Type keyword(s) to search

Elite - General Discussion

starri
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, scrb said:

I would think these elite schools for the 1% are pretty conservative so the acceptance of gay relationships seems surprising.  Ander's parents, whose mother is the school principal, readily accepted his homosexuality and even let him give up a potential pro tennis career.

But they wouldn't tolerate Nadia's hijab, so contrasting renditions of tolerance.

Presumably the show does well in Spain/Europe and Mexico/Latin American markets?  How well are depictions of gay characters accepted in these markets, especially the latter?  Are gay characters common in telenovelas for instance?

Ander's mother probably already suspected he was gay and was somewhat prepared mentally for the possibility. She seems like a loving, attentive parent. His dad seemed less accepting and like he was being prodded into acting supportive by the mom. And I don't think his mom was set on him playing tennis, either...that was also the dad's dream. He seemed very rigid and controlling, while she seems to want her kid to be happy. And they divorced, so clearly they were not generally on the same page.

I was surprised they wouldn't allow the hijab at school. All the other students get away with uniform modifications and extensive accessorizing. Maybe the anti-Muslim sentiment is that widespread. Or maybe it was just a plot device for Nadia. The school in general seems much more progressive than that.

There are lots of gay characters in Mexican telenovelas. By which I mean most of the telenovelas I've watched have a few gay characters. I don't know much about the rest of Latin America and their shows.

There’s a lot you need to see before season 4 begins. Elite: Short Stories, from June 14 to June 17.
Monday JUN 14: Guzman + Caye + Rebe
Tuesday JUN 15: Nadia + Guzman
Wednesday JUN 16: Omar + Ander + Alexis
Thursday JUN 17: Carla + Samuel

22 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I didn’t realize the short stories were going to be in multiple parts. The first one was OK.

I just watched the first 2 short stories. I really enjoyed the Rebe, Caye, and Guzman one because it was really silly and fun.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

I really enjoyed the Rebe, Caye, and Guzman one because it was really silly and fun.

Yea, it was fun. And they're an interesting combo since we never saw them interact much.

The Nadia/Guzman one was mostly boring but it had cute moments. 

I'm mostly looking forward to the Samu/Carla one. I'm gonna skip the Anders/Omar one because I don't give a shit about them and I hate Omar lol.

19 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

The Nadia/Guzman one was mostly boring but it had cute moments. 

It was soooooooo boring! Also, had they ever mentioned having another sibling before this? I don't remember there being a third child at all, but I often multitask when watching this show, so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed it.

4 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

It was soooooooo boring! Also, had they ever mentioned having another sibling before this? I don't remember there being a third child at all, but I often multitask when watching this show, so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed it.

Yes, we knew Omar and Nadia had an older sister. I think she was kinda wild and left home because the parents didn't like that and that was part of why Nadia was so uptight.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yes, we knew Omar and Nadia had an older sister. I think she was kinda wild and left home because the parents didn't like that and that was part of why Nadia was so uptight.

Thank you. Totally didn't remember that.

I've watched the first 5 now.

I don't really remember the seasons before this tbh but I feel like there's way more sex this season than there usually is. It's a bit much lol.

The 2 new girls are so stunning. I just like looking at their faces.

The only thing I'm like actually invested in is Rebe/Mencía. Everything else I'm just kinda like meh. But still, the show helps pass the time quite nicely.

• Love 2
(edited)

And has the music gotten a lot louder this season, too?  And there's more of it? Like every five minutes?   Because I have to keep adjusting the volume.  

I'm on episode 3 right now.  Story lines are a lot more shallow this season and I am missing the hell out of Nadia and Lu.  I find their absence distracting. Nadia on a couple of FaceTime calls with Guzman doesn't fill the void.

Still enjoying the watch even though it is lacking whatever it was that hooked me in the first place.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 1

I'm on the 3rd or 4th episode of the new season. Is there a plot other than the new man and his kids are all terrible and annoying people, and lots and lots of sex? I miss Nadia. I miss the characters actually having things going on other than hookups.

Also, why are they always taking such long leisurely showers in the school locker room? Back in my day, you had like one minute to shower after gym to have a chance to get dressed and to your next class on time, maybe two minutes, and people would have been super creeped out if you were checking them out and propositioning them in the group shower. I guess eons of primping and sex time are what you pay for at a super posh school.

The uniforms are even more absurd than last year.  Why do you even have a uniform if kids are just going to come to school wearing a literal bra.

I'm five episodes in, I like a few of the plot lines but they are just changing the personalities of some of the characters. Guzman has recieved a personality transplant.  Ander just not giving a shit about Omar's feelings and Omar being willing to just be treated like shit.

I think the balance of new/returning characters isn't working.  There should have been less returning characters so that it felt more like a new class with familiar faces instead of a small group of new characters coming into the school (when we lost our best female characters).

There was a lot of sex before but it seems like there's a lot more nudity with the new actors.

• Love 1

Guzman is being such a jerk, especially to Samuel. What does he have against Samuel? I thought they'd reached a more pleasant status after it was clear Samuel had nothing to do with Marina's death and their whole hideout adventure.

The new kids aren't working for me because the balance of characters is off. Almost everyone is behaving horribly with not enough redeeming traits to make me care, and they're also not that entertaining because they pull the same stunts over and over. There aren't enough genuine, healthy relationships, whether friendly, family, or romantic. When everyone is a disaster, the show has no grounding. I haven't finished the season yet, maybe things get more compelling.

I just finished.

Are we supposed to like and/or root for Guzman? He's such a prick. I don't even really like Samu that much anymore either but Guzman treats him like shit and then we're supposed to want them to be friends. Nah!

I fast forwarded most of the Ander/Omar scenes. They've just never done anything for me. And I straight-up hated Omar last season. He was disgusting. Ander should've been done with him already.

Rebe and Caya were the only returning characters I really cared about. And I liked the 2 new girls. The 2 new guys were boring.

Glad Guzman killed Armando and I hope they just leave it at that and don't have some kind of investigation of that in the next season.

The show is already renewed for season 5, right? I think the best bet would be to just have a whole new cast.

I didn't mind the new characters but I hated how they weren't developed at all.Patrick especially was disappointing.Here is s guy that witnessed his mom death and was in the same accident and his father seems to straight up ignores him.They would rather show him get naked and have threesomes in most of his scenes.Maybe its because manu Rios was already an internet sensation before He was hired for elite.

Guzman was such an ass and they seemed to have forgotten his and anders friendship until the very end.

Also rebe and meenca relationship was treated badly in compassion to the guys they had tons of sex scenes while the girls could barely kiss before some drama comes up.

4 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

Patrick especially was disappointing.Here is s guy that witnessed his mom death and was in the same accident and his father seems to straight up ignores him.They would rather show him get naked and have threesomes in most of his scenes.Maybe its because manu Rios was already an internet sensation before He was hired for elite.

He looks like a tall 5-year old to me - he has the face of a very young child. So I couldn't get into his character at all.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, this season fizzled out on me fast.  The first few episodes had me interested.  But it became a chore to watch.  I managed to slog my way to the end of episode 6 but  by the time I made it into about 10 minutes of episode 7, I realized I just don't even care how this damn thing ends and turned in off. 

I don't care about any of these stupid story lines and as far as the characters go, I don't care about most of them and the few left that I do care about; they have been reduced down to nothing.  This show was never exactly deep or anything, but there used to be some substance behind the shallowness. 

This season was just a void.

Edited by Cementhead
clarity
  • Love 3

Showrunners: We can save a lot of time and money if we just film a lot more nekkid scenes instead of going to all the trouble of thinking out plotlines and fleshing out the script and characters. Also, just fall back into the old rich snobby horny kids cliches, and forget about any empathy or maturity they may have gained through their last few seasons of hardships.

• Love 4
(edited)

Its like they thought that we would be interested in the new kids if we just saw them naked and boning in literally every episode every five minutes, but it really did not work. I know this show has always had a lot of sex, but it seemed really excessive now, like sex is all anyone ever thinks about ever. In previous seasons they spent time on platonic friendships, family relationships, character growth, their goals for the future, plus the mystery, but this season it was all sex all the time. Not even the mystery was very good, I called it being Armando who attacked Ari right away. He's not only the most loathsome character of the season, he also fits into the other mysteries, where the person who actually killed/attacked the victim was not one of the many people who seemingly would want them gone but some other person on the periphery of their story who had no real motive at all and were just around. 

They also decided to have Guzman forget the last three seasons of character growth to make him a total ass again until the last few minutes, all in the name of a boring love triangle with Samuel and some wet blanket who dresses like a sexy Muppet where no one ended up coming off great. Pretty much everyone came off pretty bad this season in general, except for Rebe and Cayetana, and I know that everyone on this show does messed up stuff, but they also always had their better aspects, while now everyone was just acting weird and pissed off for no reason. The new kids had potential, but they never really used them to their full potential. Having a new hard ass principle come in to try and clean up the mess of the last few seasons isn't a bad idea, but they're family dynamic was underexplored in favor of even more sex scenes and drama. Patrick especially was a big waste of a character, who had an interesting backstory of almost dying but pretty much existed to have sex and make drama for Ander and Omar. 

Seriously, how many murders can one group of teenagers get involved in? This season had its moments of soapy teen drama fun and was a good binge, but I just struggled to connect with it the way I did with previous seasons. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

The main issue I have with this season, aside from the lack of plot or character development, is that there was so little variety. All the characters were basically up to the same thing. Having sex, trying to have sex, having sex with more than one person and having angst about which of them to have sex with, trying to get someone to have sex with you instead of the other person they're having sex with, trying to avoid sex with a sex pest they don't want to have sex with.

Cayetana is sort of vaguely trying to become a fashion designer, but we saw almost none of that pursuit. There was a sort of debate but it was not much of a story except an opportunity for Ari to be a jerk to Samuel, tying in once again to their sexcapades.

In past seasons, there was more happening. Nadia was trying to be accepted for who she is, and also decide who exactly she wanted to be. They were competing for a scholarship. All the less privileged scholarship kids were struggling to fit in at the posh school. Marina had HIV, then was pregnant. Assorted characters were gay or bisexual and struggling more with coming out. There were family issues - parents going to jail or otherwise committing serious crimes, loss of financial security, sibling accused of murder, health scares, overcontrolling parents, underinvolved parents, I will leave out the incest plot because no one needed that. Ander had cancer. Kids were being used as pawns by parents who apparently are behind the times and think arranging a marriage is a good way to make business deals.

The characters used to have a lot of individual personality and their own concerns. Now they kind of all seem the same. Except Azucena. I think she was the only one I actually liked this season.

• Love 2
On 6/21/2021 at 5:39 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I just finished.

Are we supposed to like and/or root for Guzman? He's such a prick. I don't even really like Samu that much anymore either but Guzman treats him like shit and then we're supposed to want them to be friends. Nah!

I fast forwarded most of the Ander/Omar scenes. They've just never done anything for me. And I straight-up hated Omar last season. He was disgusting. Ander should've been done with him already.

Rebe and Caya were the only returning characters I really cared about. And I liked the 2 new girls. The 2 new guys were boring.

Glad Guzman killed Armando and I hope they just leave it at that and don't have some kind of investigation of that in the next season.

The show is already renewed for season 5, right? I think the best bet would be to just have a whole new cast.

I've never really liked Guzman and I always thought he wasn't a good friend to Samu, but I think he was a bit justified being angry with him and Ari. I was actually annoyed at Ander telling Guzman just to forgive Ari and get back together. No, she cheated on him with his friend. He had every right to dump her and not be friends with Samu after that. Just because Ander and Omar have weird rules in their relationship about hooking up with other people doesn't mean every one else does

I couldn't really warm up to the new cast. They all kind of annoyed me. I'd rather watch the OG cast hang out and we didn't get too many scenes of them together. I would have loved to see those friendships continue. I loved the Rebe, Caye, and Guzman short. Why couldn't we get more of them hanging out?

The outfits. My goodness, I love Rebe and she always had a funky style but her clothes were on another level this season.

I haven’t finished the season, just an episode or two left, but I agree with most of the criticisms here.  It’s been all soap opera-ish with the relationships and hookups.

I would add that they are going to school but they have time to go to fancy clubs almost every night it seems, where they can have alcohol all the time.  No doubt privileged kids can get around rules and laws more easily but do they have any interest in maximizing their chances to get into an elite university?  Or they don’t worry because family connections will get them in?

Some of the venues were incredible, like when Omar followed Andre and Patrick  what looked like a gay sex club, which seemed luxurious but two kids under 18 are admitted there?  Does Spain have no laws against sex between adults and minors?  Looks like Zander and Patrick were only hooking up with each other but what would have kept them from hooking up with adults at the club?

Mencia was sleeping with an older man.  Maybe in the last two episodes someone will think to report him to the police for having sex with a minor?

I saw an article this week saying they will cast a trans actor for next season.  The cast for next season was shown and most of them are back.  That means Guzman an Samuel will be on all 5 seasons of the show.  Maybe each season isn’t suppose to represent a school year?

Otherwise they should have graduated and went to university like Nadia no later than the end of season 4.

I kinda made it through season 4. I had to fast forward. It was bad. 

The originals should have all left in season 3. Instead they ruin all Guzmans growth, put them in a triangle, bring on a prostitute student and this Patrick that seemed like Valerio copy. 

Where was Valerio? He didn't graduate either, he should have been with the group at school?

Why was Lu never mentioned as also in NY with Nadia? Wouldn't they be together?

Everyone should have gone in season 3 and 4 be all new people. 

3 episodes in of Season 5 and I think it's better than Season 4. Probably cause it appears there is an actual murder this season instead of the boring mystery of last season of who attacked the person in the coma. Still haven't warmed to the daughters of the Principal as characters, I was hoping with another season I would grow to like them like I did with Caye and Rebe last season but nope, kinda wish they were written out. Patrick improved with his Short Stories adventure and his potential love interest is at least appealing, so he can stick around. Same cannot be said about Philipe's new love interest. I have no idea who she is except she has an Instagram account and thinks she is all that. Probably doesn't help that I don't really care about mopey Philipe and his woe is me act. Shame Caye is attached to his plot at the moment. I'm officially over Samuel's sad face and it seems they are giving Omar more of purpose this season with the homeless refugee.

I still think the show should have ended up Season 3 when most of the originals had left the show. But I'll keep watching, even if its for the absurdity of the way the show presents the Spanish school system. Surely that's not even remotely how school is in Spain.

• Love 1
On 4/11/2022 at 8:13 AM, Bill1978 said:

I still think the show should have ended up Season 3 when most of the originals had left the show.

I agree. Maybe it could have worked if they introduced an entirely new slate of students but it's ridiculous that Samu & Omar are still at Encinas. At this point Samu is around 19 & Omar in his early 20s (since he's older than Nadia & Samu), but they're still hooking up with 17 year olds. 

You'd think with all the traumatic events they experienced in seasons 1-3, they'd keep their heads down & focus on school so they could earn their diplomas & move on. Instead they're involved in covering up another murder!

Several storylines in season 5 seemed underdeveloped. It's mentioned early on that Omar & Ander are still together but that Ander hasn't been answering his messages lately. Then we never hear abt their relationship again. Also, what happened to Bilal? We barely got to know Isadora. Ivan was more fleshed out but I hated the storyline between his dad & Patrick. 

Instead we spend more time on Phillipe. I don't think the character is interesting nor is the actor compelling. There was an opportunity early in the season to write him out or have him get real help for his issues. Instead, he stays & commits another sex crime.

I think the inclusion of the students' families in the early seasons helped with characterisation & plot development. Now it's mostly teens with little to no parental supervision partying, hooking up & the ensuing drama. 

• Love 1

Finished the new season. So is Samuel dead? They didn't technically show his body. I would only accept his death if that means that next season the entire OG cast returns for his funeral. 

I hated the whole Ivan/his dad/Patrick triangle. So Ivan is now totally cool with being with someone his dad hooked up with?

I was confused by Isadora. So she's a rich successful DJ with millions of followers on Instagram and she's still 17 and attending school. I did like that Caye was supportive of her.

I still don't get why everyone is obsessed with Ari. She's no Carla.

5 hours ago, MaggieG said:

So Ivan is now totally cool with being with someone his dad hooked up with?

Just like Patrick is cool being with someone his twin sister hooked up with! The characters on this show have no boundaries.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, raeb23 said:

Just like Patrick is cool being with someone his twin sister hooked up with! The characters on this show have no boundaries.

None whatsoever lol. I did think that Ivan's dad was kinda hot 

It's disgusting that a 40 year old grooming and manipulating his son's high school friend/boyfriend who's like 17 into having sex with him was played as some sexy love triangle. 

S4 actress who plays Mencia does not shave her pits but other actresses do. Was it her choice or production? Usually women shave their pits.

Guzman, Omar and Sam looks too old to play high school students.

Its a very sexually graphic show very hbo esque.

I finished season 6. Every time I think I'm done with this show because I miss the original cast, something happens that draws me back in. Like this ending with a car driving up and shooting starts. I hope the shots are fired at Didac's brother because out of all the new characters I liked Didac the best. I was also happy he and Isadora kissed at the end. 

I'm happy it looks like the siblings are all leaving. Ari and Mencia were both annoying. 

21 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

I hope the shots are fired at Didac's brother because out of all the new characters I liked Didac the best.

Same! He's the only one in the next cast that I enjoyed. I also really like Isadora, but really annoyed with the trope of having to put the strong, confident woman character in her place by having her assaulted. 

The rest of the cast, especially the siblings, can go. So obnoxious that they all conveniently got held back to be around for another semester. 

• Love 1

Still on S6.  season 6 is awful so far. I’m forcing myself to finish. 

Definitely was better in previous seasons! 

Actress that plays Ariana is stunning! In episode 5? we find out Sam died. 

Why get rid of Prince Philip? 

There's a Season 7 announcement video showing a young couple from shoulder up apparently having sex.

The last season I watched was 4 or 5 and it featured quite a bit of nudity of one of the female characters.

Seems like it's becomes kind of sofecore porn with not as interesting teen story arcs.

New promo video for Elite Season 7 reveals the 8 episode season debuts on Friday, October 20, 2023. My big takeaway, aside from the arty style of the video, is the return of

Spoiler

Omar Ayuso as Omar, after he sat out Season 6.

I'm hoping that Season 7 is the last season for this show. S1-3 told a complete story - even with a weaker S2. S4 was a disappointment, mainly because they thrust the newbies to the front with a lacklustre mystery. S5 was a bit of a course correction (mainly thanks to Patrick's Short Story making me care more about that character). While S6 was a disappointing struggle to get through. While I understand logistics of getting everyone back may have been difficult, but to not start with the funeral for Samuel and give the audience a proper closure for the character that was our way into this world in the very first episode was a wrong move. It was also wrong writing out the other characters without a mention. A funeral would have been the perfect way to explain why Omar, Rebekah and Cayetana weren't hanging out and allow the audience to say goodbye. And Phillipe (while basically a non-entity) just disappeared without a trace - even though technically he was heavily involved in Isadora's storyline that played out on S6/

Instead, we were left with the Siblings being the main characters holding the fort, and they dismantled that with the breakup of Patrick and Ivan. Isadora who I still have no idea why I should care about her as a character and a whole number of new characters that I struggled to connect with. The best thing about S6 was they got rid of Ari for the next season.

And even though a lot of people complained about the increase in sex scenes, my main issue is that the show has moved so far from the structure of the first three seasons. A mystery occurs, the police interview the gang, and we get slowly drip-fed information through the interrogation of unreliable narrators. In hindsight the show should have ended with S3 even if it means we never got Patrick and Ivan.

So do they depict the older characters at university, beyond life at the high school?

Ratings must be good for Netflix to keep them on for 8 seasons.

But it's mainly soap opera featuring young actors playing teens in the last couple of seasons?