Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Crosswinds

shapeshifter
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Danny may have shown up fairly quickly, as an acquaintance of Grace or Olive and only gotten romantic a few years back.

One of the reasons I detest Danny, aside from him being an ass and all, is that he met Grace at a Deceased Spouse Group Counseling Session.  Grace spoke to the group and said something about all she wants is for someone to tell her, they feel her pain (or some such platitude) and during a break, stalker Danny came up to her and said, "I feel your pain".  Creep!  Dude, she just said that and your best stalkerish move was to parrot her spoken wish?  To me, he saw a vulnerable woman and moved in on her.  It's like asking a woman you meet at an AA meeting and asking her out for drinks.  I believe this was in the early days after the flight went missing and not long after Danny lost his family and was shopping for a replacement. Sorry, I may be slightly biased against preying assholes who use a woman's daughter as an "In" to her wares.

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Danny, aside from him being an ass and all, is that he met Grace at a Deceased Spouse Group Counseling Session.  Grace spoke to the group and said something about all she wants is for someone to tell her, they feel her pain (or some such platitude) and during a break, stalker Danny came up to her and said, "I feel your pain".  

Someone said earlier, mainly in jest, that perhaps Danny is a plant from the bad guys.  I am also saying this largely in jest, but if you wanted someone to infiltrate Grace's house and confidence, this would be the way to do it.  She would not exactly be a difficult mark.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Mikaela's apartment number is 414 (exactly 1/2 of 828).

See, this is why I read these boards. I would never have caught that (not just because I never saw her apartment number).

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

From Olive's perspective, Danny has been in her memory nearly as long as Ben.  I think she 14, so she would have been around 8 when Ben and Cal disappeared.  Danny may have shown up fairly quickly, as an acquaintance of Grace or Olive and only gotten romantic a few years back.  Assuming that she can remember back to when she was 3 (which is doubtful), Ben and Danny have been around the same amount of time, with Ben last being around 5 years ago (a lifetime to a teenager).  So it doesn't make her awful that she prefers Danny to Ben.

She and Cal were 10 when they disappeared, so depending on when their birthday is, she's 15 or 16.

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I thought that when Grace was having her fight about how much her life had been screwed up by the flight returning, and they showed Cal showing up, that it would cut to Cal thinking that his mother was sad that he was alive. which is extra awful, as he has had cancer for so long, and might have felt like a burden on the family even back then, and now here is his mom, wishing that he and his dad had just stayed away and not interrupted her new life. Maybe we get some of that later, but I cant imagine that Cal wouldn't pick up on what this fight is about. Its not like Grace spends a whole lot of time with him anyway when he isnt sick. It would take away from her angsting or yelling at Ben time!

As far as I can recall, we've never seen Cal be particularly emotional about anything. He seems fairly oblivious to anything not directly related to him (he's his Mom's son, I guess). I don't hate Cal, but they haven't given him much other than "he's the one with the special powers" to work with.

2 hours ago, CCTC said:

No one under 40 (or maybe 45) will get this reference, but she thinks she is Erica Kane (although Erica would never make Eggos).

LOL. Maybe she'll rack up as many last names as Erica.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

One of the reasons I detest Danny, aside from him being an ass and all, is that he met Grace at a Deceased Spouse Group Counseling Session.  Grace spoke to the group and said something about all she wants is for someone to tell her, they feel her pain (or some such platitude) and during a break, stalker Danny came up to her and said, "I feel your pain".  Creep!  Dude, she just said that and your best stalkerish move was to parrot her spoken wish?  To me, he saw a vulnerable woman and moved in on her.  It's like asking a woman you meet at an AA meeting and asking her out for drinks.  I believe this was in the early days after the flight went missing and not long after Danny lost his family and was shopping for a replacement. Sorry, I may be slightly biased against preying assholes who use a woman's daughter as an "In" to her wares.

Thank you! I said the same thing, when he first showed up. I totally agree with you. I was also pissed that her little girl had been looking after her, and what has her pulling herself together and smiling? A new man. Not her baby girl. Just... I'm just sick of things like that.

I haven't watched the episode, but the speculation re: the story, made me smile.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Sorry -- I missed that.  This is hardly my favorite show -- I watch it mostly because my wife likes it -- so I miss things (even big things like this) sometimes.

This definitely puts him on my Bad Guy list.

1 hour ago, CCTC said:

Someone said earlier, mainly in jest, that perhaps Danny is a plant from the bad guys.  I am also saying this largely in jest, but if you wanted someone to infiltrate Grace's house and confidence, this would be the way to do it.  She would not exactly be a difficult mark.

Considering that Cal is, of course, the "Holy Grail" [blech], it would make sense that the Bad Guys would get a Bad Guy to infiltrate Cal's home.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, toastyhoodie said:

I just joined to say that in this episode, Grace tells Cal they’re getting smoothies before school. Cal picks up his iPad to text Ben. And the time is 1:26pm. Found that pretty funny. Found at approx 8:25-8:29 in the show. 

Maybe the ipad was on the plane and is still set to pre-time jump time?

• Love 6
23 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Timeline question -- since the plane returned in November, and it's now been 25 odd days since they returned, how come there aren't Xmas decorations everywhere ?  They said it was 10 days since the explosion that killed Vance, and the previous episode was Day 17 or 18 after their return, so they should be well into December now.  No seasonal trappings anywhere.
Plus, in the first episode, it was snowing -- so despite everyone in heavy coats, all the trees still have their green leaves. How does that work ?

This is a very good observation. Episode 9 was day 28 and if we now add ten days that means we are at day 38, so we are only a couple of weeks before Christmas. Not only are we in December, and as you pointed out had snow already, and the grass is still green, but also flowers are blooming in the trees. You can see the green grass and the red blossoms on the photo at the top of https://manifest828.com/2019/01/07/110-13/.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Sorry -- I missed that.  This is hardly my favorite show -- I watch it mostly because my wife likes it -- so I miss things (even big things like this) sometimes.

This definitely puts him on my Bad Guy list.

Considering that Cal is, of course, the "Holy Grail" [blech], it would make sense that the Bad Guys would get a Bad Guy to infiltrate Cal's home.

I did see that scene, and took it entirely differently. Mileage definitely varies depending on perspective and life experiences - I don't think Danny's a bad guy at all.

• Love 2

It took me until Wednesday to finally watch this, which does not bode well for Show.

Firstly, just because Amnesia Man's wife SAYS he beat her doesn't make it true.  

Olive most definitely has a crush on Danny, and Danny seems to like playing a mother/daughter game.

Grace attempts to make waffles (Grace the WAFFFLER, geddit?!) in a toaster and burns them.  Oh, and she is allegedly a caterer.

This female major mystery is so very similar to the cloak-and-dagger surrounding the appearance of Control on Person of Interest.  I'm half expecting Camryn Mannheim to show up!

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

Firstly, just because Amnesia Man's wife SAYS he beat her doesn't make it true.

No she just ran off and gave up her total whole life and home etc to go into hiding for fun, yeah.  No I think we can take her word to the bank.  She is obviously deathly scared of the man.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, basiltherat said:

This female major mystery is so very similar to the cloak-and-dagger surrounding the appearance of Control on Person of Interest.  I'm half expecting Camryn Mannheim to show up!

I only watched a couple of episodes of POI, but, yes, Camryn Manheim would be a great villain addition--except now I'm remembering her addition on Major Crimes didn't go anywhere, perhaps because the show had already been relegated to the chopping block by that point, even though MC had decent ratings.

The plane mystery is interesting and has enough storyline to fill the show.  Why oh why are they throwing in all this stupid melodrama?

Everytime the show gets on a decent roll, they throw in the family melodrama(s).

Figure out who can be trusted (can they trust the NSA guy or is he on the inside), which survivor is worthy of trust and then get around to figuring out what happened. I guess the show runners realize that an approach like that means the show ends soon!

Just realized that there was no real crime that was solved this week unless you count finding the abused wife.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

My memory has always been horrible.  I am sure that number will pop up somewhere else and I will be attracted to it like a shiny object thinking it is brand spankin' new.

haha .. Same. Honestly the only reason I knew is because I re-watched the first half of the season

• Love 1
8 hours ago, basiltherat said:

It took me until Wednesday to finally watch this, which does not 

Grace attempts to make waffles (Grace the WAFFFLER, geddit?!) in a toaster and burns them.  Oh, and she is allegedly a caterer.

Just saw this now on Thursday.

No respect for breakfast! Who eats one waffle! No butter? Common thing on TV, to treat food carelessly. Denigrate home cooking in favor of eating out.Typical. Not an impressive caterer. I would eat a crispy waffle. Put in pocket, eat like a cracker later. No smoothie for me, gack.

Grace was wearing huge high-heeled chunky shoes with...culottes? Too-short pants anyway. I guess that's a fashion? Dr Who wears them they look awful imo. She (Grace) even came down the stairs in them. Who wears shoes like that around the house. Not really catering attire either.

If they relegate the premise to afterthought this is apparently the kind of thing they want us to notice instead. Just doing my part.

The pilot is pretty squirrelly, going off to solve this himself. He'll be fish food soon.

Nice beach house!

Edited by fauntleroy
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I agree with you.  The woman had no reason to lie about the abuse, and as you said, she had moved to get away from him.

And she didn't just move - she fled, leaving everything behind her. Those aren't the actions of someone who's making it up, those are the actions of someone afraid they're going to die.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
On 1/8/2019 at 8:11 AM, icemiser69 said:

Grace is no great prize.  I fail to see why Danny is so invested in her.  We  know he is emotionally invested in her daughter, which is pretty damn creepy if you ask me.

When the scene opened showing a guy with a scruffy beard getting out of bed with a darker skinned woman next to him, my first thought was "Grace kicked out hubby, and boyfriend jumped right back into bed?"  Then I realized it was Jared and Lourdes.  Those two guys look too much alike.

On 1/8/2019 at 6:12 PM, ams1001 said:

Did they actually figure out what was up with the snow in her vision/calling?

Sort of - it wasn't Michael, at the end we're back in the snow, you hear the voice saying find her, then they pan to hands holding a newspaper/magazine story with a photo of Michaela.  Apparently, someone has been given a calling telling them to find Michaela.

On 1/9/2019 at 1:06 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Mikaela's apartment number is 414 (exactly 1/2 of 828).

We noticed that right away!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Moose135 said:
On 1/8/2019 at 5:12 PM, ams1001 said:

Did they actually figure out what was up with the snow in her vision/calling?

Sort of - it wasn't Michael, at the end we're back in the snow, you hear the voice saying find her, then they pan to hands holding a newspaper/magazine story with a photo of Michaela.  Apparently, someone has been given a calling telling them to find Michaela.

Huh. Thanks. I wonder if we were supposed to figure this out yet. 

12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I agree with you.  The woman had no reason to lie about the abuse, and as you said, she had moved to get away from him.

And she didn't just move - she fled, leaving everything behind her. Those aren't the actions of someone who's making it up, those are the actions of someone afraid they're going to die.

So he's probably just a sociopath--meaning he is able to hide his emotions because he has none--but on this show, maybe they'll reveal that he swapped minds with someone else.

As I thought, the boy is the key. Well, okay, not the key, but the holy grail. The main thing is that the child will now be hunted by all and sundry.
Ben is better to take him away from his mother. They will not be happy until they divorce, and they will not leave their daughter to mother, and their son to father.
And yes, the moment with the blizzard is beautiful. Sneaks to the depths of the soul. Interestingly, this heroes to the north will have to go to find the one who needs?🙄