Type keyword(s) to search

Blind Items: Daredevil In The Media

No surprise: Daredevil has been renewed for a second season.  But it sounds like Steven S. DeKnight is stepping down which concerns me a bit, but it sounds like his replacements are already heavily involved with the show, so hopefully they'll pick up where he left off.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

No surprise: Daredevil has been renewed for a second season.  But it sounds like Steven S. DeKnight is stepping down which concerns me a bit, but it sounds like his replacements are already heavily involved with the show, so hopefully they'll pick up where he left off.

Stepping down as producer? Writer? Because anal me watches all the credits, beginning and end, and I thought Show runners were the same as creators, and it's Drew Goddard who created this show. Or am I just a nimrodic maroon, and DeKnight and Loeb are/were the show runners*?

*Using Smallville as an example, Al and Miles were the creators/show runners for the first six? seven? seasons, before stepping down, and their writers who became producers, then became the show runners till the bitter end and it wasn't an improvement.

ETA: It doesn't say anything about Loeb stepping down...so yay? 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

AFAIK, Goddard and DeKnight are the creators and were showrunners in season one (or, more precisely, DeKnight was the showrunner and Goddard the creator). I'm not sure about Loeb, isn't he some dude from Marvel? Anyway, I don't think he's a writer.

I suspect Goddard/DeKnight are stepping down as writers too, but the article didn't say this, so who knows.

Edited by FurryFury

AFAIK, Goddard and DeKnight are the creators and were showrunners in season one (or, more precisely, DeKnight was the showrunner and Goddard the creator). I'm not sure about Loeb, isn't he some dude from Marvel? 

Loeb used to write for DC (He wrote the awesome Batman/Superman: Public Enemies, and I think Hush), and used to write/produce Smallville.  I guess he's at Marvel now. And I saw his name in the credits as a producer.

Right, Goddard is credited as the creator, DeKnight was the Producer/Showrunner of S1. Not sure if he'll even have a producer credit on S2, if he's not going to be involved. Goddard will continue to appear in the credits as creator. I'd be surprised if either DG or SDK wrote for the season, since their prior commitments are the reason they're not running the show to begin with.

I hope they get a few women in the writers' room next season. They had one woman co-write a single episode of the first season. That's it. And it showed. 

• Love 2

Right, but that's what I'm saying. SDK isn't the creator of the show, so he would have had to negotiate for a producer credit in perpetuity, without having been the creator of the show. So I'm not sure he will get that credit. I don't have a dog in the fight, just saying I don't know that it's a given like it is for Goddard.

Right, but that's what I'm saying. SDK isn't the creator of the show, so he would have had to negotiate for a producer credit in perpetuity, without having been the creator of the show. So I'm not sure he will get that credit. I don't have a dog in the fight, just saying I don't know that it's a given like it is for Goddard.

Ohhhhhhh. I didn't know that. Not that I have a dog in the fight, either. It's just verrrrrry confusing. sigh....

Doug Petrie! Wow, Whedon's former co-writers are all over MCU these days.

I have to wonder about scheduling though, when will this next season air? Before Defenders or after?

It is announced for 2016, so it will be before Defenders which is presumably scheduled for 2017. 

The AV Club's reviews of the first season are complete, and this is the first time I've been seriously turned off by their work, and I really hope another reviewer takes over for season 2. From beginning to end, Oliver Sava comes off not as someone actually watching the show for itself, but searching high and low for the tiniest pieces of business that he can claim are evidence that the show's crew despise women so he can get attention by standing up for them. Reading his stuff, you'd seriously get the impression that the show is a never-ending parade of women getting slapped around, and in between occasional admissions of the awesomeness of Madame Gao, he pretty much refuses to ever acknowledge that Karen, Claire, Vanessa, and Elena are ever anything but helpless victims. And even when he gets away from that, the reviews are far more based on his preconceived notions of what the show should be than what it actually is. In the end he finally devolves into complete incoherency as he chastises killing off Leland before he became the Owl, before bringing up just a couple paragraphs later that his son will likely be taking that role.

• Love 3

I didn't care about the show enough to read all reviews, but I did check out the last one, and I've thought he was totally on point about the finale, I've had all the same thoughts.

I also find it great that somebody in the comic fan world (a man specifically) cares about female representation in the comic adaptations, it's refreshing.I actually also think that the show wasn't as great in this regard, Vanessa is a caricature, Claire is barely there and Karen, while having a good arc, still isn't awesome enough to compensate for it.

As for Leland, I thought his point was more that he, by himself, was an interesting character played by a good actor, so his death felt kinda perfunctory. Again, I agree. I don't care about any Owl or a son or whatever, I care about what I see on the screen, and from what I've seen, he really didn't need to die. 

• Love 3

Well, it's official. The show's a hit. :)

The San Diego-based Luth Research has analyzed the viewing habits of 2,500 Netflix subscribers in order to determine how popular programs are on the service. "Daredevil," the first of five Marvel series planned to debut on Netflix, has fared very well with an an estimated 10.7% percent of subscribers having watched at least one episode in the first 11 days following its April 10 debut. Variety does a little math to try and determine how many people tuned in for "Daredevill," stating that if 10.7% of the 40.9 million domestic Netflix subscribers have watched an episode of the series, then that's almost 4.4 million viewers in 11 days.

That's a solid number compared to other Netflix originals. The recently unveiled third season of "House of Cards" was watched by 6.5 percent of subscribers in its first month; "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" was watched by 7.3 percent while "Bloodline" has only drawn 2.4 percent.

• Love 3

So I'm watching a L&O: CI repeat on USA which started seconds ago...and one of the first commercials after the credits was a fairly lengthy one for Netflix's Daredevil, which showed numerous scenes from the series with Matt (in the black outfit), Karen, Foggy, Fisk, and those doomed Russians. Maybe it was some coincidental synergy since VDO is in both shows.  :-)  But good to know it's being promoted!

• Love 2

I really hope we'll move past the rushed romance with Claire and finally give her something more meaty and interesting. I'm not sure I'm that interested in romance on the show anyway. Few writers of action/genre shows can do it well.

I really hope we'll move past the rushed romance with Claire and finally give her something more meaty and interesting. I'm not sure I'm that interested in romance on the show anyway. Few writers of action/genre shows can do it well.

I don't think the writers of this show are that interested in romance either. The Matt/Claire romance stuff seemed rather perfunctory, when compared to the rest of the show, and the rest of the writing for Claire. It was a bit of a surprise to me when they kissed and then they were talking about "falling in love", because it just wasn't there. Not that Charlie Cox and Rosario Dawson don't have good chemistry, they do, I just didn't fee like that aspect of it was earned by the writing.

But it's great news that she's returning. Because she's awesome.

• Love 3
It was a bit of a surprise to me when they kissed and then they were talking about "falling in love", because it just wasn't there.

Exactly. I mean, I knew she was a temporary LI, but it felt so out of the blue for me. I am, however, a fan of "slow burn" romance. I mean, considering the development of Matt/Karen, I will probably be OK with it if they hook up by season 3. I was so glad they didn't force them the way the writers of Arrow and The Flash do, I'm still reeling after the latest episode of the latter.

Not that Charlie Cox and Rosario Dawson don't have good chemistry, they do, I just didn't fee like that aspect of it was earned by the writing.

There is good chemistry, no arguments, but it wasn't enough in this case. But the actress is awesome and her character is interesting. She deserves to have more screentime. I hear she's Luke Cage's LI in the comics? I hope they'll build her up on that show then and hopefully take time to develop that romance.

There is good chemistry, no arguments, but it wasn't enough in this case. But the actress is awesome and her character is interesting. She deserves to have more screentime. I hear she's Luke Cage's LI in the comics? I hope they'll build her up on that show then and hopefully take time to develop that romance.

In the comics, Luke Cage

married Jessica Jones, and they have an adorable child together

, so I'm hoping they go in that direction. I'm expecting Claire to be the Netflix shows' Phil Coulson, to be honest.

And seriously, why does she need to be anybody's love interest?

• Love 1

Oh, sorry, I guess I've heard wrong, then. I'm not a comic book reader. Agreed, the info in the article and even the stuff I've heard about Netflix's Marvel deal suggests she'll be the link between the shows.

Oh, sorry, I guess I've heard wrong, then. I'm not a comic book reader. Agreed, the info in the article and even the stuff I've heard about Netflix's Marvel deal suggests she'll be the link between the shows.

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you. She was actually introduced in the comics as Luke Cage's love interest, back in the 70's, but they've long since moved past that.

BTW, Doug Walker (aka The Nostalgia Critic) has started a series of vlogs about this show. :)

Listening to podcasts about the show is helping me with the after-binge withdrawal. Hee. I like the one by AfterBuzz TV so far. They're doing 2 episodes a week, so it's like slowly reliving the whole show through them. Which is nice. I'll probably check out the vlog too.

So was Daredevil not eligible for the Emmys or did it just not get nominated? I know the Emmys don't get give much love to shows like Daredevil unless they're on HBO or something (like GOT). 

Even if it was on HBO, I doubt it would be nominated. Since its source material is comics, the Emmys seem to overlook such shows altogether.

Daredevil got 3 nominations -- in production categories:

Daredevil
    Outstanding Main Title Design
    Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series
    Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Supporting Role

But yes, there does seem to be a bias against sci-fi/fantasy/action/comic book shows; especially in certain categories.

• Love 1

What a shame. If you take the comic book aspect away from it, Daredevil's just a good a drama as anything nominated by the Emmys. it loses a bit of steam at the end but the first half of the season was close to perfect imo.

• Love 1