Type keyword(s) to search

Everybody Loves Raymond - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Unfortunately, I can relate.  I was clearing off my desk at work and got sick of going through stuff so I was like "screw it, it's all going".  Yep, I threw away a few things I shouldn't have 😱

The part where she threw it in the garbage truck itself though.... that was the part that was super contrived.  

3 minutes ago, deaja said:

The part where she threw it in the garbage truck itself though.... that was the part that was super contrived.  

That was at the time P Heaton had some work done & it was mandatory to mention how "hot" she is in every episode.  I think I recall Amy saying the garbage truck driver had a crush on Debra 🙄

• Love 3
On 12/13/2020 at 7:10 PM, ByTor said:

I'm watching the Thank You Notes episode. Raymond is talking to Amy in the kitchen...is this THE canister that I spied in the background?

image.png.6e9fea452429e675bf25c38b09bc734e.png

That episode played today on TVLand and I looked for the canister, but didn't see it. 

Of course, it doesn't help that I have only a 22-inch TV.  😊

15 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

That episode played today on TVLand and I looked for the canister, but didn't see it. 

Of course, it doesn't help that I have only a 22-inch TV.  😊

I was so caught up with the inconsistent storyline of this episode that I missed the canister.  I cannot imagine the child of Hank 'n Pat actually saying she had no intention to send out thank you notes for her wedding.  

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I cannot imagine the child of Hank 'n Pat actually saying she had no intention to send out thank you notes for her wedding.  

Actually  Amy told Marie that she wasn't sending them out just yet. They had just come home from their honeymoon, and she would get to them eventually. Marie was ragging on her to send one to Lee and Stan right that minute.

• Love 2

They were playing all the Christmas-themed episodes on TVLand this week.  I've always wondered about the episode where Ray arranges to have a family photo taken as a gift to Marie.  There was a big conflict over the fact that Debra wanted her parents in the photo and Marie refused to participate unless they were excluded.  My question is:  Why couldn't they have just taken more than one photo?  It's not like most photographers don't take a bunch of photos.  They could have even taken multiple photos with multiple configurations, i.e. with & without Debra's parents, just the kids,  just Marie & Frank, etc.  

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

They were playing all the Christmas-themed episodes on TVLand this week.  I've always wondered about the episode where Ray arranges to have a family photo taken as a gift to Marie.  There was a big conflict over the fact that Debra wanted her parents in the photo and Marie refused to participate unless they were excluded.  My question is:  Why couldn't they have just taken more than one photo?  It's not like most photographers don't take a bunch of photos.  They could have even taken multiple photos with multiple configurations, i.e. with & without Debra's parents, just the kids,  just Marie & Frank, etc.  

I'm pretty sure this question goes all the way back to the TWoP days. I remember threads and threads and threads of frustration regarding this. I have also never understood Marie's position on this. I have photographer friends who do offer mini-sessions, but it's *still* more than 1 photo! It's pretty much how many photos you can get in in 20 minutes. Even if, EVEN IF this was a mini-session, they could have gotten one with this family, that family, whole extended family, and a few more. Even the freaking DMV lets me get a do-over photo if my license pic is bad! I hate they had to write Marie like that to make this plot work. Made everyone look stupid.

• Love 7

I was watching the 'Traffic Cop Timmy' episode this evening.  I've always wondered why, in the discussion about binding foods, Debra names yams as a binding food.  Yams are just the opposite--chock full of fiber, not to mention vitamins and minerals.

Sorry, I just had to stand up for yams. 😕

• LOL 7

I saw the 9th season thanksgiving episode with both sets of grandparents and it was just as funny as the first time I saw it, but, and this is a big but, how annoying is Raymond???  You need your special pillow?  How about at some point during the course of the day YOU go get it yourself!  I mean I know they needed to have a reason for him to walk in on Lois and Warren but even so, to quote Stefania "it is annoying".

• Love 4
On 3/13/2021 at 5:05 PM, icemiser69 said:

I don't think he should have had to apologize for that. 

Maybe not but this is Debra we're talking about.  As Ray said "Shut up Bernie I'm a dead man!"  I loved the dawning look of horror on Ray's face after he stopped feeling proud of himself and realized what was going to happen when he got home!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 3/13/2021 at 5:05 PM, icemiser69 said:

The one time he left her behind that I can remember was when she had her "curling pole" stuck in her hair.  I am still convinced that he was right to leave for the event since she had a history of not being ready on time. 

Yep. She completely invalidated his feelings about her always being late.  Even though that one time, it wasn't really her fault, for her to act like he was horrible for leaving upset me.

On 1/14/2021 at 12:20 AM, Gemma Violet said:

Sorry, I just had to stand up for yams. 😕

Then you will really not be happy with the 1st season Thanksgiving "Turkey or Fish" episode. Allie got her feelings hurt because she was dressed as a yam, and Uncle Mel said he hates yams, ALL yams, because they are very binding. I guess the writers were quite anti-yam!

On 2/17/2021 at 10:35 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

I saw The Sneeze episode tonight where Ray gets sneezed on by a guy at the airport.  Definitely an episode that speaks to me more now in the midst of a pandemic than it did on first viewing!

The BEST part was when an angry Debra, who just told Marie off for babying Raymond, got off the phone with the doctor: "Get back into bed, you have strep throat!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

The BEST part was when an angry Debra, who just told Marie off for babying Raymond, got off the phone with the doctor: "Get back into bed, you have strep throat!"

Poor Debra.  She could never win!

• LOL 2
3 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Okay, I must be in the Twilight Zone.  Several years ago, I could have sworn that I was the only one on Raymond's side in regards to the "curling pole" incident.  Just me and Ray in the corner rocking back-and-forth in the fetal position being totally out numbered.  No I am not a mama's boy, but I do know when to raise the white flag.  It seemed like everyone was pro Debra.  What has changed?  If anyone was pro Debra and is now anti Debra why the change?  I am not arguing about it or anything, I am just wondering what has changed in the thought process.

Same! I know in the TWOP forums I was severely outnumbered. Yes, Raymond could have yelled up to her before he went to the car, but a) SHE is the one who shook hands on the "AIS" agreement and b) we wouldn't have an episode if he did 🙂 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Okay, I must be in the Twilight Zone.  Several years ago, I could have sworn that I was the only one on Raymond's side in regards to the "curling pole" incident.  Just me and Ray in the corner rocking back-and-forth in the fetal position being totally out numbered.  No I am not a mama's boy, but I do know when to raise the white flag.  It seemed like everyone was pro Debra.  What has changed?  If anyone was pro Debra and is now anti Debra why the change?  I am not arguing about it or anything, I am just wondering what has changed in the thought process.

I'm somewhat neutral in this episode - I can see both sides.  Which actually is one of the things I like about ELR and why I can still watch it.  Debra has her issues for sure but Ray is no angel either.  In most situations there is fault on both sides.  With this specific episode my problem with Ray is he's a total ass.  "She doesn't care about me".  Ugh please.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Oh no, I was always on Ray's side.  I never knew why Debra (or anyone in that situation) needed to put one last curl in (or whatever) at the time to leave. Her hair looked good/was fine.  Who in their right mind sees it's time to leave (or even 5 min before) and decides not to put on their coat and grab their purse.  I mean if one of the kids had got gum in her hair somehow or spilled something on her dress, sure, of course fix it and Ray should wait.  But this was not that.  

• Love 5
9 hours ago, ByTor said:

Then you will really not be happy with the 1st season Thanksgiving "Turkey or Fish" episode. Allie got her feelings hurt because she was dressed as a yam, and Uncle Mel said he hates yams, ALL yams, because they are very binding. I guess the writers were quite anti-yam!

OMG, yes!  I totally forgot about that!  Definitely some shady yam bias there. 🍠  (By the way, that emoji is entitled  'roasted sweet potato.")

Regarding the curling iron incident, count me in as being on Ray's side in this.  Why not just put her hair in a bun and be done with it?

• Love 3

I remember being in the minority on the AIS episode (why not aim to be 5 minutes early when you’ve promised it specifically!) and The Christmas Picture.

3 minutes ago, deaja said:

I remember being in the minority on the AIS episode (why not aim to be 5 minutes early when you’ve promised it specifically!) and The Christmas Picture.

Same! Debra was too gleeful about ruining the picture. And as others have said, since she went and invited her parents, why not have a picture with only Debra's family, a picture with only Ray's family, and one with everybody?

• Like 1
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, ByTor said:

And as others have said, since she went and invited her parents, why not have a picture with only Debra's family, a picture with only Ray's family, and one with everybody?

Solutions that make sense on a sitcom??  Heavens to Betsy!  It still wouldn't have resolved the basic issue though which was Marie was pissed off with Raymond.  Which I guess was what Debra wanted.

• Love 4
On 3/13/2021 at 4:05 PM, icemiser69 said:

Raymond was always a mama's boy.  If he wasn't a mama's boy, I don't think his marriage to Debra would have survived.  She is pretty intense. 

The one time he left her behind that I can remember was when she had her "curling pole" stuck in her hair.  I am still convinced that he was right to leave for the event since she had a history of not being ready on time.  I don't think he should have had to apologize for that. 

Debra only got intense because she got worn down and fed up with Ray and Marie. She was softer and normal in the beginning and in flashbacks. Yes she knowingly married a mama's boy but maybe Marie was more tolerable before. She probably got worse after the Robert and Cinnamon incident. 😂

I agree Ray shouldn't apologize for the curling hair incident. But Debra should have ran down or yelled out that she needed help, and Ray should have went up to give her one final warning (this is Debra. Did he just meet her? LOL). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I agree Ray shouldn't apologize for the curling hair incident. But Debra should have ran down or yelled out that she needed help, and Ray should have went up to give her one final warning (this is Debra. Did he just meet her? LOL)

Yep I mean seriously what did he expect?!!! 

I sympathised with him wanting to leave on time - totally on Team Ray for that - but where he lost me was when he went sulking out to the car.  A minute or two surely wouldn't have mattered to him getting his bacon wrapped shrimp and he and Deb would have had a nice evening out instead of a Bad Day at Black Rock.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 3/16/2021 at 9:19 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

It still wouldn't have resolved the basic issue though which was Marie was pissed off with Raymond.  

That did, however, give us a pretty funny scene with Ray wheeling a sulking Marie over to where the picture was being taken on that stool she was sitting on. I could totally see that kind of thing happening in real life 😆

On 3/17/2021 at 12:00 PM, Snow Apple said:

She probably got worse after the Robert and Cinnamon incident.

Raymond talking about Debra: "Oh, you mean Peppermint?" 🤣

• LOL 4
On 3/19/2021 at 3:05 PM, ByTor said:

I always think of ELR when I see a recipe that calls for tarragon 😂

I’ve said “damn glue stick” in conversation. 

11 hours ago, deaja said:

I’ve said “damn glue stick” in conversation. 

There are a few quotes I use in conversation from some of my favorites:

Marie's Vision: When something is good, I say it's "hantastic"

The Angry Family: When I'm grocery shopping & I see croissants, I can't resist saying to myself "second floor, croissants!"

• Love 1

Two things I say a lot are both Marie quotes "You know what likes wires? Dust." and "“You know what makes me happy? Butter!” Two other Marie-isms I like are "I'm not just some trophy wife" and "Give your father his helping of miserable bastard." but they're hard to work into the conversation and like "turd hats" if you've never seen ELR you won't get the joke.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Just watched Angry Sex and in that opening scene both Ray and Robert were totally focused on whether Ray was going to get sex that night - neither one cared one bit that Marie was slamming Debra and insulting her by saying she was neglecting the boys.  This always annoys me but tonight, well full marks to my husband who said Ray was a total ass and should have said something to Marie about minding her own  business.  I did have to ask him "are you new here?" but I loved that he realized what a crap father and husband Ray was in this episode!

Just saw the Christmas episode where Ray buys Debra new cookware to get her to let him go on a golf trip.  Love this episode, lots of great lines, but, honestly, does anyone but me think it unlikely that Debra is going to get all dewy eyed over new pots??  Sorry, just not buying it 🙂 .

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Just saw the Christmas episode where Ray buys Debra new cookware to get her to let him go on a golf trip.  Love this episode, lots of great lines, but, honestly, does anyone but me think it unlikely that Debra is going to get all dewy eyed over new pots??  Sorry, just not buying it 🙂 .

If anything has proven over the series besides the constant: "Debra can't cook." I think at times, she resented being the house wife/stay at home mommy. Something I said during the final two years of the show. Deb could have gone back to work, I know they did it a few years prior and it just showed that Debra was just not a pleasant person to work around. Thinking she knew it all and even going as far as learning that through her old job, people were happy when she quit to stay at home with the kids. 

I would have preferred Larry the bag boy with a Christmas bow on him!

• LOL 2

I was raised in a home where my mom was happy to get a new vacuum one Christmas, so a nice set of pots would be a good gift.  The vacuum was in addition to her standard gifts  similar to Marie getting her yearly supply of Jean Nate.  Raymond was also working under the assumption that he was getting a tie.  If he knew about the DVD player, I assume he would have leveled up and given her jewelry.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The vacuum was in addition to her standard gifts  similar to Marie getting her yearly supply of Jean Nate. 

I always love the references to Jean Nate!!  That was a standard gift for my Mother for years - until she finally told us she had enough stored up to last her a lifetime 🙂 .

7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

If he knew about the DVD player, I assume he would have leveled up and given her jewelry.

He wanted a long week-end of golfing - anyone but Ray would have thought of jewelry instead of "all new cookware"!!

40 minutes ago, readster said:

If anything has proven over the series besides the constant: "Debra can't cook."

One of the most annoying things they did as the series progressed was change Debra from a perfectly competent cook into a doofus who couldn't even frost a cake!  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I always love the references to Jean Nate!!  That was a standard gift for my Mother for years - until she finally told us she had enough stored up to last her a lifetime 🙂 .

And in this episode, a big bottle of Jean is on the table behind Marie.  I love the continuity.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And in this episode, a big bottle of Jean is on the table behind Marie.  I love the continuity.  

I always loved how she referred to it as, “My Jean Naté.”  Details like this made the show.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Harry24 said:

I always loved how she referred to it as, “My Jean Naté.”  Details like this made the show.

And I always loved how Marie pronounced "Jean Naté" LOL

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Just saw the episode where Stefania comes to visit and there are two lines that I love both Debra:

After greeting Stefania who has just arrived she says: "So this is you after a 10 hour plane ride?  Well I just give up."

After Ray explains why his and Debra's love is like Cream of Wheat: "Hands off girls, he's mine."

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1