Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Endeavour

I almost got spoiled coming here to post about a PBS repeat episode tonight.  Shakes head.  Why don't we have separate UK and US threads anymore?

Anyways, PBS re-aired the one where Morse  has his head turned and almost hooks up with that poison pen murderer.  You could see something die in him when he saw how vile she was. 

I remember how much this episode upset me on first watch.  Between another doomed Morse attempt at romance,  poor Bright and his wife,  and that gut-punch of a final scene....

• Like 4

I thought last night was supposed to be the premier, but my Google question says Season 7 begins August 9th.  So I wonder what happens next Sunday, Aug 2nd?  I was hoping they were going to re-run all last season before restarting, but I guess we will just get a random show or two because that's how PBS likes to mess with me.

Fingers crossed that next Sunday is last season's finale with the stand off between the two police factions. That was the last one we watched, right?

1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

I thought last night was supposed to be the premier, but my Google question says Season 7 begins August 9th.  So I wonder what happens next Sunday, Aug 2nd?  I was hoping they were going to re-run all last season before restarting, but I guess we will just get a random show or two because that's how PBS likes to mess with me.

Fingers crossed that next Sunday is last season's finale with the stand off between the two police factions. That was the last one we watched, right?

Yes,  next Sunday is last season's finale. They had a preview.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Last night's PBS episode was "Confection" with the candy factory and poison pen letters. The first time I saw it, when the father's black horse went lame and he rode his son's white horse, I thought the shooter mistook him for the son.  Oh well.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 5:15 PM, Popples said:

This does not contain any spoilers even if you haven't seen series 7 yet:

Endeavour boss explains why pandemic may "throw a spanner in the works" of series 8

In my humble opinion, the 2019 (U.S.) season was the finest single series of television I have ever watched in my life. I'm not an Anglophile. I don't watch Masterpiece merely because I'll see British people doing British things (no lack of vagueness there 🙃). I have been watching American, British, and French television for over fifty years, and "Endeavour" last summer blew me away.

So if viewers have to wait 'til 2022, and if I'm still here 😳😄, I'm okay with that.

Edited by Alistaire · Reason: Wordchoice
  • Like 6

On 7/21/2019 at 3:07 PM, dcalley said:

Yes, they were in the hospital next to the girl's bed. You can see it/all the cut scenes here. <- That site is great. There are detailed reviews of most episodes if you scroll down to item number 10 here.

And if you're rewatching old episodes, don't forget the old forum: https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/1006-endeavour-v/

I hope we move on from George Fancy next season, for the sole, selfish reason that the song "Fancy" gets stuck in my head every time I even think about him. It's a great song, but two seasons of that is more than enough!

Thank you for posting the link to the cut scenes.  I have just been able to start watching Endeavor here recently and just love it and seeing these scenes helps to close some of the gaps. wonderful!

• Like 1

"DeGuello" is now airing for free on PBS.

Best single episode of television ever filmed.

Don't miss it. 

• Like 5

On 7/21/2019 at 2:07 PM, dcalley said:

Yes, they were in the hospital next to the girl's bed. You can see it/all the cut scenes here. <- That site is great. There are detailed reviews of most episodes if you scroll down to item number 10 here.

Thank you, this site is a great treat. Love the musical annotations (followed a link to another site that has every one from Morse;-)!

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 6:43 AM, Alistaire said:

"DeGuello" is now airing for free on PBS. Best single episode of television ever filmed. Don't miss it. 

Agree it is a wonderful episode!  The PBS version is 1:22 in length, and the On-Demand and Amazon versions are 1:27, with the scenes included that were cut from the PBS version.  I do not understand why PBS does not post the full length episodes online -- it's not like they are under a time constraint there.  

I'm glad I took the time to watch this again, and hope for a good start to Season 7 this week.  

• Like 3

I never get these things right so early on but is Ludo the serial killer?  When Morse said, "sometimes we don't see the things that are staring us right in the face" I snapped to.  

• Like 5

Hoping it is a woman who sliced and diced the cook who likes to jump out of the bushes with his knob out since Womens Lib is a theme.

Good of the show to mention Barrington Pheloung who passed.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Like 6

59 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I never get these things right so early on but is Ludo the serial killer?  When Morse said, "sometimes we don't see the things that are staring us right in the face" I snapped to.  

Well, we will know the answer in two weeks!  It did seem odd that Endeavour spent so much time with him so quickly.  And that a wife was never mentioned.  It is too much of a coincidence that he ran into Endeavour, and I expect a twist or two in that plotline.

This actually might have been an uncut version -- has PBS finally listened to us?  It runs 1:27, which is the ITV length.

Also, fun detail from the end credits, which always spell out an additional clue in red letters:  this week, they spelled out "SALLY ALEXANDER," who was married to John Thaw, and is the mother of Abigail Thaw.  And the real Sally Alexander was the organizer of the real event in 1970 Oxford for women's rights -- and Abigail Thaw in this episode (as Frazil) was introduced to Sally Alexander in the scene.  And "Sally" was played by Abigail's daughter.  It is mind-spinning.  

Edited by freddi
  • Like 12
  • Useful 5

10 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Hoping it is a woman who sliced and diced the cook who likes to jump out of the bushes with his knob out since Womens Lib is a theme.

Ah, mon ami, rewatch DeGuello, and then rewatch Oracle. I think the killer is male, a very unlikely male...

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

1) This series does not disappoint. I am in love, true, true, love, with Roger Allam... and Anton Lesser. Roger Allam's performance in this series offers the most nuanced version of late mid-life that in my humble opinion has ever made it to film.

2) In case you missed #1, "Endeavour" is a series as much about middle-age and late mid-life as it is about a brilliant young detective. Name one other series that shows the working-man (and woman) in as realistic a light.

3) The first forty minutes of "Oracle" confused me severely. Shaun Evans hopefully will direct many more Endeavours to come, but the amount of intuitive leaps a viewer was called upon to make in the first half of this episode distracted from at least my ability to enjoy it. My brain was trying to figure out who was related to what, and why.

4) I'm glad that the "Randy Endy" scenes were kept to a minimum. I hope this season avoids the Cumberbatch/Pulver hype that in my humble opinion contributed bigly to destroying that series. I love love... hinted at and off-screen.

5) I remember 1970 as if it was yesterday. May emerald green vests over mustard blouses rule forever :) GREAT compliments to the costume designer and art director. When you go all "Mad Men" and make a series a walking vintage fashion show, you forget that drama has to be dramatic.

And that is all I will say. Except to say: this show is the best.

• Like 17

I was confused a bit...but only as to who the first victim was.  i jumped to the conclusion that it was the dark-haired girl serving the chips.  It took me about 20 minutes to realize who was the actual victim.

I was very suspicious of Ludo from the start.  Endeavor may be our beloved detective....but it seemed very strange that this wealthy, sophisticated man would pick Endeavor out of the crowd to befriend.

Of course, the chef was set up as a suspect in the murder(s)...but he was merely a faux jogger who liked to flash women.

Very good episode.  Wonderful to have the whole gang back.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, sinycalone said:

I was very suspicious of Ludo from the start.  Endeavor may be our beloved detective....but it seemed very strange that this wealthy, sophisticated man would pick Endeavor out of the crowd to befriend.

I was certain he'd turn out to be gay. I was glad the first episode didn't come loaded too many contemporary social issues.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Alistaire said:

I was certain he'd turn out to be gay. I was glad the first episode didn't come loaded too many contemporary social issues.

I had the same reaction....that he was gay (in spite of the remark about beautiful women).

• Like 7

I just kept wondering how Ludo know where Morse lived. I just don’t seem him giving that info out. 

And good for Strange giving Morse the riot act about taking evidence home. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, sinycalone said:

I was confused a bit...but only as to who the first victim was.  i jumped to the conclusion that it was the dark-haired girl serving the chips.  It took me about 20 minutes to realize who was the actual victim.

Who was she, then?  I was confused by all the (to me) similar looking women.

• Like 1

Dislike it when Win and Fred do not get along but Fred put them in this bad financial situation.

No Days of the Week Sandwiches for a long while.

Morse in a tux ...swoon.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Dislike it when Win and Fred do not get along but Fred put them in this bad financial situation.

Beg to disagree. That scene in the kitchen about the birds makes me tear up all over again. I mean, I cried.

To be married to a spouse who reminds you day in and day out that they have forgiven you must be hell. I wish someone would nominate Allam for an Emmy.

Keep those little birdies, Fred!

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, Driad said:

Who was she, then?  I was confused by all the (to me) similar looking women.

At the beginning, there were two women who were featured....the girl serving the chips (who kept acting sort of faint), and a woman behind the bar serving drinks, etc.  She was a blond with an off-the-shoulder blouse. A brief fight broke out with her ex-boyfriend involved.  It was the latter woman who was murdered.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Wow.  At last something on TV worth watching again.  It will be interesting to see where the thing with Ludo is going.  I have to give myself props for saying that the beautiful woman in green was probably going to be his wife or fiance (my hapless SO can vouch for me).   Ludo kind of gives out a "gay" vibe though, and I wonder if there was a reason we were briefly treated to Strange mentioning the "flamboyant" TV guy that he interviewed.  Maybe not all gay men are quite that "flamboyant" and maybe some may be married to beautiful women.... 

And I'm a little confused.  Does our team think that the barmaid murder has been solved (that the grey haired professor did it)?   And they don't know that the killer is still out there and has possibly struck again?  I'm putting my money at least partially on the long-haired young Oxford guy (the whistling) but again, what is really the deal with Ludo going to be?   He washes up in town and people start dropping like flies.  And they said that the barmaid's killer was very angry - maybe Ludo is in the closet and hates women - plus interesting how he knew that the victim was wearing a necklace which is now missing.  He said it was because he saw a similar type of murder when he was young - did he re-enact that murder for some reason?  And I'm going to mention that when Endeavor was looking at the woman in green asleep on the bed, the camera panned into the cross that she was wearing around her neck.  The murdered barmaid was wearing a very similar necklace.   What's the connection?  Guess we'll have to wait with anticipation to find out!

• Like 11

4 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Wow.  At last something on TV worth watching again.  It will be interesting to see where the thing with Ludo is going.  I have to give myself props for saying that the beautiful woman in green was probably going to be his wife or fiance (my hapless SO can vouch for me).   Ludo kind of gives out a "gay" vibe though, and I wonder if there was a reason we were briefly treated to Strange mentioning the "flamboyant" TV guy that he interviewed.  Maybe not all gay men are quite that "flamboyant" and maybe some may be married to beautiful women.... 

And I'm a little confused.  Does our team think that the barmaid murder has been solved (that the grey haired professor did it)?   And they don't know that the killer is still out there and has possibly struck again?  I'm putting my money at least partially on the long-haired young Oxford guy (the whistling) but again, what is really the deal with Ludo going to be?   He washes up in town and people start dropping like flies.  And they said that the barmaid's killer was very angry - maybe Ludo is in the closet and hates women - plus interesting how he knew that the victim was wearing a necklace which is now missing.  He said it was because he saw a similar type of murder when he was young - did he re-enact that murder for some reason?  And I'm going to mention that when Endeavor was looking at the woman in green asleep on the bed, the camera panned into the cross that she was wearing around her neck.  The murdered barmaid was wearing a very similar necklace.   What's the connection?  Guess we'll have to wait with anticipation to find out!

I quoted all of your response because it's very good. I had to rewatch the episode to understand which female was the victim. A scene early on in a council-house type setting establishes a very young blonde child as "father unknown," when Morse interviews its... grandmother (?). The old woman says that Molly Andrews--the victim, the blonde waitress--"never brought 'em home" and was only lonely.

I also was confused at the hasty conclusion of her murder, but from that early scene, I take it that the killer, who clearly hated women, had had a one-night stand that produced the toddler. And THE (revealed) killer clearly hates women.

I said (above) my first reaction to Morse' millionaire BFF was that this season would have a gay theme as well as a women's-rights theme. If the guy *is* gay, it's highly unlikely the writers would make him a murderer, if for no other reason than that wouldn't be politically correct. If Morse was set up to be seduced in Venice, though, and his mistress' husband is gay but in the closet (very 70's), it's possible his being some Jack the Ripper-style murderer would be attributed to being in the closet.

It's all speculation, and I don't think the new mysterious stranger (male) is who slashed the flasher 🙂

Edited by Alistaire
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, sinycalone said:

At the beginning, there were two women who were featured....the girl serving the chips (who kept acting sort of faint), and a woman behind the bar serving drinks, etc.  She was a blond with an off-the-shoulder blouse. A brief fight broke out with her ex-boyfriend involved.  It was the latter woman who was murdered.

Yes, that's where my confusion began, because the victim looked so much like Morse' mistress. She didn't seem to be dressed in that exaggerated, almost "gypsy," fashion at the pub. And no explanation was ever offered for her murder, except that the perp may have had a fling with her (he "never talked about the beautiful ones," says his wife). A fling could have produced the never-explained blonde toddler.

• Like 3

Of course, it didn't help that they were photographing the murder near bridges and walkways in a foggy sort of night...just like the scenes after the opera in Venice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sinycalone said:

Of course, it didn't help that they were photographing the murder near bridges and walkways in a foggy sort of night...just like the scenes after the opera in Venice.

I've stayed online this afternoon because I wanted to see if I was the only one utterly confused by the first hour. The last forty minutes are fine, and clear. Once you rewatch it--and, ha, spend half a day on Primetimers--you're good to go. No matter. My favorite scenes all involved Fred. 🙂

Those little birdies... I'm going to start to cry again.

Thanks for the help understanding. I just wish there were more than two episodes to go!

• Like 7

13 hours ago, magdalene said:

I never get these things right so early on but is Ludo the serial killer?    

As soon as he appeared on the scene, I suspected that Ludo was up to no good. He's played by Ryan Gage, who played the slimy King Louis in the television series The Musketeers and the smarmy Alfrid in the second and third parts of The Hobbit. He's always the bad guy!

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I don’t think the seduction of Morse in Venice was planned. They would have had to know, not just when he was going to Venice, but when he was going to the opera, where he would be sitting, and then buying the perfect seat for Violeta to be in his view and count on him following her.

That said, Ludo is clearly up to no good. He knew how to push all of Morse’s buttons. He was definitely flirting, but to what end? 

There are several references to La Traviata in this episode. Violeta is the name of the heroine in that opera.

I loved this episode. I must say, I don’t think Shaun Evans has ever looked more handsome - not just in the tuxedo, but in those overalls, as well!

• Like 17

At some point every series, I start to worry about Thursday’s survival. It’s not usually in the first ep though. Ludo said he would find Morse’s weakness and exploit it. He also said his weakness left him. I’m worried that Ludo is aware Morse was with his wife and is trying to find out Morse’s weakness - which I think would be Thursday. I hope I’m way off base with this. I already have a sense of dread. 

I also thought it was odd Ludo knew where Morse lived and thought the pickpocket might be working for Ludo. He would have ID in his wallet. Then again, Morse wasn’t surprised when Ludo showed up so probably not. 

The idea upthread that Morse is being set up seems plausible. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Endeavour said:

At some point every series, I start to worry about Thursday’s survival. It’s not usually in the first ep though. Ludo said he would find Morse’s weakness and exploit it. He also said his weakness left him. I’m worried that Ludo is aware Morse was with his wife and is trying to find out Morse’s weakness - which I think would be Thursday. I hope I’m way off base with this. I already have a sense of dread.

Oh, me too, me too. I think most viewers wouldn't agree that Fred has been a tragic figure from the outset, and, for that reason, the series' romantic lead. 

Fred has always been depressed in a way very typical for working men past middle-age. He's heartbreaking and fights ten times harder than his young colleague to do right by his profession, and in this respect is more admirable than Endeavour, who doesn't have to fight to be virtuous. With his wife still harboring a grudge about his decision to loan his brother their retirement money, he is lonelier now than ever. (Birdies, feathers, sooo sad.)

My hope is that that final scene with Bright, where both men talk about faith so realistically, indicates a happy ending for both, but especially for Fred.

A few years ago, when IMDB still had its message boards, I commented that "Endeavour" improved leaps and bounds when it departed the "Inspector Lewis" formula of stories of the upper and educated classes, and moved the center of action away from Oxford to the streets and the "common" man. Fred Thursday is a common man, and in my opinion, the best fiction brings deserving characters to a happy and peaceful end.

So I do hope your dread is wrong, for these reasons.

• Like 9

I'm beside myself with delight to have Endeavour back. And this forum. A perfect pairing for me. So great to see old friends, both cinematic and online. Anything following that last extraordinary episode of S6 couldn't help but be just a teensy bit of a letdown for me. I expected it. But those marvelously poignant, nuanced moments from last night made up for it. Bright and the faith healers, Fred and the birds, Fred and Win out on New Year's Eve trying to enjoy themselves, prunes for dessert (with custard no less!) and the look on the wife's face as she pushed away from the table to get it for her dreadful husband. No show in all my years of tv watching has ever done those quintessentially human moments better. I found Morse patronizing ( "well, you got there in the end and that's what matters") in a way I never noted in the first six seasons. Well done, writers, because those brief moments are the bridge to the original Morse I knew (and loved) years ago. ("Lew...issss") I see this season's episodes as a set of those Russian nesting dolls, a mystery set inside of a mystery set... Well, you get it. Towpath death.  Young woman researcher's death. Flasher slasher. Morse with a new bff who appears out of nowhere and ends up being married to Morse's Venetian fling! Rats and blackbirds. ESP. (Did anyone else find it ironic that the young woman with ESP didn't realize the guy standing behind her chair had taken off his tie and intended to strangle her?) All those flashing, disparate parts made me so happy! Well, I'll stop rambling now - clearly, I've been stuck alone in my house way too long! (Is it Sunday night yet?)

• Like 12

Thinking about things since I posted earlier.  Maybe Lubo had a PI on his wife and it isn't that our hero was targeted but that the wife waa being "tailed" and now Lubo knows who she cheated with, thus his sudden showing up in Morse's life.  

I don't have happy hopes for Thursday - the actor has stated in at least one interview that he hopes they give Thursday a noble but tragic end.

• Like 6

I guess Mrs. Blish will finally get her own checkbook.  And no more prunes for dessert.  

• Like 13
  • Laugh 4

56 minutes ago, freddi said:

I guess Mrs. Blish will finally get her own checkbook.  And no more prunes for dessert.  

Don't forget the cold custard

• Like 5
  • Laugh 3

Watching this the first time, I must have glanced away when Morse was in the car with his crossword which showed a date in May. I had been massively confused, not realizing there was a time jump, and couldn’t figure why people were sitting around at an outdoor string quartet concert in January in Oxford.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

3 hours ago, Rickster said:

Watching this the first time, I must have glanced away when Morse was in the car with his crossword which showed a date in May. I had been massively confused, not realizing there was a time jump, and couldn’t figure why people were sitting around at an outdoor string quartet concert in January in Oxford.

The date on Morse's newspaper, and also at the start of Dr. Benford's audition tape for the science show, the date of May 7 was mentioned (a throwback to the ad that Dr Ferman saw in January indicating that auditions would be held in May). Strange & Max both made references to the information they had about Molly's murder "at that time". There were probably other clues that I missed. It was subtly done. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Endeavour said:

I’m worried that Ludo is aware Morse was with his wife and is trying to find out Morse’s weakness - which I think would be Thursday. I hope I’m way off base with this. I already have a sense of dread. 

That's my feeling, too, particularly after Ludo told him that if he knew his weakness he would use it to torture him. Only I think Endeavor's weakness is a damsel in distress. Poor endeavor, such terrible luck with women and now he thinks he's finally found an actual friend with similar tastes and intellect and it's just Mister Smarmy with barracuda teeth.

20 hours ago, Alistaire said:

Keep those little birdies, Fred!

He's going to keep them up his ass if need be!  I was glad when he exploded at Winn and told her just how terribly depressing his job can be -- I then added for myself that it doesn't help to come home to a woman who has maintained a permanent sour expression for at least  three seasons.  Even before she sentenced him to life without parole for lending his brother their money, she was pouting non-stop about their daughter.  I'm fed up with her.  Yes he makes me cry, too.

What a wonderful show.  I watched it again on the PBS site and saw a dozen things I didn't see the first time.  For example, when Endeavor was chasing the young toff who picked his pocket at the outdoor concert, he was blocked by a, "young college student wearing a scarf and pushing a bicycle," the very words of our barmaid's boyfriend about his competition. At that moment Ludo appeared. Hmmm.

• Like 8
  • Useful 3

It surprised me that Morse just accepted that Ludo has been at Oxford at the same time as Morse.  Especially when Ludo was so vague about his nationality and  occupation.  As a detective, it would not be hard for Morse to check on his enrollment.  It’s not like Morse to be so unquestioning.       

Is the “story about love” about Morse and Thursday, rather than about Violetta?   

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, freddi said:

It surprised me that Morse just accepted that Ludo has been at Oxford at the same time as Morse.  Especially when Ludo was so vague about his nationality and  occupation.  As a detective, it would not be hard for Morse to check on his enrollment.  It’s not like Morse to be so unquestioning.       

I think Ludo is a diabolical sociopath and has been researching Morse the better to manipulate him - whether it’s for revenge or other reasons, we’ll have to wait and see. Of course Morse would love to have a friend who shared his passion for music. His sympathy and sense of connection are triggered by Ludo’s, probably invented similarities and makes him lower his guard. Ludo says his “weakness” left him (Morse’s fiancé left him). Ludo claims to have been scarred by finding a young woman dead when he was in his early teens (Morse was scarred by his mother’s death when he was twelve.) 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

Dues-paying member of the Dread for Fred Club. Each season. And I'm always so relieved when he makes it through in one piece. Not surprised to learn that the wonderful Allam wants a tragic end as an actor--meaty and memorable is hard to pass up.

And yes, the peek at snarky Morse. Been waiting for that, too. Sad that it was towards Thursday, but, who else would make us notice so much.

So freakin' tempted to just binge 7 with PBS Passport. But I've been re-watching from season one and am into four, so that's kept me from it. So far. LOL.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

He's going to keep them up his ass if need be!  I was glad when he exploded at Winn and told her just how terribly depressing his job can be -- I then added for myself that it doesn't help to come home to a woman who has maintained a permanent sour expression for at least  three seasons.  Even before she sentenced him to life without parole for lending his brother their money, she was pouting non-stop about their daughter.  I'm fed up with her.  Yes he makes me cry, too.

Team Fred !!! 🍺 ❤️🦜🐤🌹

4 hours ago, freddi said:

Yes.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Dessert said:

I think Ludo is a diabolical sociopath and has been researching Morse the better to manipulate him - whether it’s for revenge or other reasons, we’ll have to wait and see. Of course Morse would love to have a friend who shared his passion for music. His sympathy and sense of connection are triggered by Ludo’s, probably invented similarities and makes him lower his guard. Ludo says his “weakness” left him (Morse’s fiancé left him). Ludo claims to have been scarred by finding a young woman dead when he was in his early teens (Morse was scarred by his mother’s death when he was twelve.) 

truly hope they don't go down the super-psychopath Moriarty route. That's my biggest fear.

1 hour ago, buttersister said:

So freakin' tempted to just binge 7 with PBS Passport. But I've been re-watching from season one and am into four, so that's kept me from it. So far. LOL.

Keep calm and carry on. 🤭😊 (Although the thought occurred to me too.)

• Like 2

On 2/24/2020 at 3:08 PM, 2727 said:

My favorite scene may be Dr. DeBryn telling off Morse and Thursday. I love Max.

Ditto.  And then I loved Strange yelling at both of them.  I have watched the original Morse and that tirade definitely sounded like a classic dressing down of Morse by Strange from the original.  I'm betting the actor who played young Strange watched the original series to get the tone just right.

NOTE:  THE ENTIRE SEASON (7) IS AVAILABLE ON DEMAND AND THE POST BELOW MAY INCLUDES REFERENCES TO ALL THE EPISODES.  PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I have to say I struggled with this season (#7, made up of "Oracle", "Raga" and "Zenana" ).  I know Morse (the original) had a history of bad luck (or bad choices) when it came to woman so I think it's reasonable that that trait is a defining characteristic of young Endeavour Morse.  But still . . . I found myself yelling at the TV when he gets involved with a married woman -- his friend's wife, no less.  That was a bridge too far for me.  Yes I know that he was probably set up -- that she threw herself at him on the instructions of her manipulative husband -- but GEEZ Morse!  As Hermione Granger would say "What an idiot!"

I also found that whole "You were supposed to be MY creature" speech confusing.  Was Ludo really an acquaintance from Oxford that Endeavour simply could not recollect?  I suspected the whole time that Ludo never even WENT to Oxford.   If so, why did he target Morse and try to make him his "pet policeman?"  I just can't understand Ludo's motivation.  And I find it difficult to swallow that it was Ludo's WIFE who skulked around setting up all those fake "accidents."  That IS what Ludo told Morse, right?  That's quite an esoteric skill-set she has.  I wouldn't know how to electrocute someone with Christmas lights.

As for Thursday's mad dash across the continent and his uncanny ability to find (and get into) Morse' hotel room wherein I GUESS he found something that led him to the graveyard JUST in time to save the day -- oh please.  Yes I know the whole melodramatic saga was presented as a modern-day operatic tragedy but still.  PLEASE.

Sigh. Even with all that complaining I'll still watch the next season.  Who am I kidding -- I've just retired and am in pandemic lockdown so I'm probably about to re-watch all of Morse (I've already just re-watched all of Endeavour and Lewis.)  But the bloom is off the rose.  The willful suspension of disbelief required by this show has just crossed a line for me.

But somebody help me out.  Who was it that got hit by the car when the Matildabeasts stampeded?  They didn't get the killer.  Was that an innocent man?  I binged the whole season in one go and now I'm confused.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Like 3

On 8/10/2020 at 11:09 AM, M. Darcy said:

And good for Strange giving Morse the riot act about taking evidence home. 

Ooooh, yes I had forgotten that.  And then HE DID IT AGAIN.  Mark my words . . . that bad habit by Morse is going to end up being a plot point next season.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Only I think Endeavor's weakness is a damsel in distress. 

Definitely agree but ...

9 hours ago, freddi said:

As soon as they said it was a story about love, I thought they will go the less obvious route and have it be about Fred and Morse. I do think Morse is gullible with the ladies so that will also be a factor. 

22 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Don't forget the cold custard

Tip top! I don’t know why but that cracked me up. 

• Laugh 2

This show has already aired overseas and is available on demand. In these single topic shows, it’s ‘enter at your own risk,’ spoiler tags are not required.

• Like 1

I think the story about love is definitely between Morse and fred/all the Thursdays.  Violetta is not his great love and she's sort of a skeeze. Also I thought several times that Ludo was seducing Morse.

Edited by doyouevengohere
  • Like 3