Type keyword(s) to search

Endeavour - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Last night's PBS episode was "Confection" with the candy factory and poison pen letters. The first time I saw it, when the father's black horse went lame and he rode his son's white horse, I thought the shooter mistook him for the son.  Oh well.

• Love 2
On 7/21/2019 at 3:07 PM, dcalley said:

Yes, they were in the hospital next to the girl's bed. You can see it/all the cut scenes here. <- That site is great. There are detailed reviews of most episodes if you scroll down to item number 10 here.

And if you're rewatching old episodes, don't forget the old forum: https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/1006-endeavour-v/

I hope we move on from George Fancy next season, for the sole, selfish reason that the song "Fancy" gets stuck in my head every time I even think about him. It's a great song, but two seasons of that is more than enough!

Thank you for posting the link to the cut scenes.  I have just been able to start watching Endeavor here recently and just love it and seeing these scenes helps to close some of the gaps. wonderful!

On 7/21/2019 at 2:07 PM, dcalley said:

Yes, they were in the hospital next to the girl's bed. You can see it/all the cut scenes here. <- That site is great. There are detailed reviews of most episodes if you scroll down to item number 10 here.

Thank you, this site is a great treat. Love the musical annotations (followed a link to another site that has every one from Morse;-)!

• Love 1
On 8/6/2020 at 6:43 AM, Alistaire said:

"DeGuello" is now airing for free on PBS. Best single episode of television ever filmed. Don't miss it. 

Agree it is a wonderful episode!  The PBS version is 1:22 in length, and the On-Demand and Amazon versions are 1:27, with the scenes included that were cut from the PBS version.  I do not understand why PBS does not post the full length episodes online -- it's not like they are under a time constraint there.  

I'm glad I took the time to watch this again, and hope for a good start to Season 7 this week.  

• Love 3

Hoping it is a woman who sliced and diced the cook who likes to jump out of the bushes with his knob out since Womens Lib is a theme.

Good of the show to mention Barrington Pheloung who passed.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 7
59 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I never get these things right so early on but is Ludo the serial killer?  When Morse said, "sometimes we don't see the things that are staring us right in the face" I snapped to.  

Well, we will know the answer in two weeks!  It did seem odd that Endeavour spent so much time with him so quickly.  And that a wife was never mentioned.  It is too much of a coincidence that he ran into Endeavour, and I expect a twist or two in that plotline.

This actually might have been an uncut version -- has PBS finally listened to us?  It runs 1:27, which is the ITV length.

Also, fun detail from the end credits, which always spell out an additional clue in red letters:  this week, they spelled out "SALLY ALEXANDER," who was married to John Thaw, and is the mother of Abigail Thaw.  And the real Sally Alexander was the organizer of the real event in 1970 Oxford for women's rights -- and Abigail Thaw in this episode (as Frazil) was introduced to Sally Alexander in the scene.  And "Sally" was played by Abigail's daughter.  It is mind-spinning.  

Edited by freddi
  • Useful 7
  • Love 12

I was confused a bit...but only as to who the first victim was.  i jumped to the conclusion that it was the dark-haired girl serving the chips.  It took me about 20 minutes to realize who was the actual victim.

I was very suspicious of Ludo from the start.  Endeavor may be our beloved detective....but it seemed very strange that this wealthy, sophisticated man would pick Endeavor out of the crowd to befriend.

Of course, the chef was set up as a suspect in the murder(s)...but he was merely a faux jogger who liked to flash women.

Very good episode.  Wonderful to have the whole gang back.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, Alistaire said:

I was certain he'd turn out to be gay. I was glad the first episode didn't come loaded too many contemporary social issues.

I had the same reaction....that he was gay (in spite of the remark about beautiful women).

• Love 7
1 hour ago, sinycalone said:

I was confused a bit...but only as to who the first victim was.  i jumped to the conclusion that it was the dark-haired girl serving the chips.  It took me about 20 minutes to realize who was the actual victim.

Who was she, then?  I was confused by all the (to me) similar looking women.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Driad said:

Who was she, then?  I was confused by all the (to me) similar looking women.

At the beginning, there were two women who were featured....the girl serving the chips (who kept acting sort of faint), and a woman behind the bar serving drinks, etc.  She was a blond with an off-the-shoulder blouse. A brief fight broke out with her ex-boyfriend involved.  It was the latter woman who was murdered.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Wow.  At last something on TV worth watching again.  It will be interesting to see where the thing with Ludo is going.  I have to give myself props for saying that the beautiful woman in green was probably going to be his wife or fiance (my hapless SO can vouch for me).   Ludo kind of gives out a "gay" vibe though, and I wonder if there was a reason we were briefly treated to Strange mentioning the "flamboyant" TV guy that he interviewed.  Maybe not all gay men are quite that "flamboyant" and maybe some may be married to beautiful women.... 

And I'm a little confused.  Does our team think that the barmaid murder has been solved (that the grey haired professor did it)?   And they don't know that the killer is still out there and has possibly struck again?  I'm putting my money at least partially on the long-haired young Oxford guy (the whistling) but again, what is really the deal with Ludo going to be?   He washes up in town and people start dropping like flies.  And they said that the barmaid's killer was very angry - maybe Ludo is in the closet and hates women - plus interesting how he knew that the victim was wearing a necklace which is now missing.  He said it was because he saw a similar type of murder when he was young - did he re-enact that murder for some reason?  And I'm going to mention that when Endeavor was looking at the woman in green asleep on the bed, the camera panned into the cross that she was wearing around her neck.  The murdered barmaid was wearing a very similar necklace.   What's the connection?  Guess we'll have to wait with anticipation to find out!

• Love 10
13 hours ago, magdalene said:

I never get these things right so early on but is Ludo the serial killer?    

As soon as he appeared on the scene, I suspected that Ludo was up to no good. He's played by Ryan Gage, who played the slimy King Louis in the television series The Musketeers and the smarmy Alfrid in the second and third parts of The Hobbit. He's always the bad guy!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I don’t think the seduction of Morse in Venice was planned. They would have had to know, not just when he was going to Venice, but when he was going to the opera, where he would be sitting, and then buying the perfect seat for Violeta to be in his view and count on him following her.

That said, Ludo is clearly up to no good. He knew how to push all of Morse’s buttons. He was definitely flirting, but to what end? 

There are several references to La Traviata in this episode. Violeta is the name of the heroine in that opera.

I loved this episode. I must say, I don’t think Shaun Evans has ever looked more handsome - not just in the tuxedo, but in those overalls, as well!

• Love 18

At some point every series, I start to worry about Thursday’s survival. It’s not usually in the first ep though. Ludo said he would find Morse’s weakness and exploit it. He also said his weakness left him. I’m worried that Ludo is aware Morse was with his wife and is trying to find out Morse’s weakness - which I think would be Thursday. I hope I’m way off base with this. I already have a sense of dread. 

I also thought it was odd Ludo knew where Morse lived and thought the pickpocket might be working for Ludo. He would have ID in his wallet. Then again, Morse wasn’t surprised when Ludo showed up so probably not. 

The idea upthread that Morse is being set up seems plausible. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

• Love 7

I'm beside myself with delight to have Endeavour back. And this forum. A perfect pairing for me. So great to see old friends, both cinematic and online. Anything following that last extraordinary episode of S6 couldn't help but be just a teensy bit of a letdown for me. I expected it. But those marvelously poignant, nuanced moments from last night made up for it. Bright and the faith healers, Fred and the birds, Fred and Win out on New Year's Eve trying to enjoy themselves, prunes for dessert (with custard no less!) and the look on the wife's face as she pushed away from the table to get it for her dreadful husband. No show in all my years of tv watching has ever done those quintessentially human moments better. I found Morse patronizing ( "well, you got there in the end and that's what matters") in a way I never noted in the first six seasons. Well done, writers, because those brief moments are the bridge to the original Morse I knew (and loved) years ago. ("Lew...issss") I see this season's episodes as a set of those Russian nesting dolls, a mystery set inside of a mystery set... Well, you get it. Towpath death.  Young woman researcher's death. Flasher slasher. Morse with a new bff who appears out of nowhere and ends up being married to Morse's Venetian fling! Rats and blackbirds. ESP. (Did anyone else find it ironic that the young woman with ESP didn't realize the guy standing behind her chair had taken off his tie and intended to strangle her?) All those flashing, disparate parts made me so happy! Well, I'll stop rambling now - clearly, I've been stuck alone in my house way too long! (Is it Sunday night yet?)

• Love 12

Thinking about things since I posted earlier.  Maybe Lubo had a PI on his wife and it isn't that our hero was targeted but that the wife waa being "tailed" and now Lubo knows who she cheated with, thus his sudden showing up in Morse's life.  

I don't have happy hopes for Thursday - the actor has stated in at least one interview that he hopes they give Thursday a noble but tragic end.

• Love 6

Watching this the first time, I must have glanced away when Morse was in the car with his crossword which showed a date in May. I had been massively confused, not realizing there was a time jump, and couldn’t figure why people were sitting around at an outdoor string quartet concert in January in Oxford.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Rickster said:

Watching this the first time, I must have glanced away when Morse was in the car with his crossword which showed a date in May. I had been massively confused, not realizing there was a time jump, and couldn’t figure why people were sitting around at an outdoor string quartet concert in January in Oxford.

The date on Morse's newspaper, and also at the start of Dr. Benford's audition tape for the science show, the date of May 7 was mentioned (a throwback to the ad that Dr Ferman saw in January indicating that auditions would be held in May). Strange & Max both made references to the information they had about Molly's murder "at that time". There were probably other clues that I missed. It was subtly done. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Endeavour said:

I’m worried that Ludo is aware Morse was with his wife and is trying to find out Morse’s weakness - which I think would be Thursday. I hope I’m way off base with this. I already have a sense of dread. 

That's my feeling, too, particularly after Ludo told him that if he knew his weakness he would use it to torture him. Only I think Endeavor's weakness is a damsel in distress. Poor endeavor, such terrible luck with women and now he thinks he's finally found an actual friend with similar tastes and intellect and it's just Mister Smarmy with barracuda teeth.

20 hours ago, Alistaire said:

Keep those little birdies, Fred!

He's going to keep them up his ass if need be!  I was glad when he exploded at Winn and told her just how terribly depressing his job can be -- I then added for myself that it doesn't help to come home to a woman who has maintained a permanent sour expression for at least  three seasons.  Even before she sentenced him to life without parole for lending his brother their money, she was pouting non-stop about their daughter.  I'm fed up with her.  Yes he makes me cry, too.

What a wonderful show.  I watched it again on the PBS site and saw a dozen things I didn't see the first time.  For example, when Endeavor was chasing the young toff who picked his pocket at the outdoor concert, he was blocked by a, "young college student wearing a scarf and pushing a bicycle," the very words of our barmaid's boyfriend about his competition. At that moment Ludo appeared. Hmmm.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10

It surprised me that Morse just accepted that Ludo has been at Oxford at the same time as Morse.  Especially when Ludo was so vague about his nationality and  occupation.  As a detective, it would not be hard for Morse to check on his enrollment.  It’s not like Morse to be so unquestioning.       

Is the “story about love” about Morse and Thursday, rather than about Violetta?   

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, freddi said:

It surprised me that Morse just accepted that Ludo has been at Oxford at the same time as Morse.  Especially when Ludo was so vague about his nationality and  occupation.  As a detective, it would not be hard for Morse to check on his enrollment.  It’s not like Morse to be so unquestioning.       

I think Ludo is a diabolical sociopath and has been researching Morse the better to manipulate him - whether it’s for revenge or other reasons, we’ll have to wait and see. Of course Morse would love to have a friend who shared his passion for music. His sympathy and sense of connection are triggered by Ludo’s, probably invented similarities and makes him lower his guard. Ludo says his “weakness” left him (Morse’s fiancé left him). Ludo claims to have been scarred by finding a young woman dead when he was in his early teens (Morse was scarred by his mother’s death when he was twelve.) 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Dues-paying member of the Dread for Fred Club. Each season. And I'm always so relieved when he makes it through in one piece. Not surprised to learn that the wonderful Allam wants a tragic end as an actor--meaty and memorable is hard to pass up.

And yes, the peek at snarky Morse. Been waiting for that, too. Sad that it was towards Thursday, but, who else would make us notice so much.

So freakin' tempted to just binge 7 with PBS Passport. But I've been re-watching from season one and am into four, so that's kept me from it. So far. LOL.

• Love 11
On 2/24/2020 at 3:08 PM, 2727 said:

My favorite scene may be Dr. DeBryn telling off Morse and Thursday. I love Max.

Ditto.  And then I loved Strange yelling at both of them.  I have watched the original Morse and that tirade definitely sounded like a classic dressing down of Morse by Strange from the original.  I'm betting the actor who played young Strange watched the original series to get the tone just right.

NOTE:  THE ENTIRE SEASON (7) IS AVAILABLE ON DEMAND AND THE POST BELOW MAY INCLUDES REFERENCES TO ALL THE EPISODES.  PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I have to say I struggled with this season (#7, made up of "Oracle", "Raga" and "Zenana" ).  I know Morse (the original) had a history of bad luck (or bad choices) when it came to woman so I think it's reasonable that that trait is a defining characteristic of young Endeavour Morse.  But still . . . I found myself yelling at the TV when he gets involved with a married woman -- his friend's wife, no less.  That was a bridge too far for me.  Yes I know that he was probably set up -- that she threw herself at him on the instructions of her manipulative husband -- but GEEZ Morse!  As Hermione Granger would say "What an idiot!"

I also found that whole "You were supposed to be MY creature" speech confusing.  Was Ludo really an acquaintance from Oxford that Endeavour simply could not recollect?  I suspected the whole time that Ludo never even WENT to Oxford.   If so, why did he target Morse and try to make him his "pet policeman?"  I just can't understand Ludo's motivation.  And I find it difficult to swallow that it was Ludo's WIFE who skulked around setting up all those fake "accidents."  That IS what Ludo told Morse, right?  That's quite an esoteric skill-set she has.  I wouldn't know how to electrocute someone with Christmas lights.

As for Thursday's mad dash across the continent and his uncanny ability to find (and get into) Morse' hotel room wherein I GUESS he found something that led him to the graveyard JUST in time to save the day -- oh please.  Yes I know the whole melodramatic saga was presented as a modern-day operatic tragedy but still.  PLEASE.

Sigh. Even with all that complaining I'll still watch the next season.  Who am I kidding -- I've just retired and am in pandemic lockdown so I'm probably about to re-watch all of Morse (I've already just re-watched all of Endeavour and Lewis.)  But the bloom is off the rose.  The willful suspension of disbelief required by this show has just crossed a line for me.

But somebody help me out.  Who was it that got hit by the car when the Matildabeasts stampeded?  They didn't get the killer.  Was that an innocent man?  I binged the whole season in one go and now I'm confused.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3
On 8/10/2020 at 11:09 AM, M. Darcy said:

And good for Strange giving Morse the riot act about taking evidence home. 

Ooooh, yes I had forgotten that.  And then HE DID IT AGAIN.  Mark my words . . . that bad habit by Morse is going to end up being a plot point next season.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Only I think Endeavor's weakness is a damsel in distress. 

Definitely agree but ...

9 hours ago, freddi said:

Is the “story about love” about Morse and Thursday, rather than about Violetta?   

As soon as they said it was a story about love, I thought they will go the less obvious route and have it be about Fred and Morse. I do think Morse is gullible with the ladies so that will also be a factor. 

22 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Don't forget the cold custard

Tip top! I don’t know why but that cracked me up. 

• LOL 2

This show has already aired overseas and is available on demand. In these single topic shows, it’s ‘enter at your own risk,’ spoiler tags are not required.

• Love 1

I think the story about love is definitely between Morse and fred/all the Thursdays.  Violetta is not his great love and she's sort of a skeeze. Also I thought several times that Ludo was seducing Morse.

Edited by doyouevengohere
  • Love 3

I agree with everyone about how overjoyed I am that this show is back. But I want to throw in some applause for the writers (and wardrobe department) for hitting so many correct notes about 1970. The Second Wave of the women's movement was rolling, and so many men were so awful about it. And the research on the paranormal -- I grew up near Stanford University and in 1972 or 73 (can't remember) I met Uri Geller at a private party. I was only 12 or13, and friends with one of Russell Targ's children. Paranormal stuff was everywhere -- it was huge. 

And I SWEAR I had that blouse that the more low-key waitress was wearing. Like, that exact blouse.

• Love 11

Oh, and when Ludo first came on the screen and said "We were up at Oxford together, I was in (whichever) college and you were in, um, which one was it?" and Morse walks right into it by saying "Lonsdale". I was all "Oh dude, you were not at Oxford, you don't know Morse, you're a bad guy." My husband will provide corroborating testimony. 😀

• LOL 4
  • Love 13

I truly hope they don't go down the super-psychopath Moriarty route. That's my biggest fear.

I agree. I hate it when they have recurring "nemesis" character. They do it on all the US cop shows and it drives me nuts. It's so boring and IMO, lazy writing.

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, Azubah said:

Oh, and when Ludo first came on the screen and said "We were up at Oxford together, I was in (whichever) college and you were in, um, which one was it?" and Morse walks right into it by saying "Lonsdale". I was all "Oh dude, you were not at Oxford, you don't know Morse, you're a bad guy." My husband will provide corroborating testimony. 😀

I agree. Luda is obviously evil ...but he didn’t say he was in the same college as Morse. He’s smarter than that. He said he was in another college & then acted like he couldn’t remember which college Morse attended. I’m sure that the whole thing is a lie and Ludo didn’t study at Oxford.

• Love 8

We were up at Oxford together

I could be wrong, but in my rewatch (of early seasons), I seem to recall someone (maybe Morse) saying that if you were actually there, you'd say, we were up together. Not mentioning Oxford. So that set off alarm bells in my head. Also, you can't remember which college? Wha? 

Edited by buttersister
Rewatch time frame
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Alistaire said:

I haven't read new threads because it seems that spoilers will be allowed, and having the season spoiled for me would ruin the only nice thing about summer, 2020. [snip]

So when Fred looked at his wife and said--with such bitterness and despair--"You don't know what it's like, the blood, the hatred," I felt such an affinity with this fictional character. Someone on another site says "Endeavour" has "Shakespearean gravitas." [snip]

But Fred Thursday's bitterness and dangerous discouragement felt Shakespearean to me, almost as if Roger Allam broke the fourth wall. I do hope lovable, flawed, everyman Fred doesn't die this season. His next scene in "Oracle" is with Winifred at the murder of Dr. Benford (sp?). All he cares about is if she's okay. Fred wears his heart on his sleeve, and if he were to leave "Endeavour"... Well, I don't want to think about that 🙂

No spoilers here.  I was surprised at the weariness of Fred in the early scene with Dorothea Frazil after the first murder.  And more surprised at the tension between Morse and Thursday.  I thought the high notes at the end of the sixth season might have translated into a few moments of triumph as everyone took over the power of authority again.  Those corrupt police were miserable characters.  Overcoming that is worth some celebration beyond that final scene.  

• Love 11
On 8/12/2020 at 9:02 PM, buttersister said:

I could be wrong, but in my rewatch (of early seasons), I seem to recall someone (maybe Morse) saying that if you were actually there, you'd say, we were up together. Not mentioning Oxford. So that set off alarm bells in my head.

I'm pretty sure Ludo did just say "we were up together" when he first met Morse. It was only when he was introduced to Strange (at Morse's house) that he added in the Oxford part, presumably since Strange is a non-Oxford man. (And then Strange rambled on about also being "up at Oxford" with Morse, too, and I couldn't tell if he was deliberately making fun, or not... oh, Strange!).

I am convinced Thursday is going to die horribly and tragically, but not until the final episode of Endeavour, so not this season. (Is next season the confirmed last, btw?) Watch me be wrong!

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I am convinced Thursday is going to die horribly and tragically, but not until the final episode of Endeavour, so not this season. (Is next season the confirmed last, btw?) Watch me be wrong

This is my theory as well. It's going to be so heart-wrenching and devastating for Morse that he never mentions him again, which is why Thursday's name never comes up in the original Inspector Morse show (which I just finished a couple of weeks ago; I still like Endeavour more).

• Love 5

Finally found time for a 2nd viewing and picked up on the comments about cats (gone missing then mutilated,  is what I understood) Ms. Frazill (sp. sorry) made to Morse at the Women's Meeting where he went to meet Dr. Benson. I think that unpleasantness will come around again. There's very little that's random in the writing of these storylines. Sometimes my 2nd viewing of an Endeavour episode is like watching a brand new show, especially the first few scenes that flash by. Looking forward to gathering a few more pieces of the puzzle tomorrow night.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, tootsie said:

Finally found time for a 2nd viewing and picked up on the comments about cats (gone missing then mutilated,

I'm guessing whoever is mutilating cats is feeding the rats.  I had a nightmare about those rats after last week's show!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Alistaire said:

(Which survived--Jago or Box? I thought both, shot at such close range, would have died, but Bright claims at the end of DeGuello that one survived.)

I think Box (he was the less corrupt of the two, right? the dark haired one?) was said to have a 50-50 chance. Jago (the ginger) was definitely dead.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I think Box (he was the less corrupt of the two, right? the dark haired one?) was said to have a 50-50 chance. Jago (the ginger) was definitely dead.

Just watched Deguello last week, so can say with certainty, yes, you are correct on all counts.  Box showed some signs of potential redemption and regret in this episode (not much, but little bat squeaks in the air), so it was a neat way to wrap up his story -- if you hated him anyway, or if you wanted to see his redemption, you could identify with either side of the 50-50.  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 2

Sighs. This is a very down beat season.  It bothers me that Morse is friends with Ludo.  I am less sure he is a killer after this episode but he is such a poser and so gauche....his house, blech.   And until the final moments of the episode Morse hadn't actually slept with the wife of his friend.  Not knowingly he hadn't.  But now he has and it may be conventional of me but I am disappointed in him.

As to the serial killer. Unfortunately I was spoiled enough  on this thread to have certain suspicions.  To be considerate to unspoiled posters I will wait to discuss until next Sunday's season finale.

• Love 6

Completely unspoiled about where this ends up -- but this episode ("Raga") felt like a few crimes tacked on to a flimsy main story about Ludo and Violetta, who both still seem very problematic.  I assume that they remain in the narrative to become part of the third episode, but their appearance here felt very forced.  And Ludo -- who asks a new acquaintance to rate his wife?  And then says "I don't know what I'd do without her"?  That is heavy foreshadowing, or a threat.   I did like the musical score at the start, which was very 1950s movie score style.  

So, we are to assume that the teenager Gary, with his bloody jeans, did stab the Asian teenager who later died (as reported on the radio)?  And, if the doctor was unmarried and the girlfriend in the process of getting divorced, why would the secrecy at her apartment be necessary?  With the visits timed at the same time each week?  That is the behavior of someone cheating, not dating.  

Is it wrong that I will go out to find a takeout curry in the next day or two?  I did not realize how much I miss Indian food until I watched the orders be served and cooked.  

P.S. -- the red letters in the end credits spelled out "FANNY AND JOHNNIE CRADOCK", a television man/woman cooking duo on 1950s BBC television.  Same time frame as the "first" Mrs. Prince.  "We had a show fifteen years ago..."  

• Love 6

No spoilers here.

I'll be the odd person out, I suppose, but if I had a list of least favorite Endeavour episodes (which I don't because it would be very, very short and what would be the point?) this one would be on it. The grieving mother's epiphany and final speech didn't ring true (from "I hope they all die screaming" to acknowledging that they all had a role in her son's death was just too fast an emotional leap imo) Young solitary woman walking on towpath where previous murders had occurred wasn't credible to me. Max's eventual observation that they'll probably find blood in the drain seemed tacked on.  Really? A body was sawn apart and the bathroom was visually pristine? I won't even mention Ludo 's sense of style which is just so painful, even for the early 70's (which yes, I know were pretty awful...I lived through them, but still...the guy's rich as Midas and should do better.) There's never enough Bright but I did appreciate Strange and the cooking show and at least there was Thursday to improve the evening, his feeling for the young fatherless Polish boy, being humble before Morse and a little uncertain, doggedly watching over the towpath and following the whistler. Fred was the Bright spot (ha!) in what was for me a lackluster episode. But a lackluster Endeavour is still better than just about anything else I could watch, so there is that. Only 3 episodes this year so next week should be a corker! Some horrible person is out there doing awful things to animals and single people (for the past 6 months...how long has Ludo been in Oxford?) Give me a credible solution and a big ending next week, show. Please.

• Love 11