Type keyword(s) to search

Endeavour - General Discussion

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, freddi said:

Except, that "memory" probably was not true, as Ludo (or whatever his name was) said he found her on the back streets of Naples at age fifteen.  Does not sound like an opera-attending upbringing.  But maybe she adopted this as her backstory.  If she really loved Morse, you'd think she went to the opera on December 31, 1970 (the second time he saw her) in the hope he would find her.  

I am still completely baffled at the reason Ludo thought that Morse would be his "creature" -- what on earth good would that have done?  Generally, scam artists tend to stay away from the authorities.  And I have to say that earning a "fortune" 7000 pounds at a time (after the payoff to the insurance holder) is hardly a way to create a lavish lifestyle.  And every 7000 pounds would be another murder, so very labour-intensive.  

The ones the reporter found were all in about the same range when it came to insurance value.  However, I suspect there were bigger payoffs that were more cleverly disguised that the reporter never uncovered.

• Love 3

Too short a series, but then they could never be long enough for me. I appreciate the effort to explain Thursday as it’s an effort a lot of prequels do not bother with and shows a reverence for the show that made this one possible. I didn’t watch it, but it’s a legend and this respects its fans who made the move. 

Morse’s criticisms cut at the core of how Thursday sees himself, “a copper, first, last and always.” Deeply personal. Too much so to be forgotten. There will be a lasting chill and it will not be the same. Thursday is too long on the job at this point and needs to retire, but cannot. It’s a recipe for disaster and all but guarantees a sad end for him. Morse seeing the man who trained him fall so far and loving that man’s daughter, unattainable by way of knowing she does not want to be her mother, would believably shut the door on it all and have him not speak of it. 

Shaun is gorgeous and it was great to see lone wolf Morse in a once in a lifetime love affair that put it on display. I thought the actress who played Violetta did a great job selling the operatic what could never be relationship too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

The ones the reporter found were all in about the same range when it came to insurance value.  However, I suspect there were bigger payoffs that were more cleverly disguised that the reporter never uncovered.

Agree.  And who is ready to sign up for the series "Frazil"?  Endeavour never would have found the insurance scheme if she had not noticed all the odd deaths.  And she was the one who first learned about the death of Mrs. Bright (but how?  no one would have called for emergency help, as she was alone).   

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Yeah, that was weird. I'm assuming Strange was still in the hospital and Morse didn't want to bother him, but surely he knew Joan (who was supposed to have been home for Christmas) would have done the same thing with the letter that Mrs. Thursday did-- show it to Fred immediately! So maybe Morse really did want Fred to follow (hence leaving the cemetery map easily visible... and maybe even his hotel room unlocked!).

He hoped Thursday would get it.

The letter served several purposes - as an apology and heads up to Thursday and as love letter to Joan. At the end, he says that if things turn out badly, in other words, if he dies, he wants her to know that he was always hers.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Dessert said:

He hoped Thursday would get it.

The letter served several purposes - as an apology and heads up to Thursday and as love letter to Joan. At the end, he says that if things turn out badly, in other words, if he dies, he wants her to know that he was always hers.

Yes, the “Always ... Yours” got me. Loving again does not diminish what came before. 

• Love 11

So, did Ludo know about Violetta and Morse the whole time?  Or did it really go on for an entire year, and Ludo really did find out around the next Christmas season when he made that phone call?  I have no idea.  

And how was that dancer's apartment left alone after she died?  Even if Violetta was paying the rent (How?  without Ludo knowing?), the dancer's estate would have taken care of the contents if she died intestate, which I would assume.  Her death was known, and she died in her own apartment.  The bureaucracy of death would have dealt with her belongings and any valuables.  

P.S. -- a public, vivid death like that in Oxford, and Morse would not have remembered it?  

Edited by freddi
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I googled zenana before the show played and the Google definition said it was the part of a house in certain countries where women and girls are kept secluded. So I attached the word to the women-only Oxford college (forgot name. sorry) who are voluntarily secluded from men and want to keep it that way. I didn't (still don't) understand why the episode's title would highlight only that smallish portion of the story unless it was because it was their uncovering Towpath killer #2 that made everyone reexamine their conclusions. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
18 minutes ago, Alistaire said:

I am so glad the villains in "Endeavour" have been plain human criminals.)

They’ve told a number of baroque serial killer stories. I love Fugue, but the villain is quite bizarre as is the one in Game and several other episodes. 

• Love 2

Just an off the cuff remark here: Violetta reminded me of a song popular around 1969 (more in England than the US) called "Where Do You Go To My Lovely".   I wonder if the writers thought about that song as an inspiration for her character? 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

Just an off the cuff remark here: Violetta reminded me of a song popular around 1969 (more in England than the US) called "Where Do You Go To My Lovely".   I wonder if the writers thought about that song as an inspiration for her character? 

No, it is definitely meant to be Violetta in "La Traviata," who has an analogous plot line-- the red letters in the credits even spell out the opera name.  See my notes at the top of this page on Violetta in that opera.  

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Alistaire said:

I have to find "Fugue" somewhere and rent it. It gets high marks on IMDB, and I've read some interviews with cast members in which it's referred to. I'm drawing a blank. I think we're not in disagreement.

I think you’ll love Fugue, mainly for a scene at the end between Thursday and Morse. It’s brilliant - one of the most important in the entire series. Fred articulates his philosophy and very movingly advises Morse about how to endure the darkness they face. It also goes a long way towards explaining Fred’s current struggles. To a degree, he’s lost the touchstone he talks about in Fugue.

Edited by Dessert
Typo.
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Dessert said:

I think you’ll love Fugue, mainly for a scene at the end between Thursday and Morse. It’s brilliant - one of the most important in the entire series. Fred articulates his philosophy and very movingly advises Morse about how to endure the darkness they face. It also goes a long way towards explaining Fred’s current struggles. To a degree, he’s lost the touchstone he talks about in Fugue.

That's the scene that began my adoration of Roger Allam, he is so incredible at the end of Fugue. It's my favorite episode of Series 1.

Edited by Popples
Syntax error
  • Love 3

To poke a few more holes in the storyline, how did Ludo find his victims? Going door to door? There are a limited number of people who want to sell their policies. I assumed Ludo had a company that advertised to buy up policies, and I thought Morse or the reporter were going to track who bought the policies. But Morse seemed to make the connection through the dancer’s death.

And I’m another who doesn’t understand how Sturgis, who had several people vouch for him, did the first murder. The alibi was just waved away.

I did enjoy the operatic ending.

edited to add: I was shocked that Morse left Strange with a pole sticking out of his gut to search for the killer When he should have been calling for an ambulance

Edited by Rickster
  • Love 6

There was some question of how Thursday knew the hotel where Morse was staying.  Pre-cell-phone, pre-email, it was common to leave contact information with work when away from the usual phone contact numbers, or when traveling.  Remember that Ludo "found out" about the affair when he called the number Morse had left with his office in case they needed to find him during his tryst (which seemed idiotic to me).  I would expect he would have left his contact information with the police office for the holiday.  Even if it was just a phone number, that would not be hard to track down.  I have friends of Morse's generation that still do that when they leave town, providing contact information to a variety of people that might need to get in touch with them.  

• Love 7

So many great thoughts above. I was going with the story until the psychic girl’s brother from the fire was the murderer...

So who was Strange hearing upstairs? I was waiting for it to be the terrible grandfather.

Crazy coincidence - I watched a Leverage rerun that taped late Sunday with the core scam revolving around...buying insurance policies from people about to die. 

When Morse and Thursday are at the house watching Strange being wheeled out and Morse saying Strange knows the details and how they both ended up there - I could swear that there was another episode that ended almost identically?

Finally we see Morse being the jerk he could be at times. Strange and Dr De Bryn were terrific in that scene.

So is Morse going to run into a Geordie patrol cop at some point? 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Rickster said:

edited to add: I was shocked that Morse left Strange with a pole sticking out of his gut to search for the killer When he should have been calling for an ambulance

O, me, too! But then I decided Morse didn't see it because Strange was clasping the hilt with both hands & managed to gasp (in what I thought was a remarkably unstabbed-sounding voice,) "Go after him" (or something like that.) Of course, I always give Endeavour the benefit of the doubt. I can't help it.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

It takes me out of the plot every time I see Thursday with his birds. That cage is way too small for those birds.

Oh, yes -- and I thought I was seeing only one bird, then saw the cat!  But finally saw the two birds.

But when did they get a cat?  That cat was under a year old, so would have been acquired in the preceding year, post-birds.  Was this Mrs. Thursday's passive-aggressive way of getting back at the birds?  It is like a Raymond Chandler short story of insidious revenge!  

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, freddi said:

Oh, yes -- and I thought I was seeing only one bird, then saw the cat!  But finally saw the two birds.

But when did they get a cat?  That cat was under a year old, so would have been acquired in the preceding year, post-birds.  Was this Mrs. Thursday's passive-aggressive way of getting back at the birds?  It is like a Raymond Chandler short story of insidious revenge!  

Plus it was in an episode the concerned cats being eviscerated all over town. It gave me the creeps. Did we ever see Thurday's cat again?

Plus it was in an episode the concerned cats being eviscerated all over town. It gave me the creeps. Did we ever see Thurday's cat again?

Oh, yes, we saw it at Christmas in this episode, so it was fine.  And now safe from the demon brother.  

• Love 2

I just rewatched the finale because I was curious about the timing of Ludo’s telling Morse that he suspected Violetta was cheating on him. Sure enough, it was immediately after he saw the files at Morse’s house about the  suspicious accidents that he expressed concern about her infidelity. I think he knew all along. Since Morse would soon discover the truth about his scam he needed an exit plan and had one ready.

I think he planned to kill Morse and possibly make it look like a suicide by a scorned lover and disgraced cop ...or an accident. In Venice, he said that he had wanted to kill Morse in England, but Violetta had talked him out of it. Her breaking cruelly with Morse in that theatrical confrontation at the restaurant was part of the bargain. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Just found this site with insightful (e.g., mentioning "Don't Look Now") reviews of the series:

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/endeavour-series-7-episode-1-review-an-intriguing-mix-of-horror-and-mordant-wit/

Ludo not only knew of Violetta's affair with Morse; he masterminded it, the better to acquire a pet policeman who would turn a blind eye to the murderous Talenti business. IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if Season 8 reveals that these two criminals were garden-variety English pretending, like the real-life actors, to be Italian. Meta. All the world's a stage. 

Fred's little bird Joan has flown the proverbial coop, so....The new budgies bring color, song, and joy to his life. I do wish this episode had shown thirty seconds of the long-married Thursdays tripping the light fantastic, though, as a better counterpoint to Morse, his operas, and yet another of his doomed affairs.

Did I miss Morse's visits to interview the families of the victims he suspected were killed for their insurance? Or was Mr. Bright to suffice?

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3

Someone pointed out earlier (sorry for not remembering your name) that Violetta was obviously dressed and placed at the opera to capture someone's eye.  Since she mentioned going each year on New Year's Eve, it could be she and Ludo staged this each year  assuming most attendees would be people of wealth or at least some importance.  That the"captured" Morse was an Oxford policeman was truly a bonus for Ludo.  I hardly think her going to bed with her target was the first time....so Ludo was not upset by that fact.  And carrying on the affair in Oxford worked to their benefit....kept Morse distracted and gave them an insight into to whether the insurance scam victims were being investigated at all.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

I never watched the Inspector Morse series, but I'm interested in it now so I chose a random episode on Youtube today.  Season 6 Episode 2.  Well not totally random, it had Rupert Graves, Martin Clunes and Anna Massey in it.  It was very good, but at one point Morse's boss takes him off the case and Morse shouts, "I've never been taken off a case in my life!"  Wasn't he taken off this one?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Wasn't he taken off this one?

Yes. There are discrepancies between Endeavour and Inspector Morse. For instance, in the original series Morse is a reckless driver and is even forced to take driving lessons - to hilarious effect.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I never watched the Inspector Morse series, but I'm interested in it now so I chose a random episode on Youtube today.  Season 6 Episode 2.  Well not totally random, it had Rupert Graves, Martin Clunes and Anna Massey in it.  It was very good, but at one point Morse's boss takes him off the case and Morse shouts, "I've never been taken off a case in my life!"  Wasn't he taken off this one?

The first one I ever saw had Sean Bean in it. I think he even died in that one. 😜

• LOL 3

The animosity between Morse and Fred this season was painful and I have to say that I don't really understand it.  They still care about each other and still have respect for each other's abilities and gifts, but just as much resentment.  What is the source of that resentment?  I don't see the need to have such a deep rift.

This brings me to looking ahead to the next and final season.  I have equal parts anticipation and dread for it.  I think they have to have some horrible fate for Fred in order to severe his relationship with Morse to the extent that he is never mentioned in the future and for us, the past original Morse show.

I re-watched the original Morse which I had not seen since it was on PBS years ago.  I came away from it not liking Morse at all.  He was so embittered, cranky, surly even and I couldn't connect him emotionally to Endeavour. It's not hard to understand that Endeavour's experiences are bound to harden him and to embitter him, but I don't want to see him lose his gentleness, his tender sensitivity and charm.  If they take him all the way to the old Morse, I will be very sad.

• Love 6

The animosity between Morse and Fred this season was painful and I have to say that I don't really understand it.  They still care about each other and still have respect for each other's abilities and gifts, but just as much resentment.  What is the source of that resentment?  I don't see the need to have such a deep rift.

All I can figure is Classism. We in the US don't experience the way they do in the UK. It's much older there and cuts much deeper.

Yes, I suppose "feeling" is as good a word as any, although the fact I'm still afraid to write his name suggests "devotion" may be more accurate. 

Cummerbund Bandersnatch?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

All I can figure is Classism. We in the US don't experience the way they do in the UK. It's much older there and cuts much deeper.

Cummerbund Bandersnatch?

You may be right but why would it get so much more prominent?  I think that has always been part of their dynamic but it did not overwhelm the relationship before. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Suzn said:

You may be right but why would it get so much more prominent?  I think that has always been part of their dynamic but it did not overwhelm the relationship before. 

They said some things to each other that are hard to walk back. I think apologies are due on both sides although Endeavour did make a rather eloquent apology in his letter.

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

They said some things to each other that are hard to walk back. I think apologies are due on both sides although Endeavour did make a rather eloquent apology in his letter.

Endeavour's letter was beautiful, but of course it does not "unsay" things said and Fred saving Endeavour's life was his apology.  Again, all the words said still hang out there.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Why would it be classism? Morse’s family is working class. He knows more upper class people because of his time at Oxford, but that doesn’t change anything.

I think Morse hadn’t forgiven Thursday for his association with Box and his temporary corruption. When Morse came back, Thursday avoided him and seemed to prefer the company of Box and his cronies. He was disappointed and hurt.

I think they’re trying too hard to explain Thursday’s absence in the later series. There’s a lot we don’t know about Morse. Of course, Strange never mentions Thursday either (since he hadn’t been created). At least they’ve paved the way for McNutt!

• Love 3

But it was "Endeavour's" gentleness that hooked me. 

I'm old school Inspector Morse. It was gone and here was a prequel, I was in. With a caveat that I haven't seen it in years (but am planning a rewatch on Brit Box when I subscribe), Thaw's cranky character was turtle-like, just that he didn't expose anything under that shell very often. No amount of LEWIS yelling convinced me he didn't care for the guy, even envied his home life. The one Morse wasn't able to have.

I wonder how much losing Joan Thursday affects Endeavor's relationship with Fred. 

Shaun Evans said in an interview he didn't watch old Morse episodes because he wanted to create the character on his own. In my recent rewatch, in the early episodes, there were a couple of times I thought I saw a Thaw mannerism. So, believing Shaun, I took it to just be Morse. A strong enough character at any age to sustain that idea.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 8/24/2020 at 2:48 PM, freddi said:

Except, that "memory" probably was not true, as Ludo (or whatever his name was) said he found her on the back streets of Naples at age fifteen.  Does not sound like an opera-attending upbringing.  But maybe she adopted this as her backstory.  If she really loved Morse, you'd think she went to the opera on December 31, 1970 (the second time he saw her) in the hope he would find her.  

I am still completely baffled at the reason Ludo thought that Morse would be his "creature" -- what on earth good would that have done?  Generally, scam artists tend to stay away from the authorities.  And I have to say that earning a "fortune" 7000 pounds at a time (after the payoff to the insurance holder) is hardly a way to create a lavish lifestyle.  And every 7000 pounds would be another murder, so very labour-intensive.  

But it was £7,000 in the 60s. When I began teaching in 1971, our starting salary was less than $7,000.....annually!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/28/2020 at 9:15 AM, Alistaire said:

Since we are now Endeavour-less for the foreseeable future 😟, I thought I'd make a post with some not-totally-off-topic comments about the season and the series.

1) For American viewers, it's probably impossible not to compare "Endeavour" at the end of the 2010 decade with "Sherlock," which opened Masterpiece at the beginning. I've never been someone who follows personalities or celebrities. I never understood the cult that formed around the star of "Sherlock," whose name I am even now afraid to write on Primetimer, because of the intensity of... feeling experienced for him. Yes, I suppose "feeling" is as good a word as any, although the fact I'm still afraid to write his name suggests "devotion" may be more accurate. So for me, a Thank God isn't out of place regarding "Endeavour's" star. That both series feature a lone young genius who relies on his own instinct and scrupulous deductive work doesn't need stating. But it was "Endeavour's" gentleness that hooked me. "Sherlock" was the very opposite of a gentle series. By this I don't mean subject matter. George Fancy's murder is as un-gentle as you could get. Bright saved from being stabbed in broad daylight wasn't gentle. I'm talking about the difference between the tones of the two series.

2) This season of "Endeavour" featured a faintly Arthurian story. Fred was the world-weary, virtue-weary king of the unit--whose intuitions in the end proved right. Morse became a Lancelot kind of figure, naive and abrasive at the same time. For a while, I believed Fred was going to die, and so the end of Camelot would occur. Luckily for us, Camelot didn't really occur--not really.

3) But the coldness I, as merely one individual viewer, associate with "Sherlock" has reared its head. To recoup the qualities that have made this series so tremendously endearing, the mess that either caused or resulted from a love triangle will have to be dealt with. And that brings the matter of exactly what the "Endeavour" creative teams "owes" to the series that inspired it. It's kind of amusing to think that written in stone anywhere is the necessity for Endeavour the character to "turn into" Morse of the past series. As Fred Thursday makes so clear, life in law enforcement is enough to embitter the best of people. It's not necessary--and Shaun Evans has said this in interviews both recent and past--that Endeavour develop in lock-step with Morse. It is distinctly possible that whatever hardened Inspector Morse can happen to the present young Endeavour off-screen.

4) All of which is to say that I dearly hope this series continues at whichever future date it might, and that its uncommon and sorely needed gentleness of spirit isn't lost. I was more stunned that the producers chose to end Caroline Bright's life in the way they did than by any development in this program so far. It had what (in my terminology) is a Sherlock-quality iciness.

However, now that Mrs. Bright is gone, Puli doesn't have to become bitter and Fred-like. Fred doesn't have to remain Fred-like! Shaun Evans' brilliance, in my opinion, lies in his ability to play essentially the same character both the star of "Sherlock" played, as well as Laurence Fox, while keeping the character-type human, kind, and absolutely relatable. I can relate to every single character on this series, as I suspect other viewers can as well. "Endeavour's" heart is so much more important than its mysteries. I'd go so far to say that its heart is its best mystery.

5) And so I hope that when "Endeavour" returns, the production company keeps in mind that we are living in hard times, and not just because of the current crisis. There are so many crises of so many types around the world. I for one have no problem whatsoever turning to Masterpiece or any other genre of entertainment for comfort and encouragement. And that is exactly what makes this quiet and unassuming program so important for so many English-speaking (and perhaps non-English-speaking) viewers.

Wishing a pleasant(er) autumn for everyone here,

Alistaire

As a devoted American viewer of "Endeavour" and "Sherlock," I can truthfully say I've never once compared the two, "Masterpiece" notwithstanding.

The former is a police procedural, a group effort by its nature, albeit one of the most well-acted and -written (but please spare me from ever again hearing that lame attempt at a "60s song" in the "hippies" episode!); whereas the latter is the classic private detective type, the lone genius often at odds with your Morses and Thursdays, your Lestrades and Japps. 

I've only ever compared "Sherlock" with "Elementary." 

Not quite sure why writing "Benedict Cumberbatch" is to be avoided, but call me a risk-taker! 😇

While I appreciate literary allusions to an inordinate degree, if there is an Arthurian legend one to be made, I'd posit that Morse is more Galahad (in fortitude and successful...endeavors, not chastity!) than Lancelot, and luckily so for the married Thursdays! 😉 

Q: What is the emotion contained within Endeavour's letter? 

A: Remorse! 😝

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
On 8/28/2020 at 11:06 AM, Suzn said:

The animosity between Morse and Fred this season was painful and I have to say that I don't really understand it.  They still care about each other and still have respect for each other's abilities and gifts, but just as much resentment.  What is the source of that resentment?  I don't see the need to have such a deep rift.

This brings me to looking ahead to the next and final season.  I have equal parts anticipation and dread for it.  I think they have to have some horrible fate for Fred in order to severe his relationship with Morse to the extent that he is never mentioned in the future and for us, the past original Morse show.

I re-watched the original Morse which I had not seen since it was on PBS years ago.  I came away from it not liking Morse at all.  He was so embittered, cranky, surly even and I couldn't connect him emotionally to Endeavour. It's not hard to understand that Endeavour's experiences are bound to harden him and to embitter him, but I don't want to see him lose his gentleness, his tender sensitivity and charm.  If they take him all the way to the old Morse, I will be very sad.

Ah, but we have been prepared for such a character transition. Endeavour was rather coldly and self-centeredly indifferent to cuckold Ludo in the restaurant, being all "Well, there you have it! Your marriage is over!" He was brutal to his mentor and elder Thursday, cutting him to the quick about his job capabilities (pretty good when they counted, though, eh, Morse?). He was unthinking and insensitive when he insisted on blurting out right then to a shattered Bright that Mrs. Bright had been murdered.  

Endeavour has along the way picked up some questionable personal habits (smoking; drinking) and women (the French girl; Violetta). 

I'm hoping that the writers adopt the "Irene Adler" approach (Oops! There I go comparing to Sherlock Holmes! Not to either TV show, though!) for why the future Inspector Morse never mentions Thursday (must make talking about the weekdays rather difficult, haha!), to wit:

That Fred unexpectedly dies, and Endeavour is heartbroken such that he can't bring himself ever to utter his good and true friend's name henceforth. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 8/28/2020 at 9:15 AM, Alistaire said:

And so I hope that when "Endeavour" returns, the production company keeps in mind that we are living in hard times, and not just because of the current crisis. There are so many crises of so many types around the world. I for one have no problem whatsoever turning to Masterpiece or any other genre of entertainment for comfort and encouragement. And that is exactly what makes this quiet and unassuming program so important for so many English-speaking (and perhaps non-English-speaking) viewers.

Wishing a pleasant(er) autumn for everyone here,

Alistaire

I enjoy all your thoughtful posts and just want to echo this last paragraph.  Yes, please.  More Masterpiece shows about kind, quiet people.

On 8/28/2020 at 11:06 AM, Suzn said:

re-watched the original Morse which I had not seen since it was on PBS years ago.  I came away from it not liking Morse at all.  He was so embittered, cranky, surly even and I couldn't connect him emotionally to Endeavour.

Same.  I'm watching these on YouTube for the first time and have the same sort of disappointment  that I can't find any sweet, sad Endeavour  there.  I did watch Lewis and Hathaway and already liked Lewis very much though, and the mysteries are interesting.

Tonight's PBS schedule is just nothing.  I had been starting at six on Sunday nights, watching re-runs of "Last Tango in Halifax," and then straight on through.  Can't they, at least, re-run a drama from years past?  

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I enjoy all your thoughtful posts and just want to echo this last paragraph.  Yes, please.  More Masterpiece shows about kind, quiet people.

Same.  I'm watching these on YouTube for the first time and have the same sort of disappointment  that I can't find any sweet, sad Endeavour  there.  I did watch Lewis and Hathaway and already liked Lewis very much though, and the mysteries are interesting.

Tonight's PBS schedule is just nothing.  I had been starting at six on Sunday nights, watching re-runs of "Last Tango in Halifax," and then straight on through.  Can't they, at least, re-run a drama from years past?  

The weekend programming on PBS has sucked for a long time. I don't know why they think people want to watch boring music from the past that we've all seen approx. one million times. I'd even be happy with some old Masterpiece and Mystery from the seventies and eighties over dumb "eat this not that" and "all your favorites from your parents youth" musical stuff.

• Love 14
20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The weekend programming on PBS has sucked for a long time. I don't know why they think people want to watch boring music from the past that we've all seen approx. one million times. I'd even be happy with some old Masterpiece and Mystery from the seventies and eighties over dumb "eat this not that" and "all your favorites from your parents youth" musical stuff.

Well, I am from the age of your parents, but, yeah, if I wanted to watch or listen to these oldies, I would not do it as staged on PBS. They can can the riverdance/celtic stuff too.  I love your idea of these other old mystery type shows and don't know why they don't do that.

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Does anybody know why Sara Vickers did not appear at all this season?  I thought Win reading the letter from Morse was kind of ridiculous.  They should have had Joan home for Christmas to read the letter.

She had just had a baby when they were shooting.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

But it was £7,000 in the 60s. When I began teaching in 1971, our starting salary was less than $7,000.....annually!

In addition to this, weren't those numbers just an example that Endeavour was using to describe what was happening? I wasn't assuming that those were the specific payment amounts for every person who was scammed.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Ah, but we have been prepared for such a character transition. Endeavour was rather coldly and self-centeredly indifferent to cuckold Ludo in the restaurant, being all "Well, there you have it! Your marriage is over!" He was brutal to his mentor and elder Thursday, cutting him to the quick about his job capabilities (pretty good when they counted, though, eh, Morse?). He was unthinking and insensitive when he insisted on blurting out right then to a shattered Bright that Mrs. Bright had been murdered.  

I see your point of the hardening of Endeavour in this season, but to me he was still miles away from the old crank original Morse.  If somehow they complete the transition in the final season I will be very sad.

2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I am glad to see I'm not alone in not seeing Endeavour in the older Morse.

I barely even check on what they are showing on Sunday nights now.  There are so many old shows that I would be glad to see again.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I see your point of the hardening of Endeavour in this season, but to me he was still miles away from the old crank original Morse.  If somehow they complete the transition in the final season I will be very sad.

I am glad to see I'm not alone in not seeing Endeavour in the older Morse.

I barely even check on what they are showing on Sunday nights now.  There are so many old shows that I would be glad to see again.

TPTB at PBS want you to purchase a "Passport" for such viewings. 😉 💲📺 

The First Churchills. [Edit] Complete with the Purcell intro and outro, Rondeau from Abdelazer. 

I'd like to see the original Six Wives of Henry XIII and Mystery with Diana Rigg as host. There were some good Dickens and other classic authors adaptations.

• Love 2