Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Secrets And Lies

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

- Eddie.  Sigh.  Oh sure, make your concern and cow-eyes for Delilah so transparent right there in the face of your wife.  That whole kitchen scene was uncomfortable.  I hate what the show is making Katherine do.

- That said, I love her interactions with her assistant.  I love her lawyer-face.  I love Theo.

I still haven't forced myself to watch this, although I'm going to give it the old college try later today.  However, I have to say that the show deserves something--kudos?  notoriety? public shaming?--for doing one thing: creating one of the most ridiculous and ineffectual love triangles I've ever seen on TV.

I'm not a fan of love triangles because they seem to fall into one of two categories: either they are bad, in which it is a lot of unneeded angst or they are good, in which case they can rip the viewer's heart out.  Here, there is one that doesn't really fit into either category.

In the middle we have this guy who, props to the show, has a lot of potential for growth (although not through this triangle).  He's unlikable, although I think that is Nash's intention, but redeemable.  On one side, we have this woman who we are pretty much told we need to feel sorry for, but we are shown that she's a selfish, manipulative narcissist.  As far as I can tell, Nash thinks the audience should like her, but he has given us every reason not to.  On the other side, we have this character who is layered and sympathetic but trod upon by this crap storyline.  Oh, and she doesn't organically fit in the central story, but Nash keeps shoehorning her in where he can in very awkward and unbelievable ways.  Yet, I (and it sounds like others) would rather watch a show all about her, without everyone else.  It kind of blows my mind that Nash hasn't figured out what he's doing here does.not.work, and yet he keeps doubling down on it.  

When I say this triangle should not exist, I mean none of these people should be together.  Eddie shouldn't be with anyone because he will never grow up, which the character needs to do in order to develop.  Delilah shouldn't be with anyone because, well, she is toxic and uses people and that's not cool.  And Katherine, well, I wish the best for Katherine, but she deserves better than Eddie or anyone else on this show.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 1

I finally decided to watch because I am actually interested in tonight’s episode but it was hard to get through. I just don’t really care anymore about most of these characters or the mystery. 

Rome and Regina could be interesting but it feels like we’re just skimming the surface of their story with nothing really being dealt with. Nine episodes were spent focusing on whether or not Maggie would get chemo but there is only one episode showing the side effects of Rome’s meds before he stops taking them. 

Theo and Katherine are the only things that I actually enjoy.  

On 1/18/2019 at 5:29 PM, tennisgurl said:

Can I watch a totally different show where Katherine is the lead character, balancing a high pressure job while being a part time single mom after her husband leaves her for another woman, and its about her law firm and the adventures they have? It already has part of a cast, like the hot lawyer she has a thing with, and the sassy friend/co-worker she engages in playful banter with. I would watch the absolute crap out of that show!

This is the show that I want. I don’t understand why all the charm and good writing goes into the Katherine scenes. It is amazing what happens when they stop hyperfocusing on DRAMA.

Every time Theo shows up on screen in feels like a breath of fresh air. 

On 1/21/2019 at 11:49 AM, smartymarty said:

I don't think so. All this episode did was add more issues. We now know there is a company called Rutledge and there was money in a bank account (though no more), but we have no idea how these fit into whatever Jon did. It did not answer any questions.

I had the same reaction. More details keep getting thrown in but there is no real movement. I think it was a mistake to show Ashley taking the suicide note and the insurance policy because it makes everything else feel like wheel spinning. I trust nothing that comes out until those details are revealed. 

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I finally got around to watching this.

- They mystery of Jon & whatever shady shit Ashley is doing is needlessly murky.  I don't find it an intriguing thing that I want to get to the bottom of, I find it a frustrating tease that feels like it was made up on the fly.  Even if they had a whole thing planned out about how/what/why Jon killed himself, it just doesn't feel that way.  It feels like they are pulling stuff out of their asses.

- Admittedly, I don't remember a lot from the early part of the series since it feels like it has been on forever, but I thought Ashley didn't know who Barbara Morgan was?  Didn't she google her or something?  But that last scene made it seem like she knows her by sight and they have some history.

Ashley searched Jon’s home computer for any references to Barbara Morgan. Then she tried to subtly mention the name to Gary and Delilah. 

On 1/24/2019 at 3:32 PM, Dani said:

I finally decided to watch because I am actually interested in tonight’s episode but it was hard to get through. I just don’t really care anymore about most of these characters or the mystery

I concur. I can’t get myself to care what happens to anyone off this show except maybe Delilah’s son. Too much Maggie. We get it, she’s a poor itty thing who is suffering but is also just so darn adorable. Everyone can’t help but want to be her friend. 

I'm finally getting around to watching this now, and I'm already perplexed.  When is this happening?

I'm going to make the assumption that the last episode took place on 12/10/18 for 2 reasons.  First, I think that is actually when that episode aired.  Secondly, if Delilah was given 21 days to vacate her house, I would think that 12/31/2018 would be a logical date for the repo.  I realize I could be wrong on this, but I'm working on this assumption.  That being said, where are we now?

I'm going to guess that it is soon after 12/10 as Katherine has been working on things and, other than de-Christmas-ing the house, Delilah has done nothing about her impending eviction.  But if it is only a few days after the last episode, what happened to Christmas?  Also, wasn't Delilah supposed to rest and such after her ass hit the pavement?  Did we forget about that?  Now she's running a 5K?  And don't even get me started about Maggie running.

I'm also incredibly *pissed* at this show for their horribly irresponsible handling of Rome's depression.  Just going off meds is horribly dangerous and while I'm not saying they shouldn't have Rome do it for the sake of the story, they can still have him do that while still being clear about the dangers.  For a show that is supposed to be such a champion of mental health, this is infuriating and horribly disappointing.

ETA: I guess I should give this episode props for one thing.  The scene in the kitchen with Eddie, Delilah, and Katherine was the first time I ever really felt for any character in this show.  And, yeah, that would be Katherine.  Eddie and Delilah (especially Delilah) are truly terrible.

ETA...again!:  I guess I shouldn't post until I finish the episode since they just said they are running in January.  I guess that explains the lack of Christmas, but I still don't think the timeline fits.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I'm finally getting around to watching this now, and I'm already perplexed.  When is this happening?

I'm going to make the assumption that the last episode took place on 12/10/18 for 2 reasons.  First, I think that is actually when that episode aired.  Secondly, if Delilah was given 21 days to vacate her house, I would think that 12/31/2018 would be a logical date for the repo.  I realize I could be wrong on this, but I'm working on this assumption.  That being said, where are we now?

I'm going to guess that it is soon after 12/10 as Katherine has been working on things and, other than de-Christmas-ing the house, Delilah has done nothing about her impending eviction.  But if it is only a few days after the last episode, what happened to Christmas?  Also, wasn't Delilah supposed to rest and such after her ass hit the pavement?  Did we forget about that?  Now she's running a 5K?  And don't even get me started about Maggie 

ETA...again!:  I guess I shouldn't post until I finish the episode since they just said they are running in January.  I guess that explains the lack of Christmas, but I still don't think the timeline fits.

The timeline is a mess. Eddie says that he has been on tour for two weeks and it is supposed to be a Saturday in January. The only way that works is if this episode is on January 5th and the previous one was the weekend of December 22nd. 

Things are just thrown into episodes with no consideration for realistic time considerations. 

On 1/18/2019 at 5:29 PM, tennisgurl said:

Can I watch a totally different show where Katherine is the lead character, balancing a high pressure job while being a part time single mom after her husband leaves her for another woman, and its about her law firm and the adventures they have? It already has part of a cast, like the hot lawyer she has a thing with, and the sassy friend/co-worker she engages in playful banter with. I would watch the absolute crap out of that show!

Throw in Tegan from HTGAWM and I am so down for that.

ETA: @possibilities on the HTGAWM forum suggested that Annalise run away to California and join her girlfriend Eve, Eve's girlfriend and their daughter.  I suggested Tegan, Katherine and Theo join them.

On 1/19/2019 at 4:53 AM, alexvillage said:

Did Maggie ask Gary to name 5 states that start with the letter A to keep him running as he tried to think of the 5th state? 

Yes, she did.  And as I thought, there are only 4. LOL

On 1/19/2019 at 9:47 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I also think Katherine is mature enough, and has enough self esteem that she doesn’t blame Delilah as “the other woman”. She 100% sees Eddie as the party that wronged her and was unfaithful, hence why she can be civil to Delilah and it be true to character.

Yep, with cheaters, if it wasn't one woman, it would have been another.  

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 3