Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Secrets And Lies

• Start Topic

After troubling news, Delilah finds herself once again leaning on her friends in order to help her family, unexpectedly having to rely on Katherine the most out of all people. Despite Gary’s protests, Maggie insists on running the Suicide Prevention 5K with the rest of the gang, where Danny also plans to introduce someone special to his mom and sister.

Airing Thursday, January 17, 2019

OK, so I’m completely confused at the outset, so you are going to have to read my real time reaction.  I apologize in advance.

Did I miss an episode?  Did I black out on part of episode 10?  Why did none of you mention all this important stuff that was briefly referenced in the previously and flashbacks while jogging?

I would have liked to have seen the moment each of them found out about Jon’s mess.  We are skipping that?  Skipping over the awkward first time the wife helps her husbands mistress?  Is that why Delilah pulled Gary into the meeting instead of Eddie?

Did Eddie bail for his tour before or after he found out?  Do they know that they were on a episode break because I am sure a ton of this shit being treated like its in the past has never been in an episode, but I seriously can’t remember exactly where they left off on everything, like Eddie’s last whereabouts?

I always joke that whenever a person is told someone died without dialogue, it’s a pretty good sign the writers don’t know what they are doing.  I’m getting that feeling.

And now the previously just happened in the episode.  This is an annoying way to edit an episode.

Oh, joy.  Saint Delilah is absolved by worse behavior.

And Eddie’s back from tour.  Wait, it’s a flashback we’ve seen before.  Unlike flashbacks in show real time we haven’t seen before.

The smug look Delilah gave Katherine to get the banker to make a call is working my last nerve.  I can not stand anything about her.

And Ashley just got all the money.

So Rutledge is the elevator inspector.  I guess that surprised me.  It makes the mystery seem smaller somehow.

Crap.  The Good Place is on.  I want to watch that.  That show is better.  But I’m kind of invested in my stream of consciousness annoyance. 

Katherine and Delilah enjoying each other’s company makes no sense.  And in the kitchen is giant douche, is he hiding his turd sandwich?  He is the absolute worst.  Way to completely disregard the feelings of the wife you cheated on asshole.

Gary believes in Jon.  So clearly this is all a big misdirect.

Katherine walks to her door.  Maggie and Gary are there.  I’m vaguely intrigued.  I don’t know why.  Oh, wait tricky editor.  Its Delilah’s door.  Aren’t you clever?  Me, I’m uninterested.

Spoiler

I’m going to ruminate on the fact that I have to wait until tomorrow to see the International Hole of Pancakes where the pancakes eat you....

Oh, the kid came out.  At least Delilah reacted well.  

Is this the part from the previously where someone gets by the car?

Regina and Rome’s way of dealing with his job and depression and reaction to pills by Regina volunteering to make herself completely stressed by getting a loan from her Mother despite an acrimonious relationship seems like an unhealthy way to deal with the situation.  I think they both need to talk to someone outside of their friend group.

And still no one hit by a car?  Am I remembering that wrong? 

Spoiler

I bet the syrup on the man-eating pancakes is less saccharine than this marathon.

Katherine and Gary going on a mission to confront Ashley without the rest of them is literally (Gary I used that word just because you harped about it) the only thing I’m happy about.  I don’t know why.

Another door fake out.  That was a waste of time.

Previews…Fake me out once, shame on you.  Fake me out, twice shame on me.

And we appear to be doing a thing were the previously show future episodes.

PS The episode summary for next week's The Good Place is..... various events occur in a specific order.  Its like the Good Place is mocking this show.  Alas no instant on demand.  

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 5

It's all so confusing.  I am anxious to see what Ashley is doing.  I guess she and John were having an affair if the scenes from next week are actually real.  This is the first live episode I've watched as I binged-watch all of the others.

• Love 2

This episode was just so-so for me. I was expecting a bit more though I am not sure why. 

- Delilah continues to annoy me. I don't think that will ever change. 

- Eddie is the worst. 

- Katherine is some sort of saint. I believe I'd rather gouge my eyes out than to help someone who had an affair with my husband yet there she is....helping. 

- Ashley needs to stop being sketch and just come out with it already. Clearly whatever she thinks she's doing isn't working & she's in WAY over her head. 

- I worry about Maggie. 

- I did love Danny's scene where he finally told them who "Ella" was. Gary's talk with him earlier in the season was one of my favorite. 

- The Rome coming off his medication in the midst of all this career upheaval going on with him and Regina makes me nervous. I hope they know what they are doing with that storyline because it's not something they need to carelessly throw together. I guess we'll see how it goes. 

• Love 8

A disjointed episode, I didn't really like it. Enough with Ashley, now she's probably off with the rest of the money. Why was she involved with that, high enough on the account to be able to take the money out? I used to be able to put it in for a business, never out. ; )  "I just sign things" by Delilah was honest but sounded so stupid. They are making Ashley way too important and cornering her and getting info will be hopefully not as drawn out as what in the house killed Jack on TIU.  Maybe she's helping in an odd way, but it's on the line of getting drawn out.

I guess we will slowly find out how Jon screwed Barbara. I always thought Ashley knew her. I called the race scene, almost to the letter, but I didn't throw in everyone helping her at the end. I thought that was a bit over the top. lol

I loved the scene with Danny the most and Delilah handled it better than they wrote it in This is Us I thought. Less drama, just a casual, loving response. (still hate Delilah though)

I thought Rutledge was well done with it being the inspectors name but not the scenes in elevator. I thought they were going to show it differently. I liked the chemistry they showed and none of us will probably have that in an elevator in our lives. : )

One pet peeve, why can't the makeup/costume people make better skull caps or have them fit better. They are horrible, and so obvious.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 6

Theo continues to be the best part of this show. I loved that his state of "ready to go" included no shoes, no socks, and no pants but his backpack and his Legos. Clearly he has better priorities than most of the adults on this show.

8 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Did Eddie bail for his tour before or after he found out?  Do they know that they were on a episode break because I am sure a ton of this shit being treated like its in the past has never been in an episode, but I seriously can’t remember exactly where they left off on everything, like Eddie’s last whereabouts?

Eddie didn't bail on his tour. He was shown on the tour bus while he was facetiming with Theo at the beginning of the episode. He then said that he had a night off so he was going to come home and surprise Theo. At the end of the previous episode, everyone came to send him off as he left for the tour. Only a few weeks have passed since the end of the last episode (Eddie told Theo he had only been on the road a few weeks).

• Love 8

First of all, I was excited about this show coming back, so I really enjoyed it. (Did they have to have commercials every 5 minutes, though?!)

OK, this was a lot to digest. 

Danny, way to go. And props to Delilah.

The Ashley story is interesting more because I'm wondering what the writers want to lead us to believe. It may be that she's carrying out the plan to help Jon's family by liquidating the Rutledge account before it could be seized to service the $18M debt. Perhaps Barbara Morgan is high on the creditor list. What I don't get is the shredding of papers or frankly why she's being so shady. Maybe that's where the affair comes in, though we have yet to see more on this.

Why was Eddie standing in Delilah's kitchen? If he was home to see Theo, I'd think the logical place to surprise him would be at Theo's house. Does everyone lock their houses except for Delilah? Would Starbucks not suffice temporarily? 

Yeah, Gary and Katherine on the search for Ashley was awesome. They seem to be the two main beneficiaries of Jon's friendship, so I get Gary not wanting to give up on him and Katherine wanting to understand what was really going on (plus the additional interesting aspect that her husband was having an affair with his wife.)

Giggle at Gary explaining away how he knows where Ashley lives. 

Katherine's legal assistant/ co-worker is awesome. I'd love to hear his commentary on the rest of the friends' drama, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern style.

Rome and Regina could be a spinoff on their own. They've got enough richness in their storyline to expand, and I feel like they never give them enough time.

• Love 20

Theo with his backback and his legos and his I listen to things, yeah.  I like Theo.  I like Theo's mom.   There was a dog on this show once upon a time that I liked.  I like Katherine's assistant.  I think Rome and Gina are making stupid choices wilfully (both of them) but I don't dislike them.   And... and.... nope, I'm out.   

And yet I set it up to record.  What does that say about me?   I think I'm in on this until they yank it despite the fact that it does not bring me joy.   

• Love 7

Well, I'm worried that they are reverting to mean Katherine, since the break.  She was getting frustrated with Theo being pantsless and shoeless and wanting to talk to his dad and not getting ready and they were running late for a meeting with . . .  Delilah??  Who cares if you're late for that?  

Bring back the hot new man for Katherine, THIS INSTANT.  I do not need to see Eddie making goo-goo eyes at poor widdle widowed Delilah while his wife is standing in the kitchen with them. Ugh.  No.

Other than that, it felt like they had changed up the show a bit, maybe for the better.  But it seems it's gonna be full steam ahead for the Eddie-Delilah love match. And I'm not enjoying that.

• Love 11

Dear writers,

That bank scene was far better 30 years ago, when Whoopi Goldberg & Patrick Swayze were hiding from Demi Moore in Ghost.

Signed, 

Oda Mae Brown

I was waiting for Ashley to ask for a new paper, because "I signed the wrong name." 

I loved Katherine & Gary teaming up. It sucks that Delilah is letting her kids believe that this child is the bio-child of their dad, when it will eventually come out that the bio-dad is their dad's best friend. Rip off the bandaid, it'll be better in the long run. 

My big comment to my husband "I can't believe that everyone in this entire group of friends can run a 5K without really much effort." Save for Katherine, every one in the crew, including 2 of the kids, ran the 5K. Maybe I'm super lazy (probably true in the 5K sense), but I probably only have 1 friend that could just pick up & run a 5K. 

• Love 11
35 minutes ago, nkotb said:

My big comment to my husband "I can't believe that everyone in this entire group of friends can run a 5K without really much effort." Save for Katherine, every one in the crew, including 2 of the kids, ran the 5K. Maybe I'm super lazy (probably true in the 5K sense), but I probably only have 1 friend that could just pick up & run a 5K.

I was thinking just the opposite.  I was laughing at all the talk of training for "the big race".  I am no runner, but I have participated in 5ks before. It's 3 miles...you could walk it in an hour, which brings up another question.  Given that most of these type races begin in the morning, and given that it takes approximately an hour to walk a 5k, why did Gary's girlfriend finish at night?

• Love 15
37 minutes ago, nkotb said:

My problem is Maggie after breaking down from lack of energy and so forth, took the REST of the afternoon to finish with everyone. Usualy 5Ks are late mornings or very EARLY afternoons. Especially, where they were trying to get the daughter to go back and do it. They all acted like they ran the 3 miles in 10 minutes, but then took 3 HOURS to walk it from the halfway mark. Yet, everything with the bank scenes was happening before and during the 5K. The time line was way, way off. 

As for Ashley, at this point what exactly is she doing? Trying to spare everyone and just disappear? She was making payments, Gary realized the "fake name" was an acronym the guys used when they got stuck in the elevator. The bank got all this on Delilah because "They were stuck in court" before Christmas. The names were forged. The only thing the really leads up to is that Jon was a moron who tried to make millions and yet set everyone up the river and Ashley is basically thinking she is protecting a dead man when she is really put herself up for major jail time instead when she just needed to just come clean and be: "here is the money, here is what Jon did. Give the real money to his family and let's be done with this." Instead they have plotting and doing stupid things like a C-list super villain. 

• Love 7

So, I thought to myself, "Don't read this thread...go into the episode unspoiled."  But then I read the thread and I'm pretty sure this is not something I want to watch.  I mean, I will (sigh, 1.5 seasons +1 episode...), but nothing I've read about it hints that it will do anything but cause massive eye rolls.  

DJ Nash better get down on his knees and thank every deity in existence for his new time slot.  There was a noticeable jump in ratings, but if this is what he gives us, I wouldn't be surprised if people switch the channel after Grey's Anatomy next week.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

So, I thought to myself, "Don't read this thread...go into the episode unspoiled."  But then I read the thread and I'm pretty sure this is not something I want to watch.  I mean, I will (sigh, 1.5 seasons +1 episode...), but nothing I've read about it hints that it will do anything but cause massive eye rolls.  

DJ Nash better get down on his knees and thank every deity in existence for his new time slot.  There was a noticeable jump in ratings, but if this is what he gives us, I wouldn't be surprised if people switch the channel after Grey's Anatomy next week.

Nah, you'll be fine, just sit back and enjoy the show. I have suspended disbelief because I don't watch tv for realism, I watch to be entertained and see pretty people. Don't get me wrong, I roll my eyes occasionally and enjoy discussing the characters' motives and bad behavior, it makes for interesting conversation.

15 hours ago, kazza said:

The Ashley story is interesting more because I'm wondering what the writers want to lead us to believe. It may be that she's carrying out the plan to help Jon's family by liquidating the Rutledge account before it could be seized to service the $18M debt. Perhaps Barbara Morgan is high on the creditor list. What I don't get is the shredding of papers or frankly why she's being so shady. Maybe that's where the affair comes in, though we have yet to see more on this.

Yeah, I'm more confused than ever about Ashley and Barbara Morgan!

Edited by Gothish520
occasionally has two Cs and one S, not the other way around!
  • Love 7

I thought this week's show was one of the best of the series so far.  We are getting closer to finding out the "truth".  I enjoyed it....

I do wonder about the wiseness of saying the baby is Jon's given it looks like Ashley may have an idea that it isn't true and what she might do with that information....

• Love 4
6 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I know how you feel. I decided that I was going to watch through next week before I give up the show but reading here was a mistake. I might just skip this week entirely since it doesn’t sound like I will be missing anything other than annoyance. 

8 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

There was a noticeable jump in ratings, but if this is what he gives us, I wouldn't be surprised if people switch the channel after Grey's Anatomy next week.

I was a fan of New Girl on Fox.  One year they ran an episode (featuring Prince) immediately after the Super Bowl.  That episode racked up 25 million viewers.  The following week 24.5 million of those folks where nowhere to be found.  So yeah, I think you're on to something there.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, bybrandy said:

There was a dog on this show once upon a time that I liked.  

Colin! Still my favorite character.

9 hours ago, nkotb said:

Heh, I was thinking the same thing. I have a few who could…but I am not one of them. Last time I did a 5K I it took me 45 minutes (I was the second-to-last finished; I think the person behind me actually did walk the whole thing), I walked most of it, and I had a massive headache later because it was too hot for me outside. And I was in slightly better shape then.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Theo with his backback and his legos and his I listen to things, yeah.  I like Theo.  I like Theo's mom.   There was a dog on this show once upon a time that I liked.  I like Katherine's assistant.  I think Rome and Gina are making stupid choices wilfully (both of them) but I don't dislike them.   And... and.... nope, I'm out.   

And yet I set it up to record.  What does that say about me?   I think I'm in on this until they yank it despite the fact that it does not bring me joy.   

I’m hate watching so I can snark. But Theo is the MVP.

10 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Well, I'm worried that they are reverting to mean Katherine, since the break.  She was getting frustrated with Theo being pantsless and shoeless and wanting to talk to his dad and not getting ready and they were running late for a meeting with . . .  Delilah??  Who cares if you're late for that?  

Bring back the hot new man for Katherine, THIS INSTANT.  I do not need to see Eddie making goo-goo eyes at poor widdle widowed Delilah while his wife is standing in the kitchen with them. Ugh.  No.

Other than that, it felt like they had changed up the show a bit, maybe for the better.  But it seems it's gonna be full steam ahead for the Eddie-Delilah love match. And I'm not enjoying that.

I’ve never thought Katharine mean. She is conscientious and takes her word seriously which is more than can be said for the rest of those assholes. She’s also guaranteed a place in Heaven. There is no way in hell I’d help the aptly named Delilah. And Eddie? He is just the fucking worst.

• Love 18
12 hours ago, kazza said:

Why was Eddie standing in Delilah's kitchen? If he was home to see Theo, I'd think the logical place to surprise him would be at Theo's house. Does everyone lock their houses except for Delilah? Would Starbucks not suffice temporarily? 

I think Sophie was baby-sitting for Theo while Katherine was helping Delilah, at least that was what  Theo told Eddie the previous day. So he probably went there looking for Theo. 

What I want to know is what Sophie thought Katherine and her mother were doing all week. If she was watching Theo she knew they were together and she must have known that was unusual.  So why was she shocked when Theo said there was a problem? Sophie was shown as pretty smart before. 

10 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I didn't think she was being mean.  Who wouldn't be frustrated with their kid insisting they were ready to go out when they had no pants on?

9 hours ago, dogfish said:

I was thinking just the opposite.  I was laughing at all the talk of training for "the big race".  I am no runner, but I have participated in 5ks before. It's 3 miles...you could walk it in an hour, which brings up another question.  Given that most of these type races begin in the morning, and given that it takes approximately an hour to walk a 5k, why did Gary's girlfriend finish at night?

Well, she was sitting on that bench for awhile. And she has been going through Chemo, so she probably can't walk it in an hour like most people. And it is January, so it gets dark early. It could have been 5:00.

5 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I was a fan of New Girl on Fox.  One year they ran an episode (featuring Prince) immediately after the Super Bowl.  That episode racked up 25 million viewers.  The following week 24.5 million of those folks where nowhere to be found.  So yeah, I think you're on to something there.

That always happens with the super bowl, yes. But next week, A Million Little Things will still be on after Grey's, so they probably will keep some extra viewers who don't want to change the channel.

I remember Grey's used to be on at 9, and ABC kept trying to launch new shows at 8. They were ratings disasters. Then they moved Grey's to 8, and Scandal to 9 so they could put their new show AFTER the hits. Which led them finally having a new hit (HTGAWM).

• Love 5

Can I watch a totally different show where Katherine is the lead character, balancing a high pressure job while being a part time single mom after her husband leaves her for another woman, and its about her law firm and the adventures they have? It already has part of a cast, like the hot lawyer she has a thing with, and the sassy friend/co-worker she engages in playful banter with. I would watch the absolute crap out of that show!

Seriously though, Katherine is a freaking saint for all she does for her husband and his mistress. She is working her ass of to save the day, while the rest of the cast engages in emotional speeches and 5Ks, and a LOT of hugging and crying. Does anyone give Katherine hugs? Oh my God, that scene where she walked into Delilahs kitchen and Eddie was there just ached. She looked so hurt to see the connection they still have, and they were still having this whole emotional thing, right in front of her! As she takes time to help dig Delilah out of the hole! They dont deserve you, Katherine! Call hot lawyer guy, and find some new, better friends!

I still dont care much for Delilah, but she did handle the Danny conversation pretty well. That was all quite well done, and it was sweet to see Danny talking with his crush. 

On the other hand, I dont like this retroactive attempt at making Eddie and Delilah look better by making John out to be worse. "Oh, its ok that she had an affair! He had an affair AND lost all their money!" Two wrongs dont make a right! And they have REALLY gone hard on making John look bad, so much so that I bet that we are getting a twist where this has some kind of good intention on his part. Maybe he didnt even have an affair? 

Finally making some headway on that mystery! 

• Love 20

Well at least someone said how ridiculous it is that Katherine is helping Delilah. Thank you Katherine's assistant whose name I should remember!

Eddie is an ass. No surprise there. Why hasn't he taken off his wedding ring yet? He was so gung ho to move on before any of this happen and wanted to get an apartment that he can be with Delilah in. I know it's a little thing but it bothers me everytime I see it.  I hope when Eddie falls off the wagon, because you know he's going to, that Katherine is like  "Delilah, looks like that's your problem now. Good luck. And Eddie, you can't see Theo unless you're sober and you sure as hell can't be alone with him until you got this under control again. I've bailed you both out enough." Which won't happen and even if Gary will probably be like "See! I knew she was toxic as hell!" and everyone else would agree.

I skipped over the Gary/Maggie scenes. I can't with them.

I understand Regina's reasoning for her not wanting Rome to take the commercial campaign job but they should've at least talked it out more to do what they think is best or see if there can be a compromise. Like Regina does ask her mom for a loan but it can be a smaller one because Rome will take this ONE job with the understanding that he's not going to continue to do so and if it becomes too much for him to handle then it's absolutely fine that he quits. Or they move into a less fancy apartment, sell their place if they own it or save money on less rent. Instead of both of them running off and doing whatever they think is best for the other without really talking about it.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Dusty said:

Well at least someone said how ridiculous it is that Katherine is helping Delilah. Thank you Katherine's assistant whose name I should remember!

Eddie is an ass. No surprise there. Why hasn't he taken off his wedding ring yet? He was so gung ho to move on before any of this happen and wanted to get an apartment that he can be with Delilah in. I know it's a little thing but it bothers me everytime I see it.  I hope when Eddie falls off the wagon, because you know he's going to, that Katherine is like  "Delilah, looks like that's your problem now. Good luck. And Eddie, you can't see Theo unless you're sober and you sure as hell can't be alone with him until you got this under control again. I've bailed you both out enough." Which won't happen and even if Gary will probably be like "See! I knew she was toxic as hell!" and everyone else would agree.

I understand Regina's reasoning for her not wanting Rome to take the commercial campaign job but they should've at least talked it out more to do what they think is best or see if there can be a compromise. Like Regina does ask her mom for a loan but it can be a smaller one because Rome will take this ONE job with the understanding that he's not going to continue to do so and if it becomes too much for him to handle then it's absolutely fine that he quits. Or they move into a less fancy apartment, sell their place if they own it or save money on less rent. Instead of both of them running off and doing whatever they think is best for the other without really talking about it.

I didn't think Eddie really did anything wrong here. He went looking for Theo, it's not his fault he was at Delilah's. 

I was ok with Gary and Maggie until she started chemo - I guess those scenes just hit too close to home. There's just nothing entertaining about watching someone go through something so...sad. And scary. But I did really feel for her when she had to stop running, and I thought the end when they helped her to the finish line was pretty awesome.

Totally agree about Regina and Rome. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

That always happens with the super bowl, yes. But next week, A Million Little Things will still be on after Grey's, so they probably will keep some extra viewers who don't want to change the channel.

I remember Grey's used to be on at 9, and ABC kept trying to launch new shows at 8. They were ratings disasters. Then they moved Grey's to 8, and Scandal to 9 so they could put their new show AFTER the hits. Which led them finally having a new hit (HTGAWM).

Replying in the media thread.

I'm impatient. I just want to know what the hell is going on with Ashley and what Jon's actual story is. I don't enjoy the mystery, I want to get the answers.

I love Theo and Katherine and sassy friend and I missed Hot Guy.

I like Delilah's son and his crush. I was worried she was going to say too much when she met Elliot, but she didn't, so that was okay.

• Love 7

I might have been too confused int he beginning f the episode on what looked like flash forward scenes, but was the timeline messed up? Katherine's colleague said something about his "Saturday", I thought the 5K thing was happening on a Sunday, but then they showed Katherine and Delilah in the bank on what was supposed to be the same Saturday? 

The young kids won this one. Theo is too adorable and the natural chemistry between the actors - mom and kid - is one good thing. 

I still like the show's premise but not as much as I used to. Eddie is a man-child who needs to just go away.

Editing: Did Maggie ask Gary to name 5 states that start with the letter A to keep him running as he tried to think of the 5th state? 

Edited by alexvillage
11 hours ago, Dusty said:

All of this.^  I don't understand why they are making Eddie out to be a sympathetic character.  He slept with his best friend's wife; he blew up his own marriage and at the same time jeopardized his relationship with his son, and is now running off without a care in the world to tour with his bros.  What a child.  At least we know he's sensitive enough to be conflicted over whether or not to wear his wedding ring. <sarcasm>. What a guy!

I also have no intrest in the Gary/Maggie storyline, in fact I find Gary to be pretty overbearing and judgemental most of the time.  As I guy myself, I do not think that G, E, R, J would have become such close friends just because they spent some time in an elevator and are all Bruin fans. (It's Bahstahn...everyone's a frickin' Bruins fan). And while we're on the subject of the elevator, how long were they "trapped" on it?  We saw Jon make a call to whomever that if they weren't out in the next 15 minutes, the deal to buy the building was off.  Presumabley they spent much longer in there, and that would suck, but for one of the guys to say, "if we live through this, let's all get season tickets", is a little ridiculous.  We'll all abandon our previous lives and relationships, introduce our wives to each other, and constantly be in each others homes.  I just don't think that would actually happen, but then again, my reality of getting together for a beer every now and again (not you Eddie), would not make for a very entertaining tv program!

Rant over

• Love 12

OK, I have clearly missed something important, since my usual M.O. is to DVR this show (which I love, though I also love to snark on it) and watch it late at night....leading to me falling asleep halfway through, re-watching, and sometimes fast-forwarding past scenes  I think I already watched but maybe didn't....who the hell is Barbara Morgan?

I actually love Gary and Maggie, agreed, though; watching someone go through chemo on TV or in a movie is awful, and not entertaining. I do think the show has done a good job at hinting at some of the horrors but, as much as possible, "keeping it light", if that makes any sense. One or two vomiting/bald scenes, but then moving on.

I hope Rome isn't headed for trouble from going off his meds, but it seems to be inevitable.

Joining the Delilah hate train. Ugh. Though she is a good Mom in that TV way (where she apparently never loses her temper with her kids or has to nurse them through a stomach bug). 

No comment on Eddie. Have hated him from the get-go. While he's objectively attractive, something about his face annoys the beJesus out of me....yes, even before we knew how much of a dick he is.

• Love 3

My feeling is that while Katherine is a saint that she is helping less because she cares about Deliah and  more because she and Jon had the working parent bond and she doesn't want those kids homeless.   Yep, that's my story and I"m sticking with it.

• Love 14

I just don't get Katherine being so sympathetic to Delilah or Delilah having the nerve to ask for her help especially when she is keeping the secret that she is having Eddies baby.  Sorry IMO Delilah has some pair!  Don't buy that they love each other so much that they get past having  affairs with someone else's husband. The whole thing is not realistic.   Did I miss the Gary scene where he says "I can't believe she's gone"?  Thought that took place at the marathon.  Theo is the best kid on the show.  

• Love 4
7 hours ago, bybrandy said:

My feeling is that while Katherine is a saint that she is helping less because she cares about Deliah and  more because she and Jon had the working parent bond and she doesn't want those kids homeless.   Yep, that's my story and I"m sticking with it.

I don’t think Katherine cares about Delilah. I do think she did care about Jon very much, and she cares about his children having a home. Granted she IS being a saint for storyline purposes, but I give the actress credit for playing it in a believable way. 

Now I’m sure this was an acting choice, but her leaving when Eddie was there appeared to be a “withdrawal” because she didn’t want to interact with Eddie and Katherine together, rather than a “righteous indignation” like it should have been. 

I also think Katherine is mature enough, and has enough self esteem that she doesn’t blame Delilah as “the other woman”. She 100% sees Eddie as the party that wronged her and was unfaithful, hence why she can be civil to Delilah and it be true to character. 

Of course Delilah and Eddie, like most people doing wrong, want to do wrong, have people “understand” and suffer no consequences for their choices. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, bybrandy said:

That actually makes a lot of sense! I had not thought of it that way. Delilah and Eddie are just so annoying together it's hard for me to get past all of it, lol. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, LucyEth said:

I just don't get Katherine being so sympathetic to Delilah or Delilah having the nerve to ask for her help especially when she is keeping the secret that she is having Eddies baby.  Sorry IMO Delilah has some pair!  Don't buy that they love each other so much that they get past having  affairs with someone else's husband. The whole thing is not realistic.   Did I miss the Gary scene where he says "I can't believe she's gone"?  Thought that took place at the marathon.  Theo is the best kid on the show.  

This part of the story actually makes sense to me, compared to real life. 

People who enjoy privileges do believe that whatever wrong they do, they are supposed to be forgiven, if they need help they will get the help from friends, that their suffering or hard times are always much bigger, serious and important than whatever ill they've caused. Maybe it is not conscious but it is just part of their privilege. Like Delilah, they regret the pain they might have caused but their pain is always the bigger pain, so everyone will promptly forgive them, or forget for a while, until their problems are solved.

Delilah is basically a good person, a good mom (I think) if not too comfortable being taken care of Jon without any real involvement on some as=ects of life. Maybe she thinks that she and Eddie were going to tell everyone about the affair, then Jon's death and the baby complicated things and they are now trapped. In her mind, she is already paying for what she did, so everyone will acknowledge that, her "sins" are not that big anymore. I don't know about you but I can name so many of people around me who act just like that, and they have fewer social privileges than the character. It is human nature plus social privilege.

As for Katherine, even though she also enjoys some privileges, she is basically a good person, maybe she feels that saying no to Delilah would be too awkward, maybe she does feel some loyalty, maybe she is thinking about Theo and the whole dynamics. I see (real) people like her, people who I think would do just what she did.

If the writers thought about all this is another story.

• Love 6
On 1/18/2019 at 10:30 AM, readster said:

My problem is Maggie after breaking down from lack of energy and so forth, took the REST of the afternoon to finish with everyone. Usualy 5Ks are late mornings or very EARLY afternoons. Especially, where they were trying to get the daughter to go back and do it. They all acted like they ran the 3 miles in 10 minutes, but then took 3 HOURS to walk it from the halfway mark. Yet, everything with the bank scenes was happening before and during the 5K. The time line was way, way off. 

Because of course arriving at the finish line after dark when everyone else has left and the "time out" truck is just behind you ready to force you off the course is far, far more dramatic than being 30-60 minutes behind everyone else. and just arriving last while the race is still going on.    It somehow reminded me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit:  Eddie: You mean you could have taken those handcuffs off anytime?!?   Roger:  Not any time, only when it was funny!

I don't mind Delilah.  At least I don't actively hate her character but there's one thing she's missing that makes her unlikable and it would be great if they changed it or let the character grow into it.  She is Reactive not Proactive.  She looks like a deer in headlights almost all the time and everything that's going on seems to be happening to her and she reacts to it instead of her taking any action to take control.  Even the life insurance money "It'll be coming in any day now".  Well what are you doing to make sure of that or rush it along?  And this doesn't seem to be a new thing; going by the "I just sign papers John put in front of me" excuse she was like that before too.  

If John took care of everything fine.  If Delilah needed some time to adjust to being alone fine.  But at some point we need to see her taking a little charge and handling herself not just constantly letting things happen to her then giving that dead eye shocked stare to her friends until they bail her out (yet again).

• Love 10
8 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Because of course arriving at the finish line after dark when everyone else has left and the "time out" truck is just behind you ready to force you off the course is far, far more dramatic than being 30-60 minutes behind everyone else. and just arriving last while the race is still going on.    It somehow reminded me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit:  Eddie: You mean you could have taken those handcuffs off anytime?!?   Roger:  Not any time, only when it was funny!

I don't mind Delilah.  At least I don't actively hate her character but there's one thing she's missing that makes her unlikable and it would be great if they changed it or let the character grow into it.  She is Reactive not Proactive.  She looks like a deer in headlights almost all the time and everything that's going on seems to be happening to her and she reacts to it instead of her taking any action to take control.  Even the life insurance money "It'll be coming in any day now".  Well what are you doing to make sure of that or rush it along?  And this doesn't seem to be a new thing; going by the "I just sign papers John put in front of me" excuse she was like that before too.  

If John took care of everything fine.  If Delilah needed some time to adjust to being alone fine.  But at some point we need to see her taking a little charge and handling herself not just constantly letting things happen to her then giving that dead eye shocked stare to her friends until they bail her out (yet again).

That may come in time, but I think with her pregnancy and all the other drama that is unfolding, worrying about her children, etc, I doubt she's had much time to think about pulling herself up by her bootstraps and taking charge. That would most likely be a complete change from what she's had to do most of her adult life. When someone else has handled literally everything as far as finances and big decisions go, it's easy to get complacent and just put it out of your mind. Delilah will have to pull it together for her children if nothing else, but It's not something that happens overnight. 

• Love 4
On 1/18/2019 at 8:29 PM, tennisgurl said:

Finally making some headway on that mystery! 

I don't think so. All this episode did was add more issues. We now know there is a company called Rutledge and there was money in a bank account (though no more), but we have no idea how these fit into whatever Jon did. It did not answer any questions.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, smartymarty said:

I don't think so. All this episode did was add more issues. We now know there is a company called Rutledge and there was money in a bank account (though no more), but we have no idea how these fit into whatever Jon did. It did not answer any questions.

This says a little, seems like a business but obviously not kosher. Did Ashley get a note from him to delete or did she just know? She did it so quickly after he jumped. Almost too quickly.

rut.png

• Love 1
On 1/19/2019 at 8:55 AM, dogfish said:

I also have no intrest in the Gary/Maggie storyline, in fact I find Gary to be pretty overbearing and judgemental most of the time.  As I guy myself, I do not think that G, E, R, J would have become such close friends just because they spent some time in an elevator and are all Bruin fans. (It's Bahstahn...everyone's a frickin' Bruins fan). And while we're on the subject of the elevator, how long were they "trapped" on it?  We saw Jon make a call to whomever that if they weren't out in the next 15 minutes, the deal to buy the building was off.  Presumabley they spent much longer in there, and that would suck, but for one of the guys to say, "if we live through this, let's all get season tickets", is a little ridiculous.  We'll all abandon our previous lives and relationships, introduce our wives to each other, and constantly be in each others homes.  I just don't think that would actually happen, but then again, my reality of getting together for a beer every now and again (not you Eddie), would not make for a very entertaining tv program!

Rant over

I remember them saying in an earlier episode that they spent several hours together in that elevator, so it was definitely not 15 minutes, I think maybe 4 hours?  also remember that when they mentioned the number of hours it didn't seem long enough to create such a lasting bond. I think they'd need 12+ hours stuck together to really form a lasting friendship. I say this as a woman, so I could be totally off.

But maybe it was all the Bruins games.

What I find odd is that none of them seem to have other friends. Presumably they had lives before getting stuck on the elevator, did they drop their other friends in that time?

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

But maybe it was all the Bruins games.

What I find odd is that none of them seem to have other friends. Presumably they had lives before getting stuck on the elevator, did they drop their other friends in that time?

Characters on a TV show have other friends outside the ones showed all the time or every other episode. Wow! That's a thing? Kidding, yeah I know at least other TV shows mention other friends or people they know even if they never really show them. As those show runners say: "They have to have lives outside of the main cast and its easier to mention people now and again, or it would get expensive." However, with AMLT, it's like these people are their end all be all BFFs.

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

Based on their disregard for Katherine primarily seeming to be about her giving some priority to her job over whatever codependent friendship thing they have got going on, dropping everyone else may have been a prerequisite for joining.

• Love 2

Shows never want to have never seen friends but I think sometimes it's nice to say, "I'm meeting so and so at from work for lunch". On This is Us, they had Rebecca be alone, never a mention of anyone outside her circle which is odd with 3 kids. On this show, they can be close but having someone else to call as a lawyer to help with your personal affairs could have worked instead of the man's wife you had an affair with. 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
On 1/17/2019 at 7:19 PM, ParadoxLost said:

OK, so I’m completely confused at the outset, so you are going to have to read my real time reaction.  I apologize in advance.

Did I miss an episode?  Did I black out on part of episode 10?  Why did none of you mention all this important stuff that was briefly referenced in the previously and flashbacks while jogging?

I actually backed out of the episode and checked out the episode list, I was convinced that since I just watch on Hulu, I simply had missed an episode.

On 1/18/2019 at 1:57 AM, debraran said:

I guess we will slowly find out how Jon screwed Barbara. I always thought Ashley knew her. I called the race scene, almost to the letter, but I didn't throw in everyone helping her at the end.

My "guess" based on absolutely nothing - is that she's either his first wife, or technically still his wife. Or his sister, who he screwed out of her inheritance.

On 1/18/2019 at 6:07 AM, cardigirl said:

Having gone through that with my children, I saw it more as a humanizing moment. Frustration is part of the package.

On 1/19/2019 at 4:53 AM, alexvillage said:

I might have been too confused int he beginning f the episode on what looked like flash forward scenes, but was the timeline messed up? Katherine's colleague said something about his "Saturday", I thought the 5K thing was happening on a Sunday, but then they showed Katherine and Delilah in the bank on what was supposed to be the same Saturday?

I thought that it was actually pretty good that they specified it was on a weekend for once. Some banks are open on Saturdays, at least where I live.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:14 PM, bybrandy said:

I think you're dead on.

On 1/20/2019 at 8:05 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

That's my problem too. But it is true to life, I have a friend who is just like that, which frustrates me, but she's my friend nevertheless.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought that it was actually pretty good that they specified it was on a weekend for once. Some banks are open on Saturdays, at least where I live.

Yes, some banks do. The pace all was done is still weird. Maybe it was the editing. It seemed a bit confusing, as if they didn't work it all out in the writers room and the timing of things happening was an afterthought that had to be made sense of at the editing table. Not only that bit, all of the episode really.

• Love 2

Jon's video apologizing to BARBARA for abandoning her... that was a major hint that whatever was going on with him, it wasn't anything we've previously had hinted at. I have decided not to guess anymore, because the show is clearly not giving us the information, because they plan to try to engineer a shock. I really find it annoying. They could actually be telling an interesting story, but instead they are deliberately NOT telling it, because they think confusion and shocks are more compelling.

I get that Delilah is passive, but it takes a particular kind of privileged oblivion to not even consider that she might have to step up or consult someone with expertise once her husband who handled everything is dead.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I get that Delilah is passive, but it takes a particular kind of privileged oblivion to not even consider that she might have to step up or consult someone with expertise once her husband who handled everything is dead.

In this upper middle class group of friends, one of them would have stepped forward long ago and said,

"Here is the name of a good Lawyer.  She handles these estate cases all the time and will know what to do."

I'm surprised that Katherine hasn't pushed for this.

• Love 6

I finally got around to watching this.

- They mystery of Jon & whatever shady shit Ashley is doing is needlessly murky.  I don't find it an intriguing thing that I want to get to the bottom of, I find it a frustrating tease that feels like it was made up on the fly.  Even if they had a whole thing planned out about how/what/why Jon killed himself, it just doesn't feel that way.  It feels like they are pulling stuff out of their asses.

- Admittedly, I don't remember a lot from the early part of the series since it feels like it has been on forever, but I thought Ashley didn't know who Barbara Morgan was?  Didn't she google her or something?  But that last scene made it seem like she knows her by sight and they have some history.

- I have tried but I can't make myself be very invested in Maggie's cancer storyline.  It feels like some other show.  But I do admit they do a good job of making her look sickly. 

- The show has a very weird concept of time.  In some places it feels like this episode is taking place right after Christmas, especially given the urgency of Delilah's situation.  And yet, Maggie has been on Chemo for some time and has already lost all her hair. 

- And speaking of a 'sense of time'  -- yeah, the way they did the whole race with Maggie triumphantly struggling across the finish line in the dark with the public maintenance trucks behind her, you'd think they ran the Boston Marathon.  It was a freakin' 5K!  She had already been deep in the race before she broke down.  The rest of them  all made it across, got back to her and helped her walk back.  That would have added  -- what an hour maybe two? to her finish if I am being generous?  And unless they started the race at 2 in the afternoon (which races like that NEVER start that late) it wouldn't be that dark. And since this is supposed to be Boston, there would have been a lot more people even behind her who walked it and were using as a fun day out instead of a serious race. 

- I don't want them to make Jon terrible to make Delilah even more sympathetic.  I'd hope they'd be smarter about presenting the many factors that drive someone to suicide and not vilify him just to make us like her.  Now, I'd be on board with making Ashley terrible because to me she just comes off really terrible, if for no other reason than taking the letter meant for Delilah.  Now that is foul.  You don't deprive a person of that.

- Eddie.  Sigh.  Oh sure, make your concern and cow-eyes for Delilah so transparent right there in the face of your wife.  That whole kitchen scene was uncomfortable.  I hate what the show is making Katherine do.

- That said, I love her interactions with her assistant.  I love her lawyer-face.  I love Theo.

- I also love Regina's prickly relationship with her mother.  I think that relationship -- as dysfunctional as it is -- just jumps off the screen.  I liked their dynamic from the first time her mom showed up.  To me that is more engrossing that her restaurant which seems to be the single defining characteristic they've decided to make for Regina.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 2