Type keyword(s) to search

Dynasty (2017) - General Discussion

Bort
  • Start Topic

Watched last episode without trying to multitask. 🙂

First:

Blake is a idiot. You need to come a crossed as a boy scout, so idk maybe not try and attack someone and certainly don't admit to killing the guy.

Kirby certainly was fast in redecorating Michaels apartment. I mean wasn't it only a couple of days that she was there before Michael came home? Also it certainly seemed like Michael was breaking up with Kirby.

Adam is creepy. He need to go asap. I'm wondering if he actually wants Blake in prison so he can take over the empire. Also when did he send down drivers again to find the ring?

Poor Liam. He wakes up to an extremely overbearing mother and a crazy women saying they are engaged.

1 hour ago, Fireball said:

Poor Liam. He wakes up to an extremely overbearing mother and a crazy women saying they are engaged.

Don't worry, Liam will get his memory back while walking down the aisle to marry Ashley. I was almost expecting Liam to fall down the stairs when Fallon and his Liam's mother were fighting around his wheelchair, which might prompt another memory.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Don't worry, Liam will get his memory back while walking down the aisle to marry Ashley. I was almost expecting Liam to fall down the stairs when Fallon and his Liam's mother were fighting around his wheelchair, which might prompt another memory.

I can see that! However, I was thinking that Liam would get his memories back after Fallon had given up hope and gotten back together with Michael.

1 hour ago, Fireball said:

I can see that! However, I was thinking that Liam would get his memories back after Fallon had given up hope and gotten back together with Michael.

They could do both! Liam is walking down the aisle with Ashley while Fallon is sitting in the audience with Michael. Then boom, the memory comes back.

Regarding Blake, I feel like his "confession" is not really that damaging. He could easily explain it away as trying to sound tough in prison. 

7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

They could do both! Liam is walking down the aisle with Ashley while Fallon is sitting in the audience with Michael. Then boom, the memory comes back.

Regarding Blake, I feel like his "confession" is not really that damaging. He could easily explain it away as trying to sound tough in prison. 

Thinking the same thing. Blake in jail will last as long as it takes Adam to get himself into jail.

23 hours ago, mommalib said:

Love to see Michael outsmarting Blake.

It also highlights how important Liam is barring his relationship with Fallon. Michael gets involved in the other stories while Liam is literally the damsel in distress for Fallon to save. He has no other stories except those connected to her. The only reason Adam is involved in his storyline is because Adam lives to make trouble for his sister.

59 minutes ago, nilyank said:

It also highlights how important Liam is barring his relationship with Fallon. Michael gets involved in the other stories while Liam is literally the damsel in distress for Fallon to save. He has no other stories except those connected to her. The only reason Adam is involved in his storyline is because Adam lives to make trouble for his sister.

I think Liam is there to appease a certain segment of the audience that wanted Fallon to have a white love interest. He's never been portrayed as someone Fallon respects or would respect.  Unless i'm reading things wrong I always got the feeling that Michael is her guy at the end of the day and that's who she'll end up with. They'll probably drag out the Liam thing until the end of season 3 but I suspect she will be heading back toward Michael by then.

Edited by mommalib
  • So far this season is very lackluster. 

• I like Cristal/Crystal #3 even less than the 2nd one.  And she looks too much like Dominique.  The first Cristal was the best.  I hate that she left the show. 

• Speaking of Dominque, she’s being written as badly as Alexis. 

• We need a new Steven to give Sam a purpose. His storylines have been ridiculous ever since Steven departed. 

• Speaking of Steven, when are they going to at least mention him?  

• I really, really miss Alexis.  Nicollette Sheridan is the reason I started watching.  They didn’t give her much to work with because she was awesome on Knots Landing as well as Desperate Housewives.  On Dynasty she was just filler. 

• Lastly, the most enjoyable events so far has been Fallon shoving Adam into a table and Blake slapping him.  I can’t wait for Adam to get what’s really coming to him.   
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:11 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Cristal 3 is fine. Hopefully Cristal 4 will be even better!

It's kinda funny how they're keeping the joke running by introducing a new Cristal every season, but Cristal #1 was my favorite. The others have been kinda bland to me.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, AnimeMania said:

I was almost expecting Liam to fall down the stairs when Fallon and his Liam's mother were fighting around his wheelchair, which might prompt another memory.

I was watching their fight and just KNEW that he was going tumbling down the stairs. I was SHOCKED when they didn't go the most obvious route! lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Wait, Season 3 is out? I don't see it on the Canadian Netflix. I need to watch this show which may be simelar in subject matter to Succession yet manages to be the exact opposite in tone and execution.

Meh, Liam is probably a lost cause until he gets his full memory back. In the interim I think Fallon should get with the new guy, the brother of the girl she accidentally killed. He's cute and smart too.

I'm surprised and disappointed the show hasn't acknowledge Diahann Carroll's passing in some way. They could've put a small mention before the end credits run.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Meh, Liam is probably a lost cause until he gets his full memory back. In the interim I think Fallon should get with the new guy, the brother of the girl she accidentally killed. He's cute and smart too.

I'm surprised and disappointed the show hasn't acknowledge Diahann Carroll's passing in some way. They could've put a small mention before the end credits run.

Fallon always has to have another guy waiting in the wings. Unless she's going back to Culhane this is a bad look.

3 hours ago, LakeGal said:

Wow, she was actually on my wish list! Awesome. She knows Liz Gillies and they did this awesome homage to her role as Meredith in The Parent Trap.

I'm legit excited. I can see her taking the Nicolette Sheridan Alexis and doing something really fun with it.

19 minutes ago, ketose said:

However, I'm glad I didn't have to hear an 80's song rearranged from some unknown CW artist.

It is kind of funny how many good singers this cast has- 4 if you include James/Steven, who I still think should try getting into theater. Grant is still good-looking after all these years but I wasn't feeling his voice.

If that Steven comes back, Adam, Fallon, and Sammy could start up a band with him!

Is it just me or is this show this season not licensing music from after about 1989? LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85
9 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Wow, she was actually on my wish list! Awesome. She knows Liz Gillies and they did this awesome homage to her role as Meredith in The Parent Trap.

Ok, Liz’s emulation of Lindsay Lohan was uncanny. She had the inflections down pat. Elaine Hendrix is great, she and Liz were both on Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll. I’d forgotten about that show.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Ok, Liz’s emulation of Lindsay Lohan was uncanny. She had the inflections down pat. Elaine Hendrix is great, she and Liz were both on Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll. I’d forgotten about that show.

Elaine also had that great moment in Romy and Michelle where she puts down the former prom queen with one little line. "That's right, Christy. Keep telling yourself that."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

If they kept throwing in wacky musical performances (hallucinations or not), this will become a Must. Watch. show.  Are you listening ShowRunners?  Wacky is good. 

WORD I was laughing so hard. Keep up the good work. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I was sorry we did get to hear Liam sing- I am sure he'd be terrible but it would still be hilarious.

When Liam started in with his "I choose me!" speech, I was kinda expecting them to stick with the Phil Collins theme and have Liam and Fallon duet on Separate Lives from the White Nights soundtrack.

• LOL 1

UO time, apparently. I get that they want to let the actors show off their singing chops (some of them, anyway 😑) but the random musical interludes were getting ridiculous to me. They were basically time fillers.

And now Adam will be able to scam people by pretending he's still blind after his vision returns. Classic soap opera gambit, superseded only by fake paralysis and fake amnesia.

I like the new Alexis. Maybe this one will stick.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

UO time, apparently. I get that they want to let the actors show off their singing chops (some of them, anyway 😑) but the random musical interludes were getting ridiculous to me. They were basically time fillers.

I agree that the songs were more filler than driving any storyline, though they were cute.    Though, in fairness, judging by Grant Show's and Daniella Alonso's singing, I can't imagine either of them had any desire to show off their singing chops. 

I did laugh at Dominque apparently spending her free time lounging on a chair, stroking her fur coat.  And I can't even with Jeff's bizarre 70's style leisure outfit. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I agree that the songs were more filler than driving any storyline, though they were cute.    Though, in fairness, judging by Grant Show's and Daniella Alonso's singing, I can't imagine either of them had any desire to show off their singing chops. 

I did laugh at Dominque apparently spending her free time lounging on a chair, stroking her fur coat.  And I can't even with Jeff's bizarre 70's style leisure outfit. 

Of the actors, I was most surprised by Sam Underwood. He had excellent annunciation. I never knew some of those lyrics until last night.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ketose said:

Of the actors, I was most surprised by Sam Underwood. He had excellent annunciation. I never knew some of those lyrics until last night.

I really wished that Fallon and Adam would have done a duet together because they had the best singing voices by far.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 3
On 11/1/2019 at 7:41 PM, KittenPokerCheater said:

If they kept throwing in wacky musical performances (hallucinations or not), this will become a Must. Watch. show.  Are you listening ShowRunners?  Wacky is good. 

I was sorry we did get to hear Liam sing- I am sure he'd be terrible but it would still be hilarious.

Not for this viewer.

Have watched every episode since it began.  This was yet another dreadful episode in this already dreadful season.  I didn't sign up for Geriatric Glee.

• Love 2
On 11/2/2019 at 9:56 AM, txhorns79 said:

I agree that the songs were more filler than driving any storyline,.... 

Are there any storylines?

Show has moved at a snail's pace.  Blake aspiring to be Angela Channing?  A swarthy soccer player not being a boy toy for Eunuch Sam? Putting Sharon Lawrence in exactly one scene? 

At least Anders confirmed that the hotel is called La Mirage.

I loved this episode, it was campy and fun and Liz has an amazing voice. 
I did wonder though, what happened to Kirby’s job as head of the publishing house? She was just hanging around the hotel in the episode.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Kdel1079 said:

I loved this episode, it was campy and fun and Liz has an amazing voice. 
I did wonder though, what happened to Kirby’s job as head of the publishing house? She was just hanging around the hotel in the episode.

More importantly when is Fallon going to do something that isn't about trying to get Liam to remember that he loves her. She used to want to create her own dynasty and run her own company.

More evidence of a pointless meandering plot-less season.  Admittedly, the business aspects of the show were laughable in Seasons 1+2.  It seems that whole aspect has been cast aside to transform the show into an over-the-top portrayal of over-the-top characters - a fictitious cross between Real Housewives type flamboyance and Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous excess. That's not necessarily a bad thing.  Or good.  

They spend boatloads of money every week for a party scene with dozens of extras.  True, it's Georgia, so they probably pay them in grits or something.  Morphing their lead female character into a whiny, i-need-a-pipsqueak-of-a-man-to-validate-my life fashionista is only being saved by the actress' screen presence.  Does Fallon even have a job anymore?

And why is Sam the Eunuch spending all his time battling shrewish females, like the Mrs. ex-Senator, the historical society airhead, or even the grand-daughter of the old bigot.  I don't watch any CW shows, but do they whitewash their gay folk this way in 2019?  Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum had more erotic scenes than Sam ever has had.

So wearing a bra as a top is fashionable now? Shades of Sue Ellen Mischke:

RXQQzEh.gif

Looks like they're killing off Jeff, maybe slowly or maybe next month. Contract negotiations on this show must be brutal.

Dominique's big plot has been to get her stepdaughter (right...) a record deal? Okay.

Sure, you can ask a (former?) major recording star at the last minute to sing at your hotel opening. As a favor to a complete stranger. Sure. That wouldn't make them look desperate at all.

If Nadia's hoping to ingratiate herself with Adam she's probably barking up the wrong tree. What's the point of her? Yet another wannabe social climber?

Aw, Fallon already almost blew it with her new potential boyfriend. Evan might be a little too height-challenged for her though. 😼

And of course now Liam gets his memory back. Of course. Too bad for Evan.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • LOL 1

Whew.  I was so worried this episode would involve installation of a karaoke machine in the Carrington Living Room.  Or hiring one of the ex-American Idol panelists to sit in an alcove and critique/compare/compliment performances. Or some knockoff of the Masked Singer with the staff trying to identify which Carrington is under a Princess Costume....

Actually, I thought this was a decent episode that moved the stories forward.

Does it make sense that Dominique would be doing this for a stepdaughter?  No, but I will admit to being caught off guard when the bartender got soaked with a perfectly good martini thanks to StepMom.  The new addition seems to bring some spark to the listless supporting cast.  Presumably her father is the key to much of this.  I do wonder why they went with "Vanessa" rather than "Jackie".  Maybe that means there is another bio-daughter to arrive on the scene. 

I was OK with Sam The Eunuch and his desperate attempt to get a third-rate 2000s has-been as the "celebrity face of La Mirage".   And she did wrangle a free hotel suite for A Year as part of her deal.  That would be a nice 5-figure payment for what ended up as an hour or two of puking. Though I imagine we won't ever hear from her again. 

We also got some insight into Sam The Eunuch's romantic future.  After showing us a ridiculous 5-minute scene in which ex-major domo negotiates the term "partner" into their lexicon, the producers will give us all sorts of hijinks.  A hot new random guy will be all into Sam The Eunuch, but hear someone call Anders and Sam The Eunuch "partners" and presume they are a romantic couple.  Oh, the hilarity ensues <not>.

Kirby is one heckuva businesswoman, aint she?  Homeless, desperate, and pitiful for 3-4 episodes, she boinks the sequestered soccer stud, then apparently discovers she owns a company that someone is willing to buy for $4M.  Nope, turn that down.  I guess she discovered the corporate credit card or the corporate housing that any high school student would have realized was at her disposal.

Never been an Adam fan, but Blind Adam is the best of the worst.  He's supposedly well  into his thirties (med school takes time), swindled and drugged his forlorn sibling, orchestrated his adoptive mother's demise, and smarmed his was through Atlanta for a year.  Now he just gets all giddy for daddy,  <yawn>   The fireplace comeuppance was a nice throwback to shoving a Desperate Housewife into the burning flames.  And I really like the new therapist.  It won't be long before he recovers his sight and she joins him in faking his blindness to give them more fame and fortune that anyone can ever imagine. Also surprised they didn't call her Dana, since that was Adam's secretary-turned-wife in the original.  Maybe they are making the effort to *not* call-back to the original.

It's pretty clear that Crystal Three is a better actress than The Hair Known as Cristal Two. Makes me think the change was not just the actress' decision to not return. She could not pull off these manipulations.  She seems way more devious than Blake, who apparently has regressed into being just a Himbo again.  She could give Celia Machado a run for her money in the scheming category.

Finally, it was wonderful to see Fallon ditching her 4-episode jaunt into Gotta Have That Man and moving forward.  I liked that she played Kirby so well, using the semi-hot-ish do-gooder attorney.  He doesn't seem long for this world though.  I loved the synopsis she gave about cousin/lover Jeff.  And what business is she going to do in that reclaimed office? The energy company seems gone. The soccer team seems only to involve Culhane. Blake and Cristal are aspiring to be Winery Kings.  Kirby has the publishing company. Sam The Eunuch has La Mirage. Jeff has this ersatz *streaming company*.  Where is the Dynasty?

Guess that means we will be back to <gag> star crossed lovers <gag>.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile

It's pretty clear that Crystal Three is a better actress than The Hair Known as Cristal Two.

Damning with faint praise AFAIC. I don't care for this Cristal at all because she seems relatively bland to me. IMO it's like they told the actress to tone it down because they don't want Cristal to stand out so much.

5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Damning with faint praise AFAIC. I don't care for this Cristal at all because she seems relatively bland to me. IMO it's like they told the actress to tone it down because they don't want Cristal to stand out so much.

They don't. This is Fallon's show and I don't think we're ever supposed to forget it.

I do like Evan. It's nice to see Asian males presented as attractive.

• Love 2

Thoughts:

• Adam's nurse is weird.
  • Fallon talking in front of the help that's working with/for your creepy brother isn't smart.
  • Kirby is useless and I'm pretty bored whenever she's on screen.
  • Evan has a temper. Run Fallon run.
  • Are they ever going to check on/mention Steven?
  • Love 2

Damn, they made the hot Asian dude crazy, just like they did on Insatiable. (Well, one was- the other was still normal.) I thought they were going to drag out the Liam amnesia thing much longer. My guess is that Evan is going to frame Fallon for something? I would assume it'd be for murdering Trixie, but that case would have to be resolved at this point.

I had a moment tonight where Fallon made me remember Erica Kane, and that made me smile.

I think Cult Guru was Pierson Fode, who is best known for his stint as Thomas Forrester. IMDB didn't list him, though. I guess Kirby's joining a cult, and Sam's going to save her.

18 minutes ago, MsTree said:

It was. His credit was rolled at the beginning.

Knew it! What a cutie. Shame he's obviously playing a slimeball here. He woud've made a pretty decent Steven, too.

I felt like they were obviously modeling Dominique on Cookie Lyon, and the singing plot line and the Jussie Smollett reference cinched that for me. LOL.

It occured to me that they're probably going to have New Alexis show up at the trial, ala the original show.

• Love 1

I feel like I'm missing something with Dominque.  Why would Jeff or Monica be furious that Dominque has a stepdaughter?  I mean, I get that it would be another thing that she hid from them, and they may be upset over that, but the secret itself doesn't exactly seem earth shattering.   

• Love 1

Fallon Unlimited. FU. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Ew, isn't Dominique's stepdaughter (right) kind of young for Culhane? Vanessa looks like she's barely out of high school to me.

Yeesh, so Evan is that guy. Guess Liam will end up having to "rescue" Fallon from him. 😑

Are ankle monitors really that worthless?

Loved Monica's zebra print dress.

Adam's nurse is an even bigger wackadoodle than he is. Bet she's trying to get on the Carrington Anchor Baby 18-Year Financial Plan via Adam. She better hurry before he gets his vision back. 😼

• LOL 1
15 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Adam's nurse is an even bigger wackadoodle than he is. Bet she's trying to get on the Carrington Anchor Baby 18-Year Financial Plan via Adam. She better hurry before he gets his vision back. 😼

I love that Adam's wackadoodle levels seem to fluctuate. Sometimes he's straight up Joe Goldberg-level wackadoodle; other times he's more like Sebastian from Cruel Intentions wackadoodle, and then sometimes he reminds me of Spencer from General Hospital, just as an adult. (I'm shocked that kid hasn't been SORASED into a hunky "16"-year old playing by a 25-year old underwear model.) He's also giving off Thomas Forrester vibes right now. I'm kind of hoping he eventually channels Todd Manning circa 1996 vibes. Now that was a great balance of crazy yet oddly compelling.

I honestly think Sam Underwood is capable of THIS mode of Adam from the OG show (which damn- what a hot scene) but whatever, it is what it is. Southern Gothic Eddie Haskell it is. Honestly, it's kind of better this way that these characters bear so little resemblance to the OG show characters.

But yeah, I'm betting that the nurse is going to turn out to be pretty darned crazy. And so will Evan, apparently.

• Love 1

Heh, IIRC, Todd Manning was eventually revealed to have DID, just like his older sister. I think a lot of what proved compelling about the character's "issues" was the actor who played him the longest. Allegedly one of the reasons he left the show for a while was the disturbingly positive reaction of some fans to Todd's worst deeds.

Tommy Forrester has his mommy's crazypants genes, and his daddy seems to have developed undiagnosed anger and control issues in the past few years. (Around the same time he developed a vaguely European accent. 🙄) Some of that may have rubbed off. Basically though it just seems to be toxic male entitlement, IMO.

Sometimes he's straight up Joe Goldberg-level wackadoodle;

I like this reference and wouldn't have a hard time believing that this is mostly what they're going for with this version of Adam. He's generally pretty strategic with his insane schemes but he keeps wanting to make everything a zero sum game, to his repeated detriment.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

I felt like they were obviously modeling Dominique on Cookie Lyon, and the singing plot line and the Jussie Smollett reference cinched that for me. LOL.

That line regarding Jussie Smollett was a bit too meta for me.  But given their recent "musical" focus and that Rafael de la Fuente ("Sam") played "Jamal's" BF for couple of seasons on Empire maybe they could bring on Jussie here to be Sam's BF and they can both sing? That would cause some commotion.