Type keyword(s) to search

Dynasty (2017) - General Discussion

Bort
  • Start Topic

I don't see the point in dressing Monica like a Christmas tree. Just sitting around the house with a big ol' lime green bow around her butt? Going to the hospital/Carrington house all spangled up? Is the point to somehow demonstrate that she's rich or is it some wet dream of how rich people dress?

• Love 1

Ugh! A 'who's the daddy storyline'. Soap opera trope 101. My guess is something will happen and Crystal will lose the baby.

Where in the world is Steven? That was definitely not Paraguay.

Fallon, Sam and Anders are the main reasons why I keep watching this craziness.

• Love 2

Color me surprised that Steven's disappearance wasn't used to swap out the actor.

Love Fallon slapping Sam: Don't you dare cheat on my brother! It's always touching to see that bond between Fallon and Steven.

NuCrystal didn't bug as much this episode. They did a good job styling her. Jeff's monochrome outfit when he "died" is how he should always dress.

Fallon's smirk-smile at the end of the episode was everything.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Can they make Fallon's dresses any shorter? Who is that in bed next to Sammy Jo when Steven called, never mind, I know who it was. Where is the baby, they were kind of acting like they didn't get him back last episode.

When Sam realized the baby's parents were Matthew and Claudia, he contacted Matthew's parents so they could get their grandson. He realized how crazy it was the baby to be with Carringtons and he was returning him to his real family. He did it for the good of the child.

6 hours ago, Fireball said:

I think Liam is gone for good. 

Until they reveal that he is Adam. I am never going to give up that belief.

How many times did it seem that Liam and Fallon would hook up, only for something or someone to stop them? 

I mean Fallon has slept with Jeff after breaking off with Michael the last time and they turned out to be second cousins or something.

• Love 3
On 1/25/2019 at 1:28 AM, AnimeMania said:

Can they make Fallon's dresses any shorter? Who is that in bed next to Sammy Jo when Steven called, never mind, I know who it was. Where is the baby, they were kind of acting like they didn't get him back last episode.

Theoretically, they could make them shorter, but it might not qualify as a dress at that point.

• LOL 1

As soon as we had the opening shot of Crystal#2's stand-in riding the horse, fans of the Original knew where this was going. Was surprised at how explicit they made drunken Alexis' shot into Mark Jennings.  I didn't think The CW allowed blood/guts/brain splatter.

Soccer players are typically not 200+ pounds and 6-foot-4.  We didn't even get a Sam-n-Kirby Drool-a-Thon over breakfast. 

Of course Sam is getting troll-ed with that *dramatic* cliffhanger phone call.   The scam of "crooks calling grannies" with pleas of help is pretty well-known these days.  Not exactly difficult to splice together some Steven voice snippets (from his TV interviews while running for The Senate) and static to get a few million from the Carrington Estate.

Still not liking the cuddly Joseph Anders.  Or his bratty, pointless daughter.

Fallon missed her chance to stroke Crystal#2's hair when they were bonding.   Maybe she got over her fascination from a couple weeks ago.

Now that we are renewed for Season Three, am soooooo hoping we get a new Crystal for next season  !!!

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Although how they are going to write Alexis out of this one.

Doesn't seem too difficult to me, but then again I watch Days of Our Lives and General Hospital, each of which features a serial killer as a romantic lead.

I guess my real problem with this show is it's lack of drama, everything is so tongue-in-cheek or ironic that nothing seems to matter.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

The ongoing "can I stroke your hair" joke has been fun.

Still miss Liam.

I would give Crystal#2 the gun and say Crystal#2 shot Mark but the gunshot spooked the horse and Crystal#2 fell off and got dragged. Crystal#2 having lost the baby and being in a coma, can not give her version of what happened. I wonder if anybody heard the gunshot? If not, put the gun in Crystal#2's hand fire a shot to get the gunshot residue or rub you hand over Crystal#2's hand to try to transfer as much gunshot residue as possible and then wash your hands. (P.S. Don't forget to retrieve your suicide note, wipe your fingerprints off the gun and the bullets, including all the ones you dropped on the ground, and on the gun cabinet, wow murder takes too much work. Just say no!)

#How_To_Get_Away_With_Murder_101

I'm still trying to figure out why Alexis was wearing a coat indoors this episode. Is there no heat in the Carrington mansion?

Also, why is she always conveniently lurking in the shadows when sensitive conversations are going on? Does she wander about the estate hoping to hear something she can use to stir up trouble? I just don't understand what her purpose on this show is.

Of course there was the dramatic cliffhanger; I'm calling Crystal loses the baby.

7 minutes ago, woodstock said:

Alexis

I just don't understand what her purpose on this show is.

You and me both.  Nicollette deserves much better.  They are wasting her on this show.  I hope this improves soon. 

• Love 2

So I think Blake is going to initially think that he is responsible for Mark getting shot/killed and causing Cristal to lose the baby. Alexis will try to cover her tracks for a few episodes, but Cristal will find out and then I hope that we have the mother of all catfights as we did in the original when Crystal found out that Alexis caused her to lose her child.

Edited by nilyank
12 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I think it will be pretty easy.  The show spent precious airtime with Blake phoning his henchmen to do something to Mark Jennings.  And Blake had to "leave a message" to stop whatever was intended.

It's very possible that drunk Alexis' bullet hit no one and that a shot was fired by Blake's hit-man.  It was only intended as a warning shot, but Alexis spooked the horses and the shot ended up hitting Mark Jennings.  Alexis will ditch her gun and think she is the culprit.  Blake will think his man did the deed. Neither will know about the other for the rest of the season, until the gun Alexis stole is recovered by the Family Dog or Sam.

I am just hoping against hope that Mark Jennings doesn't die and that he and Crystal #2 head off together by the season finale.....clearing the way for Cristal #3 next year !!!

• Love 1

According to that article, they may recast. I was going to post this and add "This show's behind the scenes is a disaster." That's a third major cast member out in less than a year. Two of them were definitely firings, and Nicollette's is made to be her decision, though that official statement could be entirely untrue and just the good work of her publicist to make both parties look better than the last two exits (James and Nathalie were pretty blatant about it not being mutual partings on their end). 

Who's next? Grant Show? Liz Gillies? 

Good riddance.  

This was a horrible casting decision from the outset.  I suppose they thought the show would get some buzz and the ratings would spike. That failed.  I really hope they just send Alexis packing.  There is no need for her character. in this re-boot.  Season 1 went at a breakneck pace, with storylines starting and ending before you could take a breath -- or even figure out WTF had happened.  This season has been much slower paced, but just as unfulfilling, aimlessly meandering with meaningless episodes - probably designed to make viewers fall in love with the Carringtons.  Another fail.   

Maybe they will make this season  "just a dream" and Fallon will wake up: 

• The family will still own Carrington Atlantic and not obsessing their alleged billionaire business acumen on Atlanta's #2 professional soccer team. 
  • Krystal #2 will be a Physical Therapist, on staff at the mansion to provide rehab services to random injured Carringtons, weaving her way into the family as she sets her sights on being the Next Mrs Carrington. 
  • The image of Anders boinking the Lady of the House 30 years ago will be swiped from everyone's minds. 
  • Sam will have his edge back and not simply be some Wally Cleaver Wanna Be. 
  • Missing finger fake Adam could still be faking his way around the mansion. 
  • Crazy Claudia Blaisdell and baby could be Permanent Houseguests, with Sam and Steven serving as surrogate parents while Claudia descends into more madness, maybe making Kirby the attention of her dementia.

Not likely.

I really hope they don't recast Alexis.  Instead, send Dominique Deveraux to Atlanta -- maybe as the torch singer who recently married into the crazy Ridley/Van Ryan (?) family.  She brings the Twerpy Tiny Liam and his new bride back into the picture, along with Twerpy Tiny Liam's mother and her flower-loving overly-fey hubby, who gawks at Sam's faux abs or mocks Jeff Colby's wardrobe.

Oh, and of course, Season #3 means Cristal/Kristal/Krystle #3.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

So Culhane is hanging out with Kirby. In the original, it was Jeff who moved onto Kirby after breaking up with Fallon and then Adam showed up.

They finally pulled the trigger on Adam. I guess to my theory of Liam is Adam will have to be put away. For now. But I will say, this new Adam is acting the way I expect Adam to act like. He is going to come when everyone especially Blake is so vulnerable.

Speaking of which, I guess Blake is now a murderer and Crystal is okay with that. I still need her to give the big ole beat down on Alexis when she finds out the truth.

2 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Worst. Episode. Ever.

It certainly was odd.  It seems like the producers have decided to go gruesome and dark, instead of light-hearted and whimsical.  Maybe that sells better overseas, and apparently the French TV network chipped in to bankroll the series. It also could help explain why Nicollette suddenly found family obligations and opted to move on. Quickly.

Random musings:

• No opening credit slideshow again.  It had been in place for nearly all season.  Maybe it is too cheery, cheesy, and chipper for a Show Turned Dark.
  • KrystalTwo gets marginally hysterical upon learning of her ex's death but barely reacts to the loss of her (only) child.  And we thought Linda Evans under-acted.
  • James Mackay was listed as the Male Lead again.  Seems odd, maybe contractual? Maybe they couldn't list him as a Guest Star?  Or maybe he is back?  Hideous haircut, awkward male kissing, palest-male-in-the-world skintone and all?
  • We knew that Blake had a disinherited brother in the Original.  This time around, everyone in the family knows of him and he has a French Family.  Which we never heard about in the first 35 episodes of the show, but with whom Fallon is still chummy.
  • How exactly did wimpy 5-foot-7 Grant Show overpower, subdue, and tie up his hired "muscle".  I guess Anders took a break from playing with his puppy, snarkng with Alexis, and making videos for his son-in-law's webfans?  And we do now know for sure that Joseph knows where the bodies are buried.
  • Blake asks Alexis to *comfort* KrystalTwo?  Huh?
  • Does George Glass have a missing finger?
  • No Colbys again. Their wardrobe intervention may last half a season.
  • Really like the Fallon-SammyJo dynamic.  Sadly, I think he is destined as the Eunuch Gay BFF and not the Sexy Manipulator male version of Heather Locklear. 

This was the first of the "Back Nine" episodes for this season. So a shift in approach may have been part of the renewall process.  If the show had been canceled after 13 episodes, then Krystal's Wild Ride would have ended Dynasty 2.0. I would be OK with a darker, more brutal reboot.  The light, slightly tongue-in-cheek format never has caught on with the CW viewers.

I still want Crystal #3 for next season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Going to "France" was not a great story decision. This is already Dynasty on the cheap, given that TV budgets are getting smaller and on the CW they're practically non-existent. Doing a bunch of tiny interior scenes doesn't exactly help suspend disbelief. Also, SanDiegoInExile makes a good point about French investment. Revenge brought on a famous actor in Japan because Japanese audiences loved the show.

I suspect Grant Show and Elizabeth Gillies will not leave the show as this is Gillies biggest role to date and Show is a trooper and knows how soaps work. He played the devil on "Point Pleasant" for a year, so he can get through Blake Carrington. Alan Dale did the OC with an American accent and survived, so he's probably in for the duration.

• Love 1
On 3/17/2019 at 12:14 AM, ketose said:

I suspect Grant Show and Elizabeth Gillies will not leave the show as this is Gillies biggest role to date and Show is a trooper and knows how soaps work. He played the devil on "Point Pleasant" for a year, so he can get through Blake Carrington. Alan Dale did the OC with an American accent and survived, so he's probably in for the duration.

This feels like Fallon's show more than anything else.

I'm sold on this Adam. It feels last minute as hell (and probably why James MacKay was given a swan song after his literal swan song) but I loved this Adam's scrappy vibe. He definitely made me sit up and watch. Maybe he'll be this show's Max Brown and make it watchable for a season like what happened on the Royals, which shifted in tone when Robert showed up.

Josh Schwartz needs to get on his hands and knees and beg Melinda Clarke to come on the show as Alexis. Or hell, we can just pretend Grant Show's wife isn't the same person she was earlier and just use her because she also felt like someone that could be a great Alexis.

I think the problem is that Nicolette just point blank didn't have chemistry with anyone- not Liz, not Grant, not the 2 Cristals, not even Steven, who is supposed to be the favored child by her. This Alexis also just felt really pathetic- she had no ambition beyond Blake and I always thought she should have been trying to destroy Blake, not try to get him back.

If the show had been canceled after 13 episodes, then Krystal's Wild Ride would have ended Dynasty 2.0. I would be OK with a darker, more brutal reboot.  The light, slightly tongue-in-cheek format never has caught on with the CW viewers.

I'm not going to lie- knowing that Blake murdered a man with his bare hands and NuCristal just coldly walked away leaving him to his fate made me find them both more interesting. I guess de-aging Blake by a good 20 years was the right call after all. And it's kind of funny that NuCristal is clearly a worse person than even OGCristal was, given that she herself had her shady bits. That Cristal (as well as watery-eyed Krstyle from OG Dynasty) never would have done that.

As for the other point, that breezy light soap format has never really worked on the CW, save for Gossip Girl (in which Blair is a CLEAR inspiration for this version of Fallon) and Jane the Virgin. (Maybe Crazy Ex Girlfriend? I haven't watched the show.)

I still cannot believe the show got a third season but I said the same thing about The Royals, which did wind up going to a 4th season despite all odds against that. When I check Twitter tags I do see a lot of international tweets from non-English speaking counties so I feel like that and Netflix has to be why this show isn't dead yet.

Edited to add: It looks like Sam Underwood has a background in dark dramas so they really did try to get someone from a completely different vein of acting for the part.

My theory is that I think they probably kept going back and forth on making Liam Adam which is why Fallon never consummated with Liam and then when they realized they were writing out Nicolette decided to get someone completely different in. The Adam reveal is a convenient (as well as the reveal of Alexis's part in Fake Adam) way to get this version of Alexis out of the way for awhile.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

This feels like Fallon's show more than anything else.

I'm sold on this Adam. It feels last minute as hell (and probably why James MacKay was given a swan song after his literal swan song) but I loved this Adam's scrappy vibe. He definitely made me sit up and watch. Maybe he'll be this show's Max Brown and make it watchable for a season like what happened on the Royals, which shifted in tone when Robert showed up.

I'm not going to lie- knowing that Blake murdered a man with his bare hands and NuCristal just coldly walked away leaving him to his fate made me find them both more interesting. I guess de-aging Blake by a good 20 years was the right call after all.

Edited to add: It looks like Sam Underwood has a background in dark dramas so they really did try to get someone from a completely different vein of acting for the part.

I agree that Fallon is the main character of this show, but I totally disagree that Grant Show is pulling this off, he is the biggest weakest link in the cast:  he's neither patriarchal nor is he full of presence.

I have hope for the show, now that I hear NS is being jettisoned, and now they have an actual villain who's actually villainous.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm not going to lie- knowing that Blake murdered a man with his bare hands and NuCristal just coldly walked away leaving him to his fate made me find them both more interesting. I guess de-aging Blake by a good 20 years was the right call after all. And it's kind of funny that NuCristal is clearly a worse person than even OGCristal was, given that she herself had her shady bits. That Cristal (as well as watery-eyed Krstyle from OG Dynasty) never would have done that.

The funny part is that Grant Show is only 8 years younger than John Forsythe was when did the original Dynasty.

9 hours ago, ketose said:

The funny part is that Grant Show is only 8 years younger than John Forsythe was when did the original Dynasty.

TIL that I can't do math right because I had calculated John F. as being about 72 in 1980. Whoops.

The characters on the OG version just all seemed so much older, but I read later on that they were basically trying to imitate 1940's movies and that explains so much about how old these characters seemed.

I have hope for the show, now that I hear NS is being jettisoned, and now they have an actual villain who's actually villainous. 

I love that they tried to introduce Kirby like she was going to be some total Valerie Malone type but then they just backed off completely on that and she's basically Sam's second in command.

I really wanted to love NS but Alexis just seemed to become more and more pathetic the longer her character was on until becoming completely irrelevant this season. I feel like they thought they could just say, "Here's Alexis!" and people would just tune in. Then reality set (the show's bleeding stopped but it didn't really jazz up) and I feel pretty positive that they weight NS's probable salary vs. what she's actually bringing to the show and decided no.

James Mackay was listed as the Male Lead again.  Seems odd, maybe contractual? Maybe they couldn't list him as a Guest Star?  Or maybe he is back?  Hideous haircut, awkward male kissing, palest-male-in-the-world skintone and all?

I'm guessing it's contractual since he's still got that "dead man walking vibe" he's had since late season 1 when it started being whispered they were letting him go. I think he's probably just finishing out the guaranteed minimums he had as a regular. Or it's possible he got another reprieve (which I think his first reprieve was when Nathalie was let go) because James does seem like he's got his fans. His social media following isn't enormous but he does seem to engage with Dynasty fans pretty well. I'm so conflicted because James really does seem like a sweet guy and his brother/sister chemistry with Liz is nice, but he just can't really bring it as an actor when he needs to. I do really hope that if this is really the end this time, he tries getting into musicals. Dude has a really lovely singing voice and the stage could help him hone his skills.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm guessing it's contractual since he's still got that "dead man walking vibe" he's had since late season 1 when it started being whispered they were letting him go. I think he's probably just finishing out the guaranteed minimums he had as a regular. Or it's possible he got another reprieve (which I think his first reprieve was when Nathalie was let go) because James does seem like he's got his fans. His social media following isn't enormous but he does seem to engage with Dynasty fans pretty well. I'm so conflicted because James really does seem like a sweet guy and his brother/sister chemistry with Liz is nice, but he just can't really bring it as an actor when he needs to. I do really hope that if this is really the end this time, he tries getting into musicals. Dude has a really lovely singing voice and the stage could help him hone his skills.

I remember when it was first announced that James was let go from the show, that Steven would make additional appearances, so I'm leaning toward him finishing out his last episode. 

Now, I actually watched this episode after skipping a whole bunch, so I'll have to go back at some point to catch up.

James Mackay definitely isn't a strong actor, but he worked well with Liz Gillies and I honestly thought he did well with Steven's mental breakdown, or what appeared to be a mental breakdown. I'm unclear as to whether Adam killed Steven or what (could be that Adam just paralyzed him or put him in a coma), but they certainly left that door open for a new actor to come in to play Steven if needed be. I feel bad for James, though, who had to come back to a show that fired him seemingly for no good reason, other than maybe "creative differences" AKA his version of Steven was not what they wanted after all.  

Now, I did have hope for Liam as Adam but it seems like this new guy is actually Adam...which isn't a bad thing. In his few short appearances in this episode, he was fairly convincing as a villain. I mean, he certainly fits in as a Carrington when he intentionally messed with Steven's mental health and potentially killed him. 

I completely missed the whole Blake/Cristal 2.0 stuff that has happened in the last few episodes and now, I'm not so sure I even want to know. It's just good to see that I care as much for Cristal as I did in the first episode she appeared in....which is pretty much not at all. I don't even think the actress is that good. 

Who knows what they have planned for season 3. Their behind the scenes drama is already a mess. They don't have a lot of characters that can carry the show. They certainly can't afford to lose Liz Gillies, but everyone else is fair game (except for probably Alan Dale. I think losing NS has freed up their budget by....a lot, so that should help whatever plans they have for season 3. 

On 3/19/2019 at 12:16 PM, Lady Calypso said:

They certainly can't afford to lose Liz Gillies, but everyone else is fair game (except for probably Alan Dale. I think losing NS has freed up their budget by....a lot, so that should help whatever plans they have for season 3. 

I'm going to put this out here...Daphne Zuniga? She can play bitch and she looks good but can still move her face, which is an increasingly rarity in Hollywood for actresses over 40. She would be my choice behind Melinda Clarke. She probably lives in Canada though because that is her country and she's a staple on Lifetime/Hallmark so who knows.

Although I do agree with people that Alexis kind of just doesn't seem to have much of a purpose in the reboot. Alexis worked in the OG version of because of Joan Collins, and because she counter-acted watery-eyed Linda Evans. Cristal in this version, both of them, just don't have that "pillar of good" vibe to them that you need to have standing opposite a force like Alexis. And Blake just doesn't feel like much of prize even though he looks like Grant Show.

Maybe they'll just bring in Dominique instead.

I do think it's telling that in a cast this large, the only people that feel indispensable are Alan Dale and Liz Gillies.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I am so over this show.  If I watch, it won't be live, and I'll be switching to the angry, "what the eff did you do to my frivolous and funny show??" kind of commentary.

Bring on Crystal 3.0  

I'm pretty much right there with you. I was thoroughly enjoying the campy and silly take off of the original show. This is wandering into a dark and cold area that I didn't sign up for. 

• Love 4

Glad to know I wasn't the only one wondering if Adam killed Steven last week. Also happy to hear I wasn't the only one that was enjoying the true camp of this show.

The scenes with Liz Gillies singing were also highlights of mine. She seemed to have good chemistry with brother Steven. I hope they bring the character back into the fold. I continue to hold out hope that Liam returns.

I think the show is struggling as it moves away from the true camp and tries to be serious. They just don't seem to know how to make that transition.

Not a fan of Crystal 1 or 2 now. Trying to give that character "edge" doesn't seem to play well at all. Mebbe Crystal 2 will end up dead this season paving the way for Krystal #3 next season. The new running gag of the show....season 10 = Cristel #10 lol.

Between Blake killing someone last week and Adam shoving his mother face first into the fire, and doing a mental job on Steven last week..this show is going into some dark places it really doesn't need to.

All that said I suspect I'll be watching right up until the end of season 3.

59 minutes of dreck and 1 minute of *wow*.

Not really liking Eddie Haskell on Steroids.   The actor is pretty weak in his non-demented moments.  He comes across way too young to have graduated medical school, completed an internship, become a doctor, been fired, and made a Big Name for himself as Billings Hero Veterinarian.  

Velma and Shaggy's daytrip to Montana?  What a poorly executed joke.

Blake over-explaining the Family Tree in 45-seconds?  Why? 

Didn't think the 6-month flashbacks were done all that well, nor were they well-integrated into the flow of the show. Maybe I am just spoiled by how well it's done on other shows.

I don't believe this is the Real Adam, though I am forever grateful he was part of the plot to send NS packing. At least now we know they plan to recast the role.

Jeff Colby sure is one savvy business mind....getting snookered by a limo driver and an (apparent) mob princess.

Hopefully, the land deal orchestrated by KristalTwo will be the first step leading to next season's Kristal #3

• Love 1
17 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I was expecting Adam to shove Alexis into the fire face-first. Now if she has plastic surgery she will need a new face. Perfect for recasting her.

That was dark as shit and I was feeling it.

I don't believe this is the Real Adam, though I am forever grateful he was part of the plot to send NS packing. At least now we know they plan to recast the role. 

It'd be funny as shit if we also get a new "Adam" every season.

I did like that they basically borrowed the entrance of Christian Grey Adam on the OG version.

Edited by methodwriter85

I was expecting Adam to do something to Alexis, maybe bang her head against the stone of the fireplace, but not that! And why do something that serious when you're at the house, with everyone home? Although it is the Carrington Manor, so there's a good possibility that no one would hear your screams, I suppose. Will she make it out alive? I mean, I know NS won't be back, but will they recast or simply kill her off? Diving headfirst into a lake of fire... She's inhaling all that fire and smoke. Can she possibly live afterward? I've never seen the original Dynasty, so I have no idea how closely this reboot may or may not stay true. And I agree with someone upthread. I don't think this is the true Adam. If it's that easy to manipulate Hank's bloodtest, it can be done again. I'm hungrily awaiting the next episode. I thoroughly enjoy this ridiculous show! 

• Love 1