Type keyword(s) to search

Dynasty (2017) - General Discussion

Bort
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Laughed out loud at this one. I guess Fallon pushing people into holes tickles my funny bone, be it graves, swimming pools, trailers or tents. I still have no idea of what is so bad about the photograph of Michael.

The threat of that photo and the oh-so-evil demeanor of blonde lady in her lair totally confuses me too! (What's her name again?) I like that Culhane has something to do other than pine after or be plotting romantic revenge on Fallon but I'm just not following here.

20 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I still don't get the purpose of NuCristal and frankly, I don't really care. It's like they have had no idea of what to do with her and getting rid of Steven (or because James Mackay is busy during the filming for the next few episodes) was the only way to maybe get her involved more. She legit showed up for one scene here and it was to prop the Blake/Anders storyline. She wasn't needed in this episode at all and it showed that this episode did just fine without her. Kirby is more interesting than Cristal.

Yeah, me neither. So she had a conversation with some never-seen-again coworker/friend, turns up at the Manor without wanting any of the ridiculous checks that Blake was throwing at all the Cristals (so why?), then Blake went crazy trying to turn NuCristal into OldCristal and she left (this part makes sense at least) and now she's back because of the Steven drama? What am I missing?

Definitely agree that Kirby in all her OTT glory is more interesting that NuCristal.

On 2018-11-03 at 6:16 AM, missbonnie said:

Bahaha! I love this show so much! "Get out of my yurt!" I hope that TPTB keep up all the campiness because it makes for a fun hour of TV. 

Give me ALL the crazy!! I honestly don't really care that I have no clue what's going on (see above) as long as they keep up the camp!

• Love 3
On 11/3/2018 at 9:57 AM, Lady Calypso said:

where Fallon was throwing Alexis out of the house.

I may be alone in this, but I am beyond tired of seeing Fallon manhandle her mother.  From last seasons' pool fight to last episode's throwing things at her, throwing her out the house, throwing her into a tent, etc., etc. is too much.  I know this show is camp and very over the top, but showing someone treat their mother like this is hard to keep watching.  If she keeps this up, they need to let Alexis start hitting back.  

• Love 2
On 10/27/2018 at 11:37 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Is every single woman on this show a bitch?

I started watching half way thru the first season until now.  That said, the original Cristal seemed to be a genuinely good person and not a bitch.  So far this also seems to be the case for the new Cristal too.    

Steven and Sam are sooooo boring.  The storyline and the actors. And neither has any sex appeal.

I can agree with you on Steven, but Sam is very yummy.  

On 11/4/2018 at 9:03 PM, A.J. said:

I started watching half way thru the first season until now.  That said, the original Cristal seemed to be a genuinely good person and not a bitch.  So far this also seems to be the case for the new Cristal too.    

I can agree with you on Steven, but Sam is very yummy.  

Original Cristal was not a good person. For starters, she stole someone's money and then someone's identity. Then she was having an affair with a married man (Matthew Blaisdell); then as a PR exec, she participated in the cover-up of Carrington Atlantic polluting the town that Culhane's parents lived in. 

I agree with you about Sam.

So another episode where my belief that Liam is really Adam is reaffirmed. He and Fallon heavily kissed but she basically stopped when she saw Michael with blondie.

There's crazy Claudia and she named the baby after Matthew. But with Cristal 1.0 being dead why is still going after the Carringtons.

I was  not surprised that Sam decided to ask Kirby to be the surrogate. It's the only way that Danny can be conceived at still be a part of both Sam and Steven.

Edited by nilyank
On 11/7/2018 at 8:17 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Original Cristal was not a good person. For starters, she stole someone's money and then someone's identity. Then she was having an affair with a married man (Matthew Blaisdell); then as a PR exec, she participated in the cover-up of Carrington Atlantic polluting the town that Culhane's parents lived in. 

Thanks for the update.  I had no idea she did all that except for the last part.  I need to go back and watch the 1st have of the first season.  I didn't start watching until Alexis entered.  

11 hours ago, nilyank said:

There's crazy Claudia and she named the baby after Matthew. But with Cristal 1.0 being dead why is still going after the Carringtons.

I was  not surprised that Sam decided to ask Kirby to be the surrogate. It's the only way that Danny can be conceived at still be a part of both Sam and Steven.

Matthew died at the explosion and I'm assuming she blames them for his death, although you would think the fact that she killed Cristal would be enough.

I enjoy the hell out of Brent Antonello and his character is pretty hilariously stupid. I lost it at watching Hank put the prosthetic finger in Baby Matthew's mouth.

It does make sense, and they do seem to be setting up Kirby to serve the Sammy Jo function of this iteration.

I was really happy with the Falliam moment and then boo'd at the heavy makeout getting interrupted. Damn it! I did like that it was basically the speech from 10 Things I Hate About You.

Cristal 2.0 seems to be like Anastacia Steele getting pursued by a dad-aged Christian Grey.

I kind of liked that Cristal 1.0 wasn't sweetness and light like Krystle on OG Dynasty was. I also liked that she wasn't obsessed with giving Blake a child like Krystle was, although Krystle's baby rabies did eventually lead to that iconic lilypond fight.

I didn't see any way that her marriage to Blake could have continued under any circumstances, though. She was so done and I kind of liked that about her exit.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Matthew died at the explosion and I'm assuming she blames them for his death, although you would think the fact that she killed Cristal would be enough.

I don't know how Claudia can blame the Carringtons when Fallon figured out that it was Claudia who set up the device that caused Matthew to be killed when she realized that he was having an affair with Cristal.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, nilyank said:

I don't know how Claudia can blame the Carringtons when Fallon figured out that it was Claudia who set up the device that caused Matthew to be killed when she realized that he was having an affair with Cristal.

Right. I guess she's just crazy.

15 minutes ago, mommalib said:

So Fallon was getting ready to cheat on Michael?

Because she thought that he was cheating on her and because her feelings are conflicted about LIam.

Edited by nilyank
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

...... Nicolette Sheridan.   She can’t act, and just says her lines and chews up scenery.  She needs to tone everything down including her clothes, over bleached hair and bad plastic surgery.  

I am not a fan either, however, i think this is what the CW and the producers want.   To be fair, Alexis 1.0 was pretty over the top in her era -- fashionwise especially.  And I don't recall many Emmy nominations for Joan Collins.

The 8-minute riff they did on The Wizard of Oz was one of the best things this show has ever done.   Would love for a clip of that to go viral and lead some more viewers to the show.

• Love 1

I forget the rest of the line but Alexis dropping  'You'd have better luck getting Chik-fil-a on a Sunday.' Made me mildly chortle. The writers know that much to drop in 😂 

I oddly like Culhane and Colby in peril together and Jeff actually showing some growth in not exposing Fallon and sticking up for Michael. 

Knew baby Matthew would end up with the Carringtons but Hank being smart enough to send Claudia off on a decoy run and meet up with Alexis on his own no leave the baby with her was a nice twist. No way Alexis is saddled with Matthew but I can see this being how Sammy Jo gets his baby. Although something tells me Claudia is gonna die trying to get her baby back and will mortally wound at least two people with one of them really dead (Liam) and the other (Kirby or Alexis) getting the redemption arc.

• Love 1

I didn't watch Season 1.  The only reason I started watching Season 2 is to see how ABC (Cristal 2)* would do in an English speaking role; I believe this is her first one, and then I ended up getting sucked in.

From reading the background, they said that Jeff & Monica's mother Millie was Thomas Carrington's child, therefore Blake's sister.  We know from Dynasty 1.0 that Millie = Dominique Deveraux**.  So I wonder if Jackie will exist on this version (just like I wonder if Amanda will exist on this version)?  I'm guessing not, if Jeff & Monica are her kids.

I enjoyed seeing Alexis & Cristal fighting in Fallon's dream.

I need that antiques lady gone ASAP.

*Ana Brenda Contreras wears her hair in the same Morticia like style in every single program I've seen her on.  I also wonder if she is also filming the sequel of the telenovela she starred in before joining the cast of Dynasty (according to Wiki, they started production in June or July).  I kind of hope not because her character was a good girl boring lawyer.

**It would be a blast if Vanessa Williams played Dominique Deveraux.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 1

This show is batshit crazy.

I like Grant Show, but they need to do something with Blake other than have him keep falling in love with Cristals. Didn't he make a big deal out of just burying (or at least cremating) Original Recipe Cristal a few months ago? But now he's ready to remarry to NuCristal? I think they made a mistake in not having him involved with his business and letting all the corporate wheelings and dealings fall on Fallon. 

Hank is a moron, but he's got a good heart underneath the larceny. I loved that he left little Matthew with Alexis, with the note reading "His mom is Claudia. She's crazy." I figured he was going to steal the baby.

The Michael blackmail plot is dumb. I still can't figure out who the white-haired chick is.

I wasn't a fan of the actor playing Steven, but he knocked it out of the park in the episode that focused on him. It's too bad there wasn't more of that before they dumped him unceremoniously. What kind of husband leaves his husband of two months or so to go alone to Paraguay? (And why the hell were they all pronouncing it the way they did?) I love Sam, but why would he keep living in the house? His aunt is dead and his husband left him. Yeah, yeah, we get the "Steven and I Facetimed, but it's not the same as being there."

The "Wizard of Oz" send-up was hilarious, especially because Fallon got hit on the head with a cow creamer.

• Love 1

I wasn't a fan of the actor playing Steven, but he knocked it out of the park in the episode that focused on him. It's too bad there wasn't more of that before they dumped him unceremoniously. 

I think this opens up the door for NEW Steven!  They're totally going to recast and, hopefully, go with someone hotter, just like the first time around.  Oh, the possibilities . . .

I loved that Wizard of Oz sequence! That was great. This show is really good when they go completely off the rails with something you would have never seen on the original show, like Sam's Molly-infused performance.

On 11/27/2018 at 1:28 PM, ghertigirl said:

I wasn't a fan of the actor playing Steven, but he knocked it out of the park in the episode that focused on him. It's too bad there wasn't more of that before they dumped him unceremoniously. 

He has a lovely voice. I think he just wasn't suited to be on a soap opera.

On 11/24/2018 at 12:06 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Hank is a moron, but he's got a good heart underneath the larceny. I loved that he left little Matthew with Alexis, with the note reading "His mom is Claudia. She's crazy." I figured he was going to steal the baby.

I loved the touch that the handwriting is absolutely horrendous.

He did seem way more engaged with the baby than Claudia was. I should've seen that coming.

I just don't buy this Blake and Cristal2.  They just appear to have been put together and I am not buying it at all.  I don't see the chemistry.

I miss Liam too.  I don't care about the baby plot.  

14 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I just don't buy this Blake and Cristal2.  They just appear to have been put together and I am not buying it at all.  I don't see the chemistry.

I miss Liam too.  I don't care about the baby plot.  

I am still holding out hope for a new Cristal/Krystle/Crystal every season.  This 2.0 version is not impressing me at all.   Her involvement seems pointless.  Then again, most of Linda Evans' seasons on OriginalDynasty were rather pointless too.

I don't miss the twerpy Liam Van Munchkin at all.  Smarmy and smirky is not attractive.  The whole "sell the business to out of town dynasty" plot seems really dumb.  Maybe they thought no one would believe the current versions of Blake and Fallon actually being competent/believable as business scions.

I'm OK with Sam raising Little Blake.  And look forward to Manny the Manny.  

On 12/1/2018 at 2:58 PM, tabularasa said:

What happened? Season 1 had its flaws but was a great guilty pleasure. Season 2 is terrible. As for Liam the majority shipped Liam and Fallon so I'm surprised! I hate Crysta 2.0!

I'm glad the writers didn't cave to the loud minority and continued to stick with Cuhlane and Fallon. Cuhlane is a good dude and Fallon needs someone like him in her life, can't wait until they get married. As for the loud minority they probably don't know what a good man is and there is probably also a little racism toward Cuhlane.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Pentwater said:

Who is the white-haired woman? Why does she have Culhaine and Colby under her thumb? What's so important about the poker games? I smell several red herrings--and a room full of bad and lazy writers.

As best as I can remember -- and it was very weakly explained -- she somehow learned that Fallon's Lookalike Prostitute (FLP) had been with Liam's Uncle when he died.  Michael Culhane had gone to NYC to pay off the prostitute.  FLP was hysterical about the death and needed cash to *disappear*.  The white haired lady snapped a photo of him paying off the FLP.  She also had somehow retrieved the only signed copy of the contract from the Dead Uncle's.  White Haired Woman traded that signed contract for "one favor" from Michael.  She arranged a cover ID for him, sent him to an illegal high-stakes poker game, and facilitated the Feds storming the room. 

Michael Culhane had been startled to find Jeff Colby at the illegal game and when Jeff was lingering with a prostitute of his own, Michael initiated a fight, getting them tossed from the room only seconds before the Feds stormed the room.  Culhane had to break down and tell Jeff about the White Haired Woman when she declared that she wanted him to  host a high stakes poker game, in which she would get a big chunka cash.  Jeff agreed to host the game at Monica's new club.  He and Michael thought they had entrapped White Haired Woman, but one of her other minions destroyed the videotape/file.

So White Haired Woman has the the twosome under her thumb:  Culhane is trying to protect Fallon from being tied to the FLP and the Dead Uncle.  Jeff is trying to keep Monica from losing her club.  Both are idiotic reasons and the whole story is inept at best.

The show went through a few weeks with scads of older women being uber-bitches.  That only added to the confusion.  There was Liam Van Munchkin's mother and Dead Uncles wife.  And this White Haired Woman suddenly appeared out of nowhere.  It was mega-confusing (made even worse when White Haired Woman doffed a dark Velma-from-Scooby-Doo wig this week to pretend she was a recording label executive).  It's as if they knew they needed a counter-force for Fallon (not named Alexis) and were trying out casting options in our face.  Dead Uncle's wife was never heard from again.  And Liam's Mama turned more whacked out than devious.  So out of nowhere, White Haired Woman appeared.

I don't think we know if she is a Fed (on the take) or just a criminal.

The good news is that by hanging out with Culhame, Jeff Colby has learned how to dress.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 5

I don't  get what's going on this season. I don't understand or like NewCristal, and don't find her engaging. I got that Blake was into OGCristal, but this girl? I don't even get why she's on the screen. It also seemed like Dynasty was setting up several interesting stories, maybe making Liam's (lets face it, adoptive) family into the rich, powerful Colbys but that storyline went nowhere. As painful as it was to read Shannon Lucio called an "older woman" I agree that it seemed like they were going to do something with her character (and she'd be a far more engaging romantic partner for Blake), and then crickets. I still think Liam is Adam, but there needs to be movement on that front. No one is apparently investigating who shot Cristal. Carrington-Atlantic is gone. So...where are the stakes? CA is gone, Cristal is gone, NuCristal is a snooze, Fallon isn't hiding any secrets, the Colbys and Carringtons have made up...I'm so confused as to what the game plan is.

• Love 1

Telling Alexis that Sam found out that Little Blake/Matthew is stolen will backfire on NuCristal. Sam is so baby hungry, I think he's going to overlook the baby's origins. 

On 12/2/2018 at 10:55 PM, SanDiegoInExile said:

The good news is that by hanging out with Culhame, Jeff Colby has learned how to dress.

I couldn't believe some of the outfits they stuck Jeff in. I'm surprised he never wore the Riddler's outfit. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I couldn't believe some of the outfits they stuck Jeff in. I'm surprised he never wore the Riddler's outfit. 

Someone theorized in the season 1 thread that when the writers realized that Sam Adegoke couldn't act, they settled on having him show up in ridiculous outfits instead.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
On 11/24/2018 at 11:06 AM, SmithW6079 said:

This show is batshit crazy.

And that's precisely what makes it so much fun!! Take it from a gal who watched the original in real time when it was on back in the 80's, the campiness and crazy are perfect. 

• Love 1

I really don't like Crystal 2.0 -- the character so far and the actress. It's absolutely inexplicable that she and Blake are together, and she makes Nicolette Sheridan seem almost Shakespearean.She just seems like she's inserted in from another show altogether, not quite gelling with the cast that's there -- kind of like guest non-actor hosts on SNL in skits with the ensemble. It's kind of hard to explain, she doesn't play off of the other actors convincingly, and even her hand gestures seem like something that would have been reined in if she had gone to basic acting classes.

I'm also voting that each season reboots a new Crystal!

Even though I fast forward through most of Culhane's blackmail storyline, I do like the platinum-haired woman. She's kind of how I had hoped Alexis would be -- an older, more experienced and calculating version of Fallon. Has Fallon even been shown to have any role models?

Sammy Jo continues to slay, and I like the randomness of Manny the Manny. They even make Kirby not bug (as much) and I'm hoping for a Steven 2.0 The bond between Fallon and Steven was always really sweet whenever it was shown.

I also miss Liam, and that raw longing for Fallon which Culhane used to have.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Even though I fast forward through most of Culhane's blackmail storyline, I do like the platinum-haired woman. She's kind of how I had hoped Alexis would be -- an older, more experienced and calculating version of Fallon. Has Fallon even been shown to have any role models?

That might have been fun considering the actress is actually Grant Snow's wife, Katherine LaNasa.

• Love 3

This show is our guilty pleasure.  Yes, it's terribly written....yes, it's terribly acted....but it is plain and simply, stupid fun to watch.

I haven't watched a whole slew of shows folks tell me to watch because I just don't have the time to.....but for some odd reason, we keep watching this one and enjoying every minute of it....

....well, most minutes.

• Love 5
On 12/9/2018 at 1:10 PM, nilyank said:

That might have been fun considering the actress is actually Grant Snow's wife, Katherine LaNasa.

She was on the show Satisfaction a few years back. I thought she bore a striking resemblance to Joely Richardson from Nip/Tuck, who also probably could have made a really good Alexis. (If they had gone with that sort of characterization.)

I kind of love that Hank, in an attempt to do something nice, actually screwed over Alexis and Sam in the process.

Yes, it's terribly written....yes, it's terribly acted....but it is plain and simply, stupid fun to watch.

It reminds me a lot of Footballer's Wives, just with less man-candy. This version of Alexis reminds me a little of Tanya.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Oh how I wish it was as fun as Footballers Wives. Hell, even if Alexis was written like Tanya that would be so much fun. She certainly has the look down.

Now I loved season one. I felt it had interesting twists and a “tune in tomorrow” factor any good soap needs. Then we fast forward to season two and it feels more like a sitcom mixed with a procedural show. There is no momentum to any of the storylines and even the new promos seem more keen to showcase the latest quip than develop any stories. I love the cast and like most of the ideas for stories, but nothing goes anywhere. We still haven’t properly wrapped up the cliffhanger drama with Hank and Claudia. They make The Colby’s Carringtons but have the genius idea of selling the company and minimizing The Colby’s so the story has no impact. Not to mention Dominique should’ve been here weeks ago. Then Alexis is still poor and has absolutely no power or purpose on the show. I also don’t see the purpose in writing off Steven but keeping Sammy Jo. Of all the problems you write him off?!

I’d love an interview with the writers to understand the new vision. The show is just terrible now. I hope post-winter finale there is a reboot to remind them it’s a soap but things have been so quiet I doubt that. This is the weirdest sophomore slump I’ve ever seen. On most shows they end up introducing too many new characters and bad stories derail things. Here the problem is just that nothing is happening at all. 

Get it together nuDynasty!

• Love 3

I've just binge watched this series from the beginning and I have to say, whilst the acting by most is pretty bad, this show is so much fun (although I preferred Season One). I really liked Steven so I'm sad that he was written out. I also despise Alexis and think the actress is the worst on the show.

My wife and i were watching this last ep and were talking about the Lil' Blake "kidnapping" and how everyone in the show (except the Colbys) were wrapped up in it.  We wondered.....where does it go from here.....and then, literally 10 minutes later, the drama was over and everyone was happy again....more or less.

Then, 5 minutes later we have Jeff Colby shot on the side of the road and Steven is now missing.  Talk about lurching from one story line to the next in nanoseconds....

Dynasty is terrible but it's our guilty pleasure.  We look forward to the next episode if only to see what ridiculousness happens next.

• Love 1

Re the sudden closure of one brief story and sudden shift to a new one, I've decided that this reboot version is mainly a loosely connected series of scenes primarily intended to show off the women's clothes (mostly; there's also Sam and Jeff's outfits) and the interior decoration. Note that almost every episode begins with or at least includes the Carringtons' mansion being decorated for the upcoming holiday, or family event like a wedding or engagement party. This show is probably being largely financed by product placement.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Re the sudden closure of one brief story and sudden shift to a new one, I've decided that this reboot version is mainly a loosely connected series of scenes primarily intended to show off the women's clothes (mostly; there's also Sam and Jeff's outfits) and the interior decoration. Note that almost every episode begins with or at least includes the Carringtons' mansion being decorated for the upcoming holiday, or family event like a wedding or engagement party. This show is probably being largely financed by product placement.

As an avid HGTV watcher, I have absolutely no problem with that. I'll take this soapy goodness any way I can get it!

• Love 2