Type keyword(s) to search

Dynasty (2017) - General Discussion

Bort
  • Start Topic

On 12/22/2021 at 8:27 PM, KittenPokerCheater said:

The show apparently does bonkers big numbers overseas, so I don’t think the show is going anywhere soon.

Glad they didn’t kill Fallon off. But I’m not sure how I feel about the upcoming Crystal (III) has an evil doppelgänger storyline.

It based on the original Dynasty. On that version, Sami Jo started the ball running when her aunt Krystal was being difficult with her inheritance.

• Love 2
On 12/20/2021 at 8:25 PM, Artsda said:

I bet the Netflix deal/ratings more important.

This reminds me of the fourth season of Star Trek: Enterprise. The show had a budget of 1,9 million per episode, but Paramount (the production company) sold it to the Paramount network (UPN) for 1 million. It was a huge discount, but it gave the show exposure and enough episodes to syndicate. However, syndication performed poorly until it was finally just sold to streamers.

On 12/31/2021 at 3:03 AM, SanDiegoInExile said:

I guess the CW didn't want an XMAS episode to air in March?

The rest of Season 5 doesn't start to air until Friday March 11 !!!!

Oh well.

https://www.newsweek.com/dynasty-season-5-return-date-cw-when-dynasty-back-episode-3-1662953

That is so weird. Why even make it a Christmas episode if the rest of the season wasn't going to air anytime soon? It wasn't really important to the plot to have it be Christmas.

• Love 1
On 4/21/2020 at 12:31 AM, Maverick said:

It was the 'Moldavian Massacre' that ended Season 5, and is widely regarded as when the show jumped the shark.  The final (infamous) shot was the entire wedding party lying motionless on top of toppled furniture while only the church bells can heard.  The cliffhanger was anyone could be dead. As it turned out, only two ancillary characters (one of whom never even made it into the opening credits during his time on the show) died.

Gordon Thomson (the original Adam) has said that the true 'Jump the Shark' moment wasn't the cliffhanger but the Season 6 opener. At the time, it felt like a huge cheat. In retrospect, though, there weren't many candidates for elimination. Blake/Krystle/Alexis were the show. ABC was already prepping The Colbys for fall 1985 and they needed Jeff for that. Diahann Carroll was a hit as Dominique so she wasn't going anywhere. I suppose they could have killed off one of Steven/Adam/Amanda but all three were popular in their ways. So, of the core cast, that really only left Claudia as an expendable character.

On 4/21/2020 at 9:47 AM, DXD526 said:

Of course, this meant they were left with a scenario where a bunch of trained mercenaries sprayed a packed room with gunfire and only managed to kill two people. Pretty ridiculous. The massacre scene itself is pretty well done, it was the fact that everyone survived it that was kind of silly. The family should have lost several members and been gutted and devastated, but instead it was just inconvenienced for a couple of episodes, and then basically resumed its normal shenanigans.

The massacre scene was VERY well done. That final shot (hohoho) of all the characters lying motionless while the bells tolled was great television.

If Dynasty had been a different kind of show, they would have done exactly as you've suggested - explore the emotional aftermath for the better part of the season. There was so much story to be had, especially for Amanda ("happiest" day of her life turns into a nightmare) and for Steven (loses his second partner in the span of 4 years). But that was the road not taken. Instead we got the endless Krystle-Rita storyline and the equally endless Alexis-King Galen storyline.

Edited by Jan Spears
On 4/23/2020 at 6:36 PM, KaveDweller said:

Was Dynasty a big money maker? Were actors getting paid what they were worth? I tend to think actors are overpaid, but if a show is making a network millions they should share the wealth.

'Yes' to your first question and, except for John Forsythe, Linda Evans and Joan Collins, probably 'no' to your second question.

Dynasty finished at #1 in the ratings for the 1984-85 season at a time when the traditional ratings on the Big Three commercial networks were all-important. (Cable television was in its infancy.) Dynasty also had lucrative licensing deals for all kinds of show-related products. It was making a fortune for ABC and Aaron Spelling.

I watched the original show religiously every week. I LOVED it! While I also watched Dallas, Knots Landing and Falcon Crest, Dynasty was my favorite.

I guess that I just gave it away that I'm an older gal (60) didn't I? 

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, missbonnie said:

I watched the original show religiously every week. I LOVED it! While I also watched Dallas, Knots Landing and Falcon Crest, Dynasty was my favorite.

I guess that I just gave it away that I'm an older gal (60) didn't I? 

No. Old is when you start quoting Peyton Place (the original nighttime soap) 😉

• LOL 2

This  is  just   another  show   that      promotes,   encourages,  excuses,  justifies,  rationalizes,  glorifies  and  Romanticizes   ADULTERY/INFIDELITY ???  

The  way   the   writing  of this show  Completely  RUG SWEPT   the  entire  situation  of  Fallon CHEATING on Liam    was   Disgraceful and   Shameful.     They   practically  had  Liam   apologizing   to HER for   f***ing   some   DOUCHEBAG.

When in Truth  Fallon  was a  Vile, Disgusting, Despicable,  Reprehensible,  Gutless, Coward   for  what   she did to Liam.  

Yet   somehow she is the  "victim"  ?     LOL.      Its   so   sad    and   Lazy  and    Cliched  story   telling and  writing.  

6 hours ago, scruff said:

When in Truth  Fallon  was a  Vile, Disgusting, Despicable,  Reprehensible,  Gutless, Coward   for  what   she did to Liam.  

Yet   somehow she is the  "victim"  ?     LOL.      Its   so   sad    and   Lazy  and    Cliched  story   telling and  writing.  

Fallon can do a terrible thing to Liam and also be a victim of Eva's manipulation/stalking. Cheating is possibly one of the least terrible things she has done on this show.

• Love 1

If my DVR hadn't picked the show up, I would have completely forgotten it was back.  I'll admit that I enjoyed both Adam and Fallon assuming Alexis had escaped from prison.  The Dueling Cristal's thing remains dumb and feels like it would fall apart pretty quickly, but unlike the original storyline, this fake Cristal is apparently horny for Blake.   

• Love 2

Did Kirby say it has been over a year since she modelled? Wasn't that just last season? Which aired in the summer. Did they do a time jump I am forgetting about?

It must be nice to have so much money spending millions on a horse just to outdo an old rival is nothing. Yet somehow Fallon still hasn't moved out of her father's house.

10 hours ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

This episode was boring. Why is Liam balking at kids? Is it kids with Fallon or kids in general? And suddenly his story arc is tied in with Culhane, who has been single all this time, and we get a reference to Fallon/Culhane, which I wasn't even aware Liam knew about. I wonder...

Liam always knew about Culhane. When Fallon married a complete stranger (Liam) to screw over Jeff, she was on and off with Culhane. She was married to Liam but in love with Michael and even proposed to Michael while she was still married to Liam.

I'll admit I laughed at the real weirdness of Fake Cristal coming on to Adam, and Adam looking mostly confused in response.     

Also, Rafael de la Fuente (Sam) is actually only ten years younger than the actor playing his father. 

And is it just me, or does it feel like a lot of the characters rarely interact anymore? 

• Love 1

So a mansion the size of Carringtons doesn't have a gym? Instead they magically brought equipment for Sam and Kirby to work out into the main living room? That was beyond stupid. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

And is it just me, or does it feel like a lot of the characters rarely interact anymore? 

I think it's a budget and Covid thing.

I also think the writers don't have any idea of what they want to do with Mike, Sammy, and Kirby right now so that's why they seem to be hanging out so much without much interaction with the general A story (whatever is going on with Fallon) , the B story (whatever is going on Blake/Alexis/Adam/Cristal), or the C story (whatever is going on with Jeff/Dominique) unless they're needed.

Edited by methodwriter85
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I also think the writers don't have any idea of what they want to do with Mike, Sammy, and Kirby right now so that's why they seem to be hanging out so much without much interaction with the general A story (whatever is going on with Fallon) , the B story (whatever is going on Blake/Alexis/Adam/Cristal), or the C story (whatever is going on with Jeff/Dominique) unless they're needed.

I think this is probably it.  Too many characters, but not enough story to actually justify having all of them around. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I think this is probably it.  Too many characters, but not enough story to actually justify having all of them around. 

I also think that with Michael, Sam, and Kirby are charming/interesting characters that can easily be fit into any of the stories of the other characters when they are needed and have the advantage of being able to have been given more chances of being in scenes with other characters.

Unlike drippy, dull Liam who is connected to the hip to Fallon and has barely any relationships with other characters/stories if Fallon is not involved. Fallon fits with all the characters. Liam does not.

Edited by nilyank

That seemed like a lackluster end for the 2 Crystal plot. With the Adam love by fake Crystal, you'd think he's be involved.

The new sister is such a waste of space. No purpose to her. She can go and free budget. 

I liked Fallon complimenting Crystal 1.0 jewellery. Lol

Another crazy after Fallon. 

When we met Fallon's rival a couple weeks ago I thought she seemed to have a legit issue against Fallon, but now she just looks crazy. She was committing fraud, got caught and is blaming Fallon for those consequences. After Fallon was nice enough to offer her a job. I just hope they don't have Fallon get pregnant and then miscarry because of crazy rival's revenge plan.

I think I blinked and missed the explanation for this movie Liam is making. Shouldn't there be more than one person working on it?

Fighting Crystal's was fun.

18 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Fighting Crystal's was fun.

I appreciated the references to the multiple Cristals this show has had, as well as the ridiculousness that the change of clothes brought for the real Cristal last week was a designer outfit, complete with jewelry and touched up make up.   

• Love 2
On 3/27/2022 at 3:50 PM, WatcherUatl10 said:

I have to admit I was actually surprised when the horse trainer turned out to be Sammy's Dad!

In the original Dynasty, Rock Hudson showed up as Daniel Reece, who was eventually revealed to be father to Sammie Jo (Heather Locklear).  So kudos to the show for keeping some history in place.  He was a wealthy horse rancher the first time around.  Now he is just a talented horse whisperer.

It was Hudson's last acting role, and the 80s tabloids went bonkers when Hudson was revealed to be HIV-positive and had romantic scenes with Original Krystle Linda Evans.

Hudson only signed on for a handful of episodes and died shortly thereafter.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:12 PM, Artsda said:

The new sister is such a waste of space. No purpose to her. She can go and free budget.

I think she will become more involved when Alexis returns from Dubai with Farnsworth Dex Dexter.  And hopefully Prince Michael turns up soon, since Season Six seems iffy.

I do like the idea of a family meeting being needed to recap Cristal having been recently replaced by a double after having been kidnapped by her brother.  And I'm not entirely sure, but I view it as a self own by the writers for the characters to point out that no one had even noticed the original Cristal was gone.     

Did I forget/miss that Kirby was bisexual? She is suddenly interested in dating her female agent when we have never seen her express interest in dating other women before.

I mean, that's cool if she is, it just seems like it came out of nowhere.

9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Did I forget/miss that Kirby was bisexual? She is suddenly interested in dating her female agent when we have never seen her express interest in dating other women before.

I think with the looks that Amanda was giving her, it was to set a future triangle with her Amanda and Adam. In the original Adam and Jeff fought over Kirby but these two have buried the hatchet. Somewhat.

On 4/9/2022 at 5:15 PM, KaveDweller said:

Came out of nowhere.

• Love 1

So, I don't know if I buy that Sam's dad has cancer and what Sam saw was the dad taking his medication.... I think the dad came up with that story because he's really a drug addict. I also think that when he took the horse for a walk, he drugged her. 

4 hours ago, Fireball said:

So, I don't know if I buy that Sam's dad has cancer and what Sam saw was the dad taking his medication.... I think the dad came up with that story because he's really a drug addict. I also think that when he took the horse for a walk, he drugged her. 

In the original, he was dying and ended up leaving his fortune to Sammi Jo. In this version, he told Sam that he did have cancer but he is all better now. They hugged and Daniel had a very sad face, so I think that he is dying.

On 4/30/2022 at 1:30 PM, txhorns79 said:

I see Fallon has adopted the Sue Ellen Mischke idea of wearing a bra as a top.

I saw that too. Is this an actual fashion trend young people today are into?

Wow, they finally cancelled the show. I knew they were just waiting until the show crossed the 100 episode mark. Good for Sam Underwood? I swear to god he looks like he's nodding off in his scenes now.

It's kind of impressive it lasted as long as it did. I hope they gave the showrunner's a heads up so they can close out the show. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

It's kind of impressive it lasted as long as it did. I hope they gave the showrunner's a heads up so they can close out the show. 

Seriously.  I think for nearly every season it was last or almost last in The CW's drama ratings.  I hope they are able to give it a proper finale, and maybe even tell us whatever happened to Steven.  I'm still not clear if he is dead and Adam killed him.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Seriously.  I think for nearly every season it was last or almost last in The CW's drama ratings.  I hope they are able to give it a proper finale, and maybe even tell us whatever happened to Steven.  I'm still not clear if he is dead and Adam killed him.

Steven may not have been the sexpot that I was hoping he'd be (Come on, Not Matthew Bomer should have been a recast Steven instead of a throwaway character) but he deserved to have his story properly closed out. James looked so sad in that piano scene where it obvious he knew Steven was getting written out.

I can't believe I actually wound up following this show to the end because I bail on shows so often. In recent years I guess it's been Mad Men, Lucifer, and now Dynasty. (I'm not counting shows like the Office or Community that I binged and didn't actually watch relatively close to in real time, or ones where I skipped a ton of episodes, like Glee.)

But yeah, I'm pretty sure this was only being kept around to make sure it hit that magic 100 episodes.  Pretty sure it's also why the CW kept the (og) 90210 reboot around for 5 years despite the major drop off in interest for the show after the first season.

Congratulations to the show. They lasted a hell of a lot longer than people were expecting it to, myself included.

I think with the looks that Amanda was giving her, it was to set a future triangle with her Amanda and Adam. In the original Adam and Jeff fought over Kirby but these two have buried the hatchet. Somewhat.

Kirby has been so undefined as a character that her being bisexual doesn't feel out of character, because there is no character.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, MsTree said:

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed the show?  I will miss my Friday night guilty pleasure. 

You are not. I really liked it. It was fun and silly and entertaining and I'll miss it.

• Love 3

I'll really miss this show, it was a hoot of a good time when it was at its best. And I'll be following the career of Elizabeth Gillies, who I'd never seen before prior to this. She did a great job as Fallon. As a big fan of the original show, I never thought I'd enjoy anyone in the role as much as Pamela Sue Martin, but Ms. Gillies made it her own. Both actresses took a good character and made it even better. Brava, ladies. 

• Love 4
On 5/12/2022 at 4:28 PM, txhorns79 said:

According to TV Line, they still have six episodes to shoot.  That should give them enough time to tweak the final episode.

• Love 2