Type keyword(s) to search

Dynasty (2017) - General Discussion

Bort
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I think for me, besides Liz Gillies fabulous self, it's the fact that the plots go by so quickly and it feels more like a parody of a soap opera than an actual soap opera. LOL. 

That's basically how I look at this show- it's Soap, basically. The actors seem to be in on the joke, as well.

Another Liz Gillies fan here...and I couldn't agree more with your assessment. The show would be nothing without her.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, LakeGal said:

Amanda is boring.  I wish they had cast someone with more spunk.  She just seems so blah.

She's very dry. Which would be fine for a British dramedy or a Jane Austen adaptation (and her stoner character Odessa on the Connors), but it really does not work for a campy melodrama like Dynasty.

It's funny they bobbled Amanda twice. (Amanda on the OG show only had like a two-season run because she just wasn't that popular as a character.) 

The actress seems super-nice on her Instagram (and I liked her character Odessa on the Connors) so I feel bad for not being sold on Amanda yet. LOL. It's really not even on Eliza- she's a pretty experienced actress going by her IMDB but I don't think campy melodrama is for her. It's the same thing I thought about James MacKay as Steven. (My god, will they EVER bring back that character? Every time there's a tall gorgeous brunette guy on the show I think about how he could play Steven. Especially when Luke Cook showed up.) 

Anyway, Fallon calling Luke a frat boy was kind of funny, because everything about Liam/Adam Huber screams frat boy. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85
On 9/17/2021 at 2:48 AM, methodwriter85 said:

It's funny they bobbled Amanda twice. (Amanda on the OG show only had like a two-season run because she just wasn't that popular as a character.) 

I always thought on the original, the problem was Catherine Oxenberg's replacement.  She was not good, and rather than recast for a third time, they wrote the character out forever mid-way through the season without even a good bye scene.     

I do think there is kind of a lack of energy with the current Amanda, and I hope that pairing her up with Adam helps bring out something in her.  I did laugh when Blake asked if Adam had killed the nurse that was speaking to the reporter as a way to handle the bad press.  It was the way Blake said it, as though the expectation is that Adam is just going to murder his way out of a problem.  (Not an unfair one, but pretty amusing.)

• Love 1

I don't totally get Liam leaving. I understood why he was pissed in the last episode, but I don't get why Fallon suggesting she take a break from work made him decide he needed to leave. 

I enjoyed Amanda more in this episode. She seemed to get some personality. And I loved Fallon's edible-induced dream of Anders.

2 hours ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

Huber and I have a mutual friend, so I HAVE to ask him if he knows why he left. It seems so weird, especially considering that they seemed to have written things in a way that any of the characters could have been in the coffin that they were mourning earlier in the season (except Fallon I guess) , and that would have been far more dramatic than "I need a break", which is just wimpy. Unless, of course, Fallon discovers that he moved to Eva's!

Let us know if you find anything out.

Eva is definitely a loose string. I have to assume Liam will be back at some point to follow up. Otherwise what was the point of all that set up and having her undermining Fallon? It really seemed like they were setting up a love triangle and some affairs, which are a soap staple. I assume they will at least have Fallon hook up with her old rival while Liam is gone.

• Love 1

Blake's worried about the Carringtons being tied to an organized crime family in the press? Lol, the Carringtons are an organized crime family. They just haven't been officially recognized as such by law enforcement.

Why do I still feel like Amanda's up to something? IMO she seems too good to be true.

Heh, Blake asked Adam if he killed the loose-lipped nurse. He knew there was a greater than 50% chance that Adam indeed did murder somebody again. No half measures with Adam.

What's up with Fallon's cleavage? It gets bigger every week. 👀

Bet Dominique's husband Brady is up to something too. If they're still married he might try to snatch half her stuff in a divorce.

Bye Liam. You guys didn't even make it to your first anniversary. Meanwhile, what happened to Eva? She'd be all over this separation since it creates an opening for her.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:17 PM, WatcherUatl10 said:

I only watch this because some of it is filmed in my neighborhood, because of Adam Huber, some of the comedy, and a fondness for the original (up to a point), but they just keep making missteps. Going with a political run is silly, especially trying to sell a White male as even viable in Atlanta? He'd be lucky to get a seat on a school board!

I only watch this show when I want a break from logic and for pure entertainment value.

That being said, wasn’t Blake running for a US Senate seat for the entire State, not just Atlanta itself?

Metro Atlanta and the rest of Georgia is much more diverse in their politics than is Atlanta itself.

(I have lived in Metro Atlanta for 27 years and am a geek who follows political trends.)

Yikes Fallon really ruined her marriage and showed she's her mother's daughter. The writers had her go  running around trying to save Liam's life to cheating in 5 mins. Bad writing.

She spent more time flying to LA, wasting time on the therapist and obsessing on the "break" than she spent with Liam when he was there. No time for a dinner or awards show but now she has time for cross country treks go therapists and weekends away.

Liam's anger over Fallon over working came out of nowhere, so I guess they're saying it's because of his own career failure.

The new sister is going after Adam so much seems bizarre. She's a blah character, the psycho assistant of Fallon's would have been better choice. 

Anders leaving Kirby that info to attack Blake is so out of character. She's already using it to hurt Blake because of Colhane? Anders alive would be on Carrington/Blake's side. 

They better kick Kirby out, she's living there because of Anders. She's no family.  

• Love 2

At least these writers are putting some effort into Amanda unlike on the original show. 

The only reason Amanda had any presence in the original show was because of Catherine Oxenburg.  However, the actress playing Amanda on this show lacks charisma and presence.

• Love 1
On 9/24/2021 at 10:00 PM, Artsda said:

Yikes Fallon really ruined her marriage and showed she's her mother's daughter. The writers had her go  running around trying to save Liam's life to cheating in 5 mins. Bad writing.

She spent more time flying to LA, wasting time on the therapist and obsessing on the "break" than she spent with Liam when he was there. No time for a dinner or awards show but now she has time for cross country treks go therapists and weekends away.

Liam's anger over Fallon over working came out of nowhere, so I guess they're saying it's because of his own career failure.

I'm disappointed that the writers had Fallon cheat! I really didn't think they would go there, or if they did they would have Liam be the one who cheated.  

I don't understand why they went and had Fallon cheat.  Are we going to be subjected to Fallon trying to win Liam back? Haven't we been there done that? Or is the actor playing Liam wanting to leave? If that's the case I guess it makes they would need to break Fallon and Liam up so Fallon can have a new love interest.... 

• Love 1

So I guess next week's finale will be similar to the first episode of this season with a crazy stalker. Except it will be Liam's crazy stalker rather than Fallon's. At least they will have something in common now!

• Love 1

I think my biggest question was do CEOs typically just leave their company in the hands of a stockholder while they work on personal issues over a weekend?  I get they just wanted the character around to give Fallon a chance to cheat, but it was just so odd. 

• Useful 1
On 9/26/2021 at 4:24 PM, txhorns79 said:

I think my biggest question was do CEOs typically just leave their company in the hands of a stockholder while they work on personal issues over a weekend?  I get they just wanted the character around to give Fallon a chance to cheat, but it was just so odd. 

Glad I wasn’t the only person thinking this! But for me this show works best if I turn off the logical part of my brain.

Elizabeth Gillies/Fallon is the reason I tune in to this zany show. Her and the fashion. I liked the white blazer and pants suit Alexis was wearing.

Speaking of Alexis, the team up with Dominique’s husband is an interesting twist.  I’m curious to see how that plays out.

Just caught up on the last two episodes.

S4E20:
Is the actress who plays Kirby pregnant? She looked a lot fuller in the face to me all of a sudden. Maybe it's the vestiges of her quarantine 15.

"Atlanta is basically Hollywood East." That's hilariously absurd. Sorry, not sorry, TP.

Lol,  Adam took the cookies back. Take that, Amanda.

Eva continues to be utterly diabolical. Fallon will destroy her when she figures out what Eva has been doing to help wreck her marriage.

Seriously Fallon? Like that woo-woo marriage counselor couldn't have simply googled her to find pictures of Fallon and her real husband.

What are the odds Liam will show up and catch Fallon and Colin in flagrante on her desk, courtesy of Eva? (Well, I ended up surprised Eva missed that move but she recovered later.)

S4E21:
"Billionaire of the people"? Ugh, Dynasty writers, let's not.

Does Michael Michele have a wonky eye? Something looked off to me about her left one, especially when she was meeting with the divorce attorney.

Liam taking the blame for Fallon's habit of treating him like an afterthought made me mad. Such b.s.

Oh Fallon, it's pretty much impossible to put the cat back into the bag. You have no boundaries with Eva left to redeploy.

Of course Brady and Alexis are working together. Soap Opera 101.

Cristal isn't the power behind the throne, she is the power apparently. Egomaniac Blake has no clue that he's basically her puppet now.

And of course Kirby had another copy of Ander's dirt file on Blake. No way would she give up such a huge security blanket. Not sure why she performed that bit of theater for Culhane though.

Gosh, looks like Jeff's brain is pretty far gone. Dominique was horrified to walk in on all his bizarre scribbled plans. Adam will save him! 🙄

Eva is straight up psycho. Poor Liam.

Bet Fallon's going to end up pregnant and be in a WTD? situation between Liam and Colin.

Wow, Blake's campaign event had some terrible security. Was that 3 people with guns walking around? I'm surprised only one person got shot.

Glad Fallon and Liam aren't totally over, even though I hate that they had her cheat. Eva really ended up being crazy, but she still screwed up. It was nice seeing Liam catch Eva being manipulative though.

Do we know the person Alexis was arrested for killing? I did not recognize the name, it seemed to come out of nowhere.

Kind of a weak finale.  Fallon might have been shot, but she is the one of the few characters on this show they would never kill or otherwise write off. 

It also seems like it would be pretty easy to prove whether or not Alexis was even in her apartment when the man fell off her balcony.  Surely that building has lots of security and cameras.  Though I did appreciate the homage they did to this scene from the original show. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Bet Fallon's going to end up pregnant and be in a WTD? situation between Liam and Colin.

I thought just the opposite...that the bullet will affect her reproductive organs, based on where the blood from the gunshot was shown.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Kind of a weak finale.  Fallon might have been shot, but she is the one of the few characters on this show they would never kill or otherwise write off. 

It also seems like it would be pretty easy to prove whether or not Alexis was even in her apartment when the man fell off her balcony.  Surely that building has lots of security and cameras.  Though I did appreciate the homage they did to this scene from the original show. 

I really think it's only Fallon. Every other character I can see as being expendable in this version of Dynasty, even Blake and Alexis. It's always been that way, for better or worse. Personally, I think it should have been Blake but whatever.

Speaking of show's leaving, I'm guessing Alan Dale must have wanted to leave but struck some compromise with all these dumb little cameos to satisfy his contract. I really hope that scene with Sam was it- it really feels beneath Alan Dale. I hope Josh Schwartz has another role in mind for him, or Alan Dale plans to retire back to Australia or something.

I realized in this finale how much I actually like Third Cristal. She's grown on me over the last two seasons. She doesn't have the same "little girl playing a grown woman's game" vibe that the first two Cristals had. I still don't think she has that good of a chemistry with Blake (really, the ONLY good chemistry I've seen him have was with Laura/Sharon Lawrence) but yeah, she works for me now.

16 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Wow, Blake's campaign event had some terrible security. Was that 3 people with guns walking around? I'm surprised only one person got shot.

Glad Fallon and Liam aren't totally over, even though I hate that they had her cheat. Eva really ended up being crazy, but she still screwed up. It was nice seeing Liam catch Eva being manipulative though.

Do we know the person Alexis was arrested for killing? I did not recognize the name, it seemed to come out of nowhere.

I'm pretty sure that the person Alexis was arrested for killing was the doctor that was blackmailing Adam. I really hope Adam gets found out for it, but Alexis does deserve prison time for her past diabolical actions. I can't decide who I dislike more.

A decent finale even if it is a bit silly that Fallon was the one to get shot. Should have been Crystal.

• Love 1
On 9/26/2021 at 4:24 PM, txhorns79 said:

I don't know about that, but my company made a member of the board of directors the new CEO, then forced out the daughter of one of the company's founders (for the second time). Real life business intrigue is better than the stuff on Dynasty.

13 hours ago, MsTree said:

I thought just the opposite...that the bullet will affect her reproductive organs, based on where the blood from the gunshot was shown.

This is what I think will happen too.

Don't leave Anders!  Obviously, the actor deserves to act in higher quality shows or whatever he wants, but damn, I loved the character.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, MsTree said:

Then it would be stealing from a Revenge episode.

• Love 1

Odd that Fallon didn't do a background check on a staff person who'd be so privy to her personal life. Amanda found out about Eva's fake name fairly easily.

Of course Dua Lipa didn't appear. Wonder why they dropped her name so much for no reason? (And then had Blake call her Duo Lingo, lol.)

I loved Alexis' red dress at the campaign event but thought the red gloves were overkill.

On reddit they're spectaculating that Adam put on a red dress and blonde wig before he tossed the doctor over the railing. But if Alexis was already at the party that doesn't really work.

Poor Jeff. Did he shoot Culhane or not? I wasn't sure by Culhane's reaction whether he was hit. At such close range I would've expected his body to at least have flinched. Maybe the bullet hit Fallon instead?

Why wasn't Adam rendering medical help to Fallon? Guess they didn't want anyone blocking the shot of her dramatically sprawled out on the floor. 🙄

Now that I've seen the episode I stand by my bet on the WTD? thing. Fallon could still be pregnant but the gunshot could end or seriously compromise it. At this point a pregnancy might not even be evident yet.

48 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

On reddit they're spectaculating that Adam put on a red dress and blonde wig before he tossed the doctor over the railing. But if Alexis was already at the party that doesn't really work.

Why would the doctor stay around for Adam to change into an Alexis getup and then argue with him? I thinking it was Amanda as she was the one to stir this all up by finding the original researcher.

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, nilyank said:

Why would the doctor stay around for Adam to change into an Alexis getup and then argue with him? I thinking it was Amanda as she was the one to stir this all up by finding the original researcher.

That would answer the question of where Amanda was in this episode. She and Adam have this weird chemistry, which reminds me of Fallon's talk about how creepy Adam was.

I thought there was about a 30% chance of Dua Lipa actually showing up. But that probably won't happen if she has to go to Georgia for the scene.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, MsTree said:

What is a Revenge episode? And why is it relevant to Dynasty?

Revenge is a primetime soap that aired on ABC from 2011-2015...it's considered to have been one of the better primetime soaps, especially in the first half of the series. It follows a young woman who seeks to wreck havoc on the lives of the wealthy Grayson family, who summer at the Hamptons. Her agenda started in 1992, when her father was set up by the Grayson Corporation for treason, which wrecked her life. It starred Emily VanCamp as the vengeful woman and Madeline Stowe as the cold-as-ice Grayson family matriarch. 

Anyway, remember how there was this weird dark turn to this show in late season 2 when Adam showed up and Fallon suddenly had a murder mystery? I remain convinced that the showrunners at the time were trying to bring a darker tone to this show to make it more like Revenge but it didn't last long and by early season 3 we were back towards the light-hearted camp.

The actor who played Matthew in season 1 of this show was actually on Revenge as the main love interest.

8 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

You know, Adam wears the hell out of drag and I kind of hope he did do that.

Going back to Revenge...Josh Bowman isn't doing much right now. Maybe he could be Steven. LOL. (I know, this show is never bringing him back but I keep hoping a brunette hunk is going to show up and be Steven.)

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Revenge is a primetime soap that aired on ABC from 2011-2015...it's considered to have been one of the better primetime soaps, especially in the first half of the series. It follows a young woman who seeks to wreck havoc on the lives of the wealthy Grayson family, who summer at the Hamptons. Her agenda started in 1992, when her father was set up by the Grayson Corporation for treason, which wrecked her life. It starred Emily VanCamp as the vengeful woman and Madeline Stowe as the cold-as-ice Grayson family matriarch. 

Thanks for the explanation. I, obviously, missed this show. Too bad, because I like EVC (she is/was the nurse on The Resident, right?)

I still don't see how one show can "steal" from another. I mean it's done almost every day in daytime soaps, so why should nighttime soaps be any different??

9 hours ago, MsTree said:

Thanks for the explanation. I, obviously, missed this show. Too bad, because I like EVC (she is/was the nurse on The Resident, right?)

I still don't see how one show can "steal" from another. I mean it's done almost every day in daytime soaps, so why should nighttime soaps be any different??

Yes, EVC is/was the nurse on The Resident.

It's not really stealing, it's just not being original. But I don't think Revenge was the first show to have a woman get hurt and lose her ability to have kids either. 

On 10/3/2021 at 1:31 PM, KaveDweller said:

But I don't think Revenge was the first show to have a woman get hurt and lose her ability to have kids either. 

True.  As an example, in the original Dynasty, Alexis caused Krystle to be thrown from her horse and miscarry.  Krystle was told then she could no longer have children.  However, the show decided a couple of seasons later to have her become pregnant anyways.

• Love 1

Good finale! Loved all the homages to the original show. Alexis being walked to her cell with catcalls from the other prisoners! She was even wearing a ridiculous dress with a big shoulder bow! And someone dressing up as her to commit murder is also a throwback. In the original, to get revenge on Alexis, Neal McVane put on a cape and fright wig and pushed Mark Jennings from a balcony. She spent the first few episodes of S5 in jail. 

If Adam didn't do the deed himself, he at least knows who did. It will be interesting to see how they manage to keep him on the show, if they plan to. In the original, he did try to kill Jeff and then frame Alexis for it, and she somehow forgave him and he stayed around, so who knows? Anything is possible in Dynastyland. I hope he sticks around, I've become fond of Adam, much to my surprise. He's fun, as long as he's not pushing people into fireplaces.

It's true that Fallon getting shot isn't much of a cliffhanger. She's probably the show's only indispensable character. If it were anyone else, there would be a question as to their survival, but there's no way she's getting killed off. I hope not, I always find her amusing. I've grown to like Cristal III, too. I was into the concept of a new Crystal and a new way to spell it every season, but I really like this third incarnation. 

Has this been renewed for another season? I sure hope so. This show is a guilty pleasure through and through, and I look forward to it every week! 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Has this been renewed for another season? I sure hope so. This show is a guilty pleasure through and through, and I look forward to it every week! 

It had been renewed for a season but they have not started filming yet.

I am so thrilled that this show has managed to last as long as it has.

• Love 2

I've warmed up to Crystal 3.0 too, although most of the time I think her clothing and makeup aren't flattering. The actress probably does the best job out of all the Crystals to work off of whoever else is in the scene, so you can believe that they're really connecting and forming a bond. It's very Alan Dale-like, which is why I will miss Anders as a character.

A big shoutout to the casting for Alexis and Dominique. They are enjoyable to watch onscreen, especially together, and the divalicious makeup, hair, styling is on point. That's what's missing for Crystal. Alexis, Dominique and of course Fallon are always red-carpet/runway/editorial photo-ready, while Crystal doesn't seem to prioritize or enjoy being in the spotlight. And it helps that Alexis and Fallon look like they are RL mother/daughter.

Amanda is starting to be ok, but I think it's more the character than the actress. Her Fallon's been missing a friend/confidante, and Adam has needed a new reason to keep on his toes. Her styling is all over the place though.

ITA that they need to recast Stephen and bring him back.

I totally stan Fallon/EG, which is why I lament what the writers have been doing to her character. Way back in Season one, she was a lot savvier, smarter and badass than she is now. It's almost like they've taken all those smarts and put it into the Amanda character, and declawed Fallon as a result. She should have been able to destroy Eva without thinking twice, or know that she could.

I used to be Team Liam, but they've dumbed down his character so much that I'm wondering if next season will be about them getting back together-- only so that Fallon comes to realize "you know what? You're right, Liam--you're not deserving of me"!

On 10/5/2021 at 8:33 AM, DXD526 said:

....It's true that Fallon getting shot isn't much of a cliffhanger. She's probably the show's only indispensable character.........

Unless she takes the Anders Role and becomes a ghost to everyone during Season Five, which is likely to be its last.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:41 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

......On reddit they're spectaculating that Adam put on a red dress and blonde wig before he tossed the doctor over the railing. But if Alexis was already at the party that doesn't really work.........

This works better than Amanda becoming the second homicidal maniac Carrington child.  I'm looking forward the the flashback of Adam telling Dr Scientist Do-Gooder to hang on one moment while he makes some calls, only to reappear in one of her red gowns and ratty wigs.  Dr Scientist Do-Gooder has no clue what is about to happen, as he takes in the amazing balcony view.  He turns around, bewiildered, argues and battles loudly. And Adam kills again.

• Love 1

I found this 2018 video of Sam Underwood doing some kind of stage version of Dirty Dancing and he gets mad props for this. Boy can move! (He's not quite strong enough to do the lift as Patrick did but otherwise it's really good.) 

I love him doing the New York accent. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I found this 2018 video of Sam Underwood doing some kind of stage version of Dirty Dancing and he gets mad props for this. Boy can move! (He's not quite strong enough to do the lift as Patrick did but otherwise it's really good.) 

I love him doing the New York accent. LOL.

I want to know what this performance is where they seem to be drinking in the middle of it. He's really good.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:16 AM, SanDiegoInExile said:

Unless she takes the Anders Role and becomes a ghost to everyone during Season Five, which is likely to be its last.

I know the CW renews everything, but I am really impressed this show is making it to the 100th episode. Not that it matters that much anymore because syndication isn't what it used to be (and their steaming deal with Netflix might prevent it) but still, a ton of reboots haven't had the run this one has had like Dallas, which you know TNT probably threw way more money into it than the CW did for Dynasty.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:46 PM, snarkysnarkerson said:

That fight scene between Eva and Fallon was edited together horribly. OMG. You could totally see Fallon’s stunt double a few times in the back and forth, and I died.

OG Dynasty was infamous for the same sloppy editing on their fight scenes, so much so that The Big Gay Sketch Show did a skit parodying just how bad it got at times... (warning - language NSFW)

Edited by giovannif7
Adding NSFW language warning
  • LOL 2
On 12/17/2021 at 10:30 PM, SanDiegoInExile said:

They really must not care at all about ratings, to launch the new season in a holiday week.  

If they cared about ratings, the show would have been cancelled long ago.  I'm pretty sure it does terribly in the ratings for the CW.

17 hours ago, Artsda said:

I bet the Netflix deal/ratings more important.

I am 100% sure you are right. 

I see we have now reached the Dueling Krystle's era of this Dynasty.  Also kudos to Alexis for finding a form fitting jail jumpsuit, complete with an orange bra and heels.

• Love 1