Type keyword(s) to search

Dynasty (2017) - General Discussion

Bort
  • Start Topic

On 7/31/2021 at 4:53 PM, Quark said:

It looks like the dead person is between Liam and Crystal based on the latest episode...

I'm wondering if the Liam thing was pretend and they're going to be faking his death to. . . I don't know why? Lull the killer into a false sense of security so they can trap him/her?

• Love 2

That really sucks, Anders was one of the most entertaining characters. But really, why did he feel the need to lean over and pick up the flowers from the floor while driving. He didn't need them until he got wherever he was going.

They did manage to find a death that will impact the most people. 

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

That really sucks, Anders was one of the most entertaining characters. But really, why did he feel the need to lean over and pick up the flowers from the floor while driving. He didn't need them until he got wherever he was going.

They did manage to find a death that will impact the most people. 

He didn't need to grab the flowers but it appears that he was grabbing his chest, so I assumed that he was having a heart attack and that caused the car accident.

It is too bad that they killed off entertaining Anders and yet dull Liam is still there.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

He didn't need to grab the flowers but it appears that he was grabbing his chest, so I assumed that he was having a heart attack and that caused the car accident.

It is too bad that they killed off entertaining Anders and yet dull Liam is still there.

To me it looked like he was grabbing his ribs, which he'd injured earlier saving Fallon and Liam. They appeared to be sore because he was reaching down to the floor, which made him take his eyes off the road.

• Love 1

I was surprised, but then when I thought about it, it made sense. He's the most connected character, but at the same time I buy that Alan Dale probably wanted to move on after 4 years. I would not be surprised if Alan Dale asked to be written out the show- Anders is entertaining but he just really doesn't get to do much but dispense advice. I can see him being bored and with the show going on for at least a 5th season he didn't want to do another year. It's also possible that because this show isn't exactly a hit, he was asked to take a paycut for season 5 negotiations, and politely said no. (I always assumed Alexis 1 and Cristal 2 left for those reasons, while Cristal 1 seemed to leave more because the Powers that Be didn't like her.) 

I honestly thought it was going to be Michael because the show can't even pretend that they care about him but I guess this mob storyline will keep things going for him. It now makes total sense why they upped the Sam/Michael friendship this season while backing away from the Anders/Sam friendship.

If you really look back over season 4 you can definitely see how they were easing Anders out of the show. Kinda like looking back over season 4 of Community and how 

Spoiler

Pierce slowly becomes less and less part of the show.

Also, gee, it would have been really nice to have Steven here. You know, because he is actually Anders biological son and all that, but whatever. Every time I see a tall handsome brunette guy on this show (Fake Adam, Not Matthew Bomer, Aussie Curls) I keep thinking that they would have made a good Steven but whatever.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 8/7/2021 at 5:47 PM, Quark said:

I was not expecting Anders death, I was hoping it would be Crystal, so we could get another one next season :p.

That would have been better. She's nice and all but pales in comparison to original Cristal. I also wish they'd get a new Alexis too. She's not glamorous enough. 

Anders will be missed.  

• Love 5

No insider scoop here, but it seems pretty clear that Anders' death has been faked, likely related to his role in taking down the "powerful insider trading" scheme that allegedly killed Liam's father.  This was, after all, the mid-season cliffhanger (episode 13 of 22), which in a normal year, would be the Fall Finale.  

First they thought the Senator was the bad guy. Then it turned out to be his Chief of Staff.  I imagine that once the authorities arrived, she scowled something about "this is bigger than any of you know" or "I'm just a small fish in this ocean".

Anders is likely "dead" to most everyone, except maybe Blake and Liam (and the Feds).  He'll stay off-screen, presumed dead, for a few episodes.  His daughter will mourn while recovering. Everyone will feel lost.  Fallon will think that Liam is having an affair when he cannot explain his absences (to meet/see Anders).

There will be some type of drama from which a quick escape will be needed (hmm, think Return to Moldavia) and in will swoop Anders on a Corporate Jet, now that we have been told that he was a military pilot back in the day.

Or maybe the actor wanted out (ha)

Just a thought.....

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

No insider scoop here, but it seems pretty clear that Anders' death has been faked, likely related to his role in taking down the "powerful insider trading" scheme that allegedly killed Liam's father.  This was, after all, the mid-season cliffhanger (episode 13 of 22), which in a normal year, would be the Fall Finale.  

First they thought the Senator was the bad guy. Then it turned out to be his Chief of Staff.  I imagine that once the authorities arrived, she scowled something about "this is bigger than any of you know" or "I'm just a small fish in this ocean".

Anders is likely "dead" to most everyone, except maybe Blake and Liam (and the Feds).  He'll stay off-screen, presumed dead, for a few episodes.  His daughter will mourn while recovering. Everyone will feel lost.  Fallon will think that Liam is having an affair when he cannot explain his absences (to meet/see Anders).

There will be some type of drama from which a quick escape will be needed (hmm, think Return to Moldavia) and in will swoop Anders on a Corporate Jet, now that we have been told that he was a military pilot back in the day.

Or maybe the actor wanted out (ha)

Just a thought.....

I did think of a fake death when they didn't show Anders in the coffin. But that could just be because they showed it in the flash forward. 

If he was shot, then I think that could have more been fake dead, but the way they did it with driving alone in the dark and crashing head first with his eyes open. He seems legit dead.

Kirby should have been the one, especially after this episode and why Fallon catered to every whim of hers was silly. 

5 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Did they write Kirby out since she went to Rehab?

Maybe she'll just be out for a couple episodes?

I was going to ask if they are writing out Liam. He and Fallon got married but we've barely seen him in the past few episodes. 

Maybe the show had to cut costs and can't have all their actors in every episode.

• Love 1

Why was Fallon making up Kirby's bed if the mansion has domestic staff?

Lol, Fallon must've been hoping to distract that Paloma woman by putting her rack on display. 😮

Sam was leaving his fingerprints all over that bundle of cocaine (or whatever 🙄).

Dominique just brazened her way into the fashion show. She's hilarious.

Geez, flour mistaken for coke. How old is that trope? 😑

Fallon Shopping Network. Of course.

No way did Dominique sew on all those sequins by herself overnight. Her hands would have cramped up.

Alexis goes all Karen on the spa lady, lol.

Oh dear, there was no way Cristal was going to fit into that bodycon black dress anyway.

Bad boy Adam coming in clutch! Bet that's not the end of the saga of Leo the construction crime boss though. He's probably got a boss or a kid who will come sniffing around.

Blake is running for senator? Countdown to when Liam does an exposé on him and gets the whole Carrington family mad at him.

Definitely seems like cost cutting is going on.  Someone always sits out episodes. Jeff and Kirby, or Dom and Alexis, Liam. Killing Anders and he appears in  scene here and there.

Even the show budget is less because they used to have grand events and parties every episode now there's none. Even the weddings this season has been no guests. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Even the weddings this season has been no guests. 

To be fair, Covid has put the kibosh on large gatherings.  Also, all the covid testing/protocols eats into the budget.  

I don't understand if the sponsors (aka Benjamin Moore Paint this week) pay money for the promotion or if it's some sort of In Kind arrangement.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I don't understand if the sponsors (aka Benjamin Moore Paint this week) pay money for the promotion or if it's some sort of In Kind arrangement.

I would presume money, or something of value, has exchanged hands to get a specific brand of paint a mention in the episode.

I also laughed a little at Dominque fitting perfectly into Kristal's dress.  No way are those women the same size.

• Love 1

Camera shot of the season: Adam hears the monitor go off, instinctively grabs the paddles, leans over gangster guy and then...pauses! 😄

I hated that storyline, I hope it's over. But I fear it's not. 

• Love 1

Why did they kill Anders to have him help everyone? He could have done it alive.

Another long lost child with an.accent? Maybe Kirby is gone.

Fallon really should start putting Liam first before she loses him to sneaky assistant.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Why did they kill Anders to have him help everyone? He could have done it alive.

As anyone's conscience, it's easier to insert him in different scenarios without having to explain how he got there and why he was there at any given time.

• Love 2

I was a little underwhelmed by Amanda.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but she felt kind of bland and withdrawn in what should be played as a much more emotional situation.  Maybe she'll seem more lively as things progress.  

As a comparison, here is her introduction in the original.  Catherine Oxenberg just has a presence, and obviously, they have Alexis in a bonkers outfit which adds some campy soap opera-ness to the scene.  And that doesn't even get into the fact that the scene ends with like 20 seconds of the actresses just dramatically staring at one another like crazy people. 

Also, Kristal, you are the campaign manager of Blake's campaign and a public presence.  Even if the guy certifying Blake's signatures didn't initially recognize you, he will soon enough and just de-certify the signatures based on your late filing and the stunt you pulled.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

Also, Kristal, you are the campaign manager of Blake's campaign and a public presence.  Even if the guy certifying Blake's signatures didn't initially recognize you, he will soon enough and just de-certify the signatures based on your late filing and the stunt you pulled.   

Especially since she was standing up there when Blake made his announcement. In real life the guy would make a point of investigating all the people running after her little stunt. And Blake's announcement probably would get a lot of attention after the secret sister interruption.

I agree Amanda seems kind of dull. When they first showed her watching Adam and Fallon, I thought she was going to be shown as a total psycho out for revenge, but that wasn't really the case. Unless they are just saving that for a couple episodes?

• Love 1

These last few episodes have been a hoot, but I'm completely baffled by how Steven hasn't been mentioned once given the fact that his biological Dad has just died and a secret sibling has just shown up. It really does seem that the show has erased him from existence when there is so much gold to be mined if he ever showed back up (recast or not).

• Love 5

Loved Fallon's Burberry coat. That price tag tho. 😮

HST. A nod to Hunter S. Thompson? Heh, fear and loathing in the Carrington family.😉

Liam looks like he's getting way tired of Fallon always dismissing his needs and interests for whatever is her obsession du jour. And Eva has noticed.

How interesting that people can just walk right into Alexis' penthouse unannounced. Or at least Adam can. Maybe he knows the security code.

Eva slotting herself in to be Liam's "date" to the awards ceremony. Hmm. Fallon better wise up.

That move Cristal pulled with the late voter signatures is from an old joke. However, the joke involved a college student turning in his exam after the professor said time was up, in one of those auditorium classes that have hundreds of people.

From certain angles Amanda kind of looks like Emma Thompson to me.

I have my doubts about these family heirlooms Alexis was handing out. Bet she bought them somewhere, knowing that her kids wouldn't look too closely at them.

How interesting that people can just walk right into Alexis' penthouse unannounced.

Lol! That's lifted right out of the original Dynasty. When Alexis first showed up, she tortured Blake and Krystal for a while by living in the guest house in their yard. When she 'wore out her welcome' there, she moved into a loft that was accessed by elevator. It seemed so ridiculous; she was so private and often worried about her safety, yet seemingly anyone could easily get into her place! She'd complain about security, and it was like, live someplace where you don't have an elevator for a front door, woman! I love that they carried that bit of ridiculousness over to the reboot!

I always liked Anders alive, but I'm growing kind of fond of ghostAnders, too. 

• Useful 1

I hated Adam until this season. Since he began to show his human side, that has changed. I actually like him now. However, I really hate his hypocrsy. The fact that he is so angry and upset with his mom for trying to break up his relationship with Kirby (rightfully so) is laughable considering what he did to his mom. He shoved her head into an active fireplace. He drugged her son/his brother to keep him locked up in an asylum. He could be a bit more forgiving and less judgmental.  

And as stated above, so far Amanda's intro was blah.  

• Love 1

Adam's bringing refreshments to Eva. Uh oh.

Allergic to sunlight. Is that a real thing or a Carrington thing?

Every time I saw Sam show up in that white shirt I wondered if he'd been shot or stabbed in the chest.

Hmm, countdown to when Fallon and Collin are getting it in. They are lowkey flirting with each other.

Eva was watching Liam get disappointed by Fallon again and making a mental note to check in with him later. Because she knows odds are good Fallon won't make it to the special dinner with Liam.

Yep, Eva was right on time to see Liam at the mansion while Fallon was off with Collin. I see you, girl, moving on your boss' man.

Culhane and Jeff are conspiring against Blake's senate run. This likely won't end well--for them.

On 9/5/2021 at 6:50 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Allergic to sunlight. Is that a real thing or a Carrington thing?

It's a real thing.   I had thought it was something that causes rashes or hives, rather than sneezing, but it is real. 

While Fallon's been all about Fallon, schemes, plots and Liam did know this since he met her in one of her schemes.

Liam has every right to be annoyed, but it's not like she's acting different than normal. 

Except the Colin. She never should have married anyone if she wanted to cheat.

Shouldn't Anders have cut Kirby out if he adjusted the will a week before he died? Since he had thrown her out and she was on a binge?  Instead he gave the drug addict all the family secrets and money?

18 hours ago, Artsda said:

Shouldn't Anders have cut Kirby out if he adjusted the will a week before he died? Since he had thrown her out and she was on a binge?  Instead he gave the drug addict all the family secrets and money?

It was weird he didn't put money for her in some kind of trust, controlled by someone else, if he was supposedly worried about her out of control behavior.  And I didn't understand why he was cryptic about the identity of his estate lawyer in his first flash drive speech, other than he knows he is on a soap opera.

Perhaps the best part of the episode was Adam making a face at Amanda when she called him a weirdo.   

1 hour ago, WatcherUatl10 said:

A typical soap opera-y "You couldn't WAIT???" as he walks into the bedroom occupado by Sammy and Beto!

I think Sammy Jo and Steven divorced a season or two ago.  It was around the time the character was written out of the show. 

Colin is divorced now. Hmm. And what's up with his thin mustache? Did someone tell him he resembles Clark Gable? 🙄

Lay down a nice base of alcohol before you eat, Fallon? I thought it worked the opposite way, lol.

I actually got to the point where I was waiting for Anders to have Kirby do the Hokey Pokey. Guess he just wanted to make her work for that windfall.

Eva is diabolical.

Isn't Sam sort of related to Cristal's brother Beto, or is he kin to Cristal through her mother?

Nah, I'm with Liam. Fallon will always have something to do that she considers more important than him. She takes him for granted.

59 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Isn't Sam sort of related to Cristal's brother Beto, or is he kin to Cristal through her mother?

Sam was related to the Cristal #1 that ended up dying. She was his aunt (mom's sister). No kin go Cristal #3 who was recast for previous Cristal #2 who had met Cristal #1 before she changed her name to Cristal.

• Useful 2
On 9/10/2021 at 11:11 PM, Artsda said:

While Fallon's been all about Fallon, schemes, plots and Liam did know this since he met her in one of her schemes.

Liam has every right to be annoyed, but it's not like she's acting different than normal. 

Except the Colin. She never should have married anyone if she wanted to cheat.

Maybe Anders had given his estate lawyer instructions not to give her the drive unless she was sober? It seems doubtful a still drugged up Kirby could have found those journals in the mansion.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:48 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Fallon is the weak link in this revival.   She needs to step aside and let the pros be the stars of this.

Wow, I didn't think you could watch this show without at least being a fan of Liz Gillies/Fallon. She's been the centerpiece of the show since pretty much the pilot. I watch this show for Fallon's ridiculous outfits and my general adoration of Liz Gillies.

Beto is so hot. I am happy to see him again. 

Amanda is a lesbian (so her marrying a royal prince is out) but I'm not sure this casting works. She had a funny part as Odessa on the Connors (almost unrecognizable here) but I'm not sure she has the edginess to make this work. Amanda was a wet drip of a character the first time around- why make that same mistake? I hope she shows a spark soon. Adam doesn't like her so maybe his "Creep" radar is right.

Kirby thinking she had a long-lost relative was pretty funny.

So like did Alan Dale request out of his contract but they basically forced him to film all these little cameo spots as the conscience of the still-living characters to honor it? 

I only watch this because some of it is filmed in my neighborhood, because of Adam Huber, some of the comedy, and a fondness for the original (up to a point), but they just keep making missteps. 

I think for me, besides Liz Gillies fabulous self, it's the fact that the plots go by so quickly and it feels more like a parody of a soap opera than an actual soap opera. LOL. 

That's basically how I look at this show- it's Soap, basically. The actors seem to be in on the joke, as well.

It's hilarious to think that this show is going to run longer than the OC did. Go, Josh Schwartz. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2