Type keyword(s) to search

Dynasty (2017) - General Discussion

Bort
  • Start Topic

I will stick with Dynasty until the end (whenever that is) since it's an easy watch and I don't have much of an opinion about what it should be or could be (relative to the original Dynasty or otherwise).

That said, with the way this struggling show keeps redefining/reinventing itself, I will be living in a dream state where it's rebilled as "Dynasty: Fallon Meets World" and William Daniels comes back at 91 years old to play Fallon's mentor Mr. Feeny. They first met when Fallon was in (private) middle school, and they have somehow been in the same orbit as Fallon progressed to (private) high school, college, and adult life.  The circumstances and people around them change year-over-year, sometimes drastically, but ultimately, Mr. Feeny is always around to teach Fallon some kind of cantankerous life lesson.

Also, not really sure I'm feeling Sam Underwood as a series regular instead of part of a short-lived story arc, but this is Dynasty, so who knows how long he'll really be on the show.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Jennabelle88 said:

I was expecting Adam to do something to Alexis, maybe bang her head against the stone of the fireplace, but not that! And why do something that serious when you're at the house, with everyone home? Although it is the Carrington Manor, so there's a good possibility that no one would hear your screams, I suppose. Will she make it out alive? I mean, I know NS won't be back, but will they recast or simply kill her off? Diving headfirst into a lake of fire... She's inhaling all that fire and smoke. Can she possibly live afterward? I've never seen the original Dynasty, so I have no idea how closely this reboot may or may not stay true. And I agree with someone upthread. I don't think this is the true Adam. If it's that easy to manipulate Hank's bloodtest, it can be done again. I'm hungrily awaiting the next episode. I thoroughly enjoy this ridiculous show! 

Wow, that was hella stupid. Why didn't he just drug her tea, then throw her into the fireplace to make it look like she fell in after taking too many sleeping pills? Does Anders not go by there? I can't see how Steven or Alexis is alive, as it doesn't track with Adam's serial killer motif where he monologues before killing them.

The low budget of this show is still apparent. I wonder if they can better locations with a smaller cast budget.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Gizmo321 said:

Glad to know I wasn't the only one wondering if Adam killed Steven last week. Also happy to hear I wasn't the only one that was enjoying the true camp of this show.

I was very confused about that.  I mean, if the character was fine with killing his fake mom and shoving Alexis face first into a lit fireplace, killing Steven wouldn't be too big a stretch, but they just kind of left it open.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I was very confused about that.  I mean, if the character was fine with killing his fake mom and shoving Alexis face first into a lit fireplace, killing Steven wouldn't be too big a stretch, but they just kind of left it open.

It definitely is weird. Since they fired the actor, they had the opportunity to either get rid of Steven for good or, at least, do what they just did to Alexis and have him burn in a fire or something. It's not going to make much sense if Steven does end up coming back and looking different, since his fate was left open ended. Adam put something in Steven's IV and then...left him in his comfy Paris room. And it doesn't seem like anyone at that Paris sanitarium has let Fallon know about her brother's change in condition so I'm really confused as to what actually happened with Steven. If he's dead, then why isn't anyone calling Fallon to tell her that? If Steven is in a coma or paralyzed, why isn't Fallon being told? We know he can't be just fine, since he'd immediately call Fallon to let her know.

I just don't know why they haven't mentioned Steven's fate, especially since the last we saw of Steven, he was definitely not dead. Are they waiting for a big reveal for Fallon to find her brother dead? Because it WOULD be odd for Adam to monologue to Steven and not kill him off. I guess they could have decided that having the Carringtons find out about Steven's death while having Alexis' face burned off in the same episode was too much so they decided to delay Steven's death for a few episodes.

It's simply odd because they fired the actor, so they can't just bring him back next season. But recasting him after James Mackay's final scene doesn't make much sense either with little set-up. I guess they could, but they didn't really set up any sort of recast, unlike with Alexis. We know that Alexis is likely to be recast since NS doesn't seem to plan to come back. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

That said, with the way this struggling show keeps redefining/reinventing itself, I will be living in a dream state where it's rebilled as "Dynasty: Fallon Meets World" and William Daniels comes back at 91 years old to play Fallon's mentor Mr. Feeny.

I vote for Fallon to decide to move to Los Angeles and buy a hip apartment complex full of sexy 20-something singles and a pool. She decides to keep an apartment for herself so she can keep tabs on her tenants. In the meantime, Fallon gets into advertising and butts hers against an annoying inferior. She also finds herself falling for a short yet sexy young biker guy with piercing blue eyes.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'd watch Fallon in just about anything. Her character is one of the few reasons I'm still watching this reboot. The first season was really fun and enjoyable, but S2 has been spotty, and the recent dark turn is very unwelcome. The overall sense of lightness and good humor was what I liked about the reboot, it was fun and didn't take itself too seriously in the beginning. The dark turn has been jarring, capped off with ThoroughlyEvilAdam. Original Recipe Adam was nasty and unpleasant from the start, but he wasn't a murderous sociopath, which is what reboot Adam has been established as. Even when OR Adam was poisoning Jeff, he wasn't trying to kill him, just incapacitate him enough to get control of his shares of ColbyCo. And he was doing that as a gift for his new-found mommy, Alexis. He was just trying to be a good son! We've barely been introduced to reboot Adam, and he's already killed the woman who kidnapped and raised him, and may have killed both Steven and Alexis. OR Adam was bad, but he was still mostly fun to watch. This character is just a wacko killer. No fun. 

• Love 3

Dynasty Finds Its Dominique Deveraux

Actress Michael Michele has been cast in the iconic role and will show up near the end of this season. I like the choice, especially since I halfway expected them to go against the original casting like they did with Sam and Cristal. Reboot Dominique may have turned into a 14-year old Asian boy named Dominic.

The linked article says Dominique will be Jeff and Monica's mother, which I guess is why they were switched from Colbys to backdoor Carringtons.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I found season two to be very dull but these past three episodes completely turned things around for me! I felt like it was almost becoming a self contained sitcom with the focus being on quips, a conflict that is mostly resolved by the end of an episode and a cutesy bonding moment at the end. None of the stories really were going anywhere. Then with these past few episodes they’ve added depth to Fallon with the breakup with Liam and bonding with her family, Cristal’s intriguing backstory and of course Adam and Steven. I love the dark turn. I imagine it won’t remain that way, but Adam needed to be brought on as a villain u can take seriously. The only thing I’m really sad about is losing Nicollette as Alexis. I feel she did a good job with what she was given and now that everything gets juicy she’s gone! Still, I look forward to seeing where they take it. 

• Love 1

You don't have to spoil that. The show already had Jeff and Monica mention Dominique as being their mother.

I wasn't sure but I'll take your word for it. I recall that "Millie" was mentioned but couldn't remember it was indicated that Millie = Domininque. Not everyone is familiar with the original series history, and might not realize making Dominique the mother of Jeff and Monica is a retcon. Either way, I'm glad we're finally getting her on the canvas and wonder why it took this long.

Michael Michele has some big shoes to fill. There had never been a Black "rich bitch" character on TV (at least not on nighttime TV) when Diahann Carroll originated the role. Dominique was groundbreaking character despite being on a trashy nighttime soap opera.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

I had kind of stopped watching after crazy Claudia threw the baby off the roof (which made me laugh at the sheer craziness of it all), and maybe a coupke after that (maybe when Jeff Colby was shot when he and Culhane were fleeing the police).

I find it so disturbing to read that Alexis is shoved face first into a fire -- that's the act of a serial killer. No amount of plastic surgery "fixes" a face melted off by fire. 

3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I had kind of stopped watching after crazy Claudia threw the baby off the roof (which made me laugh at the sheer craziness of it all), and maybe a coupke after that (maybe when Jeff Colby was shot when he and Culhane were fleeing the police).

I find it so disturbing to read that Alexis is shoved face first into a fire -- that's the act of a serial killer. No amount of plastic surgery "fixes" a face melted off by fire. 

Come on, in a show that is so bad it's not even funny anymore, everything is possible. But I just ask myself, how desperate actors are, to be involved in this poorly written trash? 

Edited by skotnikov
35 minutes ago, skotnikov said:

No amount of plastic surgery "fixes" a face melted off by fire. 

I mean, it worked out pretty well for Steven Carrington on the OG show:

Before his fire:

9d5ac4f19af8593c8fa9fee03b92267c.jpg

After his fire:

9f28fd5401f44b2fa2e901373ebec4ca.jpg

I remember we all thought that they were going to have Steven 3 (on this iteration) burned at the end of season 1 and recast him there, but I feel like he got a reprieve because they fired Natahalie instead.

Maybe I was scarred by the Nazis' faces melting in "Raiders of the Lost Ark," but I find the thought of someone burning in fire to be so horrific that I can't watch anything that uses it as a deliberate plot device for a sociopath. 

• Love 1
On 3/25/2019 at 11:29 AM, AnimeMania said:

I wonder if they kicked Kirby to the curb?

I don't think they did.

Spoiler

Liz Gillies posted this to her instagram, which might or might not be a hint that they're going to try shipping Adam with Kirby:

I mean, it is a pretty cute photo regardless.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I don't think they did.

Reveal spoiler

Liz Gillies posted this to her instagram, which might or might not be a hint that they're going to try shipping Adam with Kirby:

I mean, it is a pretty cute photo regardless.

I don't know why that's spoilered, it was to be expected, it did happen in the original.

Why didn't Alexis just write on her white board "Adam pushed me in the fire."

Sam going to hook up with Crystal's brother?

All episode I was thinking "wasn't Liam a writer? Go get him back." Then he appears. Well done show,

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Why didn't Alexis just write on her white board "Adam pushed me in the fire."

I think for the same reason why in the original, Alexis kept quiet about what Adam did to Jeff. Misguided attempt to protect her son. And also to protect herself so none of the Carringtons would find out that she used her lover to faking being her long lost son.

As in the original, both Jeff and Adam don't like one another.

• Love 2

"What was it like to find out you were sleeping with your cousin?" Lol, at the end of the day, Fallon ain't nothing but trash with money.

I liked Fallon's hot pink pantsuit until I found out the blazer sells for $1,500. That much for relatively cheap-looking polyester.

The Atlantix team doctor's days were numbered as soon as Adam entered the scene. Poor guy didn't know what hit him.

Did Fallon have that preview book printed in 36pt. font? Only eight chapters and it looked like 300 pages already.

Of course Beto turned out to be gay. And of course he was indiscreet enough to get caught hooking up in the mansion by Sam. I'm just surprised he and Sam didn't get it on. What was the point of him showing up?

Blake is such a fool. It's just a matter of time until evil Adam puts him in a permanent coma or something. Probably not until Adam secures a total power of attorney though.

And there's Liam again. How long is this tease going to go on?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1

It sure must be nice to be Fallon....rich enough to buy the company that rejected her so she could fire someone?

And did Blake tell Fallon she wasn't qualified to run his company, when he is willing to give Adam (who just got a medical license back) a job as team doctor? Did Adam even finish his residency before he lost his license?

17 hours ago, nilyank said:

I think for the same reason why in the original, Alexis kept quiet about what Adam did to Jeff. Misguided attempt to protect her son. And also to protect herself so none of the Carringtons would find out that she used her lover to faking being her long lost son.

I think it was all to protect herself. Adam came out and said he would reveal what she did if she talked. 

• Love 2
On 3/29/2019 at 10:41 PM, nilyank said:

As in the original, both Jeff and Adam don't like one another.

I like how they twisted it though- in the OG version, Jeff Colby was basically the son that Blake wished he had, and Christian Grey Adam was jealous of that. In this version, Jeff Colby is loyal to Alexis and Joe Goldberg Adam can't allow that because he needs for Alexis to be isolated and controlled by him. I kind of love that this show actually remembered that Alexis cultivated a relationship with Jeff. Now that we know that Jeff is not very fond of his mother Dominique, his loyalty to Alexis makes even more sense.

Sam Underwood posted this picture of a slice of the cake on Instagram:

It's kind of hysterical, honestly.

• Love 1

LOL and wow at the reveal. I wonder how long she'd have Fallon's face. 

Fallon showed no care at all about Kirby/Culhane but pointed out she could not date Liam. Seems like she does know what she wants now.  Hopefully Liam sticks around.

• Love 1

Cuhlane and Kirby were rushed and awkward. So let me get this strait Cuhlane basically gets downgraded to dating Fallon's sidekick and Liam the rich white dude comes back into the picture to get with Fallon? Why am I not surprised by this turn of events.

3 hours ago, Artsda said:

LOL and wow at the reveal. I wonder how long she'd have Fallon's face. 

Fallon showed no care at all about Kirby/Culhane but pointed out she could not date Liam. Seems like she does know what she wants now.  Hopefully Liam sticks around.

She cared when she saw them before so i'm sure she will care again at some point.

• Love 1

Is there a place that recaps episodes?  Because I lost interest in watching, but I kind of want to know what's going on. 

But let me understand this: Alexis went from looking like 50-something Nicollette Sheridan to looking like 20-something Elizabeth Gilles through magical TV plastic surgery?

1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

How long until Alexis/Fallon sleeps with Liam and Real Fallon can't forgive him for it?  

So I feel stupid I didn't realize Alexis's new face was Fallow's face. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.  But I really hope the show doesn't go the route of Alexis sleeping with Liam.

I did like that Fallow was only mad that Kirby didn't tell her about Cuhlane.

• Love 3

Wait, what? So I guess this definitely means the show really doesn't care about setting up Alexis with Blake. Because eww if the show tries to go there. Just eww.

This did kind of remind me of something that would have happened on the Royals. (R.I.P. you trashy show.) I wonder if this is a permanent thing, or just until they cast someone else? I can see Fallon going absolutely nuts and Alexis eventually deciding to go with another face. I also have another idea now- Elaine Hendrix? She actually kind of resembles Liz and she does give good bitchface.

Hell, I think Liz is going to have absolute fun with this. I really does feel like this show is mostly just about Liz Gillies sashaying around in crazy outfits and saying crazy things.

I also kind of like how the show brought in the OG plot about Adam poisoning Jeff with toxic paint.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Wait, what? So I guess this definitely means the show really doesn't care about setting up Alexis with Blake. Because eww if the show tries to go there. Just eww.

This did kind of remind me of something that would have happened on the Royals. (R.I.P. you trashy show.) I wonder if this is a permanent thing, or just until they cast someone else? I can see Fallon going absolutely nuts and Alexis eventually deciding to go with another face. I also have another idea now- Elaine Hendrix? She actually kind of resembles Liz and she does give good bitchface.

Hell, I think Liz is going to have absolute fun with this. I really does feel like this show is mostly just about Liz Gillies sashaying around in crazy outfits and saying crazy things.

I also kind of like how the show brought in the OG plot about Adam poisoning Jeff with toxic paint.

Elaine Hendrix is on "Proven Innocent" until the show presumably gets cancelled.

15 hours ago, Fireball said:

So I feel stupid I didn't realize Alexis's new face was Fallow's face. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention. 

I completely didn't recognise Fallon's face in that reveal! Just assumed that Adam had made her look like his other mother or something based on the way the scene was obviously expecting us to recognise something about the new Alexis. Going to have to go back and check again now!

Either way I'm really tired of Alexis so hopefully the new face version won't be quite as annoying at least.

• Love 1

Darn.  I think she could have worked. Oh, well. She and Liz actually did a pretty cute Parent Trap scene recreation.

22 minutes ago, rhiamon said:

I completely didn't recognise Fallon's face in that reveal! Just assumed that Adam had made her look like his other mother or something based on the way the scene was obviously expecting us to recognise something about the new Alexis. Going to have to go back and check again now!

I didn't, either. I think they put a latex mask on her.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:35 PM, LakeGal said:

I guess the show figured out a way to save money in casting the new Alexis.  Just use an actress already on the show.  

EG deserves a raise for it. I just hope she'll find a better show at some point.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:31 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I really does feel like this show is mostly just about Liz Gillies sashaying around in crazy outfits and saying crazy things.

Seriously.  If they put half as much effort into the storylines as they do having Liz Gillies make quips, they'd have a fairly decent show. 

• Love 2

Lmao. After reading these comments, I feel so dumb about the "reveal." I was all like, "Wow! They found someone who resembles Fallon!" Lol. And what was up with the bitch's two strands of hair? I'm assuming it "burned in the fire." But if her face had time to heal, wouldn't her hair have time to grow? I'm getting frustrated with this show tbh.

• Love 1

Something tells me that Liz Gillies has been imitating Nicollette Sheridan from the moment Nicollette had arrived on set. It must have gotten around production that you couldn't tell their voices apart.

It seems like they told everybody on the TV show (except Liz Gillies) not to be sexy, Nobody is taking off their clothes or hopping into bed with other people. This is not normal for a Late Night Soap Opera.

• Love 1

How is it that Fallon and Liam still have not slept together. It stuff like that keeps me thinking that he really is Adam.

Speaking of Adam, he really just enjoys stirring things up.

In regards to making Jeff go cuckoo on toxic paint, what did he exactly place into that paint. It was only a couple of drops into one paint can. To paint that entire office, they would have used more than on can of paint. 

Also why was Michael getting any of the side effects when he was in the office with Jeff as they went over their plans to get Blake.

Not going to lie, I thought that Blake was going to blow up his own jet to get rid of Crystal's dad. 

• Love 1

Yes, for a nighttime soap, there is very little sex. 

I'm glad that Liam is still around, but I hope he's not the real Adam.  I am sick of the Where is Adam storyline.  Let this current uber creepy Adam be the one, so that he can be the bad seed (who hopefully dies in the season finale).

I was so sure the last scene of that episode was going to be Blake's plane blowing up. I still can't believe it wasn't.

EG has Alexis' mannerisms nailed perfectly! I wonder if NS knew she was being studied? 

8 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I was so sure the last scene of that episode was going to be Blake's plane blowing up. I still can't believe it wasn't.

EG has Alexis' mannerisms nailed perfectly! I wonder if NS knew she was being studied? 

This new Alexis storyline is simply ridiculous.  They have turned her character into a wimpy, whiny mess.  I hope a new actress is hired eventually.  

• Love 2