Type keyword(s) to search

Tyrant in the Media

Any reviews of season 2 yet? Doesn't seem to be getting as much promotion as in season 1.

With all that's happening in the ME, maybe the producers could have tied some of the story lines to real events.

Any reviews of season 2 yet? Doesn't seem to be getting as much promotion as in season 1.

With all that's happening in the ME, maybe the producers could have tied some of the story lines to real events.

There's been a few (may contain spoilers):

http://www.avclub.com/review/fxs-middle-east-drama-tyrant-remains-unstable-its--220857

http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/tyrant-season-2-review-fx-1201516001/

http://deadline.com/2015/06/tyrant-season-2-review-fx-ashraf-barhom-1201445662/

'Tyrant' actress Moran Atias has an intense ambition to succeed (L.A. Times Interview)

. . . Less than a week after "Third Person" opened, Atias was in make-believe Abbudin, playing Leila, the wife of Jamal Al-Fayeed, a pathological Middle East president and target of a coup led by his pediatrician brother. "Tyrant," which began its second season in June, is a family Rorschach test that taps into the real-life intrigue and politics of the Arab Spring revolutions that brought down Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and Libyan dictator Moammar Kadafi.

The ensemble cast, including Adam Rayner, was caught up in the region's dangerous fault lines when filming of Season 1's final episodes had to be moved from Israel to Turkey after the outbreak of the Gaza war. Atias said the excitement of returning home to work was overshadowed by her country's frequent unrest; when she was a child her mother once put her and her brother on different school buses to better the odds that at least one would survive a terrorist bombing.

"Tyrant," she said, was a "rare opportunity to bring to the screen real dialogue" about the Middle East. The cast and crew of Jews and Muslims were a microcosm of wider regional suspicions. "I wanted to understand how they feel living and working in Israel," she said. "It was very hard to hear such resentment and hate.... They were left with this desperation" at reviling Israel but also condemning the Palestinian leadership of Hamas and Fatah.

Muslims and Jews have been "neighbors such a long time," she said. "I'm not saying we're successful in getting along. It makes me feel even more disappointed. It's like how you don't get along with your own family. You know them better than anyone else yet it's so personal."

"Tyrant's" first season, however, preferred caricature to nuance, skimming but not unraveling the region's fascinating narratives and neuroses. Reviewers have been more positive about the second season. Variety columnist Brian Lowry noted the new episodes reflect a "fairly impressive turnaround, significantly diminishing, if not wholly expunging, much of the stupidity, while echoing real-life events in provocative ways."

Atias studied the biographies of Arab first ladies, including Queen Rania of Jordan, to shape Leila into a steely operator, a Lady Macbeth in heels who is keenly aware of her vulnerabilities. As she did with Monika in "Third Person," Atias, with her cultural sensibilities and skill with accents, brings mystery and grit to characters that are at once erotic and inured to the ways of the world . . .

I saw "Third Person" a few weeks ago and didn't recognize her at all.

Plus, The Americans is getting more critical love (if not awards), so I think FX will be more lenient on that as long as it keeps giving them good press.

Still, I can see Tyrant going either way.  It's certainly not at The Bridge-level bad yet (I really liked that show, but it really was at the point where it was totally understandable), and it's not like the summer has been a huge success for FX (I heard The Strain took a hit too), so it's possible FX will give it another shot.  I thought S2 was an improvement, so I'd be back, although the possibility of no Ashraf Barhom is kind of lame.  Still, worse comes to worse, there will always be Moran Atias, Sibylla Deen, and maybe Melia Kreiling to stare at (because apparently Abuddin is full of a bunch of good-looking people.)

• Love 1

Sex and the City Hunk Chris Noth Joins FX's Tyrant
http://www.tvinsider.com/article/79436/sex-and-the-city-chris-noth-joins-fx-tyrant/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=TVGM

Chris Noth, who played Sarah Jessica Parker's love interest on Sex and the City, has been cast on the third season of Tyrant, FX announced Monday. He'll appear as American General William Cogswell, who was summarily transferred out of Abbudin. In the new season, he'll return to that country when Barry (Adam Rayner) assumes the provisional presidency. Though he'll first offer support, Cogswell will rise in power as he rekindles a romantic past with Leila (Moran Atias).

Edited by Artsda

Without Jamal, I don't know that this show will be on my "Must See" list anymore. He carried the show. The actor made the most outlandish scenarios believable (as does Motan Atias) I can't imagine how the show would be improved by his absence

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1

Never heard anywhere that Jamal won't be back.

Yes he's shot but surely the producers and FX must know he was one of the main attractions of the show, if not the main attraction.

Never heard anywhere that Jamal won't be back.

Yes he's shot but surely the producers and FX must know he was one of the main attractions of the show, if not the main attraction.

You would think so.. but if they are adding Chris Noth, and Barry is going to be provisional president, my guess is that Jamal wont' have a big role. At the least, unless they are going to pretend a lot of time has past, he would be unconscious in the hospital for awhile.

'Tyrant' canceled by FX

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/07/tyrant-canceled-fx

http://deadline.com/2016/09/fx-cancels-tyrant-after-three-seasons-last-episode-airs-tonight-1201814556/

After three seasons, the Tyrant saga of the ruling Al-Fayeed family of the fictional Abuddin is coming to an end – both tonight and forever. FX announced today that the Gideon Raff created and Howard Gordon and Craig Wright developed Middle East set drama will end its run with Wednesday’s Season 3 finale.

“It’s very difficult to find common ground with other people whose stories we do not know or understand,” said FX boss John Landgraf today in a statement. “The creators of Tyrant have done their utmost over three seasons to tell American audiences a tiny fraction of the many gripping, human stories coursing through the Middle East today. We want to thank Howard Gordon, Chris Keyser and their talented team of collaborators, including all the writers, directors, cast and crew, as well as our studio partners at Fox 21 Television Studios, for taking on Tyrant’s tremendously ambitious story with such profound dedication and respect.”

TVline is saying it's a satisfying ending and they're looking for a new home.

http://tvline.com/2016/09/07/tyrant-cancelled-season-4-fx/

Fox 21 Television Studios President Bert Salke, meanwhile, left the door slightly open for a Season 4, somewhere.

“We feel the show is a gem and we’d love to find a way to keep it in production. That said, we want to be realistic about its prospects,” Salke said in a statement. “So for its loyal audience, tonight’s episode will be a satisfying end should the series not find another home, but also provides interesting possibilities should we be able to continue on some other platform.”

I've been recording the entire season and was planning on starting it this weekend since I could now do so without waiting. Think it's still worth it?  I thought the first 2 seasons had ok moments, generally with Jamal and his side of things, less so with whiny Molly and her new boyfriend last year. What do you think?

22 hours ago, Artsda said:

'Tyrant' canceled by FX

I guess we finally learned who the Tyrant is.

Not an authoritarian pediatrician from Pasadena, the Hathaway Man as religious fundamentalist, or, more broadly, the US foreign policy elite.

It was the ratings.