Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This entire family is beautiful inside and out. I especially love how great they all looked at the reveal. It just goes to show you don’t have to be a size 0 to be gorgeous. Every single one had such a great fashion sense. I loved Chitoka’s dress, and Naomi was stunning in that elegant black lacy top. Not a bedsheet or Croc was sighted amongst them.

• Love 15

I want there to be a second season! I am rooting for this family. 

Naomi’s boyfriend was an insecure little punk- she can do better, good riddance to him. 

Drew has a LOT of excess skin, his weight gain was incredibly odd it makes you wonder if there was a hormonal issue or something. Skin removal surgery will greatly improve his quality of life. After 3yrs housebound Chiotka is living life again- that’s awesome. 

Id rather watch this family than My 600 pound life. 

• Love 15

Did anybody else notice that Dr Proctor's teeth looked odd, during one of his interviews and when he was talking to Chitoka.  Maybe he had braces on.  His teeth look kind of black.  Then at the reveal, they looked different (better).  He definitely does not have pearly whites.  I think maybe he is having some work done. I still have a little crush on him.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I want there to be a second season! I am rooting for this family. 

Naomi’s boyfriend was an insecure little punk- she can do better, good riddance to him. 

Drew has a LOT of excess skin, his weight gain was incredibly odd it makes you wonder if there was a hormonal issue or something. Skin removal surgery will greatly improve his quality of life. After 3yrs housebound Chiotka is living life again- that’s awesome. 

Id rather watch this family than My 600 pound life. 

Agreed on all counts!

Chitoka's dress was to die for. Drew looked great! He has such a nice smile and gentle demeanor. I hope he finds and nice lady and has some kids. I can just see him with a bunch of little kids climbing all over him. Naomi is gorgeous. And yeah, her ex bf is a dink. Her date, though? Rowr. You go girl.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Agreed on all counts!

Chitoka's dress was to die for. Drew looked great! He has such a nice smile and gentle demeanor. I hope he finds and nice lady and has some kids. I can just see him with a bunch of little kids climbing all over him. Naomi is gorgeous. And yeah, her ex bf is a dink. Her date, though? Rowr. You go girl.

I so agree with you about Chitoka’s dress. Most designers dress plus sized women in basically shapeless sacks. Her dress had a great silhouette without being too tight, and was shaped to dip in where she was the smallest, giving her a figure instead of making her hide under layers and layers of fabric. I would love to find that dress for myself.

Edited by gardendiva
Added two words at the end for clarity
  • Love 4

I would love to see how Dr. Proctor would handle a patient like Steven Assanti from 600lb life. 

The doctor is very gentle way in the way he speaks, so it would be so interesting to see how he would deal with the 600lb+ patients. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Drew looked great! And I'm wondering if during his talking head segments the producers padded him up because his stomach looked like a very smooth mattress on every episode including the later ones where it should have been more, for lack of a better word, flaccid from the weight loss. 

Was this after he had skin surgery?  He did have it, didn't he?  Or was the cosmetic surgeon just planning it.  
Or it could have been spandex.

4 hours ago, Boofish said:

There is a follow-up series on the TLC to go app

I hate that this was so rushed, and yet we still spend too much time on Whitney Thore, who's run out of story lines.
I'd like a next season, and maybe Stella will join the club.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

Was this after he had skin surgery?  He did have it, didn't he?  Or was the cosmetic surgeon just planning it.  
Or it could have been spandex.

I hate that this was so rushed, and yet we still spend too much time on Whitney Thore, who's run out of story lines.
I'd like a next season, and maybe Stella will join the club.

This is the whole entire truth!!!!

• Love 6

I found a 5-minute TLC video on-line (not on the app) about Chitoka that was titled with "Follow-up", but it wasn't follow-up in the way that we mean it....it was more like "summary" about her experience and it only showed a close-up of her face, so nothing about the "how is she doing now?" that inquiring minds want to know about! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, auntjess said:

I think they were just planning it. Hopefully, that'll be featured in the second season (if there is one). I have hope for it though - this episode was billed as a season finale and not a series finale so there's that. 

1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

I found a 5-minute TLC video on-line (not on the app) about Chitoka that was titled with "Follow-up", but it wasn't follow-up in the way that we mean it....it was more like "summary" about her experience

Yeah, I watched Drew's and there wasn't anything new on there at all either. Just a rehash of last night's highlights. 

I think this was all filmed over the course of last year, so they have a lot more to go before a true 'big reveal'. I'd love to see an update on them, especially Drew after his skin surgery, & Chitoka as she loses.  If they follow their program it should go quickly for them.

It didn't seem like they were coming back for another season. Maybe a different family? How many families can they find like this?

• Love 2
20 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I think this was all filmed over the course of last year,

Chitoka's mother's tombstone had her death date in April 2017.
I can't remember who got which surgery, but I thought Drew got the sleeve.
I watched the supersized episode, and the bonus scenes were  of Drew shopping at a place called Ross's- and he was down to a size 8 (8x?) in teeshirt, and also got pants and belt.
There was Chitoka at home, and how she was doing.
It may be  TLC thing, to film all the talking head shots at one time, I know Whitney Thore's been wearing the same clothes in them all season, but it bothers me in this show, because these people have been losing weight, and changing, yet we always see Chitoka sitting on her bed, doing the splits.

• Love 7

Fingers and toes crossed for a S2 or at least a nice reunion episode in, say, six months or more ... I confess I have my doubts about a follow-up season simply because of the reasons so many of us are here talking about how much we love this family and are rooting for them ... by the very nature of a reality show, I bet they drop it because of the lack of conflict (Naomi's boyfriend breaking up with her was about as "dramatic" as it got) ... 

Hoping SOMEONE will take a chance on a second season where we can happily watch this awesome family pursue their lives as they're getting healthier, more mobile, and getting out there in the world (I actually applauded completely non-ironically or sarcastically when Chitoka took those first steps outside). 

I may have missed it but does anyone know anything more about the family members ... what they do for a living, professionally, etc.? There must be some storylines here that can make up a second season ... as someone mentioned before, they find enough to keep the unbearable Whitney on TV and I can't even watch her, whereas I can't get enough of the Stewarts!

Rooting for Drew to get the skin removal surgery and keep going to reach his goal weight ... he is so handsome and kind .and patient .. always trying to help others. I would be surprised if he doesn't work in some field where he's a "giver" (teaching, coaching, etc.). 

• Love 8

One thing going for it, may be  that it's in Atlanta, and you see that Georgia peach logo on a lot of shows, some done elsewhere.
You'd think if the state is putting money into the production, they'd like to feature Georgia people and especially Georgia medical facilities.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Hoping SOMEONE will take a chance on a second season where we can happily watch this awesome family pursue their lives as they're getting healthier, more mobile, and getting out there in the world (I actually applauded completely non-ironically or sarcastically when Chitoka took those first steps outside). 

Me too!

• Love 4

I too have gotten quite attached to this family and hope there will be a season 2. I sometimes like a break from the train wrecks when watching reality tv. I would love to see Drew after his skin removal surgery, and I just know there will be no stopping Chitoka now that she has re entered the world. And lovely Naomi deserves someone who is inspired by her, not threatened by her metamorphosis.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, gardendiva said:

I too have gotten quite attached to this family and hope there will be a season 2. I sometimes like a break from the train wrecks when watching reality tv. I would love to see Drew after his skin removal surgery, and I just know there will be no stopping Chitoka now that she has re entered the world. And lovely Naomi deserves someone who is inspired by her, not threatened by her metamorphosis.

Totally agree! I also think their family journey could be very inspiring to a lot of other people. It’s not unusual for a family or group of close friends to end up with a common problem. Where other reality programs highlight the family dysfunction, this program showed what can be accomplished when loved ones stick together and support each other. Sure hope they are brought back for another season. I already miss them!! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kewpiedolls said:

Drew looked good at the reveal party. His mom is so sweet. 

I'd watch a second season even with a different family so I can see more of Hot Doctor.

I need more of Hot Doctor, too. He should take over 600lb life. 

• Love 5

I've noticed some folks in the final episode thread wondering how the family is doing now, and I found some of their facebook pages if you want to have a peek. Most of the newer pics are shoulders and up, so maybe they're getting another season and want to keep the reveal kind of hidden, but you can still see the transformations.

Chitoka

Naomi

Mama Beverly

• Love 4

Maybe I've become jaded from Whitney's constant excuse-making and the whiners on My 600-lb. Life, but I wasn't optimistic about this family at the beginning of the series, and wow, has my opinion changed. What lovely, positive people. They are all delightful, and seeing how hard they've all worked is really inspiring. I'd really like to see more about them in the future.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

Maybe I've become jaded from Whitney's constant excuse-making and the whiners on My 600-lb. Life, but I wasn't optimistic about this family at the beginning of the series, and wow, has my opinion changed. What lovely, positive people. They are all delightful, and seeing how hard they've all worked is really inspiring. I'd really like to see more about them in the future.

I was cynical as well, expecting the usual, as we’ve seen on the other shows you mentioned. This family is an inspiration! They are enabling positive change. I love it.

• Love 2

hat tip to @auntjess for this since I thought the show was over! This special airs at 10:00 PM ET on March 8.

A look at the last days of Naomi's, Drew's and Chitoka's weight loss journeys is filled with stunning reveals, big life changes and updates since the series ended.

I usually watch on my DVR, so I spend way too much time coordinating programs to get all of mine, and my sister's scheduled.
I'm hoping it truly is a new program, rather than a redated rehash.

On 2/26/2018 at 5:52 PM, Arynm said:

My sister works at Piedmont Hospital, I am going to have to ask her if she saw any of this or is she knows Dr. Proctor. They seem  like such a nice family I would watch another season.

Maybe you can get a message to them that they may have set a PTV/TWoP record for being the most beloved "reality show" family evah.

• Love 4
On 2/8/2018 at 12:10 PM, gardendiva said:

Oh gosh...I am so embarrassed now. I do remember him saying the one pant leg thing in a previous episode, but the thing he said last night right away made me think he was referring to his “package”, LOL! I should have rewound and rewatched that part but I was knitting at the same time. Oops! 

Don't be embarrassed! Your post gave me the heartiest laugh I've had in ages!

• Love 1

I am really jealous/impressed with Chitoka's "side splits" sitting position when she is in bed.  I can't get my legs splayed to the sides nearly that far.  Well, not both legs at once like her.

• Love 2

This is the first time I've watched this, and it's amazing.   Everyone on it is likeable, and in spite of their situations aren't blaming the world for everything that needs to change in their life.    I'm rooting for all of them.   

I was amazed at the brother driving down the road, with a stack of pizza boxes on the back seat, and eating going down the road while he's driving.  Ordering 10 pizzas is astonishing.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I didn't see this the first time around, and I'm hoping there's an update about these people.    I like all of them, except when the man was cheating at the bowling alley, and trying to tempt his cousin(?) to cheat too.    I actually applauded when she walked out.       I know Dr. Proctor was probably making the house call for the show, but he was compassionate to Chokota (?), and was still honest with her about having to become mobile again.      

• Love 1

I really like this family.   The seem like genuinely nice, caring people.  And I've only watched the first two episodes (I missed this the first time around), but they all seem to keep everything covered, unlike the poundticipants on My 600 lb Life.

I just read on starcasm (not a great source, but I hope it's true) that the family is going to be on for a second season.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Cousins Casey, Amanda, Amy and Ed are morbidly obese. When Amanda decides to have bariatric surgery, it forces the rest of the family to confront their harmful lifestyles and consider doing the same.

The show is back with a new family.  The first episode is available for preview on the TLC site.  This thread is spoiler tagged to allow for posters to comment on the show if they watch it online prior to the official broadcast TV showing.

If you haven't watched yet, read beyond this post at your own risk.

Original air data 2019.01.02 

The rest of the family saw their own responsibility for their situation.  Casey is looking at it being everyone's fault but his own.  Dude spends all day sitting in bed naked playing video games with breaks to eat/shovel and wash (with assistance) in a trough.  He is the human equivalent of the trope of the internet troll.  I have a hard time seeing him turning his life around.  

• Love 21

Well thank goodness he put on pants, to bathe. At least the neighbors are spared the nakedness.

I can see the other obese family members being somewhat successful, but the fact that he blames his father for his weight makes me have no hope for him, surgery or not.

• Love 14

They're showing previews on TLC today, and Family by the Ton is the new family, but apparently they're also having a season 2 of the one's from last season.    I'm hoping this season is as uplifting as last season was.      I love it when people succeed. 

Honestly, the people on this show, and the others always claim there was some big event, and a specific enabler that made them obese, and gaining a whole lot.   Then you see pictures from years before that, and they were always heavy.    Denial runs strong.       I just hoping that no matter how sad the beginning, that everyone embraces the 'journey' (sorry, I couldn't resist), does the diet, gets surgery, and comes out healthy and happy on the other side.       I hope the people on this show realize that people who don't even know them are pulling for them, and want them to succeed.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

If anyone is inclined, you are free to use this thread to live chat during the TLC premier of the show this evening at 10:00 ET.