Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Hellga said:

After Maja, it's so refreshing to hear Naomi putting her mother's loss ahead of her own!

Also, I love how apparent it is that they all love each other very much. Love it how Chitoka said that the issues regarding weight loss are within her when Drew asked what he could do to help. Take that Maja!

• Love 8
Just now, cmpbl said:

Was that Captain D's?

What's Captain D's and do I really want to know?

Just now, Hellga said:

I don't think they have weighed Shavonne yet.  She was off the 660 lb scale in her doctor's office.

Thanks Hellga. That's sad. I think I heard her mention being 800 pounds during her discussion with Drew just now though.

1 minute ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Also, I love how apparent it is that they all love each other very much. Love it how Chitoka said that the issues regarding weight loss are within her when Drew asked what he could do to help. Take that Maja!

Yes, that's probably what makes this family so likeable - they really are there for each other and they do try to stay on track.  

I personally find it a lot easier to kick other people's lazy butts than my own!  So I would find it easier to keep someone on track in exchange for them doing the same for me. 

Yes, Naomi, you wear actual real clothes that fit, that's why you know when you have lost or gained, unlike the majority on the show who wear small tents as clothes and then can't tell if they have lost or gained!

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Thanks Hellga. That's sad. I think I heard her mention being 800 pounds during her discussion with Drew just now though.

I was distracted by a friend texting - did Shavonne speak with Drew?  I only caught him taking Chitoka for a ride.

Naomi really knows how to do her make-up in addition to being naturally pretty.  I am a bit envious. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, cmpbl said:

It's a fast food fish restaurant in the south.logo_hut_no_tag-1486485504-4885.thumb.jpg.3cf11313fd2088b7e8eb155d0f8d6de6.jpg

Oh no, I went online to check out their menu and, dammit, that food looked good to me! True confession: I even typed in my zip code to see if there was one near me, half hoping there was and half hoping there wasn't, and there aren't any here. Whew, I could see me doing major damage with that menu!

15 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I was distracted by a friend texting - did Shavonne speak with Drew?  I only caught him taking Chitoka for a ride.

Naomi really knows how to do her make-up in addition to being naturally pretty.  I am a bit envious. 

I thought I heard her say that as they were walking to his car. I love the way Naomi does her makeup too.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, cmpbl said:

I would think surgery to remove some that fat around her legs would help tremendously. 

She has to lose A LOT before that even becomes an option.  It's still all fat in there.  But they look a lot better already than when she was bedbound.  They barely looked human, like someone stuck tiny little feet onto Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Oh no, I went online to check out their menu and, dammit, that food looked good to me! True confession: I even typed in my zip code to see if there was one near me, half hoping there was and half hoping there wasn't, and there aren't any here. Whew, I could see me doing major damage with that menu!

I thought I heard her say that as they were walking to his car. I love the way Naomi does her makeup too.

I'm in Tennessee and we have them here and it is good.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

9 hours ago, Hellga said:

Yes, that's probably what makes this family so likeable - they really are there for each other and they do try to stay on track.  

I just have to chime in with this. I was tired and didn't watch the whole episode last night, but I watched a lot of the last season and last week's recap episode. They are warm and caring people, I really enjoy seeing them, and I'm also rooting for them to succeed.

• Love 5

TGIF everybody! I went through all of the pages here having to do with this family and I cannot find an answer on what was Naomi's starting weight? I remember an onscreen weight of 271 which was obviously after her weight loss surgery. Then there was a follow-up weigh in where she had gained 17 pounds in three months.

The reason I ask is that I get the impression that she was no where near as big as the rest of the family before her surgery and wondered why it was necessary for her to choose WLS instead of a very structured eating plan with behavior modification and exercise, tailored to her? I am guessing that, because of the theme of this show, maybe having her try to lose weight without the surgery just wouldn't have been interesting enough to follow?

Thanks.

49 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

TGIF everybody! I went through all of the pages here having to do with this family and I cannot find an answer on what was Naomi's starting weight? I remember an onscreen weight of 271 which was obviously after her weight loss surgery. Then there was a follow-up weigh in where she had gained 17 pounds in three months.

The reason I ask is that I get the impression that she was no where near as big as the rest of the family before her surgery and wondered why it was necessary for her to choose WLS instead of a very structured eating plan with behavior modification and exercise, tailored to her? I am guessing that, because of the theme of this show, maybe having her try to lose weight without the surgery just wouldn't have been interesting enough to follow?

Thanks.

I think it was in the upper 300s, around 380.  Given how short she is, her BMI was way up there too so she definitely qualified for the surgery (our perception is just distorted by all the 600-1200 lb patients on the other show, when in reality most bariatric patients are way, way smaller than that).   Also, she was really hoping to have a baby, and given that she is already in her 30s, maybe she was trying to get the weight down faster?   I remember having children was a major motivator for her, along with being better able to do her job and function overall (I think she is a nurse or an aide, and spends her shifts on her feet - that's hard enough for a normal weight person, let alone for someone carrying basically a whole another person on them all the time). 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't watch them the first season so I wasn't going to comment but then I happened to glance up and see tiny puppy. 🐶  🙂 

Off to finish putting my salad stuff together for lunch tomorrow and then to bed. 

I just started watching and came here just to say PUPPY!

• Love 4

Ah Ha, scoured the internet and found it! Naomi's starting weight was 377 pounds. Why finding this out so important to me is that I am still concerned that many people of her size, especially young people, should initially try to use a very individualized, structured plan tailored to them. And no, I am not accepting any of them saying how much they have tried and tried since that often means that they tried multiple, gimmicky fad diets for a few days or weeks and gave up. Hell, I must have done that a 1,000 times myself.😒 I mean a well designed plan that includes a lot of support and behavior modification techniques. Some cooking lessons on how to prepare delicious, healthy foods wouldn't hurt either.😊

I am not criticizing anyone who chooses WLS. What I am saying is that these shows may have the effect of presenting that choice to the public as an easy, quick fix option for people her size especially young people. Even though the doctors tell them over and over again that this is no quick fix, I don't think that most of them really realize until after the surgery that this entails a life long commitment, that the days of eating what you want, as much as you want, when you want it, are over. Think about the number of times we hear "Wow, I didn't expect this to be so hard."

Also, it bothers me overall that the dangers of this procedure are being glossed over. Yeah, it's usually mentioned that this is major surgery, but when I see these group situations where they're saying something to the effect of "well it's my turn next" it's almost like they're about to get a tattoo or a facial, which gives me pause. What's seldom mentioned is that people still die on the table. I'm sure it doesn't happen that often, but it still happens. As a matter of fact, it happened to a friend of a M600PL participant, Amber I think. She was supposed to accompany and support this person getting WLS, a man in his twenties, who weighed around 400 pounds and he died on the table. She felt especially guilty because she said that he decided to get WLS after she told him she was getting it. Kind of what we see on Family By The Ton.

******* LOL, Mega Rant Over! *******

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
  • Love 8
24 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I think it was in the upper 300s, around 380.  Given how short she is, her BMI was way up there too so she definitely qualified for the surgery (our perception is just distorted by all the 600-1200 lb patients on the other show, when in reality most bariatric patients are way, way smaller than that).   Also, she was really hoping to have a baby, and given that she is already in her 30s, maybe she was trying to get the weight down faster?   I remember having children was a major motivator for her, along with being better able to do her job and function overall (I think she is a nurse or an aide, and spends her shifts on her feet - that's hard enough for a normal weight person, let alone for someone carrying basically a whole another person on them all the time). 

Hi Hellga. Thanks. Boy, you have a great memory, you nailed it! After searching and searching, I found out that her starting weight was 377 pounds.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on all the considerations/background information on what went into her decision to have WLS. Those are all great reasons. Considering what I just posted, I really appreciate your insights.

I am glad to see that it wasn't just based on, "Gee, she/he/they are getting it so I'm getting it too." I still think that a lot of these shows, intentionally or unintentionally, present that mind set to those watching these shows. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hi Hellga. Thanks. Boy, you have a great memory, you nailed it! After searching and searching, I found out that her starting weight was 377 pounds.

It's not memory, I remember them saying yesterday that she lost about 100 pounds. 🙂 

I think previews for the season have shown Naomi saying how no one should think of this as a quick fix, so maybe we will get more of that.  I can't remember if she already said the same to Shavonne during the picnic... 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Hellga said:

After Maja, it's so refreshing to hear Naomi putting her mother's loss ahead of her own!

After Maja, a root canal would be refreshing.

I felt for Naomi. She seems sweet and really wants to have a child. It's probably not something she's ready to hear, but hopefully she comes to realize that miscarriages happen, especially early in a pregnancy. The loss may have had nothing to do with her weight. I know that won't fully help, but hopefully she'll stop blaming herself.

• Love 8

This is the only thread for this show now, right?  I hope so.  

I did catch the show last night after the 600 pound one.  (Oh boy.)  As I watched the various family members with their various reasons for slow weight loss, no weight loss or even gained weight, it just seemed so very DEEP.  I mean, you have to have very deep issues to go through such a public journey on TV, risk your life in surgery, all the while KNOWING that you are going to be returning to TV to bare your soul and body AGAIN, YET YOU STILL REFUSE TO CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS!  It boggles the mind, imo.  Have these people been under some serious mental health treatment? What could make you that way?  Could they possibly be so HARD WIRED for over consumption of food that they are not capable of changing on a permanent basis? Do they even like foods that are good for them? To me, if you enjoy a nice grilled salmon fillet, steamed broccoli, sliced pear, etc.  couldn't you be a little more into healthy living?  

I hate to say it ,but, I agree with their doctor.  It seems that the chances are slim they are going to be compliant with healthy eating.  Risking their health seems to not bother them either.  

What do you think about Naomi and her claim that the grief after her grandmother's death caused her to lose track of her eating plan and to overeat.  According to her, eating anything she wanted and large portions.  How old was her grandmother?  Was she expected to die?  Was this the lady who died and Chitaka was not able to attend her funeral or a different lady? 

• Love 5

Chitoka lost her mother and couldn't go to the funeral. Naomi lost her grandmother about the same time as the episodes being filmed, so Naomi's mother was out of town at the funeral. Even if the family member is older, it's still a loss when a close family member passes away. Obviously, this is a close family.

If food's been a comfort for most of your life, it's not fully surprising that that's where someone would turn at a time stress.

Hopefully everyone in the family can all figure out alternative means of dealing with stress and, in general, the realities of daily life.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

OMG PUPPY!!!

There was not NEARLY enough coverage of that puppy.

I've never heard of Captain D's, but now I want to try it when I'm in the region. I'm quite impressed with the assortment of healthy options there. But even if Drew wanted to splurge, it's striking that he went all the way down the rabbit hole. These folks just cannot do moderation. You could get the cornmeal-breaded fish with veggie sides, or get a kid's meal to have a smaller portion of the bad stuff. Nope, he had to get an old-fashioned feast with chicken AND fish AND corn on the side for maximum carbs.

Edited by IvySpice
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This is the only thread for this show now, right?  I hope so.  

I did catch the show last night after the 600 pound one.  (Oh boy.)  As I watched the various family members with their various reasons for slow weight loss, no weight loss or even gained weight, it just seemed so very DEEP.  I mean, you have to have very deep issues to go through such a public journey on TV, risk your life in surgery, all the while KNOWING that you are going to be returning to TV to bare your soul and body AGAIN, YET YOU STILL REFUSE TO CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS!  It boggles the mind, imo.  Have these people been under some serious mental health treatment? What could make you that way?  Could they possibly be so HARD WIRED for over consumption of food that they are not capable of changing on a permanent basis? Do they even like foods that are good for them? To me, if you enjoy a nice grilled salmon fillet, steamed broccoli, sliced pear, etc.  couldn't you be a little more into healthy living?  

I hate to say it ,but, I agree with their doctor.  It seems that the chances are slim they are going to be compliant with healthy eating.  Risking their health seems to not bother them either.  

What do you think about Naomi and her claim that the grief after her grandmother's death caused her to lose track of her eating plan and to overeat.  According to her, eating anything she wanted and large portions.  How old was her grandmother?  Was she expected to die?  Was this the lady who died and Chitaka was not able to attend her funeral or a different lady? 

Hi SunnyBeBe.  You ask so many great questions, things that I have wondered as well. Maybe they will get to the deep issues in subsequent shows. I think it's such a complicated issue.

Sometimes I think that it is beyond people to understand that, without there having to be some deep, dark secrets to be uncovered, eating is just plain pleasurable. Of course, the folks in these shows take that pleasure to the extreme! But think of it this way: you never hear about anyone becoming addicted to slamming their hand in a car door. Why? Because that shit hurts, that's why! But we hear all the time about people being addicted to meth, heroin, sex, gambling, etc. because, at least in the beginning those things/activities are pleasurable, they feel great, they're fun, but then later on here comes the consequences and the pain.

Your mention of being hard wired reminded me of a book on the causes of modern day obesity I recently read where the author stated something so contradictory to what every so-called weight loss expert says these days about our bodies and our psyches; it was very astounding to me.

Most of these "experts" will say that the human body is designed to be a lean, mean fighting machine, that we're meant to be fit and strong and overeating and being overweight is unnatural. Well, this doctor said--and I believe him--that that couldn't be farther from the truth. He said that throughout human history, food was not always easy to get or available and that humans would often experience long periods of having no food. When they would finally forage something, kill an animal, harvest crops, whatever, they would eat and eat and eat as much as possible since they literally didn't know where their next meal was coming from. He said that this is the true nature of human beings that has been HARD WIRED into the human psyche for millions of years.

That's why it's so hard to back away from something you enjoy eating. At least it's one reason. It's really only been recently in human history that we have access to so much food; food that's abundant, cheap, readily available and often highly processed. His conclusion: we're hard wired to EAT and NOT DIET and that, for most of human history, being fatter could often mean the difference between life and death when food became scarce. Will look up that doctor's name/book title and post it here later.

Now, that's just one reason. There are so many others.

Edited to add: The theory outlined above is called the "Thrifty Gene." The doctor actually takes issue with this theory and was explaining his criticism of it not endorsement. His focus is primarily about the body's response to insulin (and other hormones) especially when it comes to obesity and how much the amount of sugar we eat affects our weight.

Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typos and clarifications.
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

There was not NEARLY enough coverage of that puppy.

I've never heard of Captain D's, but now I want to try it when I'm in the region. I'm quite impressed with the assortment of healthy options there. But even if Drew wanted to splurge, it's striking that he went all the way down the rabbit hole. These folks just cannot do moderation. You could get the cornmeal-breaded fish with veggie sides, or get a kid's meal to have a smaller portion of the bad stuff. Nope, he had to get an old-fashioned feast with chicken AND fish AND corn on the side for maximum carbs.

Oh no, you must have forgotten that all that food was for his mom and that he might have just a piece of fish from her order, lol!😅

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

DC GAL IN VA, those are some pretty interesting theories.  I would like to read more about it. I actually saw a new issue of Time Magazine special edition on Weight Loss Facts or Myth or something like that. I glanced through it, but, it costs OVER $13.00!  So, I passed on it.  That's too much.  I might try to find it online.  There is no doubt that obesity is a complex issue.  I have a family member that I have seen seemingly inhaling food with a look of euphoria on his face.  It was disturbing. This person is VERY obese. 

The reason I asked about Naomi and her grandmother is that she seemed to really be struggling with it.  I don't doubt her pain and true grief at all.  Losing a beloved family member is horrible, but, I've never seen an adult be that devastated long term after the death of an elderly grandparent.  Maybe, her grandmother was her support system and she really relied on her on a daily basis.  IDK....but, as the doctor said. There are always triggers, crisis, worries, hardships......that's life and if we can't eat well unless our lives are perfect, we won't be able to sustain our health.  

I tend to eat more when I'm happy, not worried, upset, etc. .  lol  I must be a pretty happy person.....lol 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The reason I asked about Naomi and her grandmother is that she seemed to really be struggling with it.  I don't doubt her pain and true grief at all.  Losing a beloved family member is horrible, but, I've never seen an adult be that devastated long term after the death of an elderly grandparent.  Maybe, her grandmother was her support system and she really relied on her on a daily basis.  IDK....but, as the doctor said. There are always triggers, crisis, worries, hardships......that's life and if we can't eat well unless our lives are perfect, we won't be able to sustain our health.  

I understood where Naomi was coming from.  For binge eaters, there is a numbness that comes with overeating until you need to vomit.  It erases everything else.  I don't think she was saying that she was eating from grief, exactly, but that eating was what got her through tough times by helping her not feel.  I have never understood why depression questionnaires always list weight loss as a symptom of depression, but not weight gain.  Well, at least they used to.

Dr. Now's show opener says only 5% of WLS patients will succeed in maintaining weight loss, so I don't think we should be surprised by the backsliding, but since it is such a supportive family, maybe their combined willpower and help for each other will get them through.  I think Dr. Procter's kindly approach is getting to them, especially Chitoka--and I'm so glad she's out of her bed!

Chitoka does have peculiar issues, different from the others, since her life was defined by her inability to leave her bedroom for so many years.  It's not just weight loss she has to conquer; it's deciding how to live, almost from scratch.  What will she do with herself all day, now that she can do more things than sit in bed and talk on the phone?  I love Drew for understanding that she needs to get out of the house now.

I wish Shavonne would back off.  I understand where she's coming from, but she hasn't had the surgery and really doesn't know what life is like for them.  I'm glad she wants to help, and I'm glad she has offered to do anything she can to help them, but she's coming on too strong and it's already leading to resistance and resentment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
56 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

DC GAL IN VA, those are some pretty interesting theories.  I would like to read more about it. I actually saw a new issue of Time Magazine special edition on Weight Loss Facts or Myth or something like that. I glanced through it, but, it costs OVER $13.00!  So, I passed on it.  That's too much.  I might try to find it online.  There is no doubt that obesity is a complex issue.  I have a family member that I have seen seemingly inhaling food with a look of euphoria on his face.  It was disturbing. This person is VERY obese. 

I tend to eat more when I'm happy, not worried, upset, etc. .  lol  I must be a pretty happy person.....lol 

Hey SunnyBeBe your post opened up a really deep rabbit hole when it comes to why people like those on this show, M600PL, maybe even Twitney, eat as much or the way they do. Speaking of Twitney, I assume you've see My Big Fat Fabulous Life. The way your family member eats is exactly the way she does: eyes glazed over and half closed, like whatever she's eating is like the best sex ever! Ewww.

I think it's entirely possible that Naomi's grandmother was everything you said she was to her. I've known of people who are/were very close to their grandparents. In some cases, it's because they were the ones that were the major loving and stabilizing force in their lives. I have no idea why her grandmother's death affected her so deeply but it's completely understandable to me. Maybe, when it comes to food, that's how she handles any painful issues. Perhaps instead of going through the grieving process and dealing with her loss, she is keeping those feelings at bay with food.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Effing Autocorrect!
  • Love 2

When my father died I couldn’t eat for days.  After his funeral is when I seriously started losing weight and then consciously decided I had to keep going for my own health.  Comfort eating is real and a big struggle to avoid when you’ve spent your entire life going to food to cope with every feeling so I can see why Naomi (and Chitoka and Drew) are struggling now.  As Dr Paradise and Lola counsel the 600 pounders, you need to develop new ways to cope with these feelings instead of eating.

• Love 6

For SunnyBeBe and anyone else interested in  the book I mentioned above the title is: The Obesity Code - Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss. The author is Jason Fung, M.D. The research he cites is amazing and, even though he is explaining a lot of heavy information about the nutritional and metabolic effects of different foods, among other  on the body, his writing style is very approachable by us non-scientific Earth people.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

For SunnyBeBe and anyone else interested in  the book I mentioned above the title is: The Obesity Code - Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss. The author is Jason Fung, M.D. The research he cites is amazing and, even though he is explaining a lot of heavy information about the nutritional and metabolic effects of different foods, among other  on the body, his writing style is very approachable by us non-scientific Earth people.

Haha!!  This and his Complete Guide to Fasting are my go-to books!  I’ve also read his Diabetes Code (which isn’t totally for diabetics and has some newer info).  He’s got a number of videos online about the aetiology of obesity that I’ve found really fascinating.

4 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Well, this doctor said--and I believe him--that that couldn't be farther from the truth. He said that throughout human history, food was not always easy to get or available and that humans would often experience long periods of having no food. When they would finally forage something, kill an animal, harvest crops, whatever, they would eat and eat and eat as much as possible since they literally didn't know where their next meal was coming from. He said that this is the true nature of human beings that has been HARD WIRED into the human psyche for millions of years.

That's what we were taught in school about the metabolic syndrome and how it came about, and that was 15 years ago.   

There are great many factors that affect someone's weight... and great many theories, from intestinal flora to control center in the brain to hormones to genetics... though ultimately it can all be boiled down to the old adage of "eat less, move more".  

Speaking of different theories, I listened to a webinar that was looking at the cultural differences in "indulgence" factor - how much a given culture values stoicism vs. indulging oneself and there is pretty clear correlation between prevalence of diabetes and value placed on indulgences.   Though, of course, correlation does not equal causation.

Edited by Hellga
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

The makeup crew on this show is great. During what I can only call "the chair interviews" the ladies look fab. Same with the second family. 

This family is pretty darn lovable. Addictions can be extremely hard to overcome, even when they are killing you. Hope they can be in the magical 5%. 

• Love 6

I love this family group, and I hope they buckle down, and get back on their weight loss 'journeys'.     I think they all grew up with every family even being a huge buffet, and I'm not surprised that they all are morbidly obese.      They've gone through so much to qualify for the surgery, and worked their way through surgery, and recovery, and have to do better.  

And that's the cutest puppy!      Drew really needs to do it for the puppy.   

• Love 8

I wonder where they get the swimsuits in their size.  

It's nice to see Shavonne's enthusiasm.  I wonder if it lasts... but if she is successful working from home for a long time, she probably is good at self-motivation (I am not, I fail when I don't have someone breathing down my neck).  

• Love 2

Ouch.  Drew gained 14 pounds, and that's after he has done so well!  That's more than a couple pieces of fish pilfered from "Mom's" fast food order.  I hope that's a wake-up call for Drew!

Will the dietician send Drew to some healthy cooking class?  It would be a good skill for him to learn and maybe teach back to his family...

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 2

I was a little worried about Shavonne before this, but I love how her enthusiasm has energized the others.   And Drew knows that swilling sugary juice is a really bad thing to do.   I hope gaining will be a wake up call for him, and he buckles down.    He already knows not to chow down on fast food, and he's doing it anyway?   I still think he could pick better choices even eating at fast food places.  

Was Drew the one who had a huge stack of pizzas in the car, and was chomping on one going to meet the relatives last season?    

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Was Drew the one who had a huge stack of pizzas in the car, and was chomping on one going to meet the relatives last season?     

Yep, him and another cousin whom we haven't seen for a while, I think not since they all started to really work on their weight loss.

And not just fast food is bad, nice restaurants are fattening too.  I know because when I travel a lot for work, I get fed nice take-out from locally owned sit-down places and put on weight - like 4 pounds in 5 weeks when I spent 5 weeks on the road...

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3

Who was Chitoka kidding with all her denial that the food in her kitchen, in the house where she lives alone, did not belong to her/was not used by her?  

And using cornbread mix is a no-no, doubly no-no for a Southerner!  

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I was a little worried about Shavonne before this, but I love how her enthusiasm has energized the others.   And Drew knows that swilling sugary juice is a really bad thing to do.   I hope gaining will be a wake up call for him, and he buckles down.    He already knows not to chow down on fast food, and he's doing it anyway?   I still think he could pick better choices even eating at fast food places.  

Yes!

7 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Yep, him and another cousin whom we haven't seen for a while, I think not since they all started to really work on their weight loss.

And not just fast food is bad, nice restaurants are fattening too.  I know because when I travel a lot for work, I get fed nice take-out from locally owned sit-down places and put on weight - like 4 pounds in 5 weeks when I spent 5 weeks on the road...

Yes just like all salads are not healthy.

• Love 1

She seems pretty short... so I would guess something like 580.

I wonder why so many people don't want to know what they weigh.  Whether you know or don't it's not going away, and it's always better to know exactly what you are dealing with (from a practical perspective) and to look your fears square in the face (from a psychological one according to me).  you already know your body is starting to shut down, does it matter what the number is that goes with that?

• Love 1

My cable is going nuts, so I hope I get to see the rest of this episode.    642!    But Shavonne is taking it well, and if she turns it into motivation and tries she can do this.   I like her, and hope she succeeds.

Somebody cut that rope, I'm sick of seeing Whitney, and I'm sick of Jazz and her friend too.   Tell me Dr Pimple Popper won't make an appearance too.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

642.  Wow.  Maybe she is taller than I thought she is.  She looks misshapen but she is still fully mobile!

Dr. Procter is starting with therapy.  Different approach than Dr. Now.  Shavonne's surprise at having to lose weight prior to surgery was funny.  Didn't her cousins fill her in? 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 4