Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think the sugar/salt/fat combo in fast food must be truly physically addicting for so many of the people on shows like this to eat *all the time*. 

Agree x 1000. In fact I referenced the book that explains this. The fast food industry uses a lot of the same techniques for addicting its customers that the cigarette industry once did. Some of the major food processors are either owned by tobacco companies or are somehow related to them. They have done studies for just the right proportions of sugar/salt/fat. I highly recommend The End of Overeating: Curbing the Insatiable American Appetite by David Kessler M.D. to explain the link between processed food and obesity.

• Love 2
On 2/1/2018 at 5:43 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought Dr. Proctor looked pretty hot in those scrubs.  I am glad that he stressed that surgery is NOT a quick fix.  Your journey is just beginning.  I'm not sure why that message doesn't seem to get out that much. 

Right?!?! I wasn't even trying to spot him in the OR, but then I did.

I'm so glad I did!
He's a pretty damn good looking guy.

• Love 2
On 2/2/2018 at 5:01 PM, Hero said:

The doctor looked so shocked when he saw how high the number was, then he looked annoyed when he found out that her foot was on the scale. 

Drew should really limit the amount of time he spends with her. She brought him crappy food when he was supposed to be eating healthy. 

I really wish Drew and Hot Doctor had ripped her a new one & sent her out after her immature and selfish "joke." What an asshole she was!

Stella is going to end up in the exam room herself in a few years, so a part of me hopes she has to deal with karma for being so unsupportive when she ends up on her own weight loss journey.

• Love 8

Did anyone else think it awkward the way Naomi was kidding around about having sex with her boyfriend, with Hot Dr. Proctor AND her mom in the room?  I'm no prude, but, I just can't imagine talking that way around my doctor AND MOM.   Perhaps, it was producer driven. 

• Love 3

Ref.  fast food and how its fans seem to thrive on it.  I do get how anyone loves to eat food such as angel hair pasta with shrimp and alfredo sauce, lobster dipped in butter, prime rib, baked potato, key lime pie, etc.  But, it doesn't seem like most of the obese patients we see on tv care much about real food.  They just seem to be obsessed with various sandwiches, fries, pizza, donuts, etc. I'm not sure it matters which foods that you overeat, because calories are calories and weight gain, is weight gain, but, it just seems like an epidemic that needs investigation.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ref.  fast food and how its fans seem to thrive on it.  I do get how anyone loves to eat food such as angel hair pasta with shrimp and alfredo sauce, lobster dipped in butter, prime rib, baked potato, key lime pie, etc.  But, it doesn't seem like most of the obese patients we see on tv care much about real food.  They just seem to be obsessed with various sandwiches, fries, pizza, donuts, etc. I'm not sure it matters which foods that you overeat, because calories are calories and weight gain, is weight gain, but, it just seems like an epidemic that needs investigation.  

Talk that talk!

I am also disappointed in talking heads where they proclaim a strong love of food only to see them pull into Bob's Burger Bin or Chick'n Fixin's. Grease and salt, thats what they're addicted to.

Drew puzzles me most since he cooks real food. He's aware of the kitchen and how a stove works. It's not a foreign land to him like it is so many others. So why is it that when he could no longer see his man bits he didn't grill a mess of chicken and sautee a few string beans. How any of these people can sacrifice a good roll in the hay, travelling or playing outside with their kids for a cheeseburger and fries is beyond me.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 4
On 2/3/2018 at 12:28 PM, gonecrackers said:

Hopefully it was just poor eating habits, stuffing some feelings etc, but when people get to levels of 600+ pounds, it just feels like there's something darker that hasn't been brought to the surface yet.

Where it's an entire extended family, I'll buy that it's just love of food and a tradition of big family meals.

• Love 1

And the addiction aspect of fast food is further borne out by the fact that if these 600+ pound patients would eat a *normal* fast food meal--even a big one, with super-sized everything--I bet they would lose weight.  Their eating isn't spurred by hunger (I doubt that they ever allow themselves to get hungry) or (see Drew and his ability to cook good food) by the taste of FF; as many have pointed out, and as science apparently supports, there is *something* in the particular blend of sugar/salt/fat--in fact, I read a book called Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us a couple of years ago and heartily recommend it--that tickles the addiction parts of our brains.

Like many women, I occasionally binge-eat (a physician once showed me a study that showed that something like 70% of American women binged at least once a month; the percentage was much higher among women with a history of sexual abuse), and if I binge on FF (which I rarely do because it just doesn't taste good), I don't buy one Big Mac; I buy three.  And three shakes, so the guy who takes my money won't think I'm going to eat all three BMs!  My point is that there is something in FF that spurs us to eat, not just the sugar/salt/fat combination, but to eat it in excess.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

From TVGuide.com

The family anxiously waits while Drew undergoes surgery; Chitoka surprises even the doctor when she pushes herself further than ever before; things take an unexpected turn when Naomi and her boyfriend go on their first dinner date post-surgery.

Drew, honey, I love you, but please find a pair of pants with an intact crotch.

Did he actually say that he will be happy when he can “dress to the side”or something like that? I assume he was referring to his package? ?

• Love 7

The family outing for pool aerobics was awesome. After 3yrs Chikota has returned to society- I can see the awe in her face and hear it in her voice. Swimming and water activities are great ways to burn calories, I wonder why we don’t see them more on this show. 

But 10lbs? Chikota, 10lbs?! On a liquid diet? You can do better than that!

The season finale is so soon, will there be a second season? I like this family. 

• Love 11

I watched My 600 lb. Life right before this, and the patient, Karina, was surrounded by the most unsupportive family members. It was really nice to then watch this show and see a bunch of family members coming together to support, love and help each other. I really love this show.

• Love 9

^^ I was coming here to say just that, but gardendiva beat me to it, lol. What a contrast between the sullen, indifferent attitude and total lack of affect from the 600 lb show family, and the smiles and happiness and total encouragement shown by this family. I know with which family I'd prefer to hang with, plus Dr. Proctor (love the rhyming there) is pretty easy on the eyes too. Rooting hard for all of them, and I hope we get to continue to follow their journey

Edited by scootypuffjr
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, gardendiva said:

Drew, honey, I love you, but please find a pair of pants with an intact crotch.

Did he actually say that he will be happy when he can “dress to the side”or something like that? I assume he was referring to his package? ?

I think he said that he wanted to lose so much weight, that his body will fit inside one pant leg. Like the before and after pics people do when they lose a lot of weight. 

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, Hero said:

I think he said that he wanted to lose so much weight, that his body will fit inside one pant leg. Like the before and after pics people do when they lose a lot of weight. 

That's right Hero.  I was confused at first, like Gardendiva, and had to replay it to understand what he was saying.

I was absolutely side-eyeing Chitoka's measly 10 pound weight loss. 

Props to the family, especially Chitoka (!!) and Drew, for getting into the pool.  That looked so fun and encouraging.

• Love 5

I assume that Drew has to split the pants in order for his body fit in into them, right?  

It did appear that Naomi's focus on her new way of eating was annoying her boyfriend, when they were out dining.  I sort of see his point though.  Maybe, it's just me, but, in most sit down restaurants, why is there trouble getting something you can eat? And you can always take your leftovers home...so, what's the deal?

I hope that Chitoka does well, but, she seemed pretty shaky on following directions for her diet for just 2 weeks.  WHY can't they accept medical advice?  I suppose it's part of their disorder and they just can't stop with the unhealthy foods.  Ultimately, it may be very problematic.  You know there is noncompliance with the diet when the patient prefaces their comment with, "It's challenging adjusting to the diet."  Translation: I'm not following the diet.  For some reason they call it not being able to adjust.  lol

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Hero said:

Oh gosh...I am so embarrassed now. I do remember him saying the one pant leg thing in a previous episode, but the thing he said last night right away made me think he was referring to his “package”, LOL! I should have rewound and rewatched that part but I was knitting at the same time. Oops! 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I assume that Drew has to split the pants in order for his body fit in into them, right?  

It did appear that Naomi's focus on her new way of eating was annoying her boyfriend, when they were out dining.  I sort of see his point though.  Maybe, it's just me, but, in most sit down restaurants, why is there trouble getting something you can eat? And you can always take your leftovers home...so, what's the deal?

I hope that Chitoka does well, but, she seemed pretty shaky on following directions for her diet for just 2 weeks.  WHY can't they accept medical advice?  I suppose it's part of their disorder and they just can't stop with the unhealthy foods.  Ultimately, it may be very problematic.  You know there is noncompliance with the diet when the patient prefaces their comment with, "It's challenging adjusting to the diet."  Translation: I'm not following the diet.  For some reason they call it not being able to adjust.  lol

All the new restrictions, foods, experiences are also probably nowhere near as interesting to the boyfriend (or anyone else not going through the experience) as to Naomi. 

When someone is going through such a major life change, I'm sure it's all consuming to her.  But maybe not to the partner. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, gardendiva said:

Oh gosh...I am so embarrassed now. I do remember him saying the one pant leg thing in a previous episode, but the thing he said last night right away made me think he was referring to his “package”, LOL! I should have rewound and rewatched that part but I was knitting at the same time. Oops! 

? Nothing to be embarrassed about. I thought what he said was really random. 

• Love 2
On February 4, 2018 at 9:33 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone else think it awkward the way Naomi was kidding around about having sex with her boyfriend, with Hot Dr. Proctor AND her mom in the room?  I'm no prude, but, I just can't imagine talking that way around my doctor AND MOM.   Perhaps, it was producer driven. 

I thought her boyfriend was more embarrassed than anyone ... I confess I am worried that this show may create a rift between them ... I wonder if he knew what he was signing up for with the show. He obviously loves (hope it's still present tense) Naomi no matter what size she is and is supportive but some people just don't want their private lives on TV.

6 hours ago, gardendiva said:

I THOUGHT he meant that his goal was to be able to fit both legs into one leg of the pants he's wearing now ... ETA: My bad, others confirmed this before I got to the bottom of the posts!

I am a little concerned about Naomi and her boyfriend. I get the feeling he's just maybe not comfortable with being part of the show (you can tell he loves her and is incredibly supportive and loved her when she was heavier as well ... perhaps he just didn't know what he was signing up for ... and I remember how embarrassed he was when she started talking about their sex life on TV). 

Also, I caught in passing (I don't know if this was the first time it was used?) that Chitoka's nickname is "Tick-Tock" and I think that is absolutely adorable. 

I do love this show because I love this family. They may be the single most well-adjusted and loving family on reality TV, period. I want them to adopt me! I'll cook nice unfattening food ... oh, who am I kidding I can't cook. But I'll let them share all the Lean Cuisines in my freezer!

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

All the new restrictions, foods, experiences are also probably nowhere near as interesting to the boyfriend (or anyone else not going through the experience) as to Naomi. 

It's annoying to go out to eat with someone obsessing over what they can or can't have... she should just order according to her plan & not drone on about it (I haven't seen the show yet, so just a general comment).

15 hours ago, Hero said:

The Doctor is so good looking, especially in those scrubs. 

I'm in agreement with others here on this one. If this doctor even took my pulse I might get aroused. 

• Love 7

It looks like next week is the finale (?), and I will be so disappointed to stop with their journey.  I definitely hope we get another season.  Does anyone know how the ratings have been?

I, too, noticed the contrast between Karina's family on My 600 Pound Life and this family.  But not only that, there's the difference between the "patients" on this show versus that.  These all have enthusiasm and life in their voices, and Chitoka in particular was radiant when she was talking about the possible improvements to come.  (However, girl really does need to step up her game, given that she only lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks on the "liquid" diet.)

• Love 4

I also like how this show allows the people to have their dignity and does not exploit them like a sideshow attraction. No disgusting shower/toilet scenes. Everyone is well adjusted and functional, nobody is mentally ill, and everyone seems to care about grooming and hygiene no matter their size. It is refreshing to watch.

• Love 11

Did anyone else wonder if Dr. Proctor approved Chitoka because the alternative was letting her die? Because I can't imagine he was thrilled with her 10 lb. weight loss (and he said as much), and it doesn't seem like she's demonstrated the discipline necessary to eat properly post-surgery. I suspect this is sort of a last-ditch effort on this part.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Did anyone else wonder if Dr. Proctor approved Chitoka because the alternative was letting her die? Because I can't imagine he was thrilled with her 10 lb. weight loss (and he said as much), and it doesn't seem like she's demonstrated the discipline necessary to eat properly post-surgery. I suspect this is sort of a last-ditch effort on this part.

Chitoka's surgery could've made a good cliffhanger, if they had wanted to drag it into a new season.

Edited by gonecrackers

You never know.  I think it would be challenging to live with a person who is in recovery for obesity.  It's a daily thing really. I can see how it would strain a relationship.  ALSO, some men prefer PLUS size ladies, so the weight loss may make them less attractive to their man.  

I wonder if cousin Stella would get weight loss surgery. I was suspicious about her at first because of how pleased she seemed when Drew ate badly and she brought him a fast food breakfast before his consultation with the doctor. I could see how much she cares about Drew after his surgery, so that makes me like her. 

The smoothie Chitoka made looked like a lot of carbs/sugar. I think I saw juice in there?

One more thing, I can't keep my eyes off of Dr. Procter!

4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I'm in agreement with others here on this one. If this doctor even took my pulse I might get aroused. 

My heart would be racing! Lol.

I'd like to see another season of this show for sure. I like it better than My 600 Pound Life.  I'd like to follow this family for a good while. They have enough members to feature various patients getting surgery to continue for a couple of years! lol  Let's hope their obesity issue will not continue with the younger kids.  That's one thing that gets my nerve is when a morbidly obese patient gets surgery and loses a bunch of weight, change their diet, get in shape, etc.  AND they continue to feed their kids garbage, fast food, processed food, sweets in large quantities.  It makes me wonder if they aren't eating vicariously through their kids.  It's not a kind thing to do to the kids though.  They deserve a life of healthy eating too. 

• Love 3

I totally understand Naomi's food concerns after surgery.  I had weight loss surgery and would simply look at the restaurant menu before arriving so I would know what I wanted without having to decide on the spot.  There were times I ordered from the appetizer menu or split a meal with a friend.  I gave them any soup or salad that came with the meal and I took a small portion of the main entree.  Naomi could also order what makes the best leftover.  I never wanted anyone to feel like my decision to have surgery should impact what they wanted to eat or where they wanted to go.  If you put a little effort into it you can eat anyplace.  I successfully lost 103 pounds and I've kept it off for the past 2 years.  I also lost 10 pounds on the liquid diet but my starting weight was 233, not 600+.  So I call BS on her really sticking with suggested foods for the liquid diet.  

Overall, I do love this family.  The big difference is this family is still alive and talk about the future and on My 600 Pound Life they seem to eat while waiting to die. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

It's annoying to go out to eat with someone obsessing over what they can or can't have... she should just order according to her plan & not drone on about it (I haven't seen the show yet, so just a general comment).

Too, I think part of the problem was how much was wasted, even if it was carted home.  I have a family member notorious for wasting money (usually not hers), in that manner.  Takes things home to spoil in her fridge.
In real life--as opposed to TV--, you can check the menu for most places online, so you know what to go for.
How old is Chitoka?  I think she's younger than I originally thought.
How is Beverly doing?
I was shocked that next week is the finale, and I certainly hope they'll be back.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, mellowjoi said:

I totally understand Naomi's food concerns after surgery.  I had weight loss surgery and would simply look at the restaurant menu before arriving so I would know what I wanted without having to decide on the spot.  There were times I ordered from the appetizer menu or split a meal with a friend.  I gave them any soup or salad that came with the meal and I took a small portion of the main entree.  Naomi could also order what makes the best leftover.  I never wanted anyone to feel like my decision to have surgery should impact what they wanted to eat or where they wanted to go.  If you put a little effort into it you can eat anyplace.  I successfully lost 103 pounds and I've kept it off for the past 2 years.  I also lost 10 pounds on the liquid diet but my starting weight was 233, not 600+.  So I call BS on her really sticking with suggested foods for the liquid diet.  

Overall, I do love this family.  The big difference is this family is still alive and talk about the future and on My 600 Pound Life they seem to eat while waiting to die. 

Congratulations!  It sounds like you really have made some changes.  I agree about Chitoka.  If she couldn't do what she was supposed to do for 2 weeks.....odd, imo. 

I'm sure the restaurant scene was a production set-up, so I can't fault Naomi. "OK, honey, now what we'd like is for you and Mike to sit down and order a meal. This will give you a chance to do some exposition on what its like to go to a restaurant after surgery. Sound good?"

I think Mike was kind of a dick to whinge about food being wasted. You can take it home! He surprised me, up till now I'd thought of him as warm and supportive, but last night he was terse and nitpicky and a jerk. Jesus, Naomi is taking on a big challenging life change, and you're whining about a few nachos? Maybe they'd better hold off on having kids after all. Someone ought to tell him that pregnancy, childbirth, and caring for an infant might make Naomi a little testy sometimes.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, mellowjoi said:

I love this family, too, and want to know what happens to them down the road.  It looks like the finale is going to be a big reveal, showing them all lighter in weight.  But one thing I like about 600 lbs. is that the patients are followed for an entire year, and then some of them are shown later on, too.  I want so much for these folks to be able to keep the weight off long-term.

I felt bad for Naomi for losing her boyfriend over the restaurant stuff--I'm sure that wasn't the only thing, but it's all we saw.  As you say, there are lots of strategies for dealing with eating out, none of them the kind of thing that would make other people uncomfortable, and I'm sure Naomi would have figured them out in time.  It's a shame she wasn't better prepared for this first dinner date, and it's a shame her boyfriend wasn't a little more understanding.  And it's a shame they didn't talk about it beforehand.  It's possible he's one of those guys we see pretty often on 600 lbs. who are not actually happy about their girlfriends' weight loss, whether it's because it threatens their role as care-giver or because they worry that the girlfriend will be so attractive she'll find another boyfriend.  Since Naomi didn't need a care-giver, I incline to the latter--she is gorgeous, and she was gorgeous when she was fatter, too.

• Love 5

It was an interesting time for Naomi's bf to bolt. I doubt it was the restaurant alone. It was possibly her entire lifestyle change - maybe he doesn't eat healthy & doesn't want anything to do with it. Maybe he did secretly prefer her heavier. I say 'secretly' because she never mentioned weight being a thing for him either way. He also complained of her being 'moody'. She was adjusting to huge changes & still learning how to avoid food as entertainment, comfort, etc. That will probably be the most difficult part. If he couldn't deal & hang in there with her he certainly wasn't worth her time. Naomi seemed okay in the previews so I hope she keeps going strong. She has that amazing support system with all those people around her, & that's more than most people have.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Did anyone else wonder if Dr. Proctor approved Chitoka because the alternative was letting her die?

It must have been.  A recent 600 Lb Lifer, Liz, was like, and the rules were suspended, but she was someone who seemed to have lost all hope.
At least Chitoka has people to keep her going.

26 minutes ago, auntjess said:
21 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Did anyone else wonder if Dr. Proctor approved Chitoka because the alternative was letting her die?

It must have been.  A recent 600 Lb Lifer, Liz, was like, and the rules were suspended, but she was someone who seemed to have lost all hope.
At least Chitoka has people to keep her going.

I kind of wondered if the show pressured due to filming & wanting to have a 'reveal' show.  Dr. Proctor didn't look thrilled to be approving her, & he seemed like he was trying to justify his decision (which maybe wasn't totally his).

She will have lots of support though, so that's a huge bonus for her.

From TVGuide.com

After years of being bed-bound, Chitoka's surgery day is finally here, but her size makes the procedure extremely dangerous. Meanwhile, Naomi shares a surprising secret with her friends; and at Beverly's birthday party, the cousins reveal their startling transformations.

Chitoka looked lovely.  Everybody looked great. They still have a long way to go. I hope the show will follow them. They are such a lovely and loving family.

Mama Beverly never looked very big to me. She seems the smallest of all of them.

• Love 9

Drew looked great! And I'm wondering if during his talking head segments the producers padded him up because his stomach looked like a very smooth mattress on every episode including the later ones where it should have been more, for lack of a better word, flaccid from the weight loss.