Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love this family and I am rooting for them.  Looks like this is the end of this season, though. Do we have another family starting next week or is this it for the year?

• Love 2

They all look so good for this party! The hair, makeup, outfits, and accessories for the ladies of the family and Drew looks great too! Absolutely no excuse for most of those folks on M600PL looking a hot mess with sheets draped over them or sloppy clothing. These folks are very uplifting and I wish all of them continued success.

Is this the last episode? Gee, I hope not.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, DC Gal in VA said:

They all look so good for this party! The hair, makeup, outfits, and accessories for the ladies of the family and Drew looks great too! Absolutely no excuse for most of those folks on M600PL looking a hot mess with sheets draped over them or sloppy clothing. These folks are very uplifting and I wish all of them continued success.

Is this the last episode? Gee, I hope not.

This family seems to have a bit more money than the M600PL folks.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hey, what happened to that new suit Drew had tailor made? Still wearing that old shirt and jeans combo. His date seems like a nice lady and is trying to lose weight as well.

Well, I think he met her in the park.  I am thinking the suit is probably for church.   I liked their interaction, especially after watching the end of M600PL.

I hated the wig Naomi had on, and she is still too big to rock that dress.

What's with the stairs to the doctor's office?  I wondered if he had a wheel chair entrance on the backside of his building.  I would think she would find coming down the stairs even harder than going up.

Shavonne looked good in that dress.

Can someone give me a quick backstory on the smaller woman whose name I think is Bev.  I missed last season.  I was thinking she didn't have WLS, because she seemed normal size compared to the rest, but she mentioned in this episode that she had had it. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Twopper said:

Can someone give me a quick backstory on the smaller woman whose name I think is Bev.  I missed last season.  I was thinking she didn't have WLS, because she seemed normal size compared to the rest, but she mentioned in this episode that she had had it. 

Beverly is Naomi’s mother, she was the first to have WLS and had complications that put her back in the hospital in one of the earlier episodes.

Edited by ThereButFor
  • Love 2

I kept thinking there had to be another entrance to that building with a ramp or something, felt awful for Chitoka the way she had to just about crawl up those stairs.  What an achievement to manage it, but I kept thinking how badly she could hurt herself it she fell.  I think Dr. Procter gave her the referral to motivate her to lose more weight so she would be eligible for the skin removal surgery she wants so much.

This was a good episode, I was so happy when Shavonne (with Naomi’s encouragement) packed up all that food from her “fat funeral” and didn’t eat it.  She really was working hard even before the surgery, I wasn’t sure if she would or not.

All of the family are so likeable, a wonderful antidote to the very nasty Jeanne.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Wow, can we say totally ADA non-compliant for a doctor's office with all those stairs AND no hand rails!?

The building has an accessible entrance, if it’s owners are complying with the law, but pulling up to the side door and taking a ramp or an elevator doesn’t make for good TV.  Toc was talked right into that so she could have her TV “victory”; so she could scale her Everest.  She’s losing weight very slowly for a WLS patient; she needed some non-scale successes for production to show off.  

Personally, that scene made me sad for her, although showing up to the party without her canes warmed my heart.  

And what that surgeon talking about, 50 more lbs?  I’d assume she needs to be much closer to goal for cosmetic surgery.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I dunno, for a variety of reasons, I have had to see many different types of doctors, though not a plastic surgeon, but I have never, ever seen a more handicapped unfriendly medical office like that. He may not be required by law but, as a medical professional I find that unacceptable. Personally, I need to use hand rails when climbing stairs.

Actually, that whole scene made me angry. I found it humiliating. So Chitoka will literally need a small army of people with her each time just to see this guy? If that was yet another case of TLC manufactured DRAMAH, then I am not amused.

Edited to add: Didn't mean to be Debbie Downer with these comments. Not having reasonable access to buildings when I need it makes me grumpy!😊

I'm with you on this.  And, like the poster above, I need a handrail to climb stairs, not because of disability but because of age and fear of falling.

Here is what (in part) the ADA says:

Each facility or part of a facility constructed by, on behalf of, or for the use of a public entity shall be designed and constructed in such manner that the facility or part of the facility is readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities, if the construction was commenced after January 26, 1992.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/2010ADAStandards/2010ADAstandards.htm#medicalfacilities

That building looked pretty new to me, certainly post-1992.  I suspect that there is a ramp for accessibility somewhere, but if there is not a clear sign pointing to it, it might as well not exist.

The scenes of Chitoka crawling up those stairs would go over big in court, should she decide to sue for non-compliance.

Another thing that bothered me about that doctor visit was that he seemed to be examining her in the waiting room.  I wonder why?  Maybe there were stairways to each exam room.

At any rate, boo to this guy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Mothra said:

I'm with you on this.  And, like the poster above, I need a handrail to climb stairs, not because of disability but because of age and fear of falling.

(raising hand) SAME! If I'd arrived at that office and seen no handrail I would have turned around and left. I can't imagine a medical facility not even providing a handrail. Plastic surgeons work on older folks, someone might come in for a consult while on crutches, a patient might have a baby in a stroller. Sheesh.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Wow, can we say totally ADA non-compliant for a doctor's office with all those stairs AND no hand rails!?

I think there was a handicapped-compliant entrance, but for drama, they chose to use this one.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, ThereButFor said:

All of the family are so likeable, a wonderful antidote to the very nasty Jeanne.

Chitoka's sister seemed happier than she did the first season.  I imagine her life is a lot easier now, than when she was a caretaker.

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:22 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

Hey, what happened to that new suit Drew had tailor made? Still wearing that old shirt and jeans combo. His date seems like a nice lady and is trying to lose weight as well.

I really wish he had gone for a darker color fabric for that suit.  The color he chose shows every lump and bump.

On 3/14/2019 at 5:34 AM, ThereButFor said:

I kept thinking there had to be another entrance to that building with a ramp or something, felt awful for Chitoka the way she had to just about crawl up those stairs.  What an achievement to manage it, but I kept thinking how badly she could hurt herself it she fell.  I think Dr. Procter gave her the referral to motivate her to lose more weight so she would be eligible for the skin removal surgery she wants so much.

This was a good episode, I was so happy when Shavonne (with Naomi’s encouragement) packed up all that food from her “fat funeral” and didn’t eat it.  She really was working hard even before the surgery, I wasn’t sure if she would or not.

I give Chitoka and the entire family credit about not crying that people are looking at them.  She practically crawled up those steps but I never heard her say anything about how embarrassing it was.  

I think she knew she wasn't ready for surgery but was hopeful.  She could easily lose 50lbs if she continues healthy eating and exercise.  

I'm also impressed they wear real clothing and great looking clothes at that.  I guess M600PL made me think everyone who can't shop in most stores just gives up and wraps a king sized sheet around them and calls it a day.  

This family also seems to have genuine love for each other, which is nice to see.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, mellowjoi said:

I'm also impressed they wear real clothing and great looking clothes at that.  I guess M600PL made me think everyone who can't shop in most stores just gives up and wraps a king sized sheet around them and calls it a day.  

I think there's an economic difference between this family, and a lot of of the 600 pounders.

• Love 9
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:28 PM, Friday said:

I really wish he had gone for a darker color fabric for that suit.  The color he chose shows every lump and bump.

Maybe he chose it on purpose so he will notice when he gains?  Or given where he was, things like small lumps and bumps don't bother him at all and he just went for a color he wanted?

• Love 2

So, according to this YouTube video that was recommended to me (UGH), Amy and Tammy Slaton (apparently some YT semi-celebs) are filming for Family by the Ton:

I'm not so sure this is a legit source, but we'll see.

Is anything ever Casey’s fault? It’s not his fault he’s fat. It’s not his fault that eats enough to feed 15 people.   It’s not his fault he can’t work. Quite the victim our Casey.

His parents need to dump his ass. He gets disability. He is mobile. Put him in his own apartment and let him live on his own and take care of himself.  

Edited by Kid
  • Love 3

What a difference between Amy doing the spartan race and Whitney Thor! No braying,  No having a team of people drag/lift her ass through the various things. Amy just killed it.

• Love 3

I enjoyed seeing the first couple of episodes, of the King family.     However, Amy and Amanda are easy to root for.    I loved Amy and her dad doing the Spartan race.   I hope Amanda finally had her cancer surgery.    

The two men (Casey, and the other one) were very irritating, and I don't see either one of them sticking with any program. 

• Love 1

I'm late to the party, but I just watched the King family episodes today.

I didn't like anybody. Casey is full of rage and refuses to accept responsibility for anything. I did like his sarcasm, though. He seemed like the most intelligent of the bunch, IQ-wise.

Amy seems in love with herself and smug. She is trying way too hard to seem "with it" and cool. Also, having been an education major myself, I have little respect for the profession. The lowest IQs in a university campus tend to cluster around the education majors. I finished the degree but didn't go into the profession as I found my fellow graduates to be morons, almost without exception. Half of them couldn't spell and they all struggled with basic math. Welcome to America.

Amy seemed to want to stir up drama with Casey over the whole burger thing, rather than to genuinely express concern. She strikes me as someone who pretends to care but actually is very self-absorbed. She did not apologise to Casey for upsetting him and it was not her role to take him to task for what he did or didn't do.  It was also not the time or place to do so. That was the one issue where I felt Casey had a point.

Ed's comments about his wife's reaction to steak seemed innocuous and factual to me and I am baffled by the "OMG he totally bashed his wife by saying that!!111" comments. The comments were made within the context of a "What happens after WLS?" discussion, rather than sheer snark for snark's sake. His wife looked incredibly unhealthy; at first I thought she was Ed's mother. She could easily pass for 70 years old. My guess is that the WLS isn't permitting her to get the nutrients she needs. I'm betting their older daughter has an eating disorder (either anorexia or bulimia). She happens to be the only person in the family who is trim, and she is surrounded by disordered eating. I am concerned about the children. I grew up in a house where a can of Betty Crocker icing eaten with a spoon constituted an acceptable meal; it took years to figure out how to eat properly and I still don't have normal hungry/full signals.

I don't get why she had weight loss surgery for being 120 pounds overweight. I lost 140 pounds without surgery. It is possible. It seems ridiculous to do that and then not be able to eat normally for the rest of your life.

The dietician Casey saw was an idiot, but most dieticians are as they continue to spout the food pyramid like tired vacuum cleaner salesmen. Fat is not bad. Carbs are. You cannot subsist on low calories for the rest of your life; you will eventually rebel as your metabolism slows to a crawl. There is a small percentage of people who cannot digest large amounts of fat, but for most of us, keto would serve very well. If not keto, then at least low-carb. My cholesterol was really high before I began keto; it lowered to a healthy level and ratio of HDL:LDL after I'd been on keto for several months. I had been diabetic but my insulin levels dropped, as did blood sugar. A1C dropped from almost 7 to 4.7. Fat is not bad. Sugar kills. I am so frustrated with the disordered and ignorant attitudes toward fat.

Amanda did not lose very much weight over the course of the episodes. I'm not optimistic about her weight loss long-term.

• Love 1

The Small Talk thread, at the most current page, on the My 600 lb life thread has a video update with Casey.   Casey wrote several long comments too.   

Spoiler

He's now below 300 lbs., and doing well.   I was amazed.     I wonder how Amy and Amanda are doing?   I liked the two women.    Ed (the former fire fighter) didn't interest me at all. 

I'll try to link the Youtube, but I'm not great at this.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
On 12/11/2020 at 8:20 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Small Talk thread, at the most current page, on the My 600 lb life thread has a video update with Casey.   Casey wrote several long comments too.   

Hide contents

He's now below 300 lbs., and doing well.   I was amazed.     I wonder how Amy and Amanda are doing?   I liked the two women.    Ed (the former fire fighter) didn't interest me at all. 

Amy and Amanda have Instagrams where you can see how they are doing. I'm not sure if I can post their Instagrams or not. Amanda is married now and she got the extra skin around her stomach taken off. Amy has a boyfriend and they both said themselves that they have gained a little weight back. 

• Love 2
On 12/11/2020 at 8:20 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Reveal spoiler

A fitness YouTuber I follow, ObesetoBeast interviewed Casey- I will link it here

• Love 1
On 3/1/2019 at 11:37 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

Raw indeed Brooklynista. ITA. I know that I am hopelessly old fashioned, but I really believe that it is in everyone's best interest to make a baby with someone who actually wants to be a dad. And yes, I am also one of those who believes that getting married and establishing a financially secure and healthy environment for a child with two parents who want to be parents gives a child the best start in life.

Also, I would think that she would want to address the issue of her obesity and her struggles to reach a healthy weight BEFORE contemplating bringing a child into the world. I agree with Hellga that her weight probably didn't have anything to do with her miscarriage, but being significantly overweight while pregnant definitely increases the chances of health complications for both mother and baby. Heh, if she thinks losing weight is tough now, try sticking to a weight loss plan after having a baby with that extra 50 pounds or more of "baby weight" to lose. Sorry, but I can see her taking that "I'm eating for two" to the extreme.😄

Exactly. I cannot imagine that her Doctor would be happy with a pregnancy either. She wants to be loved, it's clear as day. But getting pregnant by someone you haven't been dating for very long while you are still morbidly obsese is not the way to go. If Naomi were to get pregnant right now - she'd never lose the weight and would probably be right back where she started from in a few years. She needs to continue therapy, work on herself -- and then try to find the right person to have children with. 

• Love 1

I'm new to this thread, so excuse my ignorance, but does Dr. Procter put them on any sort of diet (like 1200 cal/day ala our other favorite bariatric surgeon does)?  Because when seeing him with Amy, I don't recall him giving her any such instructions. Other Media

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good points.

I thought Casey has done such a good job- why doesn’t TLC do a follow up on him and give him free skin removal surgery? I know he works a physical job, so he might not be able to take the time off for the recovery but it’s good to see someone succeed and not just the struggles. In one of his videos with John (Obese to Beast) he said the Drs never expected him to get below 350, this surgery was just to keep him mobile and keep him out of immediate danger. He’s exceeded all expectations!

• Like 4