Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, 3girlsforus said:

Why does that sound weird? Steak salad is one of my favorite things.

Speaking of weird salads...  there is a layered salad that is our family tradition for the winter holidays.  It's basically smoked herring buried under layers of beets, carrots, potatoes onions and covered with mayo at the top.  One of my friends, when invited over, kept insisting it was a cake and I could not convince it was, in fact, a salad. 🙂  It's vegetables!  And a herring cake sounds way weirder than a herring salad anyway!

• Love 2
Just now, DC Gal in VA said:

Oh yes, me too. I am trying to get back into my low carbing and a steak salad sounds lovely, especially with roasted mushrooms included.

Yummm Mushrooms!! I haven’t tried that on a steak salad. I’m going to have to do that next time. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Sure - but that’s a physical therapist. A personal trainer is a different thing. Sounds like she’s using a friend instead of an actual professional.

A professional can be also a friend.  I answer a ton of health-related questions for free for family, friends, neighbors and co-workers.  If I can help, why wouldn't I? 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 1
Just now, Hellga said:

A professional can be also a friend.  I answer a ton of health-related questions for free for family, friends, neighbors and co-workers.  If I can help, why wouldn't I? 

Oh of course but I don’t think a physical therapist would call themselves a personal trainer especially since you can be a personal trainer just by declaring yourself as one while a physical therapist goes to a lot of school and gets a license etc. So I think she’s using a friend who is probably a personal trainer as her physical therapist instead of using a professional physical therapist. 

3 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Speaking of weird salads...  there is a layered salad that is our family tradition for the winter holidays.  It's basically smoked herring buried under layers of beets, carrots, potatoes onions and covered with mayo at the top.  One of my friends, when invited over, kept insisting it was a cake and I could not convince it was, in fact, a salad. 🙂  It's vegetables!  And a herring cake sounds way weirder than a herring salad anyway!

That’s a Danish dish, isn’t it? I’ve heard of it but never tried it. My dad is a big fan of pickled herring. Me - not so much. 

6 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Oh of course but I don’t think a physical therapist would call themselves a personal trainer especially since you can be a personal trainer just by declaring yourself as one while a physical therapist goes to a lot of school and gets a license etc. So I think she’s using a friend who is probably a personal trainer as her physical therapist instead of using a professional physical therapist. 

That’s a Danish dish, isn’t it? I’ve heard of it but never tried it. My dad is a big fan of pickled herring. Me - not so much. 

Don't rely on my recall because I don't remember exactly about the profession of that gal.  That's been a year after all.

Russian dish, actually.  There are a lot of different herring preparations popular all over the North Sea and Baltic Sea.  I am not a big fan of herring, but when my travels take me somewhere, I do like to try local foods and I tried at least half-dozen kinds of preserved herring.  Smoked is way better than pickled (or fried).  

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3

The mom looks great; nice dress! Naomi you are very pretty but why oh why a CATSUIT!? You are at least 100+ pounds away from that. Drew looks better but he really needs that skin removal surgery. Oooh Chitoka looks lovely; very pretty dress. However, a goal of 250 pounds? No bueno.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Gee, so Naomi's boyfriend dumped her? I wonder what that was all about? That's okay girlfriend, just think of it as losing extra weight! Glad she did let that mess her up.

If I remember correctly, he was very supportive at first but when she actually progressed on her weight loss, they started fighting all the time and he became kind of a jerk.  Maybe because she really wanted to have a baby and he didn't?   

• Love 2
11 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

shocked that Dr. Proctor had to send Drew to another doctor's office to get weighed. You're no Dr. Now Dr. Proctor, lol! 😄

In a number of older WLS programs  the patients were too heavy for the scales so they were sent off to weigh on commercial scales which were often located on a loading dock.  This is definitely an improvement.  

Is it my imagination or does Dr P have a higher weight limit on the patients he does surgery on than Dr N?

Anyone else old enough to remember the ads for Ayds diet candy (they were caramels you had with a hot drink before you ate, and it ruined your appetite), where a woman had to go use the scale at the feed store to weigh herself?  

In spite of the preview for the new episodes, I'm hoping there is still major progress, because the update very close to the filming just isn't enough time for a significant change for some of the people.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

remember the ads for Aids diet candy

I do! But it was spelled Ayds and they had to remove it from the market after the AIDS crisis began because, well, UGH: 

I'm glad I bailed on the rest of the show last night. I already saw all of the S1 episodes -- I didn't need to see the 40-minute condensed version and 20 more minutes of commercials for Sister Wives.

The active ingredient in Ayds candies was benzocaine.  It was supposed to numb your stomach so that you didn't feel the hunger pangs.  I think it's a very rare overweight person who eats only to curb hunger pangs. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

My understanding was originally Ayds were just caramels, and they added the benzocaine later, to make it a legitimate product.

There was another Ayds testimonial about a lady who lived very far north, where the winter is awful, and she dieted all winter, and lost a lot of weight.    She spiffed up her wardrobe, got an entire beauty makeover, including different hair, and in the spring looked so different that the neighbors snubbed her husband.    She looked so different that they thought he had traded her in for another wife.    

I wonder if Dr. Proctor gives them medication to kill their appetites when they start the liquid diet?

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I’m not sure I could be sitting there eating a burger while someone explains to me how desperately I need weight loss surgery

Today I went for a walk - it was a beautiful sunny day - during lunch so I ended up eating while listening to a webinar.  While it was supposed to be about healthcare disruption, they spent most of it talking about the history of how we came to eat some much sugar and how diabetes is so prevalent now.  Just as they were talking about an average American consuming 2,5 times the maximum FDA recommended daily amount of sugar (or 5 times the max recommended by WHO), I was eating a delicious scone.  With clotted cream and strawberry jam!   Though unlike Drew,  I am not 700 pounds. 

They did make me think about how much sugar I actually eat, saying how hard it is to avoid now (the speaker has been trying to challenge himself to eat no more than 25 grams a day and said it was time-consuming and expensive).  I wonder how much sugar these guys eat, especially given that they are in Georgia, where everything seems to contain sugar!

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 5

Harder to avoid sugar/carbs when you're living on fast food. 

Seems like the family is all calling each other on their bad habits, while the one calling foul is ignoring his/her own. Naomi was getting pretty salty w/her cousin Shavonne at the pool, for example; but Shavonne hasn't had surgery yet or shown that she can lose any weight pre-surgery.

Chitoka and Drew and talking a good game, but neither is really following the program as they should.

I feel for these guys...it's tough to change so much. But the surgery is only part of the puzzle.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I’ve never seen this family either. The bed woman was cooking on a hot plate in her bed so we definitely have snark potential. 

I like this family, and while Chitoka was in bed, she was always well-dressed, even if in a negligee, and her house is impeccable.
I really hope they did well, and I want to see Drew get skin surgery, and Naomi find a new love, not the guy who gave her a hard time last year.  Wasn't he complaining because she was no fun to eat out with, after her surgery?

• Love 6

It's great to see Chitoka in the park after she spent years just in her bedroom.  

And Drew is a poster child for why weight loss matters: stopped blood pressure and diabetes meds and everything is better!  Good for him!

Just now, cmpbl said:

Didn't they eat a whole pizza or 2 before they got there?

I think they ate several between the two of them!  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, cmpbl said:

Didn't they eat a whole pizza or 2 before they got there?

Yep!  It was fascinating...and disgusting, but no judgment!  The car ride was not a long one 😉

Edited by umgoblue
Because I is not it...
4 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I love grits but how much grits is she gonna eat!? That's a helluva lotta grits.😊

My experience with grits is limited to the reference in "My cousin Vinnie" and the awful grits I was served once at a hotel in Atlanta.

At least now I know what it was, I was debating between gravy (which has been My 600-lb classic this season) and cake batter!

PS  I *hate* TurboTax "Freefreefree" ads.  All of them.  Right up there with the dishwasher kid and the other (Care something?) kid.

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, Hellga said:

My experience with grits is limited to the reference in "My cousin Vinnie" and the awful grits I was served once at a hotel in Atlanta.

At least now I know what it was, I was debating between gravy (which has been My 600-lb classic this season) and cake batter!

PS  I *hate* TurboTax "Freefreefree" ads.  All of them.  Right up there with the dishwasher kid and the other (Care something?) kid.

Yessssss so much about those free, free, free commercials, enough already! Only good thing is that they'll be over after April 15th. And I still hate that snotty dishwasher kid!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I think it's so hard for Chitoka with those legs/thighs/feet as far as mobility is concerned.

I would think surgery to remove some that fat around her legs would help tremendously. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hello again Pounder Pals from the Live Chat! Ready for round two? Wow Drew lost 300 pounds, 102 pounds of it was skin and his health has improved. Fantastic!

I didn't watch them the first season so I wasn't going to comment but then I happened to glance up and see tiny puppy. 🐶  🙂 

Off to finish putting my salad stuff together for lunch tomorrow and then to bed. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, DC Gal in VA said:

What was Shavonne's starting weight? Also, Naomi just looks bigger than 271 pounds to me and, although she is very pretty, I can see two things that probably attract a lotta guys and they're both on her chest!

I think she is pretty short.

• Love 2