Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I really like this family so far, & the fact that there's more self-awareness is refreshing. However, that's a lot of dysfunction. If one falls, will someone else follow?  The pizza parties have to be replaced with maybe doing something active, or getting together to cook healthy. The support could be great, but if there's a weak link it could make or break them. They'll each have to be individually strong.

• Love 9

Let's see how many episodes before doctor Proctor's sweet little soft demeanor explodes and evaporates when is his patients don't lose weight or gain.  Can't wait to see the switch to YOU ARE EATING TOO MUCH!  YOU EAT TOO MANY CALORIES WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?  ERRRG!  Can definitely tell he's new at this.

• Love 3

He weighed almost 700 pounds-something like 678.

On 1/17/2018 at 9:48 AM, gonecrackers said:

I really like this family so far, & the fact that there's more self-awareness is refreshing. However, that's a lot of dysfunction. If one falls, will someone else follow?  The pizza parties have to be replaced with maybe doing something active, or getting together to cook healthy. The support could be great, but if there's a weak link it could make or break them. They'll each have to be individually strong.

I like them too. They're kind to each other. I liked that they went bowling, which is fun and active, but of course they had to get burgers and fries! If they're going to make this a family affair, then everyone has to be on board. I'm looking at you, cousin who brought Drew a huge fast food breakfast. I think she's the one who doesn't want to lose weight, and doesn't want to lose her buddy. If she's not going to support Drew 100% then he needs to cut her loose, at least for now. She strikes me as someone who'd come over while Drew is struggling with the 1200 calorie diet and say "what harm will one pizza do?". Or worse, show up with a sack full of donuts and go all wide eyed and butthurt if he gives her hell for doing it.

Naomi's boyfriend is a treasure. She's a lucky girl.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, WillowG said:

I am just watching it and absolutely Furious that a clinic called Beltline Bariatric can't even have a bariatric scale!??  WTH??  That was ridiculous!

I agree.  It's beyond ridiculous. If this doctor isn't already humiliated, he should be.  What kind of Mickey Mouse operation has a dinky little scale like the one they had?   I mean, maybe, you don't perform surgery on people larger than that, but, they may very likely come for consult. It boggles the mind.  I'm not sure what makes me madder.....either it was true or they contrived it.  Either way, it ticks me off.  Man, that really bothered me.  Not sure, why, but, it's just WRONG on so many levels. 

Well, it's not surprising they have all the little super morbidly obese juniors in training already lined up.  Did you see those plates at the bowling alley? lol  The kids look pretty thin, but, with that crew, they'll have the kids over 100 pounds overweight before they reach middle school.  

I got frustrated when both patients who are supposed to be on the doctor's plan (called liquid, but, then said they could have chicken and apples), but, they don't plan for their day, so, at dinner are starving.  So, he gets big old burrito and she storms out crying.  Isn't this the time where you are supposed to learn to plan and prepare for your nutrition?  It's frustrating.  One idea that I had when I did a liquid diet and no, I wouldn't recommend it.  You put the envelopes of powder in your purse and when in the restaurant, you order your water and prepare it at the table.  A large glass will work.  It's not that hard to manage. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, WillowG said:

I am just watching it and absolutely Furious that a clinic called Beltline Bariatric can't even have a bariatric scale!?? 

I can't believe that!  Dr. Now wouldn't give a puny scale like that house room.  

8 hours ago, scootypuffjr said:

678, I think. I was surprised, I thought he would be over 700

From looking at him, I'd have guessed close to 800, so I was surprised that he was that low.
I wish he could have skin removal first, because those lymphodema or whatever the protrustions are, must be so hard and painful for him.

• Love 2

I just don't get it.  I can understand feasting on dishes like prime rib, shrimp, lobster, crab legs, pasta, but, pizza?

I heard somewhere that pizza is one of the foods that have the right combination of textures, flavors and components that encourage people to keep eating even when full. I don't have the original source however, it has been scientifically proven that Snickers bars are the perfect proportion of melty, chewy, and crunchy that make it hard to stop eating them. Source: The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite by David Kessler M.D.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, auntjess said:

I can't believe that!  Dr. Now wouldn't give a puny scale like that house room.  

From looking at him, I'd have guessed close to 800, so I was surprised that he was that low.
I wish he could have skin removal first, because those lymphodema or whatever the protrustions are, must be so hard and painful for him.

Well Drew is still pretty mobile for his weight, at 800 that would be very hard (although I think he’s a tall man). The very long panus flap makes it hard to guess- he is shaped strangely. 

• Love 5

There is just something about surgery on patients who are super heavy.  It just makes it too risky.  I think it's about breathing or something.  They just don't tolerate it well.  So, Drew will need to lose down to at least 600 to get the surgery, right? 

It's not my wish to diss this doctor that is being featured, but, I'm just getting wonky signals from the getgo.  Recall, when he sends the mother to the hospital to check out her painful belly?  Later, we see another doctor who is treating her and talking to daughter.  We are told that he works with her surgeon.  Why wasn't her surgeon on the scene?  Then, when Drew can't get weighed in his office, he is sent to another doctor's office, to get that done and we are told that he works with this doctor and he sits and talks with Drew.  It's said that he works with before and after care of the patients.  But, he's from a separate doctor's office?  It's rather disjointed to me.  I have no issue with a TEAM approach to healthcare, but, with so many different people on a case, how can they all be well informed about the patient?  Dr. Now, on his show, seems to be the only who is top of the patient's care in his office or maybe, that's just what we see for tv.  I just hope that the families on Family By The Ton are all going to get quality care and I was not given that impression by an office who puts an obviously close to 700 pound person on a 550 pound max scale.  SHAME on them. 

Who can actually sit with their legs unbent and paint their toenails? OMG.  My legs aren't that long, but, I can't imagine it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I will keep an open mind, but, things aren't starting out too great.  So far, I'm not that impressed.  I have listed my reasons on the episode thread. Scale, disjointed care, etc.  I wonder if he knows what he's in for.  I have to keep reminding myself that he's a bariatric doctor.  I mean, I did google him. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

I really have a hard time understanding how someone can be so huge for so long as to think it's "normal" to spend your entire life sitting spread-eagle on a bed . . . ???

All that extra fat that Drew carries around with him looks like someone who does tandem sky-diving always walking around with another person strapped to the front of them.  I just can't even imagine the effort!

I wish these shows would START with a dietician coming into the home (24/7) to clear out all the crap food, then take the family members WITH THEM to the grocery store, then coach them on how to prepare healthy, tasty meals.  Maybe even move these people to a secure location (similar to The Biggest Loser) for 30-45 days, long enough to break old habits and create healthy new ones.  Besides being addicted to fat and sugar, these people need EDUCATION and lots of people learn best by DOING. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Who can actually sit with their legs unbent and paint their toenails? OMG.  My legs aren't that long, but, I can't imagine it. 

I could do it- just put your legs straight out and bend over (like sitting on a bed and lean forward). 

For some reason heavy ppl are often limber- Chikota (am I Spelling her name right?) seems limber enough. 

If she can ambulate to the restroom I wonder why she hasn’t left her bedroom. Drew is at least still getting around. The loss of mobility has to be the worst thing, because of the loss of muscle tone I would think. 

• Love 1

I suspect that Chikota has a form of Agoraphobia and is phobic about leaving the house.  Just my suspicion.  It seems to be rather common with large people who hole in their house for a long time. 

Maybe, I just have stiff leg muscles, but, leaning down over straight legs to paint my toenails would be very uncomfortable.  Maybe, I need physical therapy.  lol  Chikota didn't seem to even strain.  It was like her feet are right at her lap level.  Odd.  But, seriously, I think she must be double jointed. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I suspect that Chikota has a form of Agoraphobia and is phobic about leaving the house.  Just my suspicion.  It seems to be rather common with large people who hole in their house for a long time. 

Maybe, I just have stiff leg muscles, but, leaning down over straight legs to paint my toenails would be very uncomfortable.  Maybe, I need physical therapy.  lol  Chikota didn't seem to even strain.  It was like her feet are right at her lap level.  Odd.  But, seriously, I think she must be double jointed. 

Agoraphobia makes sense. Take low self esteem, depression, and social anxiety- add that to the pain of extreme obeseity and you have someone that hasn’t left the house in 3yrs. 

• Love 3

Please help me understand. A Doctor is telling a HARD CORE food addict to go on a liquid diet for weeks.  WTF, they cannot stop just like that.  Send them to a psychiatrist. A normal thinking person is not going to eat themselves up to 700 pounds.  You got to have the right MINDSET to want to change your YEARS of bad and deadly decisions.  If they have the discipline to go on a liquid diet, they don't need to see you! 

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I agree.  It's beyond ridiculous. If this doctor isn't already humiliated, he should be.  What kind of Mickey Mouse operation has a dinky little scale like the one they had?   I mean, maybe, you don't perform surgery on people larger than that, but, they may very likely come for consult. It boggles the mind.  I'm not sure what makes me madder.....either it was true or they contrived it.  Either way, it ticks me off.  Man, that really bothered me.  Not sure, why, but, it's just WRONG on so many levels. 

Well, it's not surprising they have all the little super morbidly obese juniors in training already lined up.  Did you see those plates at the bowling alley? lol  The kids look pretty thin, but, with that crew, they'll have the kids over 100 pounds overweight before they reach middle school.  

I got frustrated when both patients who are supposed to be on the doctor's plan (called liquid, but, then said they could have chicken and apples), but, they don't plan for their day, so, at dinner are starving.  So, he gets big old burrito and she storms out crying.  Isn't this the time where you are supposed to learn to plan and prepare for your nutrition?  It's frustrating.  One idea that I had when I did a liquid diet and no, I wouldn't recommend it.  You put the envelopes of powder in your purse and when in the restaurant, you order your water and prepare it at the table.  A large glass will work.  It's not that hard to manage. 

They simply don't know how to plan. They have not been educated to a new way of living or thinking.  That so called Doctor should have classes and psychiatrists for these poor people to meet.  You just don't tell 25 years of bad habits, "Go start your liquid diet today to prove to me you are serious"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, joh said:

Please help me understand. A Doctor is telling a HARD CORE food addict to go on a liquid diet for weeks.  WTF, they cannot stop just like that.  Send them to a psychiatrist. A normal thinking person is not going to eat themselves up to 700 pounds.  You got to have the right MINDSET to want to change your YEARS of bad and deadly decisions.  If they have the discipline to go on a liquid diet, they don't need to see you! 

I think even a food addict can go on a liquid diet for a few weeks- the short term goal of getting surgery can distract them from their addiction, once the surgery happens and the weight starts to come off I 100% agree that therapy is needed to continue the journey and keep weight off, but if they had to wait for therapy to begin the fear may be that they will put more on?

With a lot of people in Drew’s situation(I’m not considering Naomi in this, she’s still very mobile, living life, and YOUNG, she could take 2-3years of therapy and diet modifation to lose weight without her life being at risk and still be young enough to get pregnant like she wants), they are so heavy they are one fall or accident away from being totally bed bound, one step away from a stroke etc the weight has to come off NOW to get them out of the danger zone. 

Thats been my interpretation based on what I’ve seen from these obesity shows. But I agree intense therapy should be happening right along side other treatment. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, suzeecat said:

I really have a hard time understanding how someone can be so huge for so long as to think it's "normal" to spend your entire life sitting spread-eagle on a bed . . . ???

All that extra fat that Drew carries around with him looks like someone who does tandem sky-diving always walking around with another person strapped to the front of them.  I just can't even imagine the effort!

I wish these shows would START with a dietician coming into the home (24/7) to clear out all the crap food, then take the family members WITH THEM to the grocery store, then coach them on how to prepare healthy, tasty meals.  Maybe even move these people to a secure location (similar to The Biggest Loser) for 30-45 days, long enough to break old habits and create healthy new ones.  Besides being addicted to fat and sugar, these people need EDUCATION and lots of people learn best by DOING. 

Yes. The crap things need to be removed from the home, nutritional guidance is needed and appropriate groceries need to be purchased!

But I don’t think they think it’s normal. It’s THEIR normal. They know most people are not bed bound due to their weight, but they feel trapped (physically and emotionally), also they are probably afraid, riddled with anxiety and agoraphobic. 

• Love 1

The doctor called it a liquid diet, but, then later, said you could have some meals of broiled chicken or something like that.  Then, the one cousin who was on it, said she could have apples.  So, I'm not clear on what the actual definition of liquid diet is. 

I agree that your mindset has to be right to make any changes in your eating, but, I wonder if the idea is that if the patient doesn't have to contend with weighing, measuring, cooking, etc.  food, they may fare better.  It might be mentally easier to just mix the powder, drink it and be done with it.  I am surprised that the office doesn't have a liaison to help with questions, coping, etc.  I know that Dr. Now, used to have a former patient who worked in that role in his office.  Not sure what happened to her, but, I would think that they would be a valuable asset to the medical office.  Yet, it seems most patients just get a list to follow and weigh-in time.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think even a food addict can go on a liquid diet for a few weeks- the short term goal of getting surgery can distract them from their addiction, once the surgery happens and the weight starts to come off I 100% agree that therapy is needed to continue the journey and keep weight off, but if they had to wait for therapy to begin the fear may be that they will put more on?

With a lot of people in Drew’s situation(I’m not considering Naomi in this, she’s still very mobile, living life, and YOUNG, she could take 2-3years of therapy and diet modifation to lose weight without her life being at risk and still be young enough to get pregnant like she wants), they are so heavy they are one fall or accident away from being totally bed bound, one step away from a stroke etc the weight has to come off NOW to get them out of the danger zone. 

Thats been my interpretation based on what I’ve seen from these obesity shows. But I agree intense therapy should be happening right along side other treatment. 

You make some good points, BUT, the question is not CAN a food addict go on a liquid diet, They CAN, it is what will motivate them to make such a drastic change and Stay on one.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

There is just something about surgery on patients who are super heavy.  It just makes it too risky.  I think it's about breathing or something.  They just don't tolerate it well.  So, Drew will need to lose down to at least 600 to get the surgery, right? 

It's not my wish to diss this doctor that is being featured, but, I'm just getting wonky signals from the getgo.  Recall, when he sends the mother to the hospital to check out her painful belly?  Later, we see another doctor who is treating her and talking to daughter.  We are told that he works with her surgeon.  Why wasn't her surgeon on the scene?  Then, when Drew can't get weighed in his office, he is sent to another doctor's office, to get that done and we are told that he works with this doctor and he sits and talks with Drew.  It's said that he works with before and after care of the patients.  But, he's from a separate doctor's office?  It's rather disjointed to me.  I have no issue with a TEAM approach to healthcare, but, with so many different people on a case, how can they all be well informed about the patient?  Dr. Now, on his show, seems to be the only who is top of the patient's care in his office or maybe, that's just what we see for tv.  I just hope that the families on Family By The Ton are all going to get quality care and I was not given that impression by an office who puts an obviously close to 700 pound person on a 550 pound max scale.  SHAME on them. 

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

You make some good points!

I'm actually rooting for the members of this family, but something Chitoka said perplexed me. She was talking about worrying about the risks of the surgery, and yes, they are very high at her size. 

But...

If she stays in bed and keeps eating like she has been, she will die, 100%, probably soon. If she has the surgery, she might die. I'm not saying surgery isn't scary, but isn't a possible death sentence preferable to a certain death sentence?

• Love 2

If she's so scared of the surgery & knows death is around the corner she could've been trying to eat healthy & lose naturally for years.

I missed it but does Chitoka live alone? She sits in bed all day but puts herself together, paints her toenails, etc. I kept thinking how does she get along all day by herself when she can barely move.

I agree she may have agoraphobia, as she looked really nervous when the doctor said he wanted her to be able to come see him. But she can't expect to have surgery in her house, so, I'm assuming her pursuing this means she wants to finally get out.

Drew is absolutely amazing to me. He's still mobile, even with that huge apron, AND takes care of his aged mother who lives with him. He's going to need help post surgery though.

Why is this doctor imposing (mostly) 'liquid' diets on them? Dr. Now has his patients on a protein rich diet. They have to learn to eat properly & no one can sustain a liquid diet in life. I don't understand this method.

Edited by gonecrackers

From what I've seen on tv, there are some reasons to get a lot of weight off before the surgery.  And while they referred to it as a liquid diet, I don't think it's completely liquid, because Dr. Proctor actually said something about you could have some protein meals like children. Then, the girl said she was having apples.  So, there does seem to be some food involved.  But, apparently, there are some reasons for what they are prescribing.  Plus, after the surgery, they will be on a liquid diet for many weeks, right?  They have to have only liquids until they heal, right?

One thing that really blew my mind was Drew taking off his jacket before stepping on the scale......I mean.....how would the weight of a jacket matter when you are in that category?

I have a GREAT idea.  This family would benefit from the services of Iyanla: Fix My Life.    She could likely really get into their family dysfunction and bring some truth to the situation.  They should do a crossover show with TLC and OWN.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

I realize they have to get some weight off before surgery (I watch Dr. Now LOL). I just agree with others that going (mostly) liquid would be extremely difficult for a food addict. I don't think they mentioned these folks getting any counseling support either, so, that's pretty tough.

I think Drew made a funny comment before he took the jacket off that he didn't want it 'weighing him down'. He does have a bit of a self deprecating sense of humor.

I never watched that Iyania show, but no one can fix someone's life. They can give them tools to work with, & some may work for them, some may not. But the people have to be ready & then they're the ones who have to do the work.

As I had mentioned I wonder if everyone in this family is truly ready. Maybe some are just along for the ride or being pressured into it. If there's any co-dependency & one weak link others could cave, so they just have to each focus on getting strong individually.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2018 at 10:32 PM, gonecrackers said:

Why is this doctor imposing (mostly) 'liquid' diets on them? Dr. Now has his patients on a protein rich diet.

When Dr. Now puts  patients in the hospital as a last resort, I think they're on that.
And I wonder if it isn't easier to suck it up and go on this very strict diet, rather than something that seems to leave more room for "I'll just have one donut," or a big Mac is high protein, ever with fries.

Well before they have surgery they're doing some sort of diet - he's always requiring them to lose a certain amount of weight prior. I've never seen those folks doing liquids at all, but rather, lean proteins & veggies.  It at least gets them used to cooking & eating better, which is something they're supposed to do afterward as well. It's a lifestyle change, so that's what they really need to get used to so it hopefully sticks with them.

I thought he did that to some, who were in really bad shape, and wouldn't do it on their own.
It's just that if you do it that way, you get your martyr badge, and to me cutting way down had been easier than cutting back.

Way back, I went on a diet and ate only steak and pineapple for dinner, and I think a Metracal for lunch.  

Edited by auntjess
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

From what I've seen on tv, there are some reasons to get a lot of weight off before the surgery.  And while they referred to it as a liquid diet, I don't think it's completely liquid, because Dr. Proctor actually said something about you could have some protein meals like children.

Wow, that's a really intense diet  How many children can they eat?  Do they have to eat whole children?  Sorry, I know it's a typo.  I kid, I kid.  :-)

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Wow, that's a really intense diet  How many children can they eat?  Do they have to eat whole children?  Sorry, I know it's a typo.  I kid, I kid.  :-)

Lololol... too funny ? 

I watched this the other day and while they aren't quite as bad as some of the 600 lb. people, they have many of the same problems.  When Drew said he had a disease and the lack of exercise was his problem, not food, I knew he was in for a tough time.  You don't get to 700 lbs by just sitting on your ass.  You ate whole pizzas in the car on the way to a pizza party and you don't have a food problem?  Deep, deep denial on his part.  Food addiction may be disease, but it's still an addiction.  To me, it's the same as a heroin addict saying they have a disease and shoving a needle in to their arm.  Wasn't he supposed to be on the liquid diet and that giant burger and fry order came at the bowling alley?   I like the idea of a family doing this together, but it follows the same pattern as 600 lb life. 

I will probably watch, but if I hear OWW MAH LEGS or it's FRIIIIIIIIIIIED RICE, I'm out.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2018 at 5:38 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I was on a liquid diet for 9 months and after the first three days you really aren’t hungry physically, but I’m sure if you’re not mentally committed you would have a difficult time

On 1/20/2018 at 6:56 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

The doctor called it a liquid diet, but, then later, said you could have some meals of broiled chicken or something like that.  Then, the one cousin who was on it, said she could have apples.  So, I'm not clear on what the actual definition of liquid diet is. 

I agree that your mindset has to be right to make any changes in your eating, but, I wonder if the idea is that if the patient doesn't have to contend with weighing, measuring, cooking, etc.  food, they may fare better.  It might be mentally easier to just mix the powder, drink it and be done with it.  I am surprised that the office doesn't have a liaison to help with questions, coping, etc.  I know that Dr. Now, used to have a former patient who worked in that role in his office.  Not sure what happened to her, but, I would think that they would be a valuable asset to the medical office.  Yet, it seems most patients just get a list to follow and weigh-in time.   

Liquid diet is so easy no thought about what to eat or measuring or how many calories you have consumed and weight loss is guaranteed!

Edited by stacyasp
  • Love 2

Per TVGuide.com:

After struggling with her liquid diet, Naomi learns if she is approved for surgery; Drew's new weigh-in leads him down a slippery path; family tragedy motivates Chitoka to try to become more mobile, starting by trying to leave her bedroom.

19 hours ago, stacyasp said:

Liquid diet is so easy no thought about what to eat or measuring or how many calories you have consumed and weight loss is guaranteed!

Not easy for me.  I broke my jaw and had to do liquid for 6 weeks.  You're right, though.  I wasn't "hungry" after a few days.  Just very, very, angry.  

21 hours ago, ccphilly said:

Not easy for me.  I broke my jaw and had to do liquid for 6 weeks.  You're right, though.  I wasn't "hungry" after a few days.  Just very, very, angry.  

Well it’s all a mental thing and if you’re not doing it for weight loss it would be incredibly hard!

Edited by stacyasp

The producers told Drew to eat all that fast food while on his liquid diet, right? A person can't be that dense and think that greasy fast food is healthy while on a DIET?

• Love 2

I guess different surgeons prefer different methods re the liquid meal thing. I know on Fat Doctor, they do a 'milk diet' to lose weight and shrink the liver before surgery. I don't think they do it for more than 2 weeks or so and don't recall if he put them on a calorie restricted diet before that.

I looked into the gastric sleeve the other year and joined a FB page for older people who were considering or had done the procedure. Many of them were doing protein shakes before surgery and there was a lot of discussion about the 'best' shakes.

At my university center, they believed in eating regular foods. I had 12-1500 calories. You were told to drink milk, or, since I'm lactose intolerant, soy milk, when you were hungry between meals. I still try to use that tactic.  I was going to do the surgery for my diabetes and didn't have to lose any weight before surgery. I am plump, but no where near the size of a lot of the other prospective patients, so I don't know if some of them had to lose a certain amount before surgery. In the application, however, they did ask you what you've done to try and lose weight before. 

For various reasons that will take me too far off topic, I opted out. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Hero said:

The producers told Drew to eat all that fast food while on his liquid diet, right? A person can't be that dense and think that greasy fast food is healthy while on a DIET?

But it's his One Meal! You can eat anything at your One Meal!

It's not all the juice's fault, Drew, it's the two breakfast sandwiches and the side and whatever was in that carton you were starting to open... Getting away with eating a queso-covered burrito and still losing a little weight made him think he could keep sliding. Nope, Drew, you should have lost more that first time around on a liquid diet.

Naomi rocks and I hope everything goes smoothly without complication. She and her partner can go make beautiful healthy babies!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, ArmenianGirl said:

Naomi is a beautiful girl and has a loving partner that supports her.

I want Naomi's eyebrows! 

4 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:
8 hours ago, Hero said:

But it's his One Meal! You can eat anything at your One Meal!

Oh, brother. I knew where that was going the minute he was all, "I can cheat a little" (or whatever he called it). No juice boxes, Drew! But I did feel there was some producer intervention there like, "Hey! Slow down with the weight loss! We need the audience to think this is just your average episode of My 600-lb Life!" 

Dr (Not) Now has some pretty good hair plugs though, I'll say that. 

On 1/12/2018 at 1:24 AM, sara1025 said:

One thing I'll say for Chitoka, at least she's flexible, being able to do the splits in bed like that.

I am looking forward to seeing if this family succeeds, will be a nice change compared to other TLC shows.

After seeing her walk I don't think that is flexibility. She just can't close her legs.

Have they showed who bathes Chitoka, helps her in the bathroom, changes her linens and clothes, etc. ? She hasn't addressed how she can't do those things, but, it doesn't appear that she can do those things. Her legs seem so painful.  I can't really see what they are like, since she keeps them covered most of the time, but, they appear super large from top to bottom.

Drew is really hardwired for certain food.  Once again it blows my mind how some people LOVE the fast food.  OMG, I mean. it's not even that tasty.  I just don't get it.  Good food, I get it. That's tempting, but, wrapped up stuff from a burger joint?  I wonder if he will ever be able to really settle in to a lifetime plan for eating right.  He just seems to think of doing things temporarily and not permanently.  

I do worry about Naomi's mom.  Just how long was she in the hospital with complications?  It seems like she was out of commission for quite a while. 

• Love 1

As soon as Drew said he lost the first 30# so easily and now can "ease up on the restrictions a little," I knew he was doomed.  

I loved how the trainer used her own body to assist Chitoka in her exercises!  She seems to have changed her tune a little from the first episode when she said that being fat wasn't the worst thing in the world, to now calling her body a "prison." I suppose the death of her mother caused a little reality to set in.  She's working harder than most, I wish her luck and success.

• Love 7