Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/3/2019 at 10:37 PM, MakingBacon said:

I think Casey is resistant to losing weight because he would then be forced to go out into the world. He likely finds it frightening. Where do you start when you have never held a job or had any adult responsibility at that age?

Funny you should ask, because I just found the perfect place for him.  Who knew such places existed?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/02/08/bare-walls-little-furniture-big-dreams-year-inside-dc-esports-house/?utm_term=.2ec448d2cc08

• Love 2
On 2/6/2019 at 10:23 PM, Hellga said:

Last season's Family by the Ton were all really likeable, so TLC must counterbalance them with someone deliciously delusional!

Also, I don't recall every damn one of them, always being together, everywhere.
The Kings need a bus, like the Partridge Family, because they go everywhere together.
From the preview, it looks like there was some backsliding, and I'd hoped to see skin surgeries, especially for Drew.

• Love 2

I have been troubled by the fact that Amanda, who surely has the greatest motivation to lose weight, seems to be lagging behind everyone else, although (I think) she was the first to have surgery.  I wonder what's going on with her, and if she will ever lose enough weight to have cancer surgery.

• Love 1
On 2/6/2019 at 9:31 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

Who is the really huge young blond woman who walked onto the field with Amanda?

Her name is Michelle.  I think she was with Amanda at all her weigh-ins   Amy had an overweight friend as well, but I think we only saw her briefly.  The friends are why I wanted to rename the show Friends and Family by the Ton. 

• Love 3
On 2/6/2019 at 10:42 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

Amy looks so cute in her sparkly dress! Though I do prefer her stylish short hair. 

On 2/6/2019 at 10:43 PM, mmecorday said:

Her short hair is so much more becoming to her! I hope that's a wig.

I found it insulting to her that they put her in those extensions.  It's like saying your weight loss isn't enough, your own pretty looks aren't enough, we need to give you this long hair and then you'll be outstanding enough to appear in the finale.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Mothra said:

I have been troubled by the fact that Amanda, who surely has the greatest motivation to lose weight, seems to be lagging behind everyone else, although (I think) she was the first to have surgery.  I wonder what's going on with her, and if she will ever lose enough weight to have cancer surgery.

With Amanda’s type of cancer, it is possible she may have a hormone imbalance and she just isn’t going to lose weight as rapidly as her cousins. 

• Love 4
On 2/7/2019 at 9:13 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Casey will never keep the weight off, and lose a lot more, because then his parents will try to bounce his fanny out on his own.     All of those years sitting in his room could have gone to multiple college degrees online, right from the comfort of his mattress.     Someday when his parents are gone, and whatever he inherits is gone, then he will be totally confused about what to do.    

Amanda and Amy give me hope, and I hope both keep on the right path, and come out healthy, and happy in the end.

Ed is still a jerk that only cares about himself, and I really don't see him or Casey really making an effort long term.      I wonder if Ed's wife saw the footage about him making fun of her before it aired?     I bet that was an eye opener. 

So much so this CrazyInAlabama and, in addition, he will be pissed because nothing, absolutely nothing, is his fault. Have you noticed that when he's having his talk to camera moments he seems to accept some responsibility for his current situation but it always ends in blaming someone else, specifically mommy and daddy? I really don't wish ill on him but we have to face it that he just doesn't seem to have what it takes for any type of long term success, not even to reach and maintain 300 pounds where unfortunately a lot of the 600 pounders seem to feel that they have reached the end of their "journey."

• Love 5

Because of the way she carries her weight, Amanda will always have the huge stomach, and spare tire area, unless she has more than the 100 lbs or so she already lost, and keeps losing more.     At about the 300 lb mark she can have her cancer surgery, and then will need major skin removal surgery, for her abdomen, hips, thighs, and I'm sure the bat wing upper arms.      Considering they won't do surgery until she loses about 200 more, the doctors need to help her lose faster, so she can have her cancer surgery.     

The one that looked virtually the same to me was Casey, who is still shaped like a bowling ball, and I'm sure always will be.   

Ed looked smaller, but the way his suit was draped, and tailored was the only think that made him look smaller at all.    Ed's suit coat was very square, and had very big and wide shoulder pads, so he did look smaller.   I haven't seen shoulder pads that big since Dynasty was on.    However, I think Ed will be like Casey, where they meet at the drive thru windows of their town, for multiple feedings a day.  I don't see either one keeping weight off. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Because of the way she carries her weight, Amanda will always have the huge stomach, and spare tire area, unless she has more than the 100 lbs or so she already lost, and keeps losing more.     At about the 300 lb mark she can have her cancer surgery, and then will need major skin removal surgery, for her abdomen, hips, thighs, and I'm sure the bat wing upper arms.      Considering they won't do surgery until she loses about 200 more, the doctors need to help her lose faster, so she can have her cancer surgery.     

Hopefully they can do that. She seems motivated, but being older, heavier, and female all work against her when it comes to weight loss. 

The one that looked virtually the same to me was Casey, who is still shaped like a bowling ball, and I'm sure always will be.   

He's never going to grow up/move out. He doesn't want to. His parents won't make him become an independent adult. My guess is he'll be on his way to eating back the weight within a year.

Ed looked smaller, but the way his suit was draped, and tailored was the only think that made him look smaller at all.    Ed's suit coat was very square, and had very big and wide shoulder pads, so he did look smaller.   However, I think Ed will be like Casey, where they meet at the drive thru windows of their town, for multiple feedings a day.  I don't see either one keeping weight off. 

Ed might keep it off. Not sure how much more he'll lose. He does seem to have some amount of motivation, unlike Casey.

• Love 3
Just now, CrazyInAlabama said:

They did say they were going to show where they started, so my guess is it's going to be a rerun.      

Yes a retread...while I understand they have to get new viewers up to speed, I want to see where they are now.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hey there umgoblue and OogleEyes!!! Are we gonna get some snark? I have never watched this family before.

They are so much more lovable than the family from the first half.  You should check out the first season, which focused only on them.  I really like this family.

Edited by umgoblue
  • Love 6

They are the first season of Family by the Ton, and so much more likeable than the men from this season's family.     I will miss Amy and Amanda from this season, but not the men.  

This seems to be a rerun of the first episode of last season. 

I hope this family (the Andersons) have done well, in spite of the previews.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Hero said:

they just re hashing from last season?

This seems to be a total rehash episode. Next week's episode description is:

A year after the Anderson family started their weight loss journey, they find that the honeymoon period is over as they being to struggle; their 600-lb cousin Shavonne wants to follow in their footsteps.

So it doesn't seem like we'll be seeing any "after" updates on them on this show--at least not until the last few minutes, I'd presume.

I am trying to figure out if this is new or just rehash.  Maybe they are just grounding everyone in who everyone is because not everyone watched the first season or people forgot the details?  And then they will give us updates in the next second half of the episode?

1 minute ago, DC Gal in VA said:

So was Chitoka's mom also obese? My condolences to her and her family.

I don't remember... I don't think she ever appeared on the show and the only photo I remember of her is a headshot.  She probably wasn't slim but if she were as obese as most of them, they probably would have mentioned it?  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I don't remember... I don't think she ever appeared on the show and the only photo I remember of her is a headshot.  She probably wasn't slim but if she were as obese as most of them, they probably would have mentioned it?  

She wasn't on the show.  But, at the time I was inclined to think she was obese because the headshot seemed as if her face was attached to a larger body, if that makes sense.

5 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I’m not sure I could be sitting there eating a burger while someone explains to me how desperately I need weight loss surgery

I probably could.  I am good at compartmentalizing.   

Interesting to see people dressed in white for the funeral... I have heard of that being traditional in some cultures, but usually I associated it with East Asia... 

• Love 2

Kind of shocked that Dr. Proctor had to send Drew to another doctor's office to get weighed. You're no Dr. Now Dr. Proctor, lol! 😄

Damn, missed Drew's weight. What was it?

Started at 673. Lost 50 before surgery

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Kind of shocked that Dr. Proctor had to send Drew to another doctor's office to get weighed. You're no Dr. Now Dr. Proctor, lol! 😄

Damn, missed Drew's weight. What was it?

I think it was in the 720s or 730s, I didn't catch the exact number either. 

Meeeow, Naomi's boyfriend is Hella FINE!

Fasten your seatbelt!  *sits on hands to avoid spoilers*

Edited by Hellga
Just now, 3girlsforus said:

Started at 673. Lost 50 before surgery

Thanks. Seems like this family needs a more descriptive title than family by the ton. That group shot of all the extended family waiting outside for Chitoka's walk was unbelievable. Those are some big folks.

Anybody wanna take a shot at giving them their own "special" name?

4 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I think it was in the 720s or 730s, I didn't catch the exact number either. 

Fasten your seatbelt!  *sits on hands to avoid spoilers*

Awwwwww shit................ 😯

2 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Did that say that the woman who hasn’t left her bed/house in 3 years has a personal trainer?

She got a physical therapist/trainer (I think she is a personal friend of her sister?) to come and work with her at home.  Actually, a lot of physical therapists come to work on patients in their homes...  

1 minute ago, Hellga said:

She got a physical therapist/trainer (I think she is a personal friend of her sister?) to come and work with her at home.  Actually, a lot of physical therapists come to work on patients in their homes...  

Sure - but that’s a physical therapist. A personal trainer is a different thing. Sounds like she’s using a friend instead of an actual professional.

• Love 1