Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I’m finding it difficult to muster ANY sympathy for Baby Casey. I get being scared of surgery (been there, done that) and the added stress of being morbidly obese, but he is one of the most unsympathetic characters on the TLC morbidly obese train wrecks. 

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

But Casey did have a job. We don't know what it was, but he got too fat to work, and rather than make some changes in his life, he quit his job. That's when his mother threw him out. 

I don't disagree that at this point he's used to being dependent and isolated and is afraid, at age 34, to resume being an adult. 

My impression was that he just worked fast-food when he dropped out of high school for a couple months, and probably not even full time.  It doesn't sound like being an adult, but rather trying to obey Mom until he decided it's easier to go live with Dad.  

1 minute ago, ShortyMac said:

It's clear that Casey doesn't want this surgery. He doesn't want to change; he feels forced into it because of his other family members.

I agree!

• Love 8
Just now, dreadfulLeigh said:

I’m finding it difficult to muster ANY sympathy for Baby Casey. I get being scared of surgery (been there, done that) and the added stress of being morbidly obese, but he is one of the most unsympathetic characters on the TLC morbidly obese train wrecks. 

Absolutely!  Maybe that's why we are getting all the nice success stories on 600-lb life while this family is on this show so we don't get two really, really unlikeable personalities on the same day!

• Love 5
Just now, Pepper Mostly said:

Casey's weeping for all the cheeseburgers he won't get to eat now. 

Yeah, somewhere there's a herd of cattle breathing a huge sigh of relief. 

I think Casey may be scared.

His previous job was fast food, but after he hit about 500 lbs., he had to quit because he just couldn't do it any more.    I bet that store's profits shot up the second he left their employ.  

OMG!   His real first name is Steven!    

Now that's how you know your really big, they can't fit you in a scanner.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Absolutely!  Maybe that's why we are getting all the nice success stories on 600-lb life while this family is on this show so we don't get two really, really unlikeable personalities on the same day!

So if this is the last episode for the King family then the rest of the M6PL season should be good!

• Love 5
On 2/3/2019 at 10:37 PM, MakingBacon said:

I think Casey is resistant to losing weight because he would then be forced to go out into the world. He likely finds it frightening. Where do you start when you have never held a job or had any adult responsibility at that age? I don’t even know how you fill out an application and explain the lack of work history. People will just think you spent time in prison. Does he even have any friends? Honestly, if I was in his position, I would find a support group for people of his size because they would likely understand why he has stayed inside. The one problem is that his cousins seem to have no problem getting up and going to work, making friends and just living their lives, so it’s hard to take him seriously about why his weight is holding him back. He is also very mobile so it should be easier for him to do exercise and lose weight. 

Perfectly explains Casey.....I agree with you

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

So if this is the last episode for the King family then the rest of the M6PL season should be good!

Maybe!  Last season's Family by the Ton were all really likeable, so TLC must counterbalance them with someone deliciously delusional!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Amy has the cutest outfits!

She is adorable, and looks so put-together.  Every time I see her, I mentally contrast her with so many of the M600LBL contestants with no make-up and unwashed hair who lay on a filthy mattress in a stained shirt and no pants.  

• Love 11

I loved Dr. Proctor talking to Casey about how the doctor never feels it when he removes a drain.  

I'm so happy for Amanda, and that her cancer is holding steady, and is contained.    On a shallow note, I wish Amy would do something about Amanda's hair, Amy's is so cute, and Amanda's isn't great.  

Wow!   I hope Amanda heals, and moves on from her father's awful words.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

I haven’t watched this from the beginning so I’m confused about Amanda’s cancer. Isn’t a hysterectomy a laprascopic procedure? If she could have the weight loss surgery why couldn’t she have the hysterectomy too? Is it done differently when it’s for cancer?

2 minutes ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

Omfg, these editors 😂. “You can really tell casey’s Lost weight. Look at his face!”

pans to casey’s Dead eye, slack jawed expressionless face. *dead*. 

Ikr. 🙄

Is there someone out there with more medical knowledge than me (i.e. probably everyone) who can enlighten me why she's not having a hysterectomy NOW? If she was healthy enough to have the sleeve surgery I would think she'd be healthy enough to have the hysterectomy. Something about her story is really...off to me.

Just now, 3girlsforus said:

I haven’t watched this from the beginning so I’m confused about Amanda’s cancer. Isn’t a hysterectomy a laprascopic procedure? If she could have the weight loss surgery why couldn’t she have the hysterectomy too? Is it done differently when it’s for cancer?

It is different when it's cancer because they have to take a good look around.  And even if it is not cancer but benign tumors, it's still  can be super-complicated procedure (unlike hysterectomy done as a form of permanent birth control).   My friend's took 8 hours and left her pretty much split in half along the white line. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Giant Misfit said:

Is there someone out there with more medical knowledge than me (i.e. probably everyone) who can enlighten me why she's not having a hysterectomy NOW? If she was healthy enough to have the sleeve surgery I would think she'd be healthy enough to have the hysterectomy. Something about her story is really...off to me.

I was thinking the same thing. 

• Love 2

I'm skeptical of this "reveal" story too. Were all of these people living in a cave while they lost weight? If not, I'm fairly certain their friends would have noticed it prior to this stupid party. 

Related: I can't even imagine that Casey has a friend.

Just now, Hellga said:

It is different when it's cancer because they have to take a good look around.  And even if it is not cancer but benign tumors, it's still  can be super-complicated procedure (unlike hysterectomy done as a form of permanent birth control).   My friend's took 8 hours and left her pretty much split in half along the white line. 

Wow - I didn’t realize that. Thanks for the information. Hopefully she can get it done soon.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ShortyMac said:

Is it just me, or does anyone feel that is disrespectful of Amanda sitting on that grave marker?

I think it's a bench, not a grave marker.  I am more used to seeing cemeteries with benches than without, the ones that just have flat plaques on the ground always feel not quite real to me.

• Love 3