Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My guesses for the next episode:  Casey doesn't get the surgery just yet but he is starting to improve a little bit.  Amanda's cancer has shrunk or turned out to not have been cancer at all and she is super excited.  Amy actually managed to complete the race and feels awesome. 

I am looking forward to getting an update on the last season's family, I liked them.

1 minute ago, DC Gal in VA said:

So they're going to make us wait until next week for Casey's weight? Ugh. BTW, how much did he weigh before thisveeigh-in.

Oh shit, M600PL is showing Sean's first episode now. Gotta change the channel like now!

I will say he lost 20-25 pounds, not enough to get surgery but shows some improvement.  Let's say, 690.

• Love 4

I'll never understand these people in their 30's that actually want to stay in their parent's house.  I had an awesome relationship with my parents but I still couldn't wait to get the hell out and grow up.  Granted I'm Gen X so if you just worked a 40 hour week job you could afford to live on your own.  Maybe not in the best place in the world but you could do it.  I'm not ignorant enough to think the millennials  can do that now, but damn by the time you are in your mid to early 30's it should be natural to want to GTFO of your parents house! 

• Love 15

They do have shorter Spartan races, most have the big race with obstacles on all lengths, but 4-6 hours is a big mistake for a rookie like Amy.      I hope she did a lot more training, and for a longer period than they showed on TV.     

I bet Casey thinks his parents will finance him forever, because he has barely been employed, and there is no way he will ever be able to finance his own place, a car, utilities, and furnishings,   I suspect that Casey will never be successful at anything except being a big spoiled man-baby.      

I'm so glad Amy is doing so well, and from the previews, Amanda is getting good news about her cancer diagnosis.     However, I still loath Ed, and especially Casey.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Man his going on and on and on and no about "being called out" was insane! He blew it up into way way more than it was. Poor Me! Poor Me! I'm so nice to everyone!  Yeah if you stay fat you can be a baby until your 70 (but you won't lilve that long) and not get a job or pay a bill or have a check book.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Hellga said:

A personal trainer is good, but if I were Casey, I would have sought someone who has worked with morbidly obese people before...

I wondered about that, too.  The trainer was a sweet guy, but he said he'd never worked with anyone as big as Casey before.  I wonder how he knew when to stop pushing?  I mean, I'm sure the gym required a doctor's clearance, right, before they'd let Casey work out, but that could be just a permission slip without any specifics like limiting strain on his heart.

19 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

So they're going to make us wait until next week for Casey's weight? Ugh. BTW, how much did he weigh before thisveeigh-in.

Oh shit, M600PL is showing Sean's first episode now. Gotta change the channel like now!

On Demand shows his weight at the end of this episode but damned if I can remember it for sure.

Spoiler

I want to say it was 611; I do remember that it was enough for him to qualify for WLS.

On 1/31/2019 at 5:47 PM, Mothra said:

On Demand shows his weight at the end of this episode but damned if I can remember it for sure.

I thought it showed 618, but  I didn't take away any real meaning from it, because I doubt it was the true final number.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Twopper said:

I thought it showed 618, but  I didn't take away any real meaning from it, because I doubt it was the true final number.  

I had that same thought, at the end it appeared that his weight was 618, but then remembered how they like to try to fool us.

• Love 1
On 1/30/2019 at 10:43 PM, Hellga said:

Ah.  Casey isn't really interested in independence!  And it's not weight that stops someone from having a bank account!  His issues obviously go far beyond his obesity.

Well the weight kept him from getting a good, then any, job, so he wouldn't have have anything to put in the bank. 

• Love 1
On 1/31/2019 at 9:18 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Casey is a spoiled, petulant man baby. His truculent pout when anyone dares to point out that in order to lose weight you have to, you know, not eat cheeseburgers shows his real age, which seems to be about eight.

^^^  This. Casey IS a man baby. It makes me think about some of the comments made about Holly on the 600 lb show. Why do parents encourage and condone this type of behavior in their children? Is the (overweight) parent getting something in return? Maybe someone who will never leave them? Maybe someone to indulge their own food addiction with? The family dynamics just boggle my mind. 

My son is 33, but he learned to do his laundry and iron when he was 8. By the time he was 12 he was responsible for planning and cooking dinner twice a week (alternated with his younger sister) and the nights he didn’t cook he was responsible for cleaning the kitchen after his sister cooked. I was there and supervised of course, but the food choice was his. We ate at the table together and Dad was not home because he was working. Driving through for fast food was not an option, although we had a few on our corner. No one laid in bed naked playing video games.

I wasn’t a perfect Mom, I worked full time and was bone tired, but we didn’t have to resort to drive thru all the time. SMH.

• Love 8

I think Casey is resistant to losing weight because he would then be forced to go out into the world. He likely finds it frightening. Where do you start when you have never held a job or had any adult responsibility at that age? I don’t even know how you fill out an application and explain the lack of work history. People will just think you spent time in prison. Does he even have any friends? Honestly, if I was in his position, I would find a support group for people of his size because they would likely understand why he has stayed inside. The one problem is that his cousins seem to have no problem getting up and going to work, making friends and just living their lives, so it’s hard to take him seriously about why his weight is holding him back. He is also very mobile so it should be easier for him to do exercise and lose weight. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, MakingBacon said:

The one problem is that his cousins seem to have no problem getting up and going to work, making friends and just living their lives, so it’s hard to take him seriously about why his weight is holding him back.

So many questions. I might need to rewatch this episode again. His parents are huge enablers and maybe they are still indulging him because of their guilt over the divorce. What parent allows and thinks it’s ok for their (over) grown son to lay naked in the bed playing video games all day and night? Maybe the cousins don’t have family or besties that enable them so they must go out and about to support themselves?

• Love 3
On 2/3/2019 at 10:37 PM, MakingBacon said:

I think Casey is resistant to losing weight because he would then be forced to go out into the world. He likely finds it frightening. Where do you start when you have never held a job or had any adult responsibility at that age? I don’t even know how you fill out an application and explain the lack of work history. People will just think you spent time in prison. Does he even have any friends? Honestly, if I was in his position, I would find a support group for people of his size because they would likely understand why he has stayed inside. The one problem is that his cousins seem to have no problem getting up and going to work, making friends and just living their lives, so it’s hard to take him seriously about why his weight is holding him back. He is also very mobile so it should be easier for him to do exercise and lose weight. 

But Casey did have a job. We don't know what it was, but he got too fat to work, and rather than make some changes in his life, he quit his job. That's when his mother threw him out. 

I don't disagree that at this point he's used to being dependent and isolated and is afraid, at age 34, to resume being an adult. 

• Love 5
Just now, Hellga said:

Casey actually made some progress.  Color me surprised!  Dr. Procter's goals are way easier than Dr. Now's though!

He still makes me want punch him in the face. And I am not a violent person. 

I haven’t had the attention span or wakefulness to watch’s the past couple for episodes. Did Casey move in with his mom?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

But Casey did have a job. We don't know what it was, but he got too fat to work, and rather than make some changes in his life, he quit his job. That's when his mother threw him out. 

I don't disagree that at this point he's used to being dependent and isolated and is afraid, at age 34, to resume being an adult. 

I believe he said he had restaurant jobs before he got too big to work.

• Love 3

I still hate Ed.    

Casey is still a jerk.   I think he worked fast food, but I could be wrong.

I love how happy, and good Amy looks.       Amanda looks good too.    

The whole point of a Spartan race is to cooperate and get each other through, she'll have a lot of support from the other racers.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I still hate Ed.    

Casey is still a jerk.

I love how happy, and good Amy looks.       Amanda looks good too.    

The whole point of a Spartan race is to cooperate and get each other through, she'll have a lot of support from the other racers.  

Ok, I did not know that. I was wondering why everyone seemed so...slow? For a race lol

Edited by dreadfulLeigh
  • Love 2

I’m terrified of heights. I am super impressed that Amy is doing this. 

Edited to add - Hey Whitney - this is an accomplishment - not the crap you expect a standing ovation for.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, ThereButFor said:

The only reason he lost weight is because he was living with Mom and she fed him according to the diet.  Still can’t stand that miserable waste of oxygen.

Yes.  I don't know if he would have lost anything if his Mom wasn't hounding him every minute of every day!

• Love 5

The Spartan races don't have everyone leave at once.    The professionals at it, the elite level do the entire race, and some are even longer than this one.      The regular competitors leave after the pros do, and that way the teams, and beginners can take their time.  

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I’m a horrible person. I am not happy for Casey. He’s horrible. 

He reminds me of Steven Assanti, honestly.  Maybe not quite that vile, but similar attitude.  At least he hasn't thrown pee at anyone.  

• Love 9

If they stopped showing Casey right now, I wouldn't care.    I don't care how much weight he loses, his parents will be stuck with him forever, and he'll always be a jerk.   

Ed can just leave too.    

I'm more worried about Amanda, and her medical issues.  

I guess next week will be the start of Season 2 of the family from next year.   I can't wait to see the update, because I really liked all of them.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 13
8 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

But Casey did have a job. We don't know what it was, but he got too fat to work, and rather than make some changes in his life, he quit his job.

Didn't he work in fast food? Or am I just thinking that he worked at eating fast food? Or have I confused him with the eleventy million other people on these TLC shows who worked in a fast-food restaurant and are now featured on shows featuring people eating fast food?