Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This six-part series starts on TLC (because of course) on Wednesday January 10 at 10 pm. The show follows a family a morbidly obese cousins trying to lose weight with the assistance of a Dr Procter because, presumably, Dr Now was busy "helping" other people.

Per TVGuide.com

Series premiere. Morbidly obese cousins are eating themselves to death, and without weight loss surgery their lives could be cut short, but Beverly, the family matriarch, has surgery in part to inspire the others to do the same.

So far, the members of the family seem incredibly self aware and intelligent. Hopefully, they'll be more successful in their weight loss than the average person featured on other TLC weight loss shows.

3 minutes ago, LordOfLotion said:

Here we go with the hot plate in the bed.

Whatever she cooked looked pretty good in the end!

Still not worth the potential 3-alarm fire though.

Just now, PeaceLily2 said:

What happened to the fabric on the ceiling of that car?

when the fabric starts coming off of the ceiling of a car like that, usually you end up just pulling it off. You can try to fight it with adhesive spray, but it's generally a losing battle. Most of the time the car is so old that taking it someplace to fix it is not worth the money or trouble.

• Love 2

This looks to be way different from what I thought initially. The online info someone posted awhile back labeled the family as fun lovers, not letting their weight stop their living, now this looks more like a variation on my 600 lb Life. Good. These people need to be concerned about their weight (the stomach on that poor 42 yr old guy!). 

I think I'm in this for at least another show or two. They seem interesting and more like people I might know, compared to the folks on My 600 Lb Life. Whatever their weight, I don't think any of them are getting hosed off on the back porch.

• Love 15

Naomi is gorgeous. And I just can't look at Drew in those sweatpants with his stomach/scrotum and not be reminded of the other TLC superstar -- the guy with the obese scrotum who toted his parts around in backwards sweatshirt. 

Liking this family though! 

So Chitoka's sister thinks that Chitoka  should lose weight the "natural" way?? The woman is cooking food on a hot plate..in her bed!!  Get a frickin clue.  That will never happen.

Edited by Swiss
  • Love 16
7 hours ago, Swiss said:

So Chitoka's sister thinks that Chitoka  should lose weight the "natural" way?? The woman is cooking food on a hot plate..in her bed!!  Get a frickin clue.  That will never happen.

I also think there’s some denial going on with the sister (I cannot remember her name) that she’s an enabler. She probably thinks because she is slim that she’s not a part of this problem, but Chitoka CANNOT WALK and she is bringing her the unhealthy food. Ummmhmmmm

I don’t doubt she cares for her sister, but she isn’t helping her by enabling the bad behaviors. 

9 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Naomi is gorgeous. And I just can't look at Drew in those sweatpants with his stomach/scrotum and not be reminded of the other TLC superstar -- the guy with the obese scrotum who toted his parts around in backwards sweatshirt. 

Liking this family though! 

I’m oddly flattered because I thought Naomi looked like me (a much heavier me but facially a lot like me)- awww. 

Drew has GOT to be uncomfortable. I am surprised he was an athlete in his youth. Good for Naomi thinking of her future and the goals for her life and getting assistance before she is disabled by her weight. 

I am liking this family too. Refreshing to see a black family on tv talking about their weight, treating each other with kindness and respect but not afraid to address what needs to change. 

• Love 20

The way Drew carries his weight, his face doesn't suggest that he's morbidly obese.  I'm thinking he could pass Catfish's Skype/facetime test.
The lower half of his body looks like he'd be in pain a lot.
In the promo for next week, was that a hearse or coroner's wagon leaving?  I hope not, and especially not Beverly.
And I tried to get the number of pizzas that made it to the dinner, and wasn't sure if it was 5 or 6.  No way was it the 8 (of 10) they said they'd bring.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, auntjess said:

The way Drew carries his weight, his face doesn't suggest that he's morbidly obese.  I'm thinking he could pass Catfish's Skype/facetime test.
The lower half of his body looks like he'd be in pain a lot.
In the promo for next week, was that a hearse or coroner's wagon leaving?  I hope not, and especially not Beverly.
And I tried to get the number of pizzas that made it to the dinner, and wasn't sure if it was 5 or 6.  No way was it the 8 (of 10) they said they'd bring.

Yes. I’m a fat woman (5’7 16/18 size) with a thin face. When I was smaller (for a hot second) my face looked gaunt. During online dating I made sure to give lots of full body shots so there would be NO confusion.

Drew has got to be in pain- his panus flap is touching his knees! It’s a struggle just to shower properly. He’s a handsome man with a warm smile, it’s good his weight has not sucked the life out of him but he knows he needs help (or he wouldn’t have agreed to be on the show most likely). 

Could the promo be a fake out? I’m rooting for Momma Beverly and Naomi. 

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Whatever she cooked looked pretty good in the end!

Still not worth the potential 3-alarm fire though.

It does look good, there's just way too much of it going in her mouth 

29 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes. I’m a fat woman (5’7 16/18 size) with a thin face. When I was smaller (for a hot second) my face looked gaunt. During online dating I made sure to give lots of full body shots so there would be NO confusion.

Drew has got to be in pain- his panus flap is touching his knees! It’s a struggle just to shower properly. He’s a handsome man with a warm smile, it’s good his weight has not sucked the life out of him but he knows he needs help (or he wouldn’t have agreed to be on the show most likely). 

Could the promo be a fake out? I’m rooting for Momma Beverly and Naomi. 

I TA. they are a very good looking family, face wise.

• Love 1

TLC has released the second episode early on its streaming service:

Stressed out Naomi struggles with her liquid diet & may hit her breaking point. Drew wants to have the weight loss surgery, but when he steps on a scale he's thrown off entirely. Bedbound Chitoka takes a big step & asks Dr. Procter for a house call.

This thread will contain spoilers so read at your own risk if you want to avoid them.  

This episode will air on January 17 in its normal time slot at 10 PM Eastern on TLC. 

One thing I'll say for Chitoka, at least she's flexible, being able to do the splits in bed like that.

I am looking foward to seeing if this family succeeds, will be a nice change compared to other TLC shows.

• Love 9

What is the point for this show? Will we watch everyone get WLS? Will the brother get skin surgery? Will some lose weight via diet? Will we watch them sitting around at family meals talking about their weight?

I'm not anti the show, I'm just trying to figure out what they're going to do each week.

• Love 1

I really like this show.  I know, sounds crazy, but, I thought it was rather interesting.  One reason is that I know quite a few people IRL who have obesity throughout the family like the one featured on this show.  It's amazing how the culture of the family is based on poor nutrition, gorging food, and immobility due to obesity.  It's like the family thing.  It's quite a phenomenon.  

What gets me with some of the young men who are super, morbidly obese is how in the world are they okay with not having sex?  I would imagine that would be a big motivator, but, what do I know. Maybe, he's getting it from somewhere, but, I don't see how it would be possible.  Yet, he doesn't seem very concerned about his size. 

And with that many obese people in the same room grazing on very unfriendly food, I would think it would be uncomfortable to watch.  I sense that's why the one cousin, who has had surgery, lashed out at the largest male cousin.  I get how it would be frustrating.  

They must make pizza much better in other parts of the country than where I live, because, I've never had pizza that was that tasty.  I man, it's sauce, bread and a little cheese.  Why is that so awesome?  I just don't get it.  I can understand feasting on dishes like prime rib, shrimp, lobster, crab legs, pasta, but, pizza?  lol 

Where is this filmed? I read that the doctor is in Atlanta, but, another place said SC.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, aliya said:

What is the point for this show?

I think it's meant to be some of all you mentioned, showing that when all or most of a family is obese, they may be able to make losing weight work by a joint effort.
We see on 600 Lb Life how many times to 600 lber is not much heavier than others in the family.
And I really hope Drew is able to get skin surgery.  He reminds me of 600lb Tracey, who didn't need weight-loss surgery after she did her pre-surgery loss, and got the lymphodema or lipodemas removed.

• Love 1

I like this family and hope they do well on their weight loss journey. When so many members of the same family are dealing with the same problem, it can simply become “the way we are.”  But they all seem very smart, articulate and self-aware of their personal issues. 

• Love 7

I wonder if the lady who fries meat in her bed actually realizes what a huge, and risky practice that is.  If she only knew how traumatic and life threatening a severe burn is, especially, for people who have other health problems.  I know of a lady who suffered burns from coffee on her lap.  It was handed to her at a drive thru. ( People laugh about getting burned that way, like it's not serious, but, it is. ) This lady suffered greatly and underwent months of recovery.  And infections can kill you.  A pan full of hot meat would likely be even more damaging. I hope they don't show that again.  It made me very uncomfortable. 

It seems that this family, like so many others in our society is very used to morbid obesity.  It's not that unacceptable or they would have addressed it long ago.  So, let's hope that we do see them get better. I am interested to see just how crucial (or not) therapy is in their road to recovery.  Is there obesity due to their DNA, environment or both.  Is this addiction something in their head that they have to work out in therapy?

I am relieved that we don't have anyone claiming that they barely eat anything and still stay over 400 pounds. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I am relieved that we don't have anyone claiming that they barely eat anything and still stay over 400 pounds. 

Oh god yes! 

It is my PERSONAL pet peeve when fat people claim they do not eat. I am fat and I love to eat- I eat quite a bit, several times a day, and I’m no where near 400lbs!! I don’t understand this phenomenon at all. 

I do have to say that 1. I eat real meals, at a table, with a knife and fork and a napkin (even though I live alone), and I much enjoy planning what I am going to eat. 2. Most of my food is ACTUAL FOOD, not food product in packages.

I have a friend (we had the same personal trainer who thought we’d get along very well), whom I love dearly (she had the gastric sleeve a year ago) but I have no idea how she and her family got so fat eating the nasty food in their house. Like there is no food there!! There are no spices, the only actual food is milk and berries (she likes berries). She cannot cook (at all), and her parents are both obese and had been for sometime. I don’t know how this happened because when I visit her I know I’m going to be hungry (lots of processed carb snack things I do not care for). 

I want to see some real cooking in this family- I am sure some members can throw down, they just need to change the recipes to make it more conducive to weight loss. 

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder if the lady who fries meat in her bed actually realizes what a huge, and risky practice that is.  If she only knew how traumatic and life threatening a severe burn is, especially, for people who have other health problems.  I know of a lady who suffered burns from coffee on her lap.  It was handed to her at a drive thru. ( People laugh about getting burned that way, like it's not serious, but, it is. ) This lady suffered greatly and underwent months of recovery.  And infections can kill you.  A pan full of hot meat would likely be even more damaging. I hope they don't show that again.  It made me very uncomfortable. 

If that vat of boiling oil were to tip over, the whole house could go up in flames (this is gross, but between her fat, the bedding, POOF).  Marla (who she almost looks like) from M600L did the same thing, only they used a rickety card table with only two legs in use and the other two folded up and the table rested on her fat.  Not only that, cooking in oil STINKS!  My sister made some fried things for Christmas Eve and her outdoor fryer broke so she did it in her kitchen.  My hair STUNK so bad that when I got home I had to wash it and two days later, you could still smell it in the kitchen.  She vowed never to fry in the house again.

That McDonalds million dollar suit for hot coffee that everyone laughs about was really no joke and that woman was seriously injured (that TrueTV show Adam Ruins Everything explains it well).

• Love 5

You're right.  IMO, most of these super morbidly obese persons are actually malnourished.  Their food consumption consists mainly of processed stuff that holds little nutritional value.  Their diet reminds me of what a child might go for and not an adult.  Like, chicken nuggets (fried processed chicken or other meat), fries, pizza, etc.).  I couldn't tell what the lady concocted, while cooking in her bed.  Was that ground turkey?  You know, I eat that a lot and it can be used in good ways.  I think she added a lot of junk to it that may have messed it up, though.    

At least half of my plate is full of veggies and most people think that is odd. My veggies are the stars of my meal.   I know few people who actually eat a lot of veggies with their meals. Why do vegetables get such a bad wrap?  I think that green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, etc. are delicious.  To me, if the family members don't like and enjoy REAL food, their chances are slim.  

Does anyone have experience of life after bariatric surgery?  I hope that they will show more of how those in the family, who have had the surgery, subsist and how they deal with the new reality.  I know quite a few people who have had it and they have varying outcomes.  Some gain it back, others are very sick and others don't seem to have much change. I find that odd.  I guess it depends on what type you get, sleeve, bypass, etc. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6

@SunnyBeBe I enjoy vegetables a lot too! (I’m a vegetarian) this phenomenon of “produce going bad” doesn’t happen in my house, I love produce. Of course I am fat and I eat a lot (I’m going to lose 15lbs in 8 weeks because I indulged every single desire for baked goods over the holidays and umm no), but I understand getting fat because your portions are too large and you are sedentary- I don’t understand getting fat eating cardboard meals all the time. Of course everyone likes junk sometimes, but real food makes me feel better and more energetic. 

As someone who’s been overweight or obese since the age of 2 I know I need to watch it so I do. I also make sure I go to the dr to make sure my numbers are good. (I am very healthy) Maybe it’s a bit of envy on my part, but how do these former athletes get so big so FAST? 7-10lbs a year as the middle age spread is 100lbs over ten years, not 200lbs every 10 years (like Drew), or 200lbs in 10years like Naomi. I guess that joke is true “if you want to now the calories in something ask a big girl”.

Chitoka should not be allowed to cook in bed. I’m sorry- when it gets to the point where you cannot walk to the kitchen due to your weight you will eat what your caregiver brings you. 

• Love 3

Oh yes, that's another issue with the family.  The one who is bed bound gets her food brought in by her sister, right.  Well, I know that family dynamics are complex, but, I always shake my head when the enablers bring in the crap to the disabled, super, morbidly obese patient.  I hate to say it, but, it's so spineless.  SO WHAT IF THEY get angry? LEAVE if you don't want to hear the flack.  If they didn't have the enablers, they would have to go into a facility, where there demands would not be catered to.  So, there is really is a solution, but, the enabler won't dare do it. 

Why not present the patient with nutritious and health meals and snacks.  It's what they get and that's it.  If they are unhappy, they can lose weight, get mobile and then get what they want on their own.  If they bark, curse, threaten, so what?  Just leave the room and let them stew. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 8

So true,  the sister started off by saying "she knows there are certain items on her food list I won't bring". She then calls and ask her what potato chips she want.  Then when you see the groceries there are all junk food items.

There has got to be some mental issues going on in the family.

How can that daughter say the mother is setting an example by having the surgery.  That what she is proud of!  Not educating herself with proper nutrition and exercise but by going under the knife at her age!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

@SunnyBeBe I enjoy vegetables a lot too! (I’m a vegetarian) ... 

I guess that joke is true “if you want to now the calories in something ask a big girl”.

That's funny.  I follow 'What F.A.T. Vegans Eat' on FB and a young woman named Edyn Jacks (a fat vegan) on YT.  Vegetables, pasta, rice, potatoes, beans, cakes, candies, pizza, hot dogs, burgers...  People think veg*ns don't eat good food or that you can't have weight issues, but the food is great and yes, all veg*ns aren't skinny minnies. Someone posted a picture of a veg*n buffet this morning and it was just wonderful. I don't understand how people can say they don't eat vegetables or could never go without meat.  If some of these folks would just open their minds about food (and I'm not saying they need to give up meat), they might not be slim, but it's doubtful they would have reached 600 lbs.

Kind of along the line of the people cooking in bed and possible accidents - I knew someone whose mother was trying to kill bees. She had a pot of boiling water with bleach in it (this must be some kind of country thing). She tripped on the stairs and the concoction landed on her. She wound up hospitalized. Can you imagine getting burned with boiling bleach? Jeez.  Why anyone would cook in bed is beyond me. Fire, fat, bedding, & immobility are nothing to mess around with.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, joh said:

How can that daughter say the mother is setting an example by having the surgery.  That what she is proud of!  Not educating herself with proper nutrition and exercise but by going under the knife at her age!

I think what Naomi was saying is that MommaBeverly was acknowledging her problem and taking steps to fix it, and live a healthier life. Rather than playing the victim or letting the problem get worse.

Yes of course it’s best to never gain that much weight in the first place, but once it’s on making steps to change IS taking responsibility. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

At least half of my plate is full of veggies and most people think that is odd. My veggies are the stars of my meal.   I know few people who actually eat a lot of veggies with their meals. Why do vegetables get such a bad rap?  I think that green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, etc. are delicious.

Most people don't like the taste.  I eat vegetables, but they're pretty bland and the meat portion of my meal is the good part.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Thrifty said:

Most people don't like the taste.  I eat vegetables, but they're pretty bland and the meat portion of my meal is the good part.

This is very much like my plate and I'm childlike in how I eat. I down all of the vegetables first and eat my meat and any starch as the highlight/dessert of the meal. 

• Love 3
On 1/12/2018 at 2:12 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

They must make pizza much better in other parts of the country than where I live, because, I've never had pizza that was that tasty.  I man, it's sauce, bread and a little cheese.  Why is that so awesome?  I just don't get it.  I can understand feasting on dishes like prime rib, shrimp, lobster, crab legs, pasta, but, pizza?  lol  

I love pizza. But two people eating five pizzas? Holy shit. And it was from some chain pizza place to boot. Little Caesar's? 

I've said this before, but the thing I don't get is that these super obese folks all claim to "love food" but they exist on crap chain store pizza, Subway and fast food. Plus gallons and gallons of soda. Chef Paul Prudhomme was enormous, but he ate fantastic food! (and he even lost weight eventually!) If I was going to get to 400 pounds, you can bet I'd do it eating eggs Benedict every day, for starters.  

On 1/13/2018 at 9:01 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I want to see some real cooking in this family- I am sure some members can throw down, they just need to change the recipes to make it more conducive to weight loss. 

Agreed. They are "food, fun, family" types. Jesus, cutting out soda alone would have the weight falling of them, at least for starters. 

That said, I did like them all. They're warm and fun and kind to each other. How refreshing! 

• Love 8

Okay  I get it that some people might not like the taste of veggies.  I guess, I'm lucky, that I do. PLUS, I think that I grew up with people who knew how to prepare the veggies to really make them delicious. I've leaned to do it myself and I swear, if others tasted my veggies, they'd be huge fans too, imo.

I didn't grow up on pizza, so, maybe, that's why I've never been a big fan.  But, even at my hungriest, I can't imagine eating a couple of pizzas as snacks while ON THE WAY to a food function.!  I guess that when you have a huge appetite, you have to stave it off some before you get to a food event, or you eat most of the prepared food.  (Your share and others' share.)

• Love 3
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Okay  I get it that some people might not like the taste of veggies.  I guess, I'm lucky, that I do. PLUS, I think that I grew up with people who knew how to prepare the veggies to really make them delicious. I've leaned to do it myself and I swear, if others tasted my veggies, they'd be huge fans too, imo.

I didn't grow up on pizza, so, maybe, that's why I've never been a big fan.  But, even at my hungriest, I can't imagine eating a couple of pizzas as snacks while ON THE WAY to a food function.!  I guess that when you have a huge appetite, you have to stave it off some before you get to a food event, or you eat most of the prepared food.  (Your share and others' share.)

I think that's the key right there.  My mom was old school and she would (still does) boil the shit out of any vegetable. I mean cook it to death! We would have been better served drinking the water after she took the broccoli out of the pot,

I feel connected to these people. They remind me of more than half of my southern family members.  Eating is a way of life for them.  It's how they connect.  And God help the family member that decides to make a healthier choice for their life. They'll be met with scorn and ridicule the whole way.  It's as if the larger members take it personally if you don't want to be overweight anymore.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes I think when you get to the point of someone like Drew- your hunger receptors are all thrown out of wack. You are HUNGRY, you’re not “faking it”. Think of the more extreme version of a normal sized person with a sweet tooth who buys a candy bar one at a time rather than a case at Costco, because if they eat one they will want more and if it’s in the house they will end up eating a candy bar a day. That’s why the surgery is successful short term- it lets people get the weight off quick enough to get their mobility back and gives them time to get to the root of their emotional issues to food. 

2 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

I feel connected to these people. They remind me of more than half of my southern family members.  Eating is a way of life for them.  It's how they connect.  And God help the family member that decides to make a healthier choice for their life. They'll be met with scorn and ridicule the whole way.  It's as if the larger members take it personally if you don't want to be overweight anymore.

I know what you mean and I understand that mentality. I’ve been fat my entire life, so I understand the importance of self acceptance but Drew can barely move or bathe properly without assistance (not saying he’s unclean but how do his arms fit around his panus flap?) Chitoka is BED BOUND- this is not okay. Changes need to happen. Much love to Naomi for thinking about her future and her desire to be a mother- she is willing to make a change. I think people who are really comfortable with themselves would be supportive, but often the family members who are ridiculing others are the most insecure about their weight. 

• Love 3

how in the world are they okay with not having sex?

Every time I see a man with a hanging pannus, I think about this. In theory, I get that everyone has a different rock bottom, denial is strong, etc. In practice, though, there had to be one morning when you had to lift your belly to get to your cock. Every man on earth cares about his penis, whether he's having sex or not. They want to masturbate; they need to pee. How does this not serve as a wake-up call for them? You have to really love pizza to sacrifice your access to your cock.

I always shake my head when the enablers bring in the crap to the disabled, super, morbidly obese patient.

It makes you realize how dependent the enabler is on the addict. They're trapped, too. Something makes it emotionally impossible for them to walk away.

This show reminds me how screwed up my standards have become after years of watching. I'm so used to the 600-pounders, I'm like, Naomi only needs to lose 20 pounds for the surgery? She has a mere 200-pound weight-loss goal? Why, that's not so bad! (Meanwhile, if a doctor told me I had to lose TEN pounds, I'd be overwhelmed.)

• Love 13

Something that annoys me about the thinner sister is how she says she's against the surgery and would rather Chitoka lose weight the natural weight YET continues to bring her tons of fatty food. How is she going to lose weight the "natural" way if you keep bringing her unnatural unhealthy food??

• Love 19

Something that annoys me about the thinner sister is how she says she's against the surgery and would rather Chitoka lose weight the natural weight YET continues to bring her tons of fatty food. How is she going to lose weight the "natural" way if you keep bringing her unnatural unhealthy food??

Yes indeed.....that's why I think that there's a (probably subconscious) desire for thinner sister to stay in that position vis-a-vis her fatter sister, so she is sabotaging in actuality (buying the bad food) while trying to make herself look good in the voiceover saying something about Chitoka knows better than to ask for any of the foods from the banned foods list.  If barbecued chips are on the acceptable list (which I think is what thinner sister was calling Chitoka about from the store), then it doesn't sound like the banned list is much of a hardship.   

• Love 12