Type keyword(s) to search

Oliver Queen: The Arrow

• Start Topic

Maybe he tricked the ones he didn't totally trust into getting it.  I still wonder the tattoo would be the perfect time to slip a transmitter or something on them to keep track of it.  

• Love 3

I think I wrote in the live thread or the episode thread how I don't see Oliver ever proposing a group tattoo. Was he all - hey guys, I've got a great idea! Was he doodling during a meeting and decided it would be a great tattoo? I have yet to even imagine a scenario where this would happen. 

Until proven otherwise, and probably even after I'm proven wrong, I will continue to think that the Canaries are the Big Bads of the future and anything Dinah says is an exaggeration, lie, or some combination of the two. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

Until proven otherwise, and probably even after I'm proven wrong, I will continue to think that the Canaries are the Big Bads of the future and anything Dinah says is an exaggeration, lie, or some combination of the two. 

I’d love to see that happen, but it would mean strange things for the present time line.

It could be interesting to see. Black Canary vs. Green Arrow for a whole season, but I’m crushed that she’s still there and no one has said boo about where Oliver is in this future timeline.

• Love 2

Yeah, I get the joke that the meme was going for, [Oliver having but one expression, anger] but it's inaccurate at best and insulting at worst.

It clings to the mythous of a season one Oliver when he was not letting himself really feel things most of the time.  But SA's/Oliver's happy heart eyes outshine anyone's and when he goes for sad it's just devastating.  GG and MB are wonderful at their jobs.  But for me, I've always felt that SA with his acting choices, reaches higher highs and lower lows.  And he doesn't get the credit he should.    

• Love 9

I don't think it was ever completely true but it's especially ridiculous when the last few minutes of the finale are the most recent example of Oliver Queen. Stoic and unemotional that was not. Honestly, I don't even get the memes because by the time Barry and especially Kara existed in the Arrowverse, the unemotional Oliver was largely gone. It just feels like another unnecessary way to shit on Oliver/SA.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

But for me, I've always felt that SA with his acting choices, reaches higher highs and lower lows.  And he doesn't get the credit he should.    

Just as Oliver achieved more than what Barry and Kara with their superpowers did.

• Love 10

2012 casting announcement for Oliver Queen...

Stephen Amell Is Green Arrow: Lands Title Role In CW Drama Pilot 'Arrow'
Nellie Andreeva  Jan. 31, 2012
https://deadline.com/2012/01/stephen-amell-is-green-arrow-lands-title-role-in-cw-drama-pilot-arrow-223663/

EXCLUSIVE: One of the highest-profile young lead roles this pilot season has gone to Stephen Amell. In a potential star-making turn, Amell has been cast in the title role of the CW drama pilot Arrow. In the Warner Bros TV-produced project, described as a modern retelling of the story of DC Comics character Green Arrow, he will play the vigilante superhero who fights crime using archery, martial arts and technology under his secret identity as Oliver Queen, a wealthy playboy and billionaire industrialist-turned-outspoken politician in Star City. David Nutter is directing the pilot, written/executive produced by Andrew Kreisberg, Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim. Amell is a familiar face at the CW, where he has done arcs on The Vampire Diaries and 90210. He most recently recurred on HBO’s Hung and ABC’s Private Practice and was one of the finalists to replace Andy Whitfield as the lead on Spartacus. Amell is the second actor to portray the Green Arrow on the CW; Justin Hartley played the character on the Smallville for several seasons. Like Nina Dobrev, the breakout star of the CW’s Vampire Diaries, Amell hails from Canada. He is repped by SMS, Leverage and Canada’s Gary Goddard Agency.

Edited by tv echo

About SA's audition...

-- Per David Rapaport, Stephen Amell was the first person who auditioned for Arrow and they tested him "pretty much the next day." He was the only person they tested and "that never, ever happens." Rapaport added that they "got so lucky" with Stephen and that it took them about five weeks to cast the rest of the pilot.
http://www.dailyactor.com/news/casting-director-panel-randi-hiller-lora-kennedy-sharon-bialy-roger-mussenden-david-rapaport/

-- David Rapaport: “I had just cast him on 90210 where he played this war hero who had come home from fighting and we were looking for the ultimate superhero on Arrow and physically he looked the part... We wanted someone with a darkness and an edge to him, but someone who looked like He-Man. I brought his picture with me to the initial meeting for Arrow and everyone responded to the picture and I thought, I should just bring him in first because he’s it — and he was it. That made my life a lot easier. We didn’t test that many people. It was him and nobody else. ... The Vampire Diaries was on the air already, so we were sold as a three-hander between Stephen, Katie Cassidy, and Colin Donnell — a tripod if you will. That’s how we cast it and then the posters came out and Stephen was shirtless. First of all, we never saw him without his shirt on; I knew he was a physical guy, but I’d never seen him do stunts or anything like that and all of a sudden in the pilot, he’s doing his own stunts. He became famous for being shirtless. The poster was him shirtless and none of the other actors were on the poster, and as talented and amazing as they were, it became clear the show was about ‘The Arrow,’ so that really changed the concept for us because initially I saw it as more of an ensemble and cast it that way.”
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/the-man-who-helped-build-the-cw

-- GB: "Yeah, uh, I've never actually had it happen that quickly on a show. Uh, you know, everybody ran down to my office. I said, okay, you know, I had other things I had to go do, and said to Andrew [Kreisberg] and Marc [Guggenheim], if you guys see someone you like, just come back. And I literally walked 10 feet away and it was like two minutes later, you guys were like knocking on my door and I'm like, 'that's - I think you're a little eager... but I'll go in and I'll see whoever.'  And we walked in and Stephen [Amell] was brilliant and - there were two or three scenes he had to do and he - obviously, you know, you're looking for a couple things. You're looking for a great actor that you know can do all the emotion and all the heart and still the damage of this character. And you know that you're also going to have a character who's - he's playing a completely different character on the island. Can he do both those levels? And in addition to that, how much of the DNA of the original character does he sort of - do you feel like you're sorta seeing Oliver Queen when you're sorta around him? And we all kinda had that collective feeling. The thing I'll say is, then the show goes to get advertised and stuff, and they have him shirtless on everywhere that you can see. We did not see him without his shirt in any of the audition process, so he got it because he was a great actor. - (general laughter and applause) - That's why he got the job. He got the job because he's an incredible actor and we, um, and we felt really lucky and blessed to have him. And then in the shooting process, early on in the rehearsal process, David [Nutter] had him doing all sorts of things and we got this video sent to us of what I thought was the stunt person doing stuff, and I was like, 'well, the stunt guy's really ripped,' you know, like 'wow... why is someone sending me this video?' And David said, 'no, that's Stephen.'  And thus, the salmon ladder was born... That was a discovery for us."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNfUCpnByN4

-- AK: "After we met Stephen and he auditioned, everyone else paled by comparison... Every step of the way it was Stephen … he was always Oliver Queen to us."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tca-2012-arrow-dc-comics-comparisons-changes-355824

-- AK: "Usually, when you go into the studio and the network, you go in with multiple choices. We didn't do that. Every step of the way, it was Stephen, Stephen, Stephen. Not just physically but talent-wise, emotionally, you name it, he was always Oliver Queen to us."
http://www.pressreader.com/canada/calgary-herald/20121010/282342562070361

-- MG: "Well, first of all, I can tell you that, although I guess Stephen was kinda under the radar, he wasn't under the radar in that pilot season... We've been working ever since the beginning of Arrow - we've been working with a casting director, David Rapaport, and, uh, David had immediately targeted Stephen. And he basically said - he brought Stephen on Tuesday and he said, 'by Friday, this guy's gonna have a show.' ... And I think this is true for a lot of up-and-coming actors, there are actors who - you know, they do guest spots, they are, as you say, under the radar, and they're - you can tell when they're just ready to pop. Like, you can tell when - okay, these guys or these women have been in enough, you know, guest spots or enough, you know, failed pilots or whatever, and you just know, okay, they're just waiting for their moment. And that particular year was Stephen's moment. And, uh, he was the very first person that they had brought in to show us, he was the first person to audition for any part on Arrow, so it was kind of like, you know, there's nowhere to go but down, quite frankly, once Stephen walked in the door, because it was so clear that the role was for him. I mean, he was perfect for it. And, um, you know, the moment he gave us his audition, we were like, okay, well, now what do we do? How do we keep him from getting, you know, cast by another pilot? How do we make sure that by that Friday comes around, we're the pilot that he's in? Cause it was pretty apparent that he would be in a pilot. His talent was that obvious."
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/geekvibesnation/2018/02/14/geekvibes-live-interview-with-marc-guggenheim

-- MG: "And then the moment we saw Stephen audition for Oliver, who was literally the very first person, uh, who auditioned for any role, um, we knew we would be really okay."
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/comicbookcentral/2018/10/27/249-arrow-and-legends-of-tomorrow-writerproducershowrunner-marc-guggenheim

-- MG: “It was Stephen’s intensity. He just made you believe he was that character... We had crafted Oliver to be this mystery box character, and Stephen somehow managed to find this balance between being totally accessible in a way you would need a TV star to be, but he’s still an enigma.” 
https://ew.com/comic-con/2019/07/17/arrow-final-season-cover-story/

-- On whether he was aware of the comic books before taking the role or whether he had to go back and read up, SA: "I was equally unaware of the character before I auditioned. The audition went very well and so I thought about going and reading a bunch of the comic books [before filming], but then I was almost worried that I would mess things up. It didn’t seem to be broken, so I didn’t want to work too hard on fixing it. We had a creative team and they were so connected with the character that I figured whatever they put on the page and however they directed me would be correct. So I waited until after the pilot and then I read everything."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/29/arrow-cw-stephen-amell_n_1684478.html

-- SA: "I felt very at ease during the audition. I remember every bit of it. So it turns out that Greg Berlanti, who shepherds all of these projects, it was at his office at the WB lot, and he had said to David Rapaport and some of the EPs that were in there, 'Going back to my office, come and get me if there's someone interesting.' And so, of course, I get in there, David Nutter's in there as well, and I read the first two scenes, and he's just leaning real far forward in his seat and staring at me with this sort of weird grin on his face... He said, 'Do you mind waiting outside for a second?' I said, 'Okay.' And they went to Greg's office and were like, 'Greg, we have the guy.' And Greg was like, 'You guys are just excited, you don't have the f**kin' guy, it's been 10 minutes' ... This was after I read. And David came out in the hallway and grabbed me. And I went back into the room and all of a sudden there were 11 or 12 more people in there... And I'm looking for the note, 'What do you guys want me to do? What do you want me to do different?' And David said, 'Could you, uh, start the second scene facing away from us and then turn around?' And I go, 'Um-hmm, is that it?' ... He goes, 'Yeah, sure.' And I did it again, and again no notes... I mean, it was a very serious scene, but I was having fun, sure. And then they're like, 'Okay, thank you.' And I left. And I got a call from my agent - or I called my agent. And I'm like, 'I know this is not how this works. I'm pretty sure that I just got that job in there' ... And then David brought me back a couple times for my audition with Peter Roth and the rest of the WB team, which is a very unique audition. I don't know how it was for you, but you're not - it's not an audition room. You're walking into an office, like an office space with windows and all that stuff, and it's more about - the way that he framed it to me was like, 'Imagine that you're walking out into The Tonight Show. That's what they're looking for. They're looking for you to come into the room, be a little bit out-sized and stare everyone down, and... be a leading man when you walk in there.' ... And David also said to me, 'Peter Roth is a hugger,' which he is. So he goes, 'Walk in there,' and he goes, 'Give him a big hug.' And I did. And he goes, 'Stephen, I hear you're Canadian,' and I said, 'Not today, Mr. Roth. Not today.' And the room laughed, and David just looked at me with two thumbs up and wild eyes... So I think it didn't f**kin' mattered what I did after that."
http://insideofyoupodcast.com/episodes/stephen-amell  

-- SA: "I called [my manager], and I go, ‘I know this is not how it’s supposed to work, but I just got that job.’”
https://ew.com/comic-con/2019/07/17/arrow-final-season-cover-story/

-- SA: "So I went to a hockey game with my cousin Robbie [Amell] on a Saturday night, and he goes, 'Have you gotten an audition for Arrow yet?' And I go, 'No, what’s Arrow?' He goes, 'It’s based on the Green Arrow.' He goes, 'Well, I read the pilot, and I pictured you the entire time that I was reading it.' He’s like, 'I’ve got an audition, but I actually don’t want to go, because you are going to get cast in this role.' I went in [to audition], and David Nutter was there, Marc Guggenheim, Andrew Kreisberg. Greg was in his office, because he was like, 'If you find someone interesting, let me know.' And I went in, read, and Dave Nutter looked at me, and he goes, 'Can you go outside for a couple minutes?' And I go, 'Yeah, for sure.' And I came back into the room, and there are 11 more people there, and they just had me read again….I got the job the following Tuesday morning."
https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/14/arrow-stephen-amell-season-8-interview/

Edited by tv echo