Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: What Death Can Join Together

because I want to see a Sembene vs Passepartout valet-off.

If it were Jackie Chan as Passepartout, that would certainly be most interesting.

About Dorian: methinks it isn't just that he's ridiculously handsome, it's that he is, in the original sense of the word, mesmerizing. You can't help but make out with him once you're in his clutches. With him, you're pretty much compelled to go whole hog and cast your inhibitions to the winds, if you will.

He could be a Skinwalker or a Shapeshifter.  I tend to go for the latter because Skinwalkers, in the Navajo culture are evil witches who are only out to harm others, and while someone is killing people in a wolf-like fashion, he is still capable of loving and kind behavior.

I'll subscribe to this theory.

• Love 1

I finally saw the episode and have numerous questions and comments.

Ethan and Brona.  I think his love and protection of her is very sweet.  I'm just still having a hard time seeing what attracted both Ethan and Dorian.  I think I could buy it more easily if Ethan had been with her before she was sick.  She did have a nice plucky attitude, but God she's rough looking as well as a prostitute.  TB is probably the least of the diseases she's carrying.  Also, I'm a nurse.  I cannot begin to describe how revolting the breath is of a person hacking up blood.  The actress is doing a fine job of portraying illness, but it just makes it harder for me to believe that Ethan is still attracted enough to keep having sex with her.

The early scene of Malcolm and Vanessa was refreshingly absent of pseudo-incestuous tension.  It seemed to convey genuine affection and concern.  I thought Malcolm was protecting Vanessa and happy at the thought of her going out like a normal girl her age.

I finally felt a glimmer of sympathy for Caliban as he sat whimpering over his Chrstine Daae, but he ruined it of course.  I know Frankenstein's monster has super human strength, but when he snatched Van Helsing, he moved with that super-speed that vampires are supposed to have.  The anvil was so obvious when Van Helsing talked about being "destroyed" seconds before Caliban got him.

The plague ship was all kinds of weird.  I'm having a hard time with the vampire lore.  Van Helsing specifically mentioned staking the vampire and then cutting off it's head.  The ship vampires seemed to be killed by gunshots and slashed throats.  Very interesting that the vampires slept through being touched and talked about, but when Malcolm said the name "Mina", every one of their eyes popped open.  That name has some sort of power over them. And one of the vampires seemed to be tearing someone's throat out, but no one was injured at the end.  What was that?

The Dorian/Vanessa sex scene was a total fail for me.  It wasn't rapey, because Vanessa told him to act without asking, because she wanted him to risk the rejection.  That means she knew she would still have the choice to say no.  Now I like erotica as much as the next premium channel subscriber, but it was just too weird for me.  First of all, Vanessa's animal grunting was the same as her experience having sex with air.  She sounds distressingly like Emily Rose crouched in her bedroom snacking on all the bugs she'd collected.  The fact that Dorian routinely keeps a knife tucked under his pillow was extremely odd, as was his lack of concern when Vanessa took the knife and turned it on him.  To then lick up the blood and bite him - yuck, yuck, yuck.

I'm confused by the vampire autopsy.  Vampires are technically dead, so his autopsy should have been all kinds of weird.  Why was Malcolm so dismissive of Victor, telling him he would not be needed on the ship trip?  He was cold to Victor, but I wonder if he was attempting to protect him. 

I do like Ethan's trust of Vanessa, especially because it doesn't seem to have a sexual connection.  One thing I find odd, why do none of these supernatural folks (Vanessa, Ethan, Dorian) sense each other's inhuman qualities?

Irishmaple explained that the Tarot cards Vanessa turned up were accurate to her interpretation.  I just wonder if the moon card was another clue to the audience that Ethan is a werewolf.

Interesting that both Van Helsing and Malcolm feel paternal affection toward Victor.

• Love 2

The fact that Dorian routinely keeps a knife tucked under his pillow was extremely odd, as was his lack of concern when Vanessa took the knife and turned it on him.

It's known that Dorian is invulnerable, and he previously fucked the hell out of Brona when she coughed up blood on him. So that he has some blood fetish isn't OOC from what I've seen from the show so far. It's been shown overall that he's extreme and into risky things like his orgy party and drinking absinthe. 

• Love 1

Reeve Carney who is playing Dorian Gray is 31 years old. I think he's old enough. :)

Dayum! They really did cast the perfect Dorian Gray. Dude stopped aging in his early twenties. So much hotter now that I know he's not a twenty-something. I was pissed that there was no morning after scene between him and Ethan.

(edited)
The Dorian/Vanessa sex scene was a total fail for me.  It wasn't rapey, because Vanessa told him to act without asking, because she wanted him to risk the rejection.  That means she knew she would still have the choice to say no.  Now I like erotica as much as the next premium channel subscriber, but it was just too weird for me.  First of all, Vanessa's animal grunting was the same as her experience having sex with air.

All I could think of while Vanessa and Dorian got it on was of the comical sex scene in Hexed between Claudia Christian and Arye Gross.  I scoured YouTube trying to find a clip but tragically was unsuccessful.   Needless to say Vanessa wasn't the first to go all exorcist during sex, but at least Hexed saw the humor in such a situation. 

Edited by Blue Girl

Just watched this one. The sex scene between Dorian and Vanessa was quite odd. I did like her under garments though, she looked pretty hot in them.. you know, until Dorian whipped out his little knife to cut the ribbons of her corset...  I just wondered how many other women he'd done that to to need something like that.

Then it got a bit weird. Like someone said, maybe they should show that scene in sex ed classes "this is what happens if you have sex! Never have sex"