Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Be Like Mike

ohjoy

Set in 1990-something, Schooled is a spinoff of The Goldbergs and follows the hilarious faculty of William Penn Academy, led by new music teacher and WP graduate Lainey Lewis (AJ Michalka), Principal Glascott (Tim Meadows), Coach Mellor (Bryan Callen) and young, enthusiastic super-teacher Charlie Brown or CB for short (Brett Dier). Despite their eccentricities and crazy personal lives, these teachers are heroes to their students. 

This series is scheduled to premiere on January 9, 2019 at 8:30PM EST on ABC.

• Love 1

I liked it.  I like anything set in the 90s.

I heard Good Vibrations by Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch, and Today by Smashing Pumpkins.

I did not hear any R. Kelly.

What kind of city is this where the best basketball player is white?  Also, he looked soooooooo much like Anton Yelchin.

If you guys like stuff like this, retroactively set in the 90's like I do, both "Fresh off the Boat" and VH1's "Hindsight" are like that.  And a short lived show on Netflix .... "Everything Sucks".

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

Lainey isn’t really able to carry a show, but Stanley? Alvin? and Coach Mellor make up for it.

I LOVED the end with Matt Ryan and the real Coach Mellor.  It seems like the Matty in the show was based on Matty Ice and I want more of that.

I am here for a show based in the 90’s just for the music alone.

Is this a reboot of that one-off show they did before, or are we supposed to pretend that never happened?

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Is this a reboot of that one-off show they did before, or are we supposed to pretend that never happened?

Yeah, I think that show "never happened". It was based off the Tim Meadows and his family, right?

I'm here for Coach. I love him!

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, WednesdayAddams said:

Yeah, I think that show "never happened". It was based off the Tim Meadows and his family, right?

Well, it technically happen, since everyone is set up the way that original pilot went. Just now, Lainey in the star of the show, but it did work as we have John in his supporting role instead of lead of the show. Lainey is the new teacher, who as we saw, mirrors Coach very well. I have to say, I loved Coach talking about going to the more modern shorts and how everyone was like: "You look weird coach." "I feel weird!" Never change Coach Rich. 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, WednesdayAddams said:

If they cancelled a show starring Tim Meadows for a show starring some blonde chick, well, that makes me like the show a hell of a lot less.

• Love 6

A lot of shows start slow before they find themselves, but I thought they started here with a strong episode.

Tim Meadows was very strong, and this is the most I've ever liked Coach Mellor.  The Matt Ryan reveal just continues from the Goldbergs, they never fail to amaze me with things from their show that really happened.

I got the impression watching that we will be seeing the niece as a recurring character, and I see from comments about that is most likely true.

And Lainey was good too.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What kind of city is this where the best basketball player is white?  Also, he looked soooooooo much like Anton Yelchin.

I never thought the William Penn Academy was a public school and I looked it up.  It isn't a true public school so I can believe the best basketball player at a privateish school would be white. This also explains how Lainey can just be hired without real teaching experience, credentials, schooling, etc. 

Edited by joanne3482
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

First it’s not a city it’s a very white suburb and the character was based on a real life person. 

• Love 12

It wasn't too bad of a beginning. I'll tune in to see where this show goes.

Them using Today as the uplifting song at the end was a misstep. A song about suicide shouldn't really be used for the "Aww, we all learned something" moment.

Just now, Aryanna said:

Them using Today as the uplifting song at the end was a misstep. A song about suicide shouldn't really be used for the "Aww, we all learned something" moment.

Given it was a last minute switch from I Believe I can Fly, little thought was probably given other than they could quickly get the rights and it wasn’t too out of place.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

If they cancelled a show starring Tim Meadows for a show starring some blonde chick, well, that makes me like the show a hell of a lot less.

I don't think it was technically cancelled. They were feeling out the show. If it had bad ratings and/or poor criticism, then they had to revamp it somehow. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, WednesdayAddams said:

I don't think it was technically cancelled. They were feeling out the show. If it had bad ratings and/or poor criticism, then they had to revamp it somehow. 

They didn’t pick up the pilot but decided to air it as a bonus episode, so it couldn’t be cancelled because it was never actually a show. 

• Love 5

Even though I never saw The Goldbergs, I decided to tune in for this. and I'm liking it so far. The show reminds me of movies like Clueless and Mean Girls. That and having AJ Michalka as the protagonist were big draws to me. I look forward to see how Lainey will evolve as a teacher over the course of the series.

• Love 6

terrible. bad actress. coach and principal steal the show.  on the goldbergs lainey and barry and getting married but she spoiled it right at the beginning of this new crap fest by saying they didn't work out. 

what kind of a school is this where you can just walk in and get a teaching job without a certificate? 

• Love 6

IMO, the coach and principal would be better than Lainey as main characters. Of course the stupid networks want a younger demographic so this show will probably wither and die before 10 episodes.

• Love 2

I couldn't agree. I think Lainey fits very well as the protagonist, and is a overall a good character. The Coach and Prinicipal are good characters too, don't get me wrong, but I don't think either of them being the protagonist would really fit a show like this.

Edited by Lili
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It spun off both shows. 

Thx!  I only remember Empty Nest because that was my Saturday night babysitting jam.  The NBC lineup.  Parents were usually home by the time Hunter was over.

• Love 4
On 1/11/2019 at 2:05 PM, msrachelj said:

terrible. bad actress. coach and principal steal the show.  on the goldbergs lainey and barry and getting married but she spoiled it right at the beginning of this new crap fest by saying they didn't work out. 

what kind of a school is this where you can just walk in and get a teaching job without a certificate? 

ITA! I do lot get why this character and actress was given her own show .  She is not  good actress, and her character is so dull. The coach and principal save this mess to a point . 

And aren’t they in PA? Does that state just hire people to teach without degrees and certification?  No one producing or writing this show thought about making boring Lainey actually have more qualifications than Beverly Goldberg walking into the 90’s with her 80’s style and intimidating the principal?

I do not get the point of this show at all . The Goldbergs are stuck in the 80’s , but this show is in the 90’s?? That also makes no sense .

• Love 2
On 12/29/2018 at 8:56 PM, garnetarden said:

This series is scheduled to premiere on January 9, 2019 at 8:30PM EST on ABC.

Damn~ Lainey looks old.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:01 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Are you saying that the only good bb players are Black ?

Well, it was definitely better than the other kinda pilot. 

The pilot they shopped around, which was aired as an episode, was about the niece of Tim Meadows and her single mom and sister, and they were basically the main characters, with the niece as the narrator, and Tim and Coach Mellor as the supporting cast and links to The Goldbergs. It was pretty lame, both because it had almost no connection to the original show, and it just wasn't very funny. This is clearly a retooled version of the pilot, with more of an obvious Goldbergs link with Lainey as the main narrator, and a Bev cameo. Maybe the other characters from the original pilot exist here too, but I dont really care either way. I REALLY didnt like the pilot...

I am decently interested in Lainey (and if/when she and Barry get back together), but I mostly loved seeing more of Mellor and Glascott, and them getting more depth and seeing them more as characters, and not as foils for the kid characters. The scene between Lainey and Mellor where he talked about his lost sports dreams, and how he was happy with how things worked out. And there were a lot of good lines too. "Crying after schools hours? You really are a teacher."

Loved seeing who Matty turned out to be, and seeing him with the real coach at the end! One of my favorite Goldbergs things was seeing the real versions of the characters show up, and hearing about how so much of the craziest stuff on the show is based on real events! And how many people are so willing to come back and be in their old classmates TV show! Its wild how many successful and decently famous people came out of this school from around the same time!

I dont actually have any 80s nostalgia, as I was busy not being born yet, so I am actually pretty excited to see a decade I actually remember getting the Goldbergs treatment!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
On 1/12/2019 at 9:07 PM, geauxaway said:

Loved it!  Only thing was the “spin off” schtick at the beginning.  Golden Girls spun to Empty Nest, no?  

I think Empty Nest (and Blossom and Nurses for some reason) took place in the same universe as Golden Girls, but not an actual spin-off. I looooooved that they mentioned Golden Palace, it doesn't get mentioned enough. :) 

I liked the show so far and I'm looking forward to what is ahead. The foreshadowing on The Goldbergs makes me believe that, while Barry and Lainey won't get back together he may have a kid or something attend the school and that's how they'll reunite, eventually (if Schooled makes it that far). Like The Goldbergs there are some weird year mashups (I don't know how to explain it) as Matt Ryan would have been a freshman in 1999 and the Donahue moshing episode was 1995-ish -- I realize it was  recording though (I had surgery that summer, watched a lot of talk shows). Anyway, to make a short story endless I liked the show.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, justjen said:

think Empty Nest (and Blossom and Nurses for some reason) took place in the same universe as Golden Girls, but not an actual spin-off. I looooooved that they mentioned Golden Palace, it doesn't get mentioned enough. :) 

Empty Nest was most definitely a spin-off of The Golden Girls and actually has a story similar to Schooled. They did a back door pilot episode with Rita Moreno and Paul Dooley as an episode of the show called Empty Nesters and they had teenage children. That didn’t get picked up so they reworked it with Richard Mulligan and older daughters who were then introduced on the show but didn’t get a full back door pilot.

Nurses was a spin-off of Empty Nest. 

Blossom was in the same “universe” because NBC liked to do crossovers so it did it with a lot of shows.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8

Teachers and Laney: "How can Lainey become a better teacher?"

Me: "How about ... go back to school and take some actual teaching classes?"

Show: "Make-under! No! Wait! You were great all along!"

Me: "Typical."

Of course, I have never really been impressed with Laney or A.J.

• Love 8