Type keyword(s) to search

I Am the Night - General Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

Well, that was a finale of sorts.  I guess.

The ""You're boring" comment was so deeply insulting to Hodel's self image that it destroyed him better than anything else she could have done.  Except maybe put a bullet into his groin.  I'm hoping she knew that ahead of time and planned to cut him short. 

So Jimmie Lee made it, but I imagine she's not going to be running around the house for awhile.

Was Jay expecting to be killed somewhere?  Is that why the detective slipped him the handcuff key?

• Love 3

Far be it for me to suggest this show is boring but I spent most of the Aloha episode googling to see if the drink the “Arnold Palmer” was popular enough to be referred to in that way. The results much like this series were contradictory and inconclusive.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah. I thought they had good chemistry so their scenes together were about the only thing I found interesting about this.  Of course, she's supposed to be 16 and he's....not so that's that. 

Oh goodness. I didn't feel THAT kind of chemistry. I just thought it was sweet and the moment she realized he did try to come save her when she couldn't even get a cop to help her walk out of the damn house. The sheer relief that she wasn't alone.  I'm sure her adrenaline high of taking down Hodel was starting to wear off.  and of course I had a moment of "I'd run to him too."  

I do get it though. I was worried about that natural chemistry they had in scenes  and that they might try to turn it romantic even though she's only 16 and I was glad they didn't go there. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I had zero sympathy for Fauna. Sixteen years old running around like she was grown. And she kept walking right into situations that any other 16-year-old probably at least would have had the sense to stay away from. The whole thing just seemed ludicrous to me. If a daytime soap tried to present a story like this the audience would rip them to shreds and depart the viewership in droves.

Why was Hodel so connected? Surely it was more than just the illegal abortions unless he had that much blackmail on that many powerful people.

So what was the significance of the bull?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Well, that was a finale of sorts.  I guess.

The ""You're boring" comment was so deeply insulting to Hodel's self image that it destroyed him better than anything else she could have done.  Except maybe put a bullet into his groin.  I'm hoping she knew that ahead of time and planned to cut him short. 

So Jimmie Lee made it, but I imagine she's not going to be running around the house for awhile.

Was Jay expecting to be killed somewhere?  Is that why the detective slipped him the handcuff key?

He was supposed to escape custody and kill Hodel so the cops wouldn't have to arrest him.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, childeroland said:

He was supposed to escape custody and kill Hodel so the cops wouldn't have to arrest him.

Yeah, that was way too complicated, and it's surprising that Jay came up with the plan so quickly.

Jay put his fingerprints on the blonde cop's knife, and they were going to say that this knife was going to be the murder weapon in one of the killings.  Jay promised he'd sign a full confession. 

This was all because they were too scared to arrest Hodel, even with the photos they found in Jay's room.

While they were discussing that plan, I half-expected the blonde cop to kill the dark-haired cop and then kill Jay, and say that Jay killed the dark-haired cop. 

All through this series, I'd debate about whether to watch or delete an episode from the DVR..  Then I'd think "what the heck" and start watching and I'd be hooked. 

• Love 1

Well, that was certainly...six hours.

Normally this is the kind of thing I love to go back and rewatch, but on the whole it was so impressionistic that I suspect I won't get much more out of a second go. At least Jefferson Mays kind of made me forget his Kimmy Schmidt role in the last episode?

• Love 2

How did Fauna get the bloody nose or lip? I didn't see her getting hit or run into furniture or whatever.

Ultimately I hated that her character was 16. It made so much of her story implausible. And those scenes of her in the silk slip, especially bloodied and captive to Hodel, were distasteful. It's as if the producers were trying to titillate all the pervs in the viewing audience, yet not go too far in showing a minor being mistreated.

The best thing that came out of this series was the revelation about Chris Pine's acting chops. He was never on my radar before this.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

How did Fauna get the bloody nose or lip? I didn't see her getting hit or run into furniture or whatever.

Hodel hit her in the face. I can't remember if it was because she wouldn't change clothes or because she asked to leave again but he hit her pretty hard when he got her downstairs and that's when she started bleeding.

• Love 1

Well that's six hours of my life I won't get back.

How did Hodel's wife know that Fauna was going to visit?  She had two iced lemonades ready to go.

Why didn't Fauna change back into her dress before finally leaving the Hodel mansion?

That's all I got

• Love 1
(edited)

Another confusion - someone mentioned (one of the police?) Hodel's wife's name was Yuna, so I'm thinking blonde lady/wife's name is Yuna.  Then Hodel says something to his Asian assistant and calls her "Yuna".  Does he have two wives?

Edited by roughing it
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

Another confusion - someone mentioned (one of the police?) Hodel's wife's name was Yuna, so I'm thinking blonde lady/wife's name is Yuna.  Then Hodel says something to his Asian assistant and calls her "Yuna".  Does he have two wives?

The wife was named Corinna.

• Love 2

Ooh, Corinna, that's another thing. I'm not sure what they were going for there—that's not how Connie Nielsen sounds IRL, I believe—but during their whole initial meeting, I just found myself hoping Fauna would say something like "Lady, I don't mean to be a bitch, but I find your accent and affectations exhausting. Like, there's 'art world denizen' and then there's whatever the hell you're doing."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I have been listening to the podcast (Root of Evil) and the book (The Black Dahlia Avenger) and they did a terrific job on the show. Great casting, cinematography, and script. Well done. 

• Love 3

I think if they had cut this into a miniseries, this could have been a really good TV movie or, like I said, miniseries. The performances were really good, and when they actually got around to finding the killer things got pretty creepy and intense. Before that though, we had to sit through a LOT of padding that basically meant nothing, and a lot of "ohhh creepy imagery!" moments that led to even more nothing. 

Chris Pine was really good, its great seeing him doing different things, and Jay and Fauna had a nice, platonic friendship chemistry, I wish we had seen more if it. Her last voice over hoping that he was happy wherever he was a nice ending to the show, and I am glad that her adopted mother survived. And I was glad that Fauna got the drop on Hodel, especially when she told him he was a boring cliche. That hurt him more than a bullet! 

On 3/5/2019 at 7:59 AM, lucindabelle said:

Also: three out of four recaps just mentioned a "piano teacher." It was freaking RACHMANINOFF.

I was thinking the same thing! Did people just not notice that tiny little detail?! 

• Love 5

I think she should have hurt Hodel more - disable him at least - hit him in the crotch with that ball.  She let him off too easy. and now he can hurt more people. I understand killing him would have opened a can of worms -- not really self defense, since he was down. But to just leave him there.... I thought for sure he'd get a second wind and cause her more trouble, like you see so often in movies where they don't kill the guy. I am so glad that tired old device wasn't used.

• Love 2
On 3/6/2019 at 4:41 PM, PhoneCop said:

Ooh, Corinna, that's another thing. I'm not sure what they were going for there—that's not how Connie Nielsen sounds IRL, I believe—but during their whole initial meeting, I just found myself hoping Fauna would say something like "Lady, I don't mean to be a bitch, but I find your accent and affectations exhausting. Like, there's 'art world denizen' and then there's whatever the hell you're doing."

I think Corrina was the ex-wife and Yuna the newer model.  I couldn't get over how much Connie Nielsen seemed to be doing a really good Moira Rose (Schitt's Creek) impersonation, especially in her first scene.  This cracked me up and took me completely out of the story (the tiny bit there was) anytime she was onscreen.

Seconding the person who found Chris Pine's acting a revelation; thought he ruined Kirk role - mainly due to heinously bad casting, which was only other role I'd seen him in but he really impressed me as Jay.

This series could and should have been so much better.  Disappointed.

• Love 2

I saw Chris Pine in a few plays (Lieutenant of Inishmore, Farragut North, Fat Pig) so I knew he had acting chops, but this was a bit of a slog. It was sort of a cross between L.A. Confidential and Hannibal, except those were compelling and this was anything but.

• Love 2
On 2/27/2019 at 12:34 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

So Tamar named two of her children Fauna. Wonder how the second one felt when she learned the legacy of her name?

I kind of felt like she should've named the other girl Flora. Flora and Fauna, heh.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

Everything that happened in the first four episodes could have been condensed into two episodes, while everything in the last two episodes should have been spread out to three or four episodes. It was weird that the story moved so slowly early, then the end was too rushed and should have been hashed out more. Overall, it was an interesting show and I liked both Chris Pine and India Eisley. 

• Love 10
On 3/6/2019 at 11:20 PM, tennisgurl said:

I think if they had cut this into a miniseries, this could have been a really good TV movie or, like I said, miniseries. The performances were really good, and when they actually got around to finding the killer things got pretty creepy and intense. Before that though, we had to sit through a LOT of padding that basically meant nothing, and a lot of "ohhh creepy imagery!" moments that led to even more nothing. 

Chris Pine was really good, its great seeing him doing different things, and Jay and Fauna had a nice, platonic friendship chemistry, I wish we had seen more if it. Her last voice over hoping that he was happy wherever he was a nice ending to the show, and I am glad that her adopted mother survived. And I was glad that Fauna got the drop on Hodel, especially when she told him he was a boring cliche. That hurt him more than a bullet! 

I was thinking the same thing! Did people just not notice that tiny little detail?! 

I thought he was really good as well. I did like their friendship and that he wanted to protect her from the reporter guy. There was a scene with them in the Hawaii episode where he asks her to take out his stitches and she says "Hold still" and he moves his head around. I thought that was cute.

• Love 1

You really need to listen to the Root of Evil podcast.  Once you get over how Hollywood "hollywooded" the story far from the truth, it is horrifyingly fascinating.  That that bastard Dr. Hodel was able to die very peacefully at 91 is a travesty.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this for the most part. If I didn't know this was based on actual history, I'd say this is completely ridiculous. 

I had a tough time keeping track of what the actual year was for the show present because it wasn't clear what war Pike actually fought in to me. I didn't really get how she knew Big Momma at first either. 

I didn't have a problem with 16 y/o Fauna being so adult. It seemed like she had to grow up fast. Jimmy Lee was harsh to me and 'Pat' already had a job as a teen. 

I mean, it's a typical TNT miniseries. We were making almost the same comments about Into The West in 2005.

I think what irritated me about Fauna was her constant foolishness. Breaking into places, sneaking around, seeing all sorts of weird shit, and then the biggest thing... Jay's told you he thinks her grandfather killed the Black Dahlia (and may be responsible for other deaths as well), your bio mom told you that your grandfather was a pedophile, the dude had Fauna followed and lied to her at every turn... yet you STILL go visit his ex-wife in the end? Call anyone else for help, for fuck's sake, but not that woman who cannot be trusted. *headdesk headdesk  That drove me CRAZY.

• Love 1

I think what I found frustrating about watching this mini-series is that it's almost entirely fictional, while acting like it's somehow truth, especially with the showing of the real-life photos at the end of every episode.

I had read before watching that Fauna had never met or spoken to her grandfather... ever. So it was really annoying to me to watch this entire series and have it be SO melodramatically altered from that fact. I mean, make it a mystery about her parentage, make it a mystery about whether or not he actually raped his own daughter or killed the Black Dahlia, and throw messed-up Jay in there as a journalist who believes Hodel IS responsible for both of those crimes, but don't make up a whole thing about Fauna breaking into the guy's house repeatedly and experiencing a gigantic amount of dramatic stuff that she never actually experienced. 

• Useful 1