Type keyword(s) to search

Return To Amish - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This was ridiculously hard to find, plus the name of the show that's currently airing is "Return to Amish", not "Breaking Amish", which was its predecessor.  Can something be done about that?

ETA:  Thanks!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 5

Episode 6:

"Forgive Me, Carmela"

Jeremiah makes a desperate plea for Carmela to return; Dawn and Shelly go full English; Lowell must make a difficult call to his Mennonite parents; Mary takes a risk that could threaten her standing in the Amish community; Sabrina says goodbye.

Aired December 30, 2018.

Just watched the 2 hour show where Dawn's husband comes down to Nashville to get her.  Episode 6 I suppose.

I can only imagine taking the donut booth on the road was just a justification for these people to be filmed.  Now on to people: Dawn and hubby may be looking well at the end of the episode, but I don't see a a half English half Mennonite couple holding up.  Jeremiah says he needs to do more listening than talking (yelling) and let's all hope he tries to do that.  I have no idea if Lowell finds himself and wants to marry his pregnant gf and what all that will entail.  Shelly, looks and seems more relaxed with her make-over.  Her affect is so flat and emotionless, and it was interesting to hear that in those communities (so we were told) that they have emotions but are raised not to show them.  She's a hard one to read nor see what she wants.

• Love 1

Episode 7:

"Stay Amish or Go English?"

Jeremiah and Ada must decide the future of their donut stand business; Mary learns her fate with the Amish Church; Shelly meets her biological mother; Lowell finds out surprising news about his baby during an ultrasound; Dawn reveals a dark secret.

Airs January 6, 2018.

How is there an egg ceremony for gender reveal, when we're told ultrasounds aren't allowed for the Amish?  I know Mennonites have ultrasounds, so maybe they borrowed the ceremony?  

20 hours ago, For Cereals said:

The producers aren’t even trying anymore.  What’s his name just found out his girlfriend is pregnant, how is she already like 7 mos?  He just got the line shaved into his head.

And she's in labor the next episode!

I hope she gets better care than broccoli and fart blankets.

• Love 2

The Episode of 1/06/19, where they return to PA, was actually a good production,    Tons of things for each characters...seeing parents (bio and adopted), or gf/bf/husband, and a marriage proposal.  Also the dinner at Ada's was entertaining,  And it was nice to see Jeremiah not yelling and mostly helpful.  

• Love 2

God this show has jumped the shark and ran off and came back and jumped it again, then drowned in the shark waters.  Yet, here I am...

I like Dawn.  Haven't found anyone I really like on this show like...ever.  I also really like Ada.  I expected her to be a bitch at the beginning of the season but she's better than Mary.  Glad Sabrina left, watching her and Jeremiah is almost second hand embarrassment inducing.  It's like the old people trying to be cool around the young kids.  And she's already pregnant in real life again.  Someone needs to rip out her uterus.  She should NOT be getting pregnant, ever.  Carmela is looking bad.  She's probably put on 30lbs.  Jeremiah seems like a real joy to be with.  Heh.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I'm new to this show!  Only seen parts of 3 episodes.....fascinating!   I have no idea who these people are but sad I missed all the good stuff the first time around.

There’s a lot of producer-driven shenanigans and you’re always questioning how much of it is real especially after all the real stories started coming out during the first season but good drama and a little insight.

I feel for the adopted kids especially of different races (not so much for Jeremiah, not because he’s white but because he’s Jeremiah). If what Shelly and Lowell said is to be believed that they were bullied or called slurs yet have somewhat loving families who don’t want them to leave the church and yet other families don’t want them to marry their children, what do they do?  That’s no life.  Poor Matt can’t even identify as Bulgarian.  I would probably feel worse for Shelly if I could understand what she was saying half the time...

• Love 2

I just binge watched the entirety of the most recent season (7?).  I’d like to thank my cold, Mucinex DM and the rainy gloomy day outside for their support.

The thing that gets me the most is every time they get a makeover they “ don’t recognize the person in the mirror” yet at the same time feel like it represents their real self.  How does that make any sense? Is it really necessary to have some sort of commercialized product applied to see yourself in the mirror?

1) Mary - how does she justify doing all she can to get back in the good graces of the church and yet still participate in the show?

2) Lowell - doing dishes (women’s work) or going on a haunted tour of New Orleans disrespects his religion but drinking alcohol, having premarital sex with his girlfriend  and running amok on the beach in a speedo is A-ok.

3) Carmela - “this is the worst thing to do for our marriage, taking the donut business on the road”, then 3 episodes later, “it’s the best thing we did for our marriage”.

4) Shelly - it’s ok your fiancé is still legally married to his first wife, get married now anyway and worry about the paperwork/legalities/possible bigamy charges brought on him later.

5) Dawn - my husband cheated on me/sin so I’m going to use that as an excuse to “go English”, then at the end I’ll confess my lie/sin by being on birth control and let’s just go English, honey!

6) Jeremiah - gotta hand it to him for hustling the t-shirts, hoodies, hats, shoes, paintings, Amish Donut business AND starring in the latest rendition of Return to Amish.  Way to milk it, dude.  Still needs to work on his relationship skills though.

7) Sabrina- Jeeeez, where to begin.  Get help, honey.  Everyone’s praying for ya.

Edited by kicotan
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, kicotan said:

4) Shelly - it’s ok your fiancé is still legally married to his first wife, get married now anyway and worry about the paperwork/legalities/possible bigamy charges brought on him later.

I know!  I think this is probably something like what the producers said.  They pushed them into it early so they could get it on film.  Who cares about pesky details like divorces that aren't final? To me, this more than anything qualifies as this show jumping the shark.  No wonder Matt was flipping out.  There was nothing real about it.  Like where are they going to live?  They didn't even talk about anything practical.  I think the fakeness is why the black pastor backed out.  When he found out it wasn't going to be a "real marriage" he didn't want anything to do with it.  That would also explain why Shelly was like "yeah, right, whatever" to finding out he backed out.  This wasn't a real wedding anyway, just a dress up ball.

I loved how the captions said that Mary had gone back Amish "for now" - Like they know her better than to believe she'll stick with it.  But I don't even believe her going back was anything but a fake plot for this show (which answers your question above about how she can participate in this show and yet go "back Amish").  

And other plots.  Why does Ada not have any issues with the bishop about being on the show?  Has she really gone English but still dresses Amish like Mary did?  I might have missed where this was addressed in a previous episode, but they never talk about her status with the Amish church whatsoever so I'm thinking perhaps they just haven't talked about it at all.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2
On 1/10/2019 at 5:38 PM, ShaNaeNae said:

God this show has jumped the shark and ran off and came back and jumped it again, then drowned in the shark waters.  Yet, here I am...

I like Dawn.  Haven't found anyone I really like on this show like...ever.  I also really like Ada.  I expected her to be a bitch at the beginning of the season but she's better than Mary.  Glad Sabrina left, watching her and Jeremiah is almost second hand embarrassment inducing.  It's like the old people trying to be cool around the young kids.  And she's already pregnant in real life again.  Someone needs to rip out her uterus.  She should NOT be getting pregnant, ever.  Carmela is looking bad.  She's probably put on 30lbs.  Jeremiah seems like a real joy to be with.  Heh.

I agree. Why am I still watching? I guess tv is just that bad now, or I´m accidentally a masochist. I did always like Abe and Rebecca, they just seemed so normal and nice compared to everyone else.

I think the difference between Mary and Ada (if Ada is still amish, which I think she is) is that Ada never disrespects their culture and religion. Mary took everything so far, went against her husband´s wishes, drank lots of alcohol, acted a fool etc.

• Love 2
On 1/13/2019 at 9:01 PM, For Cereals said:

There’s a lot of producer-driven shenanigans and you’re always questioning how much of it is real especially after all the real stories started coming out during the first season but good drama and a little insight.

I feel for the adopted kids especially of different races (not so much for Jeremiah, not because he’s white but because he’s Jeremiah). If what Shelly and Lowell said is to be believed that they were bullied or called slurs yet have somewhat loving families who don’t want them to leave the church and yet other families don’t want them to marry their children, what do they do?  That’s no life.  Poor Matt can’t even identify as Bulgarian.  I would probably feel worse for Shelly if I could understand what she was saying half the time...

Shelley has the personality of a sack of dead rats!!

• Love 2

@kicotan

Pretty good observations.  Just to add about Mary, I was surprised she was filmed after her church's vote...but perhaps the producers had her film a couple of different convo's and endings ahead of time.  The next point is, being voted in and her appearing months later on tv is apparently not an issue for them, or at least I would hope!

On 1/14/2019 at 10:41 PM, Yeah No said:

I know!  I think this is probably something like what the producers said.  They pushed them into it early so they could get it on film.  Who cares about pesky details like divorces that aren't final? To me, this more than anything qualifies as this show jumping the shark.  No wonder Matt was flipping out.  There was nothing real about it.  Like where are they going to live?  They didn't even talk about anything practical.  I think the fakeness is why the black pastor backed out.  When he found out it wasn't going to be a "real marriage" he didn't want anything to do with it.  That would also explain why Shelly was like "yeah, right, whatever" to finding out he backed out.  This wasn't a real wedding anyway, just a dress up ball.

I loved how the captions said that Mary had gone back Amish "for now" - Like they know her better than to believe she'll stick with it.  But I don't even believe her going back was anything but a fake plot for this show (which answers your question above about how she can participate in this show and yet go "back Amish").  

And other plots.  Why does Ada not have any issues with the bishop about being on the show?  Has she really gone English but still dresses Amish like Mary did?  I might have missed where this was addressed in a previous episode, but they never talk about her status with the Amish church whatsoever so I'm thinking perhaps they just haven't talked about it at all.

That's a good point about the black pastor perhaps not wanting to be involved once he got clued in on the details.

As to Ada, I'm not sure if she's ex-amish and dresses up and carries on some traditions for business PR reasons.  Her home was nice, and yet had (allegedly) a gas powered refrigerator.  Who knows, may be she is Amish and right with her church because buying and selling with the English has to be done, so they have certain allowances.

• Love 2

Why are non-Amish people referred to as English, anyone know?

Also, could someone brief me on the "real stories that came out" that indicated fakery on this show on earlier seasons? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bref said:

Also, could someone brief me on the "real stories that came out" that indicated fakery on this show on earlier seasons? 

Because the Amish's first language is not English but "Pennsylvania Dutch", which is a kind of "pigeon German" according to my father who speaks German, while most Americans' first language is English.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bref said:

“...Amish began migrating to Pennsylvania, then known for its religious toleration, in the 18th century as part of a larger migration from the Palatinate (Southern Germany) and neighboring areas. This migration was a reaction to religious wars, poverty, and religious persecution in Europe. The first Amish immigrants went to Berks County, Pennsylvania, but later moved, motivated by land issues and by security concerns tied to the French and Indian War.  Many eventually settled in Lancaster County. Other groups later settled elsewhere in North America...” ~ Wikipedia 

In Colonial times, many religious groups who were persecuted, disenfranchised and basically ran out of town in Europe set up shop here in what became The USA.  The Amish retained their identity as Dutch speaking/identifying by becoming a closed sect during those times~hence the rejection of Industrial Revolution Technology, the “mother tongue” not being English, their diet, etc.  They didn’t live in or identify with any English heritage, colonies or settlements before or during the Colonial period in the current USA and, for what it is worth, are collectively and religiously stuck in the time period they were in when they got here.

Edited by kicotan
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Tough question.  Originally was called Breaking Amish.  The first season or two has some deliberate mistruths, like Jeremiah was like 32 and married before and had previously left the Amish, not just leaving now in S1.  There are other characters who were around for several seasons, Abe (one of Mary's sons) and Rebecca....and Rebecca had a daughter prior to the show...perhaps with Abe who she was (apparently) married to, though the show pretends they are just meeting.

Oh, and Sabrina was in S1 (and later) and you can see her before all her addictions and lockups.

I think the later shows are more honest about what and who but can still have producer nonsense.  

For completeness, I didn't see the Los Angeles and Brooklyn Seasons.  As to 'Return" there are 5 seasons, and overall sometimes these people have little ability to deal with stress and going wild, so there's a lot of stuff you might not believe, except that they were so sheltered.  The voice of reason and good outlook on life is provided by Mary.

Edited by MajorNelson
fixed name
6 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

Tough question.  Originally was called Breaking Amish.  The first season or two has some deliberate mistruths, like Jeremiah was like 32 and married before and had previously left the Amish, not just leaving now in S1.  There are other characters who were around for several seasons, Abe (one of Mary's sons) and Rebecca....and Rebecca had a daughter prior to the show...perhaps with Abe who she was (apparently) married to, though the show pretends they are just meeting.

Oh, and Rebecca was in S1 (and later) and you can see her before all her addictions and lockups.

I think the later shows are more honest about what and who but can still have producer nonsense.  

For completeness, I didn't see the Los Angeles and Brooklyn Seasons.  As to 'Return" there are 5 seasons, and overall sometimes these people have little ability to deal with stress and going wild, so there's a lot of stuff you might not believe, except that they were so sheltered.  The voice of reason and good outlook on life is provided by Mary.

Rebecca was married and had a child, but the marriage was not to Abe (there are rumors that the child was actually Abe's), they definitely did know each other before the show. 

I believe you mean Sabrina in regards to the addiction and lockups.

• Love 1

Thanks @connieinnc for the Sabrina fixup.  The Abe Rebecca relationship was confusing (totally misleading by producers, and then the digging thru past and current SM wasn't too clear either).  But when we saw in later seasons their two kids, I always figured they were both theirs.  And one kid was the one not shown during S1.  Maybe not!

On 1/20/2019 at 9:02 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

is this show worth watching from the first season?  if I can find it? 

Yes!  I binged watch it and enjoyed it. Mostly because I loved Mary so much in this!  I was able to video on demand it through Comcast.

Jeremiah is an anti-masker? Colour me shocked. The mask isn’t to protect you asshole, it is to protect others. Why is this abusive asshole even on my TV? I lasted about 15 min now I am turning the channel.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 6

What did we just watch 😳 Was that a panic attack or a seizure? Is it bad that I am completely weirded out by Danny the Amish Taxi Driver and fire of Maureen’s loins because he seems like a total creeper with the secks questions? Why was he asking questions he already knew the answer to? Ew! I’m not even commenting on Jeremiah, he’s completely ignorant. Sabrina is pregnant with her 4th???? Also Ada’s (really nice) house? What? I’m so confused on how they pulled this all together. Did they address the location of Carmela’s children and I missed it?

Edited by RedDelicious
Wrong Amishman.
  • Love 6

Did Maureen say that taxi driver Danny drank Drano when he was a toddler? That's gotta have some long term effects besides his wonky teeth. 

That whole airport scene was completely unbelievable. But I have no trouble  believing that Jeremiah had a jealous meltdown during his airport wheelchair job and got fired. I am assuming that job was somewhere in WA so maybe he can get hired on in Sarasota. Last time I was there it was a teensy airport but that was a long time ago and it may have changed since then. I'd prefer to not see much of him at all but the TLC gravy train is in town so probably not much incentive to work. 

I thought they were going to tell us that Rosanna was Rebecca's sister but turns out to be her cousin. Strong genes in that family. Looks like she had her dental work done by the same practitioner as Rebecca had before she got hers fixed in NY. 

Ada sure seems to love the cameras for an old order Amish person. I wonder if she brought her butter churner and if she uses that dishwasher. 

Edited by lizajane
Clarification
  • Love 4

Jeremiah’s 15 minutes should have been up 14 minutes ago.  And while I’m not an advocate for forced sterilization, I wish someone would get Sabrina an IUD or 3 so she doesn’t have the opportunity to ruin a 5th child’s life. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m really done with Jeremiah.  I do not care for him at all.  The two new girls seem interesting, but I cannot watch Jeremiah anymore.  I also worry about Sabrina with a baby.  

I hope I am wrong but I think Sabina will unfortunately go back to her addictions. I know this is heavily edited but she seems to take zero responsibility. It wasn’t her fault Abe and Rebecca cut her off...yet the real story is she lies and used them for money to buy drugs. She was also high around their kids and they had to put their family first. She kept waxing on about how this is her real family and they support her no matter what, yet I never really heard a single thank you or offer to help out from that girl. She is manipulative and selfish and stuck in the addict mentality. I hope she gets the therapy she needs to get better. I won’t even get in to my thoughts on Jeremiah, he is trash and for fuck sakes isn’t he 40 years old?!?! Time to stop blaming your adoption for you being an asshole. I understand trauma but he needs to take some responsibility for his behaviour. Carmella seems sweet but is suffering serious Stockholm syndrome...run Carmella. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, lizajane said:

Did Maureen say that taxi driver Danny drank Drano when he was a toddler? That's gotta have some long term effects besides his wonky teeth. 

Poor thing is like the model for those plastic novelty teeth. Apparently he has a toddler daughter from a previous relationship. I want to call an Abe/Rebecca and say it’s Maureen’s and she’s already had secks. But we haven’t been shown enough producer manipulation yet to know! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I think the young woman had a panic attack. But, whoever it was who was standing over her and continually telling her it was a panic attack wasn’t helping.  Her conduct made it worse.  When you suffer with panic attacks, if that’s what it was, you must get a plan of action on how to talk yourself down from them.  Some people find that difficult.  I had a few many years ago and after treatment they went away.  My mom has gone to ER numerous times and even though she knows that’s what it is, she never believes it in the moment.  You truly believe you are dying....it’s very scary.

• Love 5

Unpopular opinion but I couldn’t stand famewhore Mary chasing the cameras, bitch was thirsty. She also has several addict children she could help out but instead chooses to align herself with woman beating Jeremiah...at the behest of Abe who is her real son. She also didn’t like Rebecca because she was divorced and virtually ignored her own grandkids. I guess addict Sabrina and asshole Jer are ok because they bring the cameras. She also didn’t care that her husband might be excommunicated as long as she gets to do her own thing. Didn’t he marry her after she got pregnant by another man during rumspringa? Yea hard pass.

• Love 6

I understand Jeremiah has this deep need for parental love and attention. I do. But one thing I cannot tolerate are these asshole biological non-parents, who disappear for all the years of responsibility and then glide in when they themselves are getting old. Then Jeremiah has nothing but contempt for the people who did actually raise him. And where are his kids? He's replaying what his bio dad did. How often does he see them? Does he financially support them? Where are Carmela's younger kids?

I like this show when it does what it initially did, (or pretended to do)--- show these young people and their experiences in a new world. Rosanna at the beach. That stuff. I have less than zero reason to watch Jeremiah and particularly Sabrina. 

I actually think Rosanna should go back to the Amish. Right now it's fun...the beach and parasailing and all that. She will have fun wearing English clothes and makeup, I'm sure. But everyday life is not just the beach and clothes. I can't see her fitting into this world. That nervous breakdown was telling, and I think she needs her parents.

• Love 4

I am so over Jeremiah and Sabrina's sh*t eating smirks.  Jeremiah thinks he knows things and gossips like a 5th grade girl.

15 hours ago, WescottF1 said:

Probably out raising Hell in her Trans Am.

I giggle every time I read this 😄 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I am so over Jeremiah and Sabrina's sh*t eating smirks.  Jeremiah thinks he knows things and gossips like a 5th grade girl.

Gawd, he and Sabrina are insufferable.  And bonus points for outing someone (Sabrina, wtf?  This is your baby daddy.  wtf is wrong with you and it's not just the drugs, you are trash).  I kinda like Carmilla (sp?) - but why oh god why did she hitch her wagon to Jeremiah?

• Love 9

Ugh! Jeremiah telling the entire party that Matt gave Jethro a BJ made my blood boil. His nasty grin and enjoyment in everyone’s discomfort was disgusting. I felt bad for Matt.

And this Heidi lady... 🤦‍♀️🙄

• Love 9

I feel sorry for Jethro.  He seems like a nice guy who's trying to do right by his kids, but sadly, those kids come with Sabrina.  Jeremiah and Sabrina are both gigantic shit-stirrers who ought to be together, if for no other reason, to spare anyone else from having to deal with them.

Anyone else feel like they needed to take a shower after seeing Maureen having phone sex?  It seems pretty low to record such a personal moment and then air it.

• Love 6

I have been watching this and was hoping there was a forum for it.

I got sucked in and was actually enjoying it a lot- but tonight it is really bothering me with how staged it is. When the girls were cleaning the woman's house(and what a weird looking woman that was) and trying on her clothes in the closet....I mean really. And then the woman says oh let me reward you by having you go out with my kids?

Gimmeabreak.

I do like Carmella, and the other people I vaguely remember from previous season but I did not follow it so well.

• Love 2

Agree with all the above.  They were so rude to Matt.  

Sabrina needs to not put saving her life on her baby. That’s not fair to put that burden on a child and I hope she doesn’t continue to do that as he gets older.

Please tell me Heidi is from central casting. I also agree that things are way too staged, but it that’s been like that from the beginning and I’m still here. It seems like Maureen broke character a couple of times at the restaurant, but strangely enough, not during phone sex.

I’m glad Jethro is doing better, but I hate the slight implication that being bisexual is something to be treated via rehab or makes for a “bad” past that must be overlooked.

Sharing food with strangers during COVID in Florida sounds like a great idea.

• Love 6

I can almost smell Jeremiah's breath through the screen and it is vomit inducing. He is looking rougher every year. And his shit eating grin over the Matt and Jethro gossip was cringeworthy. Thank goodness he and Carmella won't be procreating. Neither of them seem to spend any time with the kids they already each have.

That whole housecleaning scene was ridiculous from start to finish. I hope we've seen and heard the last of that Heidi woman and her horrifying vocal fry. 

That phone sex thing was also vomit inducing. 

The only thing about this episode that seemed real was the pain that Sabrina was experiencing, but man, Jethro is in for a tough life with her.

• Love 6

That phone sex thing was really disturbing. It was so invasive to have that on film, and it was nauseating to watch. I think Daniel is disgusting but my opinion doesn't matter, if Maureen likes him. Obviously she hasn't met many men outside of her Amish life. I see Rosanna as much more sheltered, but I'm surprised she knew the phrase "phone sex."

Actually, this entire episode was upsetting. All these people in Florida without masks and no social distancing, especially indoors at a restaurant. That ghoulish woman in her home, with the superior attitude and the vocal fry. Filming that  woman's bra and panties. Tossing the Amish girls into a social encounter with mean kids who laughed at them, although the red-headed girl seemed to more patiently explain about the globe and about sushi. Jeremiah enjoying making Matt and Jethro uncomfortable. And Jeremiah and Carmela cooing over a baby, when we haven't seen them with their own children in forever. And Sabrina. Anything about Sabrina. I may have to quit watching this season. Even though I know it is all staged, I dislike them all except for Carmela and Ada, at times. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I gave up on this show but had to laugh at the clip of Jeremiah riding on the back of his new daddy’s bike, wind blowing through his greasy locks, mouth slightly open which reveals his janky teeth. A nice first ride for daddy and his 40 year old son. You are an adult Jeremiah, let the ‘firsts’ with daddy go.

From what I read here junky Sabrina and wife-beating Jeremiah just outted someone on national TV. They are and will always be trash.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 4/9/2021 at 3:24 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

I gave up on this show but had to laugh at the clip of Jeremiah riding on the back of his new daddy’s bike, wind blowing through his greasy locks, mouth slightly open which reveals his janky teeth. A nice first ride for daddy and his 40 year old son. Your an adult Jeremiah, let the ‘firsts’ with daddy go.

From what I read here junky Sabrina and wife-beating Jeremiah just outted someone on national TV. They are and will always be trash.

I was snorting with laughter at seeing Jeremiah on the back of his dads bike riding bitch with his Mad Magazine kid horse face. That was the highlight of the season for me. What does anyone see in him? 

Sabrina, shut the hell up. Have we seen her hold her baby or do any kind of parenting at all? Jethro is always holding and playing with the kid. She doesn’t have a maternal bone in her body. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1