Type keyword(s) to search

The Bold Type - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Not happy to see Adena back, & whoever did her makeup really needed to blend the shading down the sides of her nose a lot more. Every time they showed her face, those dark lines were all I could see.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I wish we would have seen the mean photographer lady in action sometime in the show, because this whole Jane goes all Ronan Farrow story is telling about how horrible this woman photographer is and not showing anything.

Its so annoying how they portray Jane as some lightweight wannabe Ronan Farrow with Jaqueline as her legal shield, while the story probably doesn't even come close to showing what it took for Farrow to get his big piece (including all the intimidation he faced). A few phone calls and they got themselves a coven of models willing to talk?

On a lighter note: throwing Alex into the girls' council every now and then is quite nice. He softens the whiney atmosphere.

I want Adena to run off into the sunset with Tia. Thats the only way they can solve this eyerollingly stupid story without any casualties.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Aulty said:

Alex into the girls' council every now and then is quite nice. He softens the whiney atmosphere.

Yeah putting him in the house forces the show to actually use him.. I mean right now he's little more than a human advice ATM... But still its something 

• Love 5

I'm just here to say that there is no way Sutton needs a $2500 machine with 27(????) buttonholes.

My (project runway limited edition lmao) machine was like $200 2.5 years ago, and is the perfect first machine, total workhorse.

What those two need is compromise! 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So technically the models didnt talk about what happened to them at the photo shoots, they just had pictures of them taken along with the story of what happened?

The models talked to Jane so she could write her article. Am I misunderstanding something?

The more models who openly speak about the abuse and harassment, the less likely the NDAs will be enforced, because if a large enough group pushes back, it will make the photographer look even worse for trying to enforce the NDAs. Not to mention the legality of the NDAs in the first place.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I agree. I already did not like Kat chasing and sort of pressuring her campaign manager to come out and be in a relationship, we now are going to have Kat probably get back with Adena? Sigh. 

I wish we would have seen the mean photographer lady in action sometime in the show, because this whole Jane goes all Ronan Farrow story is telling about how horrible this woman photographer is and not showing anything. I feel like I should be all horrified and appalled by the photographer lady (IRL I would be), but I find myself not caring. What is worse is that I am rooting for the horrible photographer over Jane.

RIGHT?! All I can think is "God I hope this bitch gets off." This whole plot is just so insufferably smug and superior.

(You know Jane has definitely masturbated to the thought of herself as the female Ronan Farrow, lmao.)  

Which makes it even more ironic that the companion storyline to this sanctimonious dreck is a woman pressuring her subordinate to date her, taking her gay virginity, and then plotting to ditch her mere hours later because he ex blinked in her general direction. I know most of you could give two shits about Tia, but I felt for her when she interrupted Kat's pity party to say "Last night was a big deal for me too." Tia is going through exactly what Kat went through in S1, but Kat apparently has no empathy as World's Hottest Lesbian now and the audience isn't supposed to care because she's not Kat. It's fascinating how the writers can influence audience investment (with the exact same plots!!!!!!!) based on how the protagonist is impacted. Imagine if Adena had fucked Kat and then gone back to her ex the next day!

Sutton's eventual explanation of not wanting Richard to buy her stuff was good, I just wish her storyline wasn't so WASPy. I can't really relate to or empathize with not wanting my wealthy older boyfriend to share his lifestyle or whisk me away to a Connecticut summer home or bankroll my every career whim while I hide in the closet and bitch about it to my friends. "Humility" can feel and look a lot like "taking shit for granted."

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I know most of you could give two shits about Tia, but I felt for her when she interrupted Kat's pity party to say "Last night was a big deal for me too."

I dont really like Tia that much, but I do feel sorry for her. This relationship with Kat is clearly a big deal for her and is a major moment in her life when it comes to accepting her sexual orientation, and she is clearly falling hard for Kat and having all these firsts with her, while Kat...is basically rebounding from Adena and after chasing after Tia, even after she said she wasnt interested and wanted to focus on their work, is just going to end up dropping her like a hot potato. It really sucks for her that this is going to be her first relationship with a woman that she was really into. 

I can kind of get where Sutton is coming from, not wanting to feel like Richard is her sugar daddy or something, especially considering how she grew up very independent and self sufficient, but if she is a serious relationship with Richard, its not so insane that he pays for some stuff because he has more money. Maybe one day if and when Sutton becomes a big deal designer or something they can start splitting the finances when she has more money, but now, its just more practical for Richard to pick up a few more of the checks. I mean, if they get married, which seems to be what they are angling towards at some point, whats your is mine and all that.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

The models talked to Jane so she could write her article. Am I misunderstanding something?

The more models who openly speak about the abuse and harassment, the less likely the NDAs will be enforced, because if a large enough group pushes back, it will make the photographer look even worse for trying to enforce the NDAs. Not to mention the legality of the NDAs in the first place.

The NDA's are only a small part of the equation. Just their association with the story could make them unhireable. Not only are they considered litigious (rightfully or not) but others might not want to deal with the inevitable drama/vindictiveness/divisiveness caused by the photographer. Jaqueline is not an authority in this situation. Depicting her as one is inaccurate at Best, irresponsible at worst.

I also wasn't a fan of them pressuring the models to take part in the story. That's completely reckless of the show to portray. Jaqueline and Jane seemed completely oblivious to the damage they could have been inflicting on these women who had already be traumatized once. They should have at least mentioned that if a model didn't want to participate, that boundary should be respected.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So technically the models didnt talk about what happened to them at the photo shoots, they just had pictures of them taken along with the story of what happened? I dont know how legally binding that is, I am sadly missing a law degree, but it seems pretty sketchy. And even if they arent technically in breach of contract, some people in the industry might still be hesitant to work with them. Not that they shouldn't speak out, but its not an easy thing to do, no matter what Jane and Jaqueline might say. 

I think they already talked to Jane, and she just has to write the article. The photoshoot is to go with the article. But if they said they were backing out, she would probably have to take their name off the article. Or she may not have to legally, but it would be the decent thing to do. 

It is kind of odd that she and Jacquelyn just keep saying "we don't think you have to worry about the NDA." I mean, of course they don't think they have to worry, they don't have to worry about the consequences.

But I agree with the posts above that this photographer doesn't really seem so bad that it warrants them breaking the NDA.  They probably will lose future jobs anyway, because other photographers will be worried that they will be accused of doing something wrong.

• Love 4

Should we start taking bets on whether Kat actually wins this election?  My vote is on no... it just seems way too convenient from a storytelling perspective to have Kat lose in order to have to go back to Adena & Scarlet.  Maybe they'll send it to a recount to drag out the drama? 

Oh!  And then maybe this will give a scorned Tia a reason to write an exposé piece on Kat next season?  Never would happened (considering that this show's take on #MeToo was a subplot) but that could be an interesting angle.

Speaking of #MeToo, it feels like the abusive photographer is based on Terry Richardson with the "twist" that the photographer is female (and therefore I guess no sexual harassment?).  I almost rather the show would have gone with a Terry Richardson 2.0 route so that we would have a more clear cut "bad guy".  

• Love 5

I like that the photographer is a woman. It shows that harassment and abuse isn't limited to just men in power. And they made the photographer a woman who was probably harassed herself as she built her career. "I didn't have it easy, so you shouldn't either." Sometimes other women are our worst enemies. 

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I like that the photographer is a woman. It shows that harassment and abuse isn't limited to just men in power. And they made the photographer a woman who was probably harassed herself as she built her career. "I didn't have it easy, so you shouldn't either." Sometimes other women are our worst enemies. 

Same here. I appreciate the nuance of having the abuser NOT be a man and having the abusive situations NOT be about sex. ANY situation in which a person is made to feel like they have to do something dangerous/unhealthy/immoral in order to keep their job or continue to get jobs is abuse. We don't see this side addressed very often.

• Love 6

I think I'd have less of a problem with the photographer storyline if the show had done some actual showing instead of just telling. A few anecdotes here and there aren't really helping me "get" the extent of her abuse. When the model was talking about how she had to raise her arms so high for so long that she ended up falling, I kept thinking about all the ANTM episodes where the girls were put through extremely difficult photo shoots that often mirrored real life ones. Modeling sucks. I don't doubt that this woman isn't abusive, but as a viewer I'd like to see some of that. It's kind of storytelling 101. This show does a lot of that. 

• Love 6

Of course they had pinstripe stray... Bet you Dr. Ben was off doing emergency surgery on child he pulled out of a fire while subsidisizing the prescriptions for the elderly in the hood... But he was too into Jane's medical condition so he had to go... Sutton was amazing as usual.. Tho she kinda let Richard's dream die on a vine without much say... Kat was waffly and wishy-washy.. But at least she owned it.. Tho seems next week she's in bed with adena.. So I wonder if Jane will be as mad at her for stepping out as she was at pinstripe for kissing some next lady... Overall really enjoyed the epi

• Love 7

Why on earth would they confront the photographer when the story is still 3 weeks out from publication?? Did they think she was just going to shrug and say, "Oh well, guess there's nothing I can do."? Usually you seek response quotes from the subject at the very last moment for exactly this reason- to prevent the chance of being scooped or your story being manipulated. Are they new at this?!?

• Love 11

For some reason, when Pinstripe drunkenly called Jane, and kept saying he missed her, I got vibes that he cheated on her with a guy.  Then he said "I kissed someone else".  Maybe I am just reading too much into it, as someone that--in my early dating days--dated two men who turned out be gay.  We will see. 

Also, did anyone else notice the Sex and the City reference?  The New York Star--the publication that was going to scoop Jane & Jacqueline's story--is the publication that runs Carrie's column on SATC.  (I don't think it is actually a newspaper, but someone correct me if I am wrong.)

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, marny said:

Why on earth would they confront the photographer when the story is still 3 weeks out from publication??

Your point is a good one, but to be fair, Jane and Jacqueline have been working on the story for a while, so I can't imagine the photographer hadn't heard about it before now. The whole thing was really to have more Jacqueline–Web Guy angst, but of course noble Jacqueline is always thinking about what's best for the company.

This is the sort of story that should be on the web, honestly, for exactly the reason that happened on the show. The magazine could have been a follow-up or expansion/offshoot of some sort if the story really needed to be in print.

Kissing someone is hardly cheating. It's not the greatest, especially if you're in a committed relationship, but Jane and Pinstripe need to talk this through.

There is no New York Star newspaper in NYC.

• Love 3

The storyline about being scooped is probably a call back to the fact that The NY Times came out with heir Weinstein piece just a few days before Ronan's Farrow's.

But, yeah, your server got hacked, dumb dumb. what did you think was going to happen?

Glad they had that one episode build up to Pinstripe and Jane's relationship going from nauseatingly ideal to him "cheating."

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

How bad a person am I for thinking that I'd be more interested if Jane was to one who cheated?

Hearing that Pinstripe kissed someone after listening to the interview and their lack of communication (as per last week's episode), honestly, Jane's reaction is understandable. I wonder if they can sort it out or if its the start of Jalex?

Phew, Kat, you lucky duck. You lost the election and get to keep your job, some reason to dump your campaign manager and go back to Adena - who technically still lives in Paris, doesn't she?

And as cute as Sutton's story was - including the scene at the party with Oliver and Richard - why would Oliver's daughter open up so quickly about her fears to a stranger? How much time has she spent with Sutton before that?

So, we've had Jane leave Scarlett (for a while), Kat almost leaving the magazine - what are the odds of design-shooting star Sutton potentially leaving her job to go full time Christian Siriano?

• Love 3

Jane will probably end up being thrilled to have her boyfriend kiss someone, so she can get super self riotous and get to play the victim (Jane's favorite game!) and maybe write a whole article about how much Pinstripe sucks or whatever. I am actually kind of annoyed that they had him kiss someone, because I thought Jane was being a bit too much being all mad about his interviews and him being away for work, but of course she is totally justified the whole time. I bet Dr. Ben would have never kissed someone else, just saying. 

I do feel bad for Tia, she is clearly super excited about this relationship with Kat and this is a really big deal for her and her journey with accepting her sexuality, while Tia was just a placeholder for Adena for Kat. Its especially bad considering Kat practically pulled her out of the closet even after she told her she wasnt interested. I hope that Kat is at least upfront with her and breaks up with her, and does not string her along or cheat on her with Adena. 

Sutton was really great with Oliver's daughter, their talk about middle school was really sweet, and she showed so much warmth towards her, despite all of her stress. 

Still, I mostly enjoyed this episode, and I kind of like that Kat lost the election. She might have passion, but it is kind of a hard sell to vote for this young woman with zero experience in policy or politics or background in it until a few weeks ago, especially for older voters who want to stick with what they know. 

• Love 11

The Kat-runs-for-city-council story was obviously based on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, though I think just as obviously, Kat had to lose. 

Kat winning an election in the final season/series finale would be a decent story for her.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/5/2019 at 9:03 AM, Miss Bones said:

For some reason, when Pinstripe drunkenly called Jane, and kept saying he missed her, I got vibes that he cheated on her with a guy.  Then he said "I kissed someone else".  Maybe I am just reading too much into it, as someone that--in my early dating days--dated two men who turned out be gay.  We will see. 

Please, no. Jane's already going to writer 100 articles as if she's the first person to ever be cheated on. If it was with a dude those will multiply exponentially. 

Edited by jenrising
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Your point is a good one, but to be fair, Jane and Jacqueline have been working on the story for a while, so I can't imagine the photographer hadn't heard about it before now. The whole thing was really to have more Jacqueline–Web Guy angst, but of course noble Jacqueline is always thinking about what's best for the company.

This is the sort of story that should be on the web, honestly, for exactly the reason that happened on the show. The magazine could have been a follow-up or expansion/offshoot of some sort if the story really needed to be in print.

Agreed. It was more of a digital story in the first place. And I get them wanting to relate it to the digital/print conflict story. But in doing so, it made Jacqueline seem incompetent (to me) for not understanding how magazine timelines work. 

Well, now there’s a big gap in the next issue that Jane can fill with her whining about her boyfriend and examining the question of whether a drunk kiss is worth ending a relationship over. Also, Pinstripe is a dummy for telling her. 

Edited by marny
  • Love 5
(edited)

that Jacqueline didn't have a Plan B or suspect Pamela might go on the defensive makes her look hugely incompetent, Which, of course, adds to the mystique of why Jane is fighting so hard to keep her relevant. Girl, your mentor/wise sage/role model fucked up in a major way. Maybe it's a good thing that she move on?

ETA: Pinstripe knew Jane's article was up mere seconds after it went live?

Pinstripe was only in Princeton NJ???

This show, man.

Edited by sashayshante
  • Love 3

I'm so glad Kat lost the election. I need to see these bizarrely overconfident stars-at-everything-they-try girls to fail way more often. But naturally they already gave us "she might actually not want be a councilwoman anyway!" so that it's not all bad. It's laughable that someone like Kat would've even come close in Lower Manhattan anyway.

While I appreciate Sutton's thoughts on having "real women" model her clothes, has she seen Kat and Jane? Their body types are not going to make any regular women feel better about themselves.

Hopefully there's a lot of Pamela Dolan next week in the finale, because otherwise I have no idea why they bothered hiring Laila Robins.

• Love 5
(edited)
18 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

He was on a tour, I think Princeton was just one stop. 

If past is prologue, Jacqueline's job will  be in jeopardy. They made way too much of this sub-plot for it not to have a bigger impact.

I predict a massive lawsuit, Jacqueline is fired, Patrick is named EIC and Jane stages a Donna Martin Graduates-like protest.

Edited by sashayshante
  • LOL 1
On 6/5/2019 at 3:01 PM, jenrising said:

Please, no. Jane's already going to writer 100 articles as if she's the first person to ever be cheated on. If it was with a dude those will multiply exponentially. 

I am DYING omg! Imagine the bylines "I Gave My Boyfriend My Heart But All He Wanted Was Some Dick" "Vaginal Rejuvination: Owning My Womanhood After My Boyfriend Cheated With A Man" "Do All Bisexuals Cheat? My Experiences Say Yes". But no, Pinstripe's entire character is built on grimy womanizing masculine insecurity (so dreamy!), so they'd never have him cheat with a dude. It would be hilarious if it turned out he kissed Patrick. Jane/Pinstripe's relationship is the classic example of why you don't ditch what's good/stable (Dr. Ben) because you're horny for a challenge.

Alex had infinitely better chemistry with Sutton (and hell, even Kat), but him fucking Jane is inevitable now and probably the whole purpose of the roommate subplot. I predict Jane drunkenly making a pass at him next week.

Kat is a terrible person with Shiny Object Syndrome and all the focus of a goldfish. Her loss would've been a good development and source of character growth had they not spent the whole episode watering it down with her cold feet crisis. It's very clunky and poorly written that Tia and Kat went from having sex to (literally overnight) barely touching when Adena came back. We get it, Kat likes Adena more, but wouldn't Tia still think they were in the giddy honeymoon phase? They had about as much chemistry as stepsisters this episode. It's super slimy of Kat to crawl back into bed with Adena behind Tia's back when Tia devoted weeks to doing nothing but helping Kat's campaign and is the one who inspired Kat to enter politics in the first place. 

Who calls the BIG BAD SUPER SCARY MODEL EATING PHOTOGRAPHER in to say "Heads up, we're writing an expose on you, so you better take a look at all our sources and evidence before we publish"? Why is Jacqueline in particular that fucking tactless????

• Love 11
37 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I am DYING omg! Imagine the bylines "I Gave My Boyfriend My Heart But All He Wanted Was Some Dick" "Vaginal Rejuvination: Owning My Womanhood After My Boyfriend Cheated With A Man" "Do All Bisexuals Cheat? My Experiences Say Yes". But no, Pinstripe's entire character is built on grimy womanizing masculine insecurity (so dreamy!), so they'd never have him cheat with a dude. It would be hilarious if it turned out he kissed Patrick. Jane/Pinstripe's relationship is the classic example of why you don't ditch what's good/stable (Dr. Ben) because you're horny for a challenge.

Alex had infinitely better chemistry with Sutton (and hell, even Kat), but him fucking Jane is inevitable now and probably the whole purpose of the roommate subplot. I predict Jane drunkenly making a pass at him next week.

Kat is a terrible person with Shiny Object Syndrome and all the focus of a goldfish. Her loss would've been a good development and source of character growth had they not spent the whole episode watering it down with her cold feet crisis. It's very clunky and poorly written that Tia and Kat went from having sex to (literally overnight) barely touching when Adena came back. We get it, Kat likes Adena more, but wouldn't Tia still think they were in the giddy honeymoon phase? They had about as much chemistry as stepsisters this episode. It's super slimy of Kat to crawl back into bed with Adena behind Tia's back when Tia devoted weeks to doing nothing but helping Kat's campaign and is the one who inspired Kat to enter politics in the first place. 

Who calls the BIG BAD SUPER SCARY MODEL EATING PHOTOGRAPHER in to say "Heads up, we're writing an expose on you, so you better take a look at all our sources and evidence before we publish"? Why is Jacqueline in particular that fucking tactless????

i can only like it once.. But please know.. This is a hall of fame worthy post... What's funny about Alex is.. When the show started I assumed he was there for Jane.. Not a foil a good guy maybe a will they won't they... So I was pleasantly surprised  when they went with Sutton.. Until it was obvious that he was just a place holder for Richard ( who I really enjoy.. So can't harp on it too much)  if Kat wasn't being shown as queen ladykiller she And Alex could been interesting because of her relationship with being  black( well bi-racial)  woman... But yeah looks like we may end up getting Jalex and I'm sure the writers ( who are either trolling us or tone-def)  will have Jane be horrible... On a wildly shallow note Katie Stevens looked great dancing... Sue me ima red- blooded growing boy.... 

Kat was flip-floppy... I liked adena settling her down.. Would preferred someone else do it.. And be more forceful... Tho they had the common sense to have her know it was ducky to be having the cold feet ( but I do feel completely honest to who Kat has been)  her whole deal with Tia has been a mess and I'm praying she gets called out for her nonsense before the season is over 

• Love 3

I didn't really like the message that Sutton using nonmodels as models would somehow embarrass that designer guy. If her clothes are good, they should work on everyone.

Way to bogart the 92nd St. Y (which, hee; that space looked like a middle school auditorium at best) talk, Ryan. Gah. It wasn't about you at the moment. The only way he could have made it worse was to propose.

Jane, you're giving Pinstripe an ultimatum, and that never ends well.

Sutton continues to be the only one of the three with any kind of sense.

• Love 8
(edited)

Oh yeah, I so called Jane wanting to do a story about getting cheated on! You know that she was secretly super excited to get that chance! I do think that Pinstripe is sorry, but between his wandering eye and her self importance, I dont see this ending well. Not to harp on this, but this wouldn't have happened with Dr. Ben, Jane. I also noticed how every quiz question about how she would support her partner, Jane ignored. Shocking! But then Ryan was cool ambushing her at a work event and making an event about empowerment and raising your voice about him, so maybe they're a super self obsessed match made in heaven?

The whole "real women" thing Sutton came up with was a cool idea, but Jane and Kat are so classically beautiful, they might as well have been models already. 

Poor Tia, what a weird crappy first w/w relationship. Kat might be doing the Kelly Taylor thing for now, but now that Adeena is back in town, their reunion is inevitable. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

WHHHHYYYYY? I don't want Adena around all the time, I don't want Adena around any of the time. They're doing the Sutton/Richard on again off again relationship thing again only with Kat & Adena. I didn't like it with Sutton & Richard, I don't like it with Kat & Adena.

I didn't realize this was the season finale, the season felt short.

• Love 5

Love this interview with the actress who plays Kat:

You know, I never really had much to do with “the Dot Com.” I don’t think I ever had to say it myself. I wasn’t super involved in that story line, whereas Jane is writing for “the Dot Com,” but she doesn’t want to write for “the Dot Com.” But, like, why don’t you want to, bitch? Everyone’s on the internet. Who’s buying magazines anymore? 

It also alerted me to this supercut of every time "the Dot Com" has been mentioned on the show.

Meanwhile, that was certainly... an ending. No one at this magazine understands the line between editorial and advertising and they deserve to go out of business. 

• Love 4

oh goody, a cliffhanger.

But unless they are shutting down Scarlett completely, there is no need to clean out the office if its just Jaqueline and the magazine that get the boot. Dot Com people need somewhere to work too.

And even with my biggest TV hat on, dismantling a magazine over night isn't the smarted business decision either.

Its sad that on a female led show my favourite character this season was Patrick? While he really grinds Jane's gears (which I really enjoy just a tad too much), he seems to be a great boss to Kat. They both understand their medium and there is professional respect and understanding there, and its cute when they get excited over their ideas.

The story about the photographer? I expected a big media blow out and found it a bit underwhelming that it was just used to set up a possible Jaqueline/magazine downfall.

The girls' stories were all pretty much in character. Of course Jane defaults to writing a story - especially writing it before she came to terms with her feelings and decided what to do.

The Kat/Adena stories next season are gonna be so annoying.

And finally: Poor Tia.

• Love 4

There is nothing worse than the guy who stands up at a panel to “ask a question” but actually gives a self-centered or self-involved diatribe. I’d dump Ryan for that, regardless of the cheating. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, retrograde said:

Meanwhile, that was certainly... an ending. No one at this magazine understands the line between editorial and advertising and they deserve to go out of business. 

Didn't Patrick kind of understand it until he saw the light of Jacqueline. I was rooting for Patrick not to change the online magazine. 

So Jacqueline decided to change the magazine because of 14 year old models? Okay. 

Sigh. Poor Tia. Kat who was her boss basically chased her when Tia said she was not interested. Tia then gets with Kat only to be dumped when Adena comes back int the picture. I realize that Kat Kelly Taylor-ed herself, but we all know that she is going back to Adena, especially since Adena works at Scarlett now too. Though Scarlett seems to be defunct.

On 5/1/2019 at 10:46 PM, retrograde said:

Sorry, can't delete the box above from last week. Anyway, this season was awful and I'm wondering why I watched the whole thing.

Disagree with "if the clothes are good they'll work on everyone" because that's just not true. There are some styles that are going to work beautifully on tall standard model types that will fail miserably on a shorter, though slim girl, or a plus-sized girl, as we saw each week on Project Runway.

I think my favorite thing about the season was the Kelly Taylor reference you guys made. I love how the theory has held up all these years.

• Love 3

Well...that was a lot of bland fuckery. Sutton changed her career path again for the second time in what, six weeks? So Sutton and Richard threw thousands at the class and sewing machine for her to (re)discover that the job she was already working was her real passion.

Pinstripe sucks most of all for handing Jane that crumpled up love quiz as a genuine ultimatum like he's a 13-year-old girl.

Speaking of which, I don't buy that Jacqueline wouldn't legally have to know some models were underage.

At least Kat didn't outright cheat, but it's still shitty to string Tia along with "I'm probably going back to my ex, but I want you around as a safety blanket" before dumping her 3 days later. Again, this would be seen as an awful storyline with a m/f pairing.

We're supposed to think Scarlet might be shutting down when they just gave Adena a full-time job. Sure.   

• Love 5
1 hour ago, politichick said:

Disagree with "if the clothes are good they'll work on everyone" because that's just not true. There are some styles that are going to work beautifully on tall standard model types that will fail miserably on a shorter, though slim girl, or a plus-sized girl, as we saw each week on Project Runway.

Of course, but Sutton was talking about dressing "real" women—i.e., women who aren't tall standard model types—so presumably her designs reflect that. They should work on basically everyone.

31 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Speaking of which, I don't buy that Jacqueline wouldn't legally have to know some models were underage.

It's not about not knowing the age of the model, it's about protecting them from abuse because they're underage and more likely to feel unable to say anything. Legally, underage girls can model professionally. IRL, it's only in the past year or so that Vogue and other magazines have pledged NOT to hire models under 18 unless there is a specific reason (like a mother-daughter story, for instance), and they've also come up with some (voluntary) guidelines that are supposed to protect all models from harassment and abuse.

• Love 3
(edited)

Yet again, the magazine's and Jacqueline's fate is up in the air in the season finale. I think this show could be so much better if they got rid of Jacqueline aka Joanna Coles. Coles' involvement with the show ties the writer's hands. Count me in the camp of loving Patrick and wanting him to come back just to make Jane miserable.

I follow some of the writers on Twitter and want to troll them for how proud they are of their complete inability to tell a linear story or depict a reasonably plausible work environment. Creative license is one thing. Kat flitting off after Jacqueline told everyone they needed to buckle down and re-do the issue is a god damn fairy tale.

Jane and PinstriPe are both self-involved and immature in equal measure.

Edited by sashayshante
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, sashayshante said:

Creative license is one thing. Kat flitting off after Jacqueline told everyone they needed to buckle down and re-do the issue is a god damn fairy tale.

That cracked me up. "We have months of work to do in 18 hours, we need all hands on deck!" "I think I'll take an extended lunch in the park, first thing!"

Hell, I'm surprised the three gals didn't go for some quick drinks first.

Edited by gesundheit
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, gesundheit said:
1 hour ago, sashayshante said:

Creative license is one thing. Kat flitting off after Jacqueline told everyone they needed to buckle down and re-do the issue is a god damn fairy tale.

That cracked me up. "We have months of work to do in 18 hours, we need all hands on deck!" "I think I'll take an extended lunch in the park, first thing!"

Hell, I'm surprised the three gals didn't go for some quick drinks first.

Or spend a few hours in the fashion closet talking about their love lives.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Well...that was a lot of bland fuckery. Sutton changed her career path again for the second time in what, six weeks? So Sutton and Richard threw thousands at the class and sewing machine for her to (re)discover that the job she was already working was her real passion.   

I don't mind what they did with Sutton. She thought she wanted to be a designer so she tried the seminar and realized she didn't really want it. She wouldn't have ever known if she didn't try it. And it's not like she is now thinking of a totally different career like becoming a politician. But I hope there is something for her to do at Scarlett between being an assistant and being taking over when Oliver retires. She works harder than the rest of the characters she deserves a promotion.

18 hours ago, retrograde said:

Love this interview with the actress who plays Kat:

That is a really great interview. She seems much more likable than her character (and I don't even dislike the character).

The ending cliffhanger was weird, because even if they were shutting down Scarlett, they would probably fire everyone before they got movers to come in and clear out all those desks. At the company where I work it takes days to get them to change a light bulb.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Who Is the Best Co-worker on The Bold Type?

Jane's section is so accurate it hurts. 

I want to marry the author for that section alone:

Jane Sloan, Writer

PROS: Will leave you alone because she’s very busy doing “important” stuff; passionate?
CONS: Creates her own work hours; makes everything about her; is one of those people who’s like, “This is so bad, I’m awful” and then wins awards; if she thinks you don’t deserve your job, she will try to take you down without knowing anything about your life; is somehow always in the middle of the crisis; has a problem with every assignment; yells at editor-in-chief in front of everyone; wears a harness-purse-strap-hybrid-dress thing on her first day of work, which is so insane it would definitely be the only thing I could ever think about and would distract me so much that it would ultimately lead to me losing my job.
Would She Be a Good Co-worker? Might as well be microwaving salmon.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

Kat's, too. "Works three hours a week."

Beautiful.

Even my mother, who only half-watches, asked "Their editor just said they have a huge deadline at the end of the day, so she went for a walk with the new girl, and now she's just leaving in the middle of the day again to go have sex with the other one?"

I wish my work was cool with me having spontaneous booty calls with my ex on the clock!

• Love 6