Type keyword(s) to search

The Bold Type - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I know he's a minor character, but I really like Andrew. And Andrew-in-drag was adorable!

Alex and Alicia: Show went in a different direction than I thought with that awkward situation. They made it more about Allicia's admitting that she really was afraid, despite pretending to have it all under control. What was implied (her admiring Andrew's bravery), though left unsaid, was possibly her disappointment that Alex didn't thump his chest against the jerk in the bar, defending " his woman". 

Frankly, I'm glad Alex didn't. It often takes a bigger man to walk away. I hope this kind of thing doesn't become an issue between them.

Jacqueline and Ian: I appreciate his determination to work on their relationship, but maybe scheduling tennis dates in the middle of a workday isn't the best idea. In her type of work environment, something is ALWAYS going to come up in the middle of the day. It's frustrating, but it's the nature of the beast. That said, he wasn't really wrong about J's "gotta be right" attitude in general. And, good on J for owning up to it and apologizing. Maybe they're going to be okay.

Richard and Sutton: What a mess. I'm glad the show is tackling the "real" of this issue. A 26 year old woman and a 41 year old man really don't tend to have a lot in common in terms of short term life goals. Once upon a time, when women's ambitions were limited, sure, marrying an older rich guy and popping out babies and organizing the family's social life to support the husband's upward mobility WAS a life goal. But a 26-year old woman with professional goals of her own IS more likely to delay having children. And heaven forbid that a woman decide she doesn't want to have children, whatever her career goals may or may not be. 

At least Richard acknowledged that they didn't really listen to each other, so they were both at fault in this. But hey, when the sex is good, nitty-gritty issues can be easy to gloss over. 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, TVForever said:

What was implied (her admiring Andrew's bravery), though left unsaid, was possibly her disappointment that Alex didn't thump his chest against the jerk in the bar, defending " his woman". 

Alicia pretty much came out and said she was disappointed Alex didn't do anything when she admitted she was surprised she felt that way. Theory vs. reality. But I'm also glad Alex didn't get physical with the guy. In some ways, it made it all the better that it was Andrew in drag who jumped in—it shows anyone can stick up for anyone. That's a much better message than Alex feeling inadequate, I think.

1 hour ago, TVForever said:

Jacqueline and Ian: I appreciate his determination to work on their relationship, but maybe scheduling tennis dates in the middle of a workday isn't the best idea. In her type of work environment, something is ALWAYS going to come up in the middle of the day. It's frustrating, but it's the nature of the beast.

I thought they were getting away more toward the end of the day—like 4ish—but your point remains. Jacqueline's job is pretty all-consuming. I bet part of the timing was so she would turn off her phone and focus on Ian, something she fails to do on a regular basis. And see my earlier comments on the inappropriateness of Richard talking to her about Sutton, her employee.

• Love 2

I've been thinking about this Kat and Ava thing, and the only part I'm looking forward to is seeing how Jane and Sutton react. This is the first time two of the girls have actively disliked another one's partner/potential FWB/whatever, right? That could be an interesting thing to explore. 

I hate that Kat and Sutton are teasing Jane about her employee. It would be a huge deal and a very bad idea for her to hook up with him, and they're being so flippant about it.

I like how they've handled Sutton and Richard's conflict so far. I hope they don't mess it up by having either of them compromise to stay together. That just doesn't work with something this big.

• Love 1

@UNOSEZ that Ava/Kat article is interesting, and I totally agree with the author. It's a bad look to have Kat lusting over a hardcore right-wing Republican, especially right now. Ava being horny for Kat (probably) isn't going to make her a better person. But this show has always been about superficial, performative wokeness as opposed to actual social critique. Jane and Kat and Adena (to a lesser extent) never care about real change - they want the instant gratification of point scoring. They want to get off on their own perceived moral superiority. That's it. Look no further than Jane/Scott admitting they want to bang while writing a #MeToo expose! The show cares about social justice until it's inconvenient for the characters, lol.

I just wanna talk to whatever Love Actually fan in the writers' room commandeered this episode. The cheesy framing monologue, the unnecessary segment division with the hokey titles, the insufferably slow pacing. I get wanting to experiment with format, but not format from 2004.

Sutton/Richard - much like Jane/Pinstripe, shit or get off the pot. This is their most nuanced, believable conflict and both actors gave phenomenal performances. I do appreciate that they at least attempted to explain why the kid issue hadn't come up earlier. But they've almost broken up like 25 times. Just move on. The format of the episode, between the time stamps and ignoring Sutton's calls, made me think we were building up Sutton getting hit by a car or something after leaving the bar. A divorced Sutton is much better than a dead one. 

• Love 3

https://tvline.com/2020/07/15/the-bold-type-aisha-dee-black-representation-kat-eva-storyline/#comment-list-wrapper

Well glad I wasn't the only one.. The SL just felt odd.. Not that dating or being attracted to someone with a diff party affiliation is that wild.. I've done it personally.. But that was Pre- President Trump and she wasn't as Conservative as this Eva/Ava character is... So not really interested in the re-education of Ava Safford... 
As to Aisha's other points.. Bravo.. I mean I could tell from the show ( which I watch every week)  that it has a very narrow POV and it comes across as performative wokeness at times.. Because the writers room was most likely very monochrome and homogenous 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It’s also an unfair representation of LGBTQ+ people for the writers to have Kat hook up with literally every lesbian she meets as if that’s the only qualification for attraction. She needs to make some gay or bisexual platonic friends. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

https://tvline.com/2020/07/15/the-bold-type-aisha-dee-black-representation-kat-eva-storyline/#comment-list-wrapper

Well glad I wasn't the only one.. The SL just felt odd.. Not that dating or being attracted to someone with a diff party affiliation is that wild.. I've done it personally.. But that was Pre- President Trump and she wasn't as Conservative as this Eva/Ava character is... So not really interested in the re-education of Ava Safford... 
As to Aisha's other points.. Bravo.. I mean I could tell from the show ( which I watch every week)  that it has a very narrow POV and it comes across as performative wokeness at times.. Because the writers room was most likely very monochrome and homogenous 

I also found it interesting that Aisha noted the lack of Black and/or Muslim writers and the show replied that there are "POC in the writers' room".  We all know POC doesn't only mean Black, so their statement doesn't really address Aisha's complaints. While I don't know who all of their writers are, it was telling to me that they didn't specifically say the writers were Black or Muslim.

• Love 1

By my count, this season's writers appear to have included 2 black women, 1 Latina, and 1 Indian American guy. I'm not sure who the 5th POC writer is; finding pictures and/or other online evidence of ethnicity/race isn't always easy.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Aisha Dee calls for more diversity behind the scenes.

Aisha must really not be happy to be criticizing a storyline in real time. I'd imagine the Twitter backlash is also significant. Even though she's not a writer, she obviously feels responsible for Kat and to the fans. It's an awkward position to be morally conflicted about a job you used to love. She's basically Kat irl now. I don't blame her though. It has to be annoying when people who aren't in your community think they can accurately portray your lived experiences.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, marny said:

I also found it interesting that Aisha noted the lack of Black and/or Muslim writers and the show replied that there are "POC in the writers' room".  We all know POC doesn't only mean Black, so their statement doesn't really address Aisha's complaints. While I don't know who all of their writers are, it was telling to me that they didn't specifically say the writers were Black or Muslim.

4 hours ago, CRT said:

By my count, this season's writers appear to have included 2 black women, 1 Latina, and 1 Indian American guy. I'm not sure who the 5th POC writer is; finding pictures and/or other online evidence of ethnicity/race isn't always easy.

She actually said it took 2 seasons before they were able to get any BIPOC in the writers room and that "there have never been any queer Black or Muslim writers in the room", speaking to the intersectionality that comes with those multiple identities.  And @marny is right, responding that there are POCs doesn't really address her issues with the lack of representation.  For example, on Insecure, when they expanded the role of Andrew, Molly's boyfriend, in this most recent season, they brought on a writer who was Asian and also had been in a long-term relationship with a black woman who could speak with authenticity to some of the character beats and motivations.  This is what Aisha is referring to.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I definitely think there are issues with the Kat/Ava storyline, but do we really know that much about Ava's views other than "Republican." That's a pretty broad category and the show has been pretty superficial about it. Her father supports conversion therapy, and she clearly still speaks to her father, but she has said she's against it.  And unless I am forgetting something, I don't recall her making any comments suggesting she's racist, which the Huff Post article implied.

Now, I don't really see Kat as someone who could handle a relationship with someone who disagrees with her about anything, so it is clearly a bad idea. And it seems messed up that she hears Ava is a lesbian and suddenly starts fantasizing about her when she had hated her five minutes earlier.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I definitely think there are issues with the Kat/Ava storyline, but do we really know that much about Ava's views other than "Republican." That's a pretty broad category and the show has been pretty superficial about it. Her father supports conversion therapy, and she clearly still speaks to her father, but she has said she's against it.  And unless I am forgetting something, I don't recall her making any comments suggesting she's racist, which the Huff Post article implied.

Now, I don't really see Kat as someone who could handle a relationship with someone who disagrees with her about anything, so it is clearly a bad idea. And it seems messed up that she hears Ava is a lesbian and suddenly starts fantasizing about her when she had hated her five minutes earlier.

My complaint isn't so much what Ava has said she's for or against because ppl have diff views about issues.. My fear is that, Kat will end up playing a magical negro in her own storyline.. And that pisses me off because 1..  Magical negro but also.. 2. Ava seems pretty intelligent which means she's aware of what's out there.. If her views are suddenly changed and softened thanks to the almighty power of uber-lesbian Kat it also does a disservice to the Ava character who should be able to (and by now if we believe that she goes places that also challenge her beliefs)  make decisions regardless of who she's smushing 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

My complaint isn't so much what Ava has said she's for or against because ppl have diff views about issues.. My fear is that, Kat will end up playing a magical negro in her own storyline.. And that pisses me off because 1..  Magical negro but also.. 2. Ava seems pretty intelligent which means she's aware of what's out there.. If her views are suddenly changed and softened thanks to the almighty power of uber-lesbian Kat it also does a disservice to the Ava character who should be able to (and by now if we believe that she goes places that also challenge her beliefs)  make decisions regardless of who she's smushing 

Well if the whole storyline ends up being about Ava suddenly seeing her late and changing her views, I will be annoyed too. That is just bad writing.

• Love 2
(edited)

Not gonna lie, I was infuriated at Kat’s line that she was “learning so much from Eva.”  And her acting enlightened by Eva’s comment on that tv show about them both “wanting to make the world a better place” without their being any pushback from Kat about what “a better place” means to someone like Eva. I’m guessing Eva’s “better place” doesn’t look anything like Kat’s. I was mad that the show tried to make this seem like some sort of common ground rather than just Eva applying her media training. 

I read this morning that the text Kat wrote telling Eva she couldn’t be with her was a last minute script change in the show. I truly hope this is the last we see of this relationship. The whole thing was really damaging to Kat’s character. When Jane seems like the voice of reason...

I’m not saying the show can’t or shouldn’t present different viewpoints, but this storyline was so lacking in depth or nuance that it just made Kat seem like someone whose principles are easily eschewed by her libido.

Edited by marny
  • Love 2

Oh also, if Jaqueline is so concerned that the story about that gross company is going to seem like a vendetta, she should assign a different person to supervise Jane on the case and wall herself off from it to reduce the appearance of impropriety. Or, she could have given permission to Jane to turn the story over to another news outlet. The fact that she didn’t even consider doing any of that as a potential solution shows her desire to kill the story was more about protecting her personal life. Which honestly isn’t much better than what the NBC people did to Ronan Farrow. 

• Love 7

I can't remember if there ever was a hint about Sutton sleeping around before Richard, but that story seemed a bit out of character. Yes, she is hurting, was drunk and he was into it, but it came after he told her about his children and she knows his wife. Did the dude say anything about his wife or that his marriage wasn't great anymore?

Anyway, congratulations, you're a homewrecker now. The stuff about her mother relapsing was very sad though. Will her professional performance now get dented by a potential shift towards an alcoholic party girl?

Jane Sloane, the future of Scaret magazine and target audience to the puffy sleeve industry.

Eva might have questional views on many things, but her approach to whatever the relationship between her and Kat is (was) is far more grown up and permitting towards their different views. Looking at Kat, it looks more like lust and the temptation of the forbidden fruit. If it wasn't for their completely different political views, I'd welcome her getting with someone who has a mature approach towards a relationship.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, marny said:

Oh also, if Jaqueline is so concerned that the story about that gross company is going to seem like a vendetta, she should assign a different person to supervise Jane on the case and wall herself off from it to reduce the appearance of impropriety. Or, she could have given permission to Jane to turn the story over to another news outlet. The fact that she didn’t even consider doing any of that as a potential solution shows her desire to kill the story was more about protecting her personal life. Which honestly isn’t much better than what the NBC people did to Ronan Farrow. 

Exactly.  There were many options Jaqueline could have taken to still maintain journalistic integrity with this story other than killing it completely.  Also, this seemed very out of character for her, given how professional, level-headed, and thoughtful they've presented as since the beginning show.  I could see her taking time to think through how best to handle it, having another conversation with her husband about it, and even pulling Jane into a closed door meeting to strategize potential options before making a decision.  What we saw, was way left field and not very Jaqueline at all.  

I'm mad at Kat for making me agree with Jane.....

giphy.gif

• Love 5

It's really dumb everyone at the Belle is suddenly having issues with Eva's politics. It's not as if she ever hid anything. It doesn't say much about the club if it can't handle different points of view when that's one of its charters.

Also, does "Scarlet" not have a deputy editor? That's who should be handling things when Jacqueline takes time away, not Junior Editor Jane. And a deputy editor could be part of the siloing for stories that need them.

It's too bad this is the episode the show had to end on. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

It's really dumb everyone at the Belle is suddenly having issues with Eva's politics. It's not as if she ever hid anything. It doesn't say much about the club if it can't handle different points of view when that's one of its charters.

Especially when they had that Conservative/Republican mixer for members last week that Kat attended to prove that she could debate them without getting heated. Such nonsense.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Artsda said:

So Richard's been gone 3 days and she has sex with her highschool boyfriend who is married with kids? Will they do a who's the daddy?

That was my first thought as well, but I really hope not. Based on the last scene it looks like they are going for a "watch Sutton spiral" storyline. I'm not looking forward to that either.

7 hours ago, Aulty said:

I can't remember if there ever was a hint about Sutton sleeping around before Richard, but that story seemed a bit out of character. Yes, she is hurting, was drunk and he was into it, but it came after he told her about his children and she knows his wife. Did the dude say anything about his wife or that his marriage wasn't great anymore?

There was that episode while she and Richard were broken up where she had a random hook up that she thought was a one night stand, but he pursued her. Then we found out the guy was actually married. But she was pissed about that, she had no idea. The HS boyfriend didn't say anything about his marriage not being great, he seemed pretty happy. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, marny said:

I’m not saying the show can’t or shouldn’t present different viewpoints, but this storyline was so lacking in depth or nuance that it just made Kat seem like someone whose principles are easily eschewed by her libido.

It's because apparently Kat can't meet another lesbian without having sex with her. Was she like that with men?

Wasn't the apartment Richard & Sutton were living in Richard's? Why is he the one who left it?

13 minutes ago, GaT said:

Wasn't the apartment Richard & Sutton were living in Richard's? Why is he the one who left it?

Cause he's the one who decided to end things? And has money to go somewhere else. Doesn't he still have a place in San Francisco?

I assume that if they start divorce proceedings they'll settle who lives where and the financial stuff. Sutton will likely not get to stay there forever.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, GaT said:

It's because apparently Kat can't meet another lesbian without having sex with her. Was she like that with men?

She has a healthy sexual appetite, IMO.

15 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Cause he's the one who decided to end things?

That reminded me of the end of "The Valley of the Dolls" movie, when a boyfriend goes to Anne's house to propose to her, and when she turns him down, he tells her to get out of her house because he's upset! And she does! Uh, that's not how it works, dude. LOL. In this case, Richard was right to leave. 

• Love 2
(edited)

This finale was pretty underwhelming and didn’t feel like a finale - I wonder if they had to shut down production early because of coronavirus. At the very least, I was surprised they didn’t have any resolution to the Jane/Scott debacle because the writers have done a lot of what they think is sexy buildup to it, now with no payoff either way. Actually, thinking about it, none of the storylines were really resolved, which makes me think they had one more episode to go but had to shut down and slap together those weird little text moments as “resolutions” - Alex’s and Kat’s plots were hardly scenarios that would be resolved with a single tweet/text. 

I naïvely assumed the high school boyfriend was separated and also naïvely assumed Sutton thought  the same thing. They won’t do another pregnancy plot with Sutton because she just had the miscarriage, but I also have very little interest in watching her spiral. The good doctor just did the exact same plot with Claire who also had an alcoholic mother and it did nothing for either the character or anyone in her circle. It was just a bunch of scenes of her staring vacantly into the distance while drinking or having mindless sex. Misery porn isn’t good writing or profound - it’s lazy and a signal you’ve given up on actually writing for your characters. How long has Richard even been gone? He’s obviously going to come back even if it’s just for them to officially agree to divorce. Sutton is the last good character at this point, so I’m not looking forward to her transformation into an obnoxious party girl who pushes everyone away. 

Everything about Kat/Eva was cringe. Pretty rich that JANE was the one who shamed her for it. The entire execution of Eva's character is a mess.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

This finale was pretty underwhelming and didn’t feel like a finale - I wonder if they had to shut down production early because of coronavirus.

There are two episodes they couldn't film.

• Love 2

Every relationship Kat has is so messy messy messy. The least messy relationship we have seen her in was probably the guy she pegged, and that guy just disappeared off the face of the Earth! Obviously this thing with Eva would be a mess, such a mess that finally the writers found a clue and ended the whole thing with a brief text. 

What a sorry way to end the season, we got no closure for anything really, people act random and out of character, and nothing that they are setting up seems interesting. Jacqueline cutting Jane's story seems really rash considering how cool headed and professional she normally is, everyone at the Belle suddenly freaking out about having Eva as a member because of how right wing she is even though she has been a member for quite awhile apparently without incident, and she is certainly not hiding her political beliefs, so I dont get what the issue is, and now Sutton banging her married ex boyfriend. 

Sutton is my favorite character, so I am so not excited to watch her in a downwards spiral where she gets drunk and sleeps with married men and pushes everyone away and lies about how she is doing. We could have had an interesting and fun plot for her where she navigates married life, especially being the first of her friend group to get married, but for some reason I cant understand, they decided to instead to make us watch her fall into what seems like a big depressing misery porn plot. Can you not do this to my favorite character please?

• Love 7

I wonder how they were originally going to end the season.

Am I the only one who thinks the Belle looks boring? I guess it's good for networking purposes, and they do occasionally have seminars, but it basically just looks like a hotel lobby with a bar. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 5

6 episodes is not a lot to wrap up the mess that was season 4.

Place your bets: How many happily ever afters we will get? I doubt we'll see Pinstripe again, but Adena will be back and there is always a possibility of Richard popping up again aswell.

• Love 2

If the show is just going to end in 6 episodes, I wish they hadn't bothered to split up Sutton and Richard. The whole point seemed to be to create drama, but how much can we fit in now. I don't see how they could get them back together in just a few episodes though, or introduce a new guy, so I think Sutton's happy ending will be her career. I am okay with that.

Kat will likely get back with Adena and Jane will become the new boss of Scarlett (or something equally unrealistic).

38 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I wish they hadn't bothered to split up Sutton and Richard. The whole point seemed to be to create drama, but how much can we fit in now. I don't see how they could get them back together in just a few episodes though

They split because they disagreed about kids, which is a pretty big issue. I'd rather not see one of them give in just so they can be together in the end. I agree that Sutton loving her work is a good happy ending for her.

40 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Kat will likely get back with Adena and Jane will become the new boss of Scarlett (or something equally unrealistic).

If anyone becomes the new editor at Scarlet, it will likely be the world's best writer, Jane. Heh.

• Love 1

I recently started to binge this, and was down to the last 4 episodes when I knew it was going to take a turn because the announcement of season 5 spoiled me...Sam Page wasn't at the table read & they announced Meghan Fahy as Sutton Brady, not "Brady-Hunter". Still though, I was down to the last 4, how much could have actually happened? Yikes.

Anyway, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought Kat's 4 episode girlfriend was out of left field...when she said Eva's name in bed, I didn't know that wasn't her name. 🤷‍♀️

16 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Jane will become the new boss of Scarlett (or something equally unrealistic).

15 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

If anyone becomes the new editor at Scarlet, it will likely be the world's best writer, Jane. Heh.

Those bastards in the writers room would totally do this! I can already see  it....

tenor.gif

• LOL 2
On 4/10/2019 at 4:39 PM, Jillybean said:

I wonder what ages the characters are actually supposed to be. Meghann Fahy (Sutton) will be 29 this month, and Sam Page (Richard) is 42. At least the show acknowledges the age difference...?  Interestingly, both actors have done Hallmark movies.

Melora Hardin is actually around 8 years older than Sam Page, which would make for an interesting vibe on the show. Isn't Jacqueline married, though? I feel like they've been styling her older as of late (she's only 51).

I don't really know why I watch this show since I'm pretty close to Melora's age and obviously not the target demo. And I've definitely never heard of the aptly named Betty Who.

Just based on looks alone, Sutton and Richard seem much closer in age. Sutton looks and behaves older than Jane and Kat, but I think they're all supposed to be the same age. The nature of Sutton's job makes the age difference between her and Richard more prominent. In certain industries, an assistant is an entry-level role you have hopefully on your way to something else like a writer, editor, stylist, publicist, etc. Notice how Richard has an executive assistant who appears to be a mature professional - and her attire is so much different. If Sutton were in a different job that's not considered a stepping stone to something else, I don't think the age difference would be as big of a deal. They mesh well. 

Richard and Jacqueline get along well, but their relationship reminds me more of Jessica/Harvey on Suits. They're professional friends but she's someone he looks up to, not in a romantic way. Jacqueline seems to be in her late 50s so it would still be a big age difference. She's likely not going to have more kids.

Also, Richard is actually pretty young to be a board member - and is he supposed to be the General Counsel? It's interesting we don't hear more about Richard is the youngest board member. 

Edited by love2lovebadtv
On 4/17/2019 at 6:32 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Oliver's storyline is a blatant ripoff of Karamo from Queer Eye (he unknowingly got his best friend pregnant when they were 14, after seeing him on The Real World she introduced him to their son at age 10, since she was struggling financially he offered to adopt him and his little brother). 

I don't think it's a ripoff at all. Oliver is fostering his ex's child, not his own recently discovered biological child. It's hard to thinking of it as a knockoff of any storyline because fostering the child of a friend, ex, family member, etc. is pretty common in real life.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:12 PM, Bubbles said:

Jane and Pinstripe have good chemistry, but I hate the "reformed player" trope so much. Also, I call shenanigans on him being Mr. Perfect Boyfriend. Relationship skills take some practice, and dude was a player until like five minutes ago. 

I was thinking the same thing. Though, I wonder how much of Pinstripe's persona was tied to his job. 

On 5/1/2019 at 1:55 PM, gesundheit said:

Kat is an adult human woman in NYC who went to college and has had an abortion in her life and has never heard of a Crisis Pregnancy Center? Give me a break.

I can totally buy that she's not familiar with clinics, or Crisis Pregnancy Centers. I have worked with college-age women in NYC and those who come from a background like Kat's tend to talk to their parents and go to a private doctor. One of the young ladies I worked with didn't disclose to her parents but they found out because she used the family's health insurance plan. 

On 5/3/2019 at 3:37 PM, sashayshante said:

Sadly, I've never been part of an on or offline community for women where older women weren't dismissive and insulting towards younger female colleagues and vice versa. The way they depict the Scarlett offices as a drama/conflict free zone is disingenuous. I'd love to see a storyline where two women characters hash out a tense relationship by  acknowledging they're perpetuating a stereotype by sniping or backstabbing each other.

It would be more realistic to see more insults. Not everyone would be embracing Jacqueline's decades of expertise. And lots of people would be calling out Kat's being a director of anything. We'd see more tension surrounding Sutton's relationship with Richard - but since she's still trying to get out of the assistant role, I can see why that doesn't happen as much as expected. 

Also, I know the show started making race an actual thing on the show, the way it is a huge topic in the US, but Jane not getting a job because of "diversity hiring" could have been for a bunch of different reasons. She assumed she was the most qualified for the job. Classic Jane.

On 5/7/2019 at 10:48 PM, UNOSEZ said:

Its tropey.. But its not false.. Especially for a couple where the guy is further along in his life and is envisioning leaving a legacy... Of course this is the type of shit you discuss before leaving your beautiful accomplished age appropriate fiancé for the completely awesome but very young Sutton who's still figuring out her life... 

Yep, it's definitely realistic, especially for someone like Sutton who feels like her career is stunted and also didn't have healthy parenting examples. Richard wasn't engaged (remember, that was Jane jumping to conclusions) and if he were engaged to the lawyer, they could have easily had different ideas about whether to have children and when. And just because she's older doesn't mean she isn't also figuring out her life. Trying to fast-track a relationship with Richard after a 10-year hiatus doesn't made it seem like she still had a lot to figure out.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:23 PM, dubbel zout said:

I don't know about the timing of talking about kids/no kids. They've only just moved in together. That might be enough for them to decide they aren't compatible. They're still figuring out how to navigate talking/not talking about work. Kids are a ways off, IMO. 

I would think they would have talked about kids before moving in together. Moving in is a big commitment and the longer you go without having conversations about your ultimate goals as individuals and as a couple, the more complicated it is. 

On 5/8/2019 at 12:47 PM, gesundheit said:

Frankly I thought Sutton's shock and hurt at someone implying that she's in a "phase" was hilarious. Girl's only wanted to be a designer for like 3 weeks. I love her, but come on now. This is her third big career plan shift in a year.

I don't recall any other career shifts. Her assistant role was something she landed as a temp for a paycheck. The ad sales job paid more money but she was never interested in it. She mentioned her early interest in fashion that she didn't openly share because she didn't want to be a stereotype. 

On 5/10/2019 at 5:10 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Why do they think anyone cares about Richard and Sutton in general, much less contrived suburban tensions? Sutton basically wants a sugar daddy and ego boost of banging her superior. I don't get why either of them are shocked that they're on different timelines to have kids with a 14 year age gap. 

I think Sutton is great and definitely NOT looking for a sugar daddy. She's my favorite!

Edited by love2lovebadtv
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

And lots of people would be calling out Kat's being a director of anything.

Kat being Director of Social Media seems pretty realistic. In the past few years, lots of early-to-mid 20-somethings have been hired into similar roles because of social media advertising/influencing becoming so huge so quickly. I've seen it at several organizations I've worked with/for. And similar to Kat, they had no fucking business being in charge of other people or having final oversight of what gets published publicly for the org.

• Love 1

With Bold Type and Younger, both shows about Millenials in the publishing world, coming to a close I am really looking forward to see what future Gen Z variations on these stories will look like.

• Love 2

E05E01: "Trust Fall" SEASON PREMIERE  Jane races to finish a high-risk expose that could have repercussions for Jacqueline. Sutton has a chance to shine at a Scarlet retreat if she can regain her focus. And Kat wants to stay true to herself while making a big decision.

Airs on May 26th

• Love 1