Type keyword(s) to search

The Bold Type - General Discussion

• Start Topic

That article is so on point! Jane is so that co-worker who is always in crisis, even if the “crisis” is totally stupid. She’s like the female energy vampire from What We Do In The Shadows who thrives off telling uninteresting stories about her various super dramatic personal issues. And if I was her co-worker I’d be worried that one day she might decide I wasn’t right for the job and try to get me fired like with Patrick.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

She’s like the female energy vampire from What We Do In The Shadows who thrives off telling uninteresting stories about her various super dramatic personal issues.

OMG that is so hitting the nail on the head!

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 5

I’m not entirely happy with this season, but I’m just in love with this show. I adore Sutton and it’s just the perfect summer watch. I’m glad we’re getting more of this show! I would prefer a longer season though.

• Love 4
On 5/22/2019 at 2:56 AM, mamadrama said:

I hate that, too, and it's one of the reasons why I have a problem with FRIED GREEN TOMATOES (the book, not necessarily the movie). In the movie they're BFFs and have this solid, nonsexual bond. In the book, however, there's definitely a romance there. Sometimes I think that's a cop out. Women's relationships with each other can be very complicated and unique and sometimes the lines get blurred a little, even though neither is really sexually attracted to the other.

(Sorry for being off-topic somewhat, but...) I'm sympathetic to your larger point, but you couldn't have picked a more inappropriate example.

The author, Fannie Flagg, is a lesbian who had the courage to write, in only her second book ever, a book released in 1989 and marketed to general audiences rather than hidden away in Lesbian Fiction, a lesbian romance as the heart and soul of her novel. Flagg went on to write (and be nominated for) the screenplay for the movie adaptation. Despite the fact the movie was released in 1992, it actually wasn't "nonsexual" as you describe; although she could only go so far, she made sure to include coding so that queer viewers and knowledgeable straight viewers still got the touching lesbian romance of the book. (I hadn't even read the book first and I knew from the coding that Ruth and Idgie were not only best friends.) Some more explicit moments were cut, but what the filmmakers were able to keep in was enough. For 1992, anyway. Queer viewers understood it had to be implicit.

I understand the frustration that comes as a result of a culture that currently insists that that an adult's most important adult relationship is with their romantic partner, and so if there's a very deep friendship that seems to be on par or even above, people read in a romantic/sexual element. (You might be interested in Rebecca Traister's All the Single Ladies, which includes a terrific examination of how women's friendships were treated historically and then, recently, purposely devalued.) But don't hijack what was always conceived and written as a lesbian romance in both book and film as an example of this. That erases Flagg's bravery for writing a lesbian romance in a 1989 general fiction novel, and in not allowing it to be utterly straightwashed for the 1992 film, as well as her brilliance in her screenplay in finding a balance where the delicate sensibilities of circa-1992 straight viewers were protected and they could remain oblivious while queer viewers didn't find one of the few lesbian romances they had back then erased. Find an example where the relationship was conceived as a platonic friendship and then had romantic/sexual elements read into it by others because it's considered weird/impossible for women to have a platonic friendship that's above a certain level of accepted importance and emotional intimacy.

• Love 6
On 7/22/2019 at 8:13 PM, Black Knight said:

(Sorry for being off-topic somewhat, but...) I'm sympathetic to your larger point, but you couldn't have picked a more inappropriate example.

The author, Fannie Flagg, is a lesbian who had the courage to write, in only her second book ever, a book released in 1989 and marketed to general audiences rather than hidden away in Lesbian Fiction, a lesbian romance as the heart and soul of her novel. Flagg went on to write (and be nominated for) the screenplay for the movie adaptation. Despite the fact the movie was released in 1992, it actually wasn't "nonsexual" as you describe; although she could only go so far, she made sure to include coding so that queer viewers and knowledgeable straight viewers still got the touching lesbian romance of the book. (I hadn't even read the book first and I knew from the coding that Ruth and Idgie were not only best friends.) Some more explicit moments were cut, but what the filmmakers were able to keep in was enough. For 1992, anyway. Queer viewers understood it had to be implicit.

I understand the frustration that comes as a result of a culture that currently insists that that an adult's most important adult relationship is with their romantic partner, and so if there's a very deep friendship that seems to be on par or even above, people read in a romantic/sexual element. (You might be interested in Rebecca Traister's All the Single Ladies, which includes a terrific examination of how women's friendships were treated historically and then, recently, purposely devalued.) But don't hijack what was always conceived and written as a lesbian romance in both book and film as an example of this. That erases Flagg's bravery for writing a lesbian romance in a 1989 general fiction novel, and in not allowing it to be utterly straightwashed for the 1992 film, as well as her brilliance in her screenplay in finding a balance where the delicate sensibilities of circa-1992 straight viewers were protected and they could remain oblivious while queer viewers didn't find one of the few lesbian romances they had back then erased. Find an example where the relationship was conceived as a platonic friendship and then had romantic/sexual elements read into it by others because it's considered weird/impossible for women to have a platonic friendship that's above a certain level of accepted importance and emotional intimacy.

I had zero background information on Flagg or any subtext there, and was only speaking from the perspective of an audience member watching the movie for entertainment purposes due to the fact that several of my favorite actresses appear in the film. I clearly hit a nerve, and I'm sorry for that, but my intentions were not to belittle or undermine, it was simply to express a personal opinion from a causal perspective of a viewer who just enjoys the movie because I'm a fan of Jessica Tandy and Kathy Bates and I like eating at the real Whistlestop Cafe in Georgia. To be honest, I'm not real sure how to respond to the rest of your comment to me because it feels totally off from my original point and comment and I don't want to clog up the board with so much off topic stuff. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 1

FYI -  the new season for The Bold Type starts on January 23rd.

In prep of the new season, I've been re-watching the first three seasons.  And I forgot how many storylines this show had that I just couldn't stand (Kat pressuring Sutton to hire Adena for a photo shoot that was the complete opposite of Adena's aesthetic, Jane's overreaction and unwillingness to learn more Sutton's shotgun, etc).  Hopefully season 4 has more Sutton and less eye-rolling storylines! 

ETA - here is the official season 4 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UYeh1reBc

Edited by zenithwit
  • Love 2

Lo and behold an episode that is not all about Jane whining! They did manage to sort out the problem and clean the slate around Jaquexit pretty quickly. And it seems they got rid of Patrick too.

I liked that Richard was honest and supportive, that the second trio at Scarlett (Alex, Sage and Andrew) were so confident about the girls sorting everything out.

Kat has the ears of the board and can make pretty eloquent statements - thats pretty impressive. But I thought the board member was not totally wrong about the difference between the world inside their (the Scarlett staff's) bubble being different than the outside (aka Middle America).

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Aulty said:

t I thought the board member was not totally wrong about the difference between the world inside their (the Scarlett staff's) bubble being different than the outside (aka Middle America).

They were both wrong. I'm so tired of seeing "Middle America" portrayed as unaware of/resistant to social change. Iowa was one of the first states to legalize same-sex marriage, FFS. No state is monolithic: There are areas in every state of both liberalism and conservatism, so I wish these sweeping statements would stop.

Other than that tired stereotype, I enjoyed this episode. Jane's whining was minimal, for a change. The printing plant stuff was absurdly unrealistic, but this is the kind of thing I like seeing the women do.

The reveal of who leaked the issue to The Cut was pretty anticlimactic for all of the worry it supposedly caused.

• Love 10

The characters were pretty dumb for thinking they could give out issues of the magazine and no one would leak it. Of course it all worked out, because otherwise there'd be no show.

About time Scarlett went all digital. The whole time they were talking about her last issue being printed, I was wondering who the hell still buys print magazines.

• Love 2

The whole printing warehouse scene was unrealistic, but I was okay with that because it was fun. I'm fine with some of the over-the-top story bits. The parts that make me eyeroll are Kat's Magic Vagina and Jacqueline the Wonder Boss. They've Mary Sued the hell out of that character. (Although Jane was right when she said "we'll never have a better boss.")

• Love 1
On 1/24/2020 at 6:24 PM, dubbel zout said:

They were both wrong. I'm so tired of seeing "Middle America" portrayed as unaware of/resistant to social change. Iowa was one of the first states to legalize same-sex marriage, FFS.

You're right of course. What I agree with is the more general sentiment that there is a notable gap between the 'early adopters' in hot spots like NY and the general population (not Middle America specifically) - its like an intergeneration gap.

How will social media save their asses the next time?

28 minutes ago, Aulty said:

You're right of course. What I agree with is the more general sentiment that there is a notable gap between the 'early adopters' in hot spots like NY and the general population (not Middle America specifically) - its like an intergeneration gap.

How will social media save their asses the next time?

They were also right about the "Fear of middle America" the belief that a largely more conservative and religious minded less accustomed to diverse settings homogenous population will not accept as readily the things us coastal ppl will... I guess in some instances its true... But I also think the fear stops too many ppl in decision maker roles from doing  "bold and controversial" things

I was sure that they would reveal that it was Patrick that leaked the issue somehow because he wanted to give the job back to Jacqueline and prove that he still had soul. That it was just that random guy from the issue seemed like a real anti climax. I did love the look that Sutton and Kat gave Jane when she was shocked to discover that her note didnt keep people from sending the magazine out. Like, duh Jane! I am not a big fan of Patrick, but I will miss him, he was one of the few people that semi regularly challenged Jane and didnt get a 100% villain edit for it. 

As frequently over the top and ridiculous this episode was (like the girls sneaking into a building to grab the copies of the magazine) I did enjoy it, especially as there was a minimum of Jane whining, and an actual focus on the magazine again and the personal stuff was mostly in the background. 

They've long set up Scarlet gong digital as a Bad Thing for awhile, but they seem to be pretty chill about it now. I guess having Jacqueline, the best boss and human who has ever walked the face of the Earth, around with a digital magazine is better than a print magazine with no Jacqueline! 

On 1/24/2020 at 12:24 PM, dubbel zout said:

I'm so tired of seeing "Middle America" portrayed as unaware of/resistant to social change. Iowa was one of the first states to legalize same-sex marriage, FFS. No state is monolithic: There are areas in every state of both liberalism and conservatism, so I wish these sweeping statements would stop.

I agree, its always annoying to read those deeply smug and condescending "Middle America" comments, as if every person in an entire area is the Borg with a Hive Mind that all think the exact same way. I have lived in the south and the midwest for most of my life, and have met people of a vast array of beliefs and views that are ever changing and evolving. Its basically the opposite version and equally stupid view of stuff like Hallmark movies that portray every person from the coast as an amoral shallow hedonistic self centered asshole. Every part of the country has lots of people with a diverse array of views. Thats why I actually really liked how Kat handled the whole problem, proving that there are lots of people out there, even in Middle America, who will support their message. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Thats why I actually really liked how Kat handled the whole problem, proving that there are lots of people out there, even in Middle America, who will support their message. 

Same here.  Tho Kat was a bit smarmy while doing it... I was like.. I get your point but RJ isn't exactly wrong and his point has some merit.. Lastly dude is still the boss.. Maybe wipe the Natalie former grin off 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am not a big fan of Patrick, but I will miss him, he was one of the few people that semi regularly challenged Jane and didnt get a 100% villain edit for it. 

This is why I did not mind Patrick. I was disappointed that he left. He was one of the few people that did not think Jane was the best thing ever.

I love Andrew. I admit that him not liking Jane really makes me love him.

I wish Sutton would get more meaty storylines. TPTB seem to throw most of the heavy stuff at Jane or Kat. 

• Love 3

I wonder if Patrick is really gone. Jacqueline does need help on the digital side from someone who knows what he's doing.

10 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I wish Sutton would get more meaty storylines. TPTB seem to throw most of the heavy stuff at Jane or Kat.

Same here. I think Meghann Fahy is the strongest actor of the three.

• Love 4
On 1/27/2020 at 10:21 AM, dubbel zout said:

I wonder if Patrick is really gone. Jacqueline does need help on the digital side from someone who knows what he's doing.

Oh, they'll just make Kat VP of Digital and promote Jane to some other position that she doesn't deserve.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I kinda wish the show hadn't wrapped up the Jacqueline firing so quickly.  I was interested in what other endeavors Jacqueline would pursue in her free time and even some what interested in how Patrick would handle the magazine.  I think it would have been interesting if the show had teased out these storylines before bringing Jacqueline back. 

On a side note: I was fully expecting Jacqueline to turn down RJ's offer.  But it looks like that they are setting up a potential divorce storyline for her.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, zenithwit said:

But it looks like that they are setting up a potential divorce storyline for her.

Which I find extremely problematic. Successful woman can't make her marriage work because of her high-powered job? That's some regressive bullshit this show usually avoids.

• Love 7

I really expected some drama out of the girls spilling the drag beans on Andrew, but it was really sweet that he was so excited and happy for the opportunity.

Nice twist on Sutton and Richard. Are we about to witness one couple managing their high pressure jobs and lang distance relationship, while another (Jaqueline) falls apart under the same circumstances? I agree with you @dubbel zout that is seems like we are in for a very old fashioned story there. We know to little about Jaqueline's husband to make it an equal opportunity thing.

Launching a digital magazine in a week? Makes the publishing timelines on Younger look almost plausible.

• LOL 1
13 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Which I find extremely problematic. Successful woman can't make her marriage work because of her high-powered job? That's some regressive bullshit this show usually avoids.

I dunno how much its her high powered job as it us her husband feeling like hes put himself on the back-burner so she can accomplish her dreams.. And when she was let go he saw it as an opportunity to get more active while she shoulders more on the home front... But getting her job back and Patrick dipping off means she's more involved than ever before.. And he's done sitting and waiting.. Not an uncommon storyline.. I've seen it before usually with the genders flipped is all... Could be done well as long as they don't try and make anyone too unreasonable 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Aulty said:

Launching a digital magazine in a week? Makes the publishing timelines on Younger look almost plausible.

LOL. I'm sure most of the stories get posted online anyway, so it's not that farfetched. But yeah, to get a cohesive issue up and running in a week isn't feasible, but that's TV publishing for ya!

I remember when I thought Alex was gonna be a part of the main cast... Time flies.. He legit sat there Nodding and Smiling  while tiny Jane ran the interview... Then I thought the show may have the older lady have some out there views about men... Or black men or something as they pointed out she's from another time.. You know highligting... That even amongst us super progressive folks we have blind spots or problem areas... But nope... Alex just sat  there.. 

I did wonder if she had a bad past with RJ.. The way she recoiled at the sight of him... 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Aulty said:

I really expected some drama out of the girls spilling the drag beans on Andrew, but it was really sweet that he was so excited and happy for the opportunity.

Before they went into the meeting, Kat did say she got permission from him to pitch his drag persona for something, which was nice.

Sutton and Richard's proposal was cute, especially Sutton asking if he was going to give her head on the conference table.  Lol!

• Love 4

Did Jane really need to bring Kat and Sutton to watch her mammogram? I know she said they were her family, but who brings their family to a mammogram? 

I almost thought Sutton was going to freak out and say no to Richard's proposal, so I am very glad they made her excited and say yes. I really want good things to happen for Sutton.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Did Jane really need to bring Kat and Sutton to watch her mammogram? I know she said they were her family, but who brings their family to a mammogram? 

Also I'm sure they'd be able to relive the experience with everyone else reading the 12 part series on the Jane's Breasts vertical (not to be confused with the Jane's Ovaries, Jane's Uterus, Jane's Back Acne, Jane's Weird Toenail verticals that are soon to take over Scarlet).

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Of course Jane had to bring Kat and Sutton to her mammogram, how else will she take every single thing in her life a huge freaking deal and make every conversation about her?! Well it is episode two, we need to get Jane crying and having some kind of freak out, we went a whole episode without one! 

This story with Jacqueline and her apparent marital problems seems out of nowhere and rather regressive for a show that so prides itself on being progressive. Doing the whole "career woman ends up losing her marriage because she is too busy for her husband" story has been done to death, and we know so little about Jacqueline's marriage and her husband that it all just seems random, like they needed a man vs career story just because they haven't really done one yet.

Glad that Sutton said yes to the proposal, and that she hasn't really lost her sexy mojo! I want good things for her, and she and Richard seem to be in a good place, even with the long distance thing coming up. I do hope that she can get more to do this season beyond the romance though, give her a more meaty story, like the ones that Jane always gets. Of course, the last time I remember her getting something more dramatic it involved Jane blaming Sutton for Columbine or something, so maybe its for the best that the melodrama goes to Jane!

So is this girl going to be Kats new love interest? Another closeted woman for Kat to bring out of the closet? I also thought there would be drama with the girls telling everyone that Andrew did drag, but I guess its all good. Nice to see more of Andrew! 

So will Alex actually get to do anything this season besides be Jane's sounding board? Of course, much like Sutton, his one dramatic story last season was him being told what garbage he was for a whole episode, so maybe its for the best. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Of course Jane had to bring Kat and Sutton to her mammogram, how else will she take every single thing in her life a huge freaking deal and make every conversation about her?!

Seriously. And it's not as if a mammogram is so invasive. It's uncomfortable, definitely, but it's hardly a pelvic exam. 

Jacqueline, get a nanny. There! Child care problem solved! FFS. Her kids aren't infants. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I do hope that she can get more to do this season beyond the romance though, give her a more meaty story, like the ones that Jane always gets. Of course, the last time I remember her getting something more dramatic it involved Jane blaming Sutton for Columbine or something, so maybe its for the best that the melodrama goes to Jane!

Don't forget the one other serious Sutton storyline was when she went home and saw her somewhat deadbeat mom, which Jane told Sutton to forgive her mom because Jane's mom was dead. Can Sutton have a meaty storyline that keeps Jane on the peripheral?

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Don't forget the one other serious Sutton storyline was when she went home and saw her somewhat deadbeat mom, which Jane told Sutton to forgive her mom because Jane's mom was dead.

Oh, lord, that had to be Jane at her most self-involved. So enraging! 

I have to give Katie Stevens credit for not trying to soften Jane's annoying qualities. There are a lot of Janes in the world.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Oh, lord, that had to be Jane at her most self-involved. So enraging! 

I have to give Katie Stevens credit for not trying to soften Jane's annoying qualities. There are a lot of Janes in the world.

Agreed.. Because if we viewers can see it I imagine the actors portraying them do as well... So it must be a conscious decision on TPTB for tiny jane to act like she does.. Tho after so many seasons it really hasnt been addressed... I mean kinda on that white privilege episode but that was over and done so quickly... Maybe down the road they'll touch base again

• Love 1

I broke up with a perfect guy who treated me well so I can get with a guy who is a serial dater, and then he cheated on me so now I can’t trust him. Why are things always so bad for meeeee! God I can’t stand Jane. You picked the less stable guy so either talk to him about your concerns and the dreams you’ve psychoanalyzed about in nauseaum, instead of shutting him out. You forgave him so this is now not his fault.

I love the girls, but that mammogram was absolutely ridiculous. When she does this procedure every year are they going to keep coming to all of them and annoy the techs?

Another boring Kat relationship storyline. Yay for us.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, twoods said:

I broke up with a perfect guy who treated me well so I can get with a guy who is a serial dater, and then he cheated on me so now I can’t trust him. Why are things always so bad for meeeee! God I can’t stand Jane. You picked the less stable guy so either talk to him about your concerns and the dreams you’ve psychoanalyzed about in nauseaum, instead of shutting him out. You forgave him so this is now not his fault.

All of this!!!!  When she out of the blue said that her dream means she doesn't trust him, I was like, Have you spoken to him?!?!?  Cause he seems to think y'all have already sorted this out and moved on.  And if she doesn't want to talk to him about it, just break it off and really move the fuck on.  Gah, she's insufferable.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Oh hello hitherto unmentioned trans food delivery person who is taylor made for this week's challenge.

Turning Sutton into an Insta influencer? Would a publishing house really be that impressed about this? Especially if she uses their fashion closet as a resource - you know she will.

Weirdly, I am leaning more towards Ryan in the current Pinstripe/Jane situation.

I really liked the bit with Andrew and Alex - I hope they are working towards a meatier storyline for those two, or at least for 'always the bridesmaid' Alex.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Aulty said:

Turning Sutton into an Insta influencer? Would a publishing house really be that impressed about this? Especially if she uses their fashion closet as a resource - you know she will.

If it drives traffic to the Scarlet website, sure. It's all about the eyeballs.

I cracked up at the end when Kat was trying to convince Sutton to become an influencer and Jane just kept her mouth shut because she knows nothing about it. Hee.

6 hours ago, Aulty said:

I really liked the bit with Andrew and Alex - I hope they are working towards a meatier storyline for those two, or at least for 'always the bridesmaid' Alex.

Same here.

So disappointed in the way Jacqueline and Ian's marriage is being handled.

• Love 1

I also liked that the guy Kat spoke to from the team that organises the NYC Marathon wasn't a dick about the issue with the trans women. He said he would look into it and apprently came through for them.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

So disappointed in the way Jacqueline and Ian's marriage is being handled.

I don't love the storyline.. But its reasonable... Sometimes storylines are annoying because they make no sense I - universe...  This does.. Marriages have ups and downs.. Changes in jobs can add stress.. Nothing feels too forced yet... I was pleasantly surprised by Kat's story.. I was scared others would be about discrimination.. When really it was more about paperwork... I was cool with her shutting down tiny jane about the black market comment.. She may be a bit of a "born-again" progressive as before she didn't think much of her blackness or sexuality.. Her femininity.. She just existed.. So its possible she may veer a lil too hard at times.. Dunno if that's where the show is headed... It was nice for a lil happy ending.. Bit " as long as your heart is in the right place" isn't my cup of tea. Was happy for the meager Alex we got this week it was fun... Including Jacqueline coming thru and sonning both the guys with the cups

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Aulty said:

My problem with this is they keep missing the bigger issue, which is budget.  They are already impressed with her; they don't have the money to pay her.  So unless her influencing generates a ton of revenue for Scarlet, which will help relieve their budget issues and subsequently allow them to either promote her or actually hirer an assistant, she'd probably be better off simply being an influencer because apparently they make a shit ton of money.  (Over here thinking why I got a science degree to work at a non-profit and be broke for the rest of my life.....)

Edited by luckyroll3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

My problem with this is they keep missing the bigger issue, which is budget.  They are already impressed with her; they don't have the money to pay her.  So unless her influencing generates a ton of revenue for Scarlet, which will help relieve their budget issues and subsequently allow them to either promote her or actually hirer an assistant, she'd probably be better off simply being an influencer because apparently they make a shit ton of money.  (Over here thinking why I got a science degree to work at a non-profit and be broke for the rest of my life.....)

Yeah, they are missing the bigger issue, but sometimes young people do that. And these girls are not always realistic.

Also, I find that sometimes big corporations say they have no money to promote anyone, but then they find it when they think they will lose a key person to a competitor or something. If Sutton really became a powerful influencer, Scarlett might find some money to promote her to try and look good. Or they might not, but Sutton could get a stylist job elsewhere from it. It's not really a bad idea for her to try.

I like that they are portraying Kat as good at her job this season. She has had some creative impressive pitches for the new "digital" Scarlett and seems to be generating content that is succeeding.

On the other hand we have Jane, who can't write a single thing that isn't all about herself and her feelings.  She's asked to pitch an idea for a marathon piece and suggests writing about people like her who watch while drinking? Who the hell would want to read about people watching a marathon?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GaT said:

We keep seeing this same Kat plot, her finding someone to champion. It's boring.

They do need to switch up what's going on with her... But I did like this one.. How there weren't any real bad guys.. Just a system that let someone fall thru the cracks... Ppl acted like adults.. No hissyfits.. Just problem.. And cooperate to find a solution without anyone being a jerk

• Love 6

What a shock, Jane wants to write her next article about...herself! Does Jane ever write about things other than her boring personal life and/or various traumas? I cant even imagine hanging out with Jane long term, it must be absolutely exhausting having to constantly listen to her deal with her various issues. 

So Sutton is going to be a Scarlet focused influencer? I mean, it does allow her to do more of the stuff she likes instead of grunt work, but will it really change the tide of money problems or her career issues? Oh the awkward "someone I used to know from school shows up and now I have to humble brag about my accomplishments oh crap she has more" encounter! 

How convenient that there is a transwoman who has apparently existed for ages in the background that is here just in time to give Kat someone new to fight for! I did like how the whole story with the runner went, and that it wasnt really an issue of anyone being transphobic or hateful, or even knowing what was really going on, it was just an issue of rules and bureaucracy not catching up fast enough with social progress. Thats an issue as well with social progress, its not always about a hateful bad guy who needs defeating or anyone being purposefully non-inclusive, sometimes its just rules that need updating and people getting lost in a massive bureaucracy that has not moved fast enough to include them yet. Scarlet going digital has seemingly really done wonders for Kats creative process, she is coming up with a lot of actually good ideas this season. 

Great seeing Alex and Andrew actually getting a little subplot, and that they got a bit to do beyond being Jane's greek chorus. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

How convenient that there is a transwoman who has apparently existed for ages in the background that is here just in time to give Kat someone new to fight for! I did like how the whole story with the runner went, and that it wasnt really an issue of anyone being transphobic or hateful, or even knowing what was really going on, it was just an issue of rules and bureaucracy not catching up fast enough with social progress. Thats an issue as well with social progress, its not always about a hateful bad guy who needs defeating or anyone being purposefully non-inclusive, sometimes its just rules that need updating and people getting lost in a massive bureaucracy that has not moved fast enough to include them yet.

The inclusive of trans athletes in sports has been debated about a lot recently - particularly trans women in gendered sports in the Olympics and other highly competitive sports.  This is probably one story that I wouldn't have minded the show exploring the nuances of the topic at hand vs glazing over it with a broad brush. 

That being said, the character Chloe was clearly running with the recreational runners and not the elite group going for the money.  So maybe this isn't as applicable to her.  But if the show had positioned her as more of an elite runner, this could have been an interesting story to explore more in depth.  Plus, it could give Jane something else to write about other than herself.

• Love 3

I love this show - I have watched every season faithfully, I love the actresses and the issues it handles and I am a similar age to the characters, also living and working in NYC.

However - is anyone else finding Kat more and more annoying? I know that she is often the character used to address important issues and educate the viewers and characters, but lately it feels like her lecturing is a bit much. I am as progressive as can be, but I am not constantly correcting my friends or lecturing them about phrases they are "allowed" to use in conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the purpose, and I'm all for education and improvement. I would want to be told if I were using a phrase or word that could be offensive. But sometimes my friends also just want to hang out with me and chat and not be scolded. I just want to "hang out" with Kat and not be bashed over the head by her messages every week. I wish the writers would ease up on this aspect of her character a bit and allow her to still be fun, because it's more effective when she's three dimensional. 

That bummer aside, I am enjoying this season. The Richard/Sutton engagement was a nice surprise, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle that going forward. I was married relatively young compared to my peers and it can be weirdly isolating. I'd love to see that explored. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SallyAlbright said:

is anyone else finding Kat more and more annoying

Kind of.. But also no... I think the character ( even if she hasnt admitted it yet)  is getting more frustrated she's way more cognizant of slights, microaggresions,  innocuous but wrong statements and of course flat out injustice and discrimination... So before I guess it kinda rolled off her.. But now... Its like a little pin prick every time it happens,  and now she's trying to I guess find a balance between enjoying life with the ppl she loves and correcting said ppl when something is done or said.. And its a bit of a struggle.. Speaking from experience its a pain.. The first time I had to check one of my boys cuz he said something was gay.. Homeboy looked at me like I was high... Same when I was in a predominantly Latino barbershop with some coworkers and black women came up.. And because of how I look they assumed I wasn't what I am and I had to check some dudes.. Even coworkers... I dunno if the show will address that frustration / predicament of being the "teacher" but it could be interesting... I doubt it tho especially after having the transcripts woman pretty much give tiny jane a pass and put her and Kate on the same level with her " as long as your heart is in the right place " 

• Love 2

That would be very interesting to see that play out! If it's a long term thing, that would be a really interesting story line, and I'd like to see more of how it impacts Kat, who I used to really love. The actress is great and capable of showing how being "the teacher" weighs on her. I'd actually really love to see more of that. 

I think my worry is that the writers just use her to teach the viewers a lesson, and it's a bit heavy handed. She's a more interesting, fun, flawed and well-rounded character than that, typically. When all she does is correct people and lecture them, it falls flat for me because it feels repetitive. When it's not quite as frequent, it feels more powerful because then it feels like something that is very important to the character and therefore should be important to us. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well enough, so I hope you get my point 🙂

Long story short, I'd love to see it go more the way you are explaining rather than her just being an easy mouthpiece for the writers to show they are politically correct. 

• Love 3