Type keyword(s) to search

The Biggest Loser - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Very curious what changes they will make. The producer JD Roth has given the former contestants a platform to air their issues so I guess he is not back. Would they have the budget to bring back the trainers or Ali? 

• Love 3

I just watched the first episode. Seems like more of the same to me. I like Erica and Bob. The other trainer seems nice, but wasn’t as familiar with him. The whole format that was problematic before still exists here. They are still over exercising (no one needs to be throwing up while they exercise), they may still be doing all the old tricks with food and water, show is still throwing out the “you’re going to die soon!” bs. I’m surprised they didn’t bring the old casket back out again. It’s all just the same Biggest Loser just a different network. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I'm surprised but I really enjoyed the show.  The amounts of weight that were lost for the first week was more realistic (only one loss of 20+ pounds).  The trainers weren't like those trainers at those gyms that aren't Planet Fitness.

Plus Bob was pretty good as a host!

• Love 6

Did anyone else think that the show focusing on Kim and others overtly ogling trainer Steve was kinda creepy? I think if one of the guys had done that to Erica it would have been seen as not cool, but somehow it’s okay to objective Steve because he’s a guy? I know Kim probably did not mean any harm, but she could have expressed a compliment to him in a less weird way. The show definitely shouldn’t have spent another segment with the other contestants gushing over him. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

So, this show addresses all of the concerns viewers had with the mental health issues by... having Bob Harper sit in a room with everyone while he blurts out their medical conditions and makes everyone cry?  They need to see a REAL mental-health therapist.  And, honestly, I don't want to see it.  I just want to know that it's being done.  It should be private so they can really work through whatever issues.  It's nice that they included a support group with the gym membership.  

9 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

I just watched the first episode. Seems like more of the same to me. I like Erica and Bob. The other trainer seems nice, but wasn’t as familiar with him. The whole format that was problematic before still exists here. They are still over exercising (no one needs to be throwing up while they exercise), they may still be doing all the old tricks with food and water, show is still throwing out the “you’re going to die soon!” bs. I’m surprised they didn’t bring the old casket back out again. It’s all just the same Biggest Loser just a different network. 

I agree. Everything we've learned since this show first started airing is that diet is (something like) 75%-80% of weight loss.  That may be slightly different depending on the resource you're looking at, but it's definitely mostly diet with a little exercise.  To make these people work out for 6-8 hours (or whatever) every day is insane.  I know a show that only focuses on eating would probably be boring, but I still think this is sending a wrong message.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

Did anyone else think that the show focusing on Kim and others overtly ogling trainer Steve was kinda creepy? I think if one of the guys had done that to Erica it would have been seen as not cool, but somehow it’s okay to objective Steve because he’s a guy? I know Kim probably did not mean any harm, but she could have expressed a compliment to him in a less weird way. The show definitely shouldn’t have spent another segment with the other contestants gushing over him. 

True.

I watched it because i never really got into it the last time and i was curious. So maybe someone can explain to me- the person they send home ( it made me so sad it was Robert :(- so when they show him “ hey folks I’ve lost 48 lbs, etc- is that the weight he is right now or at the end of the show will he possibly be slimmer? I’m hoping they show what they have these folks eating since diet is so crucial and i love that a lot of these folks are in the 200’s or so, because that represents a lot of people out there - i did find it ironic that a cardiac nurse was that big, i know i would have a tough time listening to her . The flight crew nurse - just wow- years ago i had a friend who lost out on the job because of her weight . I love Erica and her story but her huge fake eyelashes are very distracting .

• Love 5
4 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

I watched it because i never really got into it the last time and i was curious. So maybe someone can explain to me- the person they send home ( it made me so sad it was Robert :(- so when they show him “ hey folks I’ve lost 48 lbs, etc- is that the weight he is right now or at the end of the show will he possibly be slimmer? I’m hoping they show what they have these folks eating since diet is so crucial and i love that a lot of these folks are in the 200’s or so, because that represents a lot of people out there - i did find it ironic that a cardiac nurse was that big, i know i would have a tough time listening to her . The flight crew nurse - just wow- years ago i had a friend who lost out on the job because of her weight . I love Erica and her story but her huge fake eyelashes are very distracting .

I think the updates are usually more of a halfway point amount. Everyone who is voted off will still be trying to lose weight because they are in the running for the at-home prize now. IIRC, they have a weigh in at the finale for all of those contestants to determine the winner of the at-home prize. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

When my grandma was in the hospital in November, 4/5 nurses she had were overweight/obese. Not shocking at all. 

• Useful 2

Oh believe me, I consider it the greatest irony that many nurses, drs and respiratory therapists are overweight and smoke-but to be having to counsel people on good eating....years ago I would say 20 years ago I went to this nutrition lecture and the female dr speaking was well over 200 lbs. It was perhaps shallow of me, but I couldnt respect anything she said.

• Love 2

The Biggest Loser is back, it’s kind of sad to see not much response here. Maybe it’s from lack of advertisement on the show itself. I don’t know about you guys, but the only reason I knew about it was from one ad on the radio. However, a lot of what I’ve been watching lately is from streaming services, so maybe they have been advertising like crazy on television.

I admit, Bob got on my nerves as a trainer. It seems all trainers did after a while, and he did sell the most because he was on the show the longest. As a host though, I like him a lot better.

Overall, I enjoyed the new version. Not sure what I think about the talking room, or whatever they called it. The fact that they brought attention to it is an indication of sob stories all season. I know this might sound cold, but I don’t care or need to know exactly why they got where they are. For one, I don’t like the insistence that obesity must be from major emotional issues. Second, I realize they signed up for television, but they also signed up to be helped. Give them needed therapy, by all means, but also give them the privacy to actually use that therapy. It’s fine if they want to share with the camera, but that story shouldn’t define them.

i’m kind of surprised that no one stayed back with a slower teammate the 1 mile run/walk. Maybe they weren’t allowed because they are obviously going to be tested later. Maybe this does not apply to everyone, but I know what it’s like to be the slow one in a group. Something on the lines of “it may not seem like it, but I’m struggling a lot too“ is helpful. It made me feel, well, less pathetic to be honest. It seems like some of the slower members on either team could’ve used an emotional booster just by having another team member there. 

• Love 3

Im glad the show is back but I was hoping they would make a few changes. The biggest change I wish they had made was no quick eliminations. I thought the old show criticism was people would lose weight too fast and dangerous because it was a competition, they wanted to stay longer, they wanted the money etc. I was hoping this show would be a little more focused on how they lose the weight and realistic ways. We see saw big numbers dropped, the guy with the lowest went home week one. He got a 1 year gym membership and sent back tot he real world (did he really learn enough in 1 week?). 

I kind of wish they did weekly weigh ins but had the first elimination after maybe 4 weeks. It would give people a full month to lose weight and get their own system down and then the first person out would at least get a month on campus.

The show certainly is needed. I know many people who watch and so many seem to want to gain inspiration or tips or something from the show they can use in real life but is there anything to be learned? I live where they opened a biggest loser ranch for awhile . People spent massive amounts of money to come to the ranch and it was not that great, I think there were a few former contestants that would visit but the staff was no world class staff and the place was more like a prison. Right down the road was another weight loss spa, 5 star place that movie stars go to, I know Oprah has been there, and it cost less then the biggest loser ranch and had wold class staff and incredible rooms to stay in. People still went to the biggest loser place for the name, they really thought they were going to lose 100+ lbs fast because of the show. The show is obviously very powerful so I kind of wish that it came back with a slightly different approach. I will keep watching to see if there is anything different but it sure seems like the same show.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I have to say that, during last night’s episode, I thought Megan had a point about the trainer constantly harping on them for last week’s loss. I thought she was right.

I feel as though he kept that conversation up; way too long. It sounded like he was judging their past and present efforts to lose weight and finding those efforts wanting. There are ways to inspire or to provide constructive criticism. After the first time he reminded them of their loss and how much it would suck for their team to lose again, he needed to move on.

Despite what he told Megan, I don’t think her objections had anything to do with trusting him. I think she was (correctly) telling him his constant reminders of the team’s loss was making them feel as though he was blaming them for that loss.

its a competition. One team is going to lose each week. That team and all it’s members probably did their best. Helping them win during the next week may require finding a different training strategy but it won’t help anyone to feel like their best wasn’t - and may, in the near future - not be good enough.

Also: how funny was it for the Planet Fitness commercials be telling everyone not to turn over truck tires; when that was the week’s team challenge?? LOL

• Love 11

This is a great show to watch when I have treadmill workouts to do. Helps keep the motivation up. Glad it’s back and glad to see bob in the host role. I always did enjoy him for the most part. 

I agree with the above poster about Megan. Thought the trainer might have harped on that too much. I could see her point. I thought they handled it well though where she explained her point of view and he explained his and they got in with that. Well from what they aired anyways. I respected that conversation. 

I wondered why phi wasn’t loosing more? Always sad to see people go. Didn’t want either of the ladies who were on the bottom to leave. 

• Love 2

A couple of the blue team members were showing their ugly side by blaming Phi for Robert leaving. I wonder if they picked up the blame from their trainer though.

8 hours ago, Nilknarf said:

I have to say that, during last night’s episode, I thought Megan had a point about the trainer constantly harping on them for last week’s loss. I thought she was right.

Yes. It was toxic and insulting to the team, and boy did he take it personal when she called him out on it.

Did anyone else find it strange that he took his shirt off and ran through the mud after blue team won? I don’t usually mind some body candy, but this screamed “Look at me!” 

I hope they stop having the trainers there for the challenges. It made sense for last week’s mile, but not for this. Let the teams be challenged without the constant coaching. They need to learn to push each other and themselves.

• Love 7
On 2/3/2020 at 12:34 PM, Meushell said:

For one, I don’t like the insistence that obesity must be from major emotional issues.

This!  I said to Mr. GoudaGirl, “Can’t I just be fat because I love cheese and wine and am kinda lazy?”

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
On 2/6/2020 at 2:19 AM, Meushell said:

A couple of the blue team members were showing their ugly side by blaming Phi for Robert leaving. I wonder if they picked up the blame from their trainer though.

Yes. It was toxic and insulting to the team, and boy did he take it personal when she called him out on it.

Did anyone else find it strange that he took his shirt off and ran through the mud after blue team won? I don’t usually mind some body candy, but this screamed “Look at me!” 

I hope they stop having the trainers there for the challenges. It made sense for last week’s mile, but not for this. Let the teams be challenged without the constant coaching. They need to learn to push each other and themselves.

I agree, I like the challenges better without the coaches there, with less hand-holding.

I generally like Erica, but, it feels like she speaks in Pinterest/inspirational quotes. "Impossible means I'm possible." "You have to fix this *points to head*, before you can fix this *your body*."

Steve feels more like a real trainer. Granted, he does have more experience. She opened her studio at the end of 2016. I also feel like she doesn't know how to motivate male clients. She is very comfortable with females. She's all "rah rah," and "you go girl!" Her studio is totally geared toward them.

Sticking birthday candles in apples and bananas was funny.

I felt bad for Kristi and her knee injuries. Not being able to work out to the fullest is a real obstacle. Also, she's 31, and looks older, to me.

I would like to see more of what they're eating. 

Wow, Kim on Team Blue saved two weeks in a row. Kristi got lucky that Domenico bombed. He needed 8 to win the weigh-in, 5 to stay. He got 4. I wonder what his problem was? Did he miss his daughter that much? Shouldn't she have been enough of a reason to work hard? Erica should have been able to relate to him; she got healthy for her young son. It goes to show that with all the tools he was given, the ranch, the food, doctors, the nice gym/equipment, he didn't want it enough. And he would have been able to video chat with her had he worked hard enough to stay for Week 4.

It's also bad that Team Red lost another male; they are key to winning weigh-ins because they can pull off bigger numbers. Though, women lose less, but, lose a greater percentage of weight. Now, Team Red only has one male, three females, and he's 47.

Just some interesting things to note as I watched on my computer and paused the credits:

Filmed on location at Glorieta Adventure Camps - It's a faith-based, Christian-owned location. 

Official final weights determined off camera

Due to production constraints, the period between weigh-ins on this episode has been longer than one week

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

I don’t like this new format.  Everyone says that diet is 70-80% of weight loss, but we see little, if any, of that.  I would so much rather have one bite of cake than an apple and a banana for my birthday.  They will never talk about food.  Michelle Obama even had to switch from talking about kids dieting to kids exercising because the food lobby is so strong.  Oh, excuse me, I take it all back—Steven usually eats a protein shake an hour or so before going to an event.  Life-changing shit right there!

I don’t think Phi or Domenico were trying very hard.  Domenico will never lose the weight.  In his follow-up, he was eating pizza, he works in food service, and he didn’t say how much weight he lost.  Not a good sign.  Phi only lost 20 lbs since leaving?  At 357, that should be a breeze.  Glad to have them gone. 

OMG, the edits!  There is so much touchy-feely bullshit, and speeches, and exercise and challenges, but we don’t even get to see where they live?  Instead of telling us about Kyle and Jim being roommates, why don’t they show them in their bunks?  Show how they pass their time.  A few seasons ago I think they were doing this.  Dolvett tracked down this young blonde girl to her room and yelled at her that she’s going to lose all her weight and then gain it back if she doesn’t face why she’s 18 years old and 255.  I miss that.  

Even if they’re exercising eight hours a day (doubtful), and sleeping eight, they are doing something else for the other eight hours.  Why don’t they show any of that?  

But, as I was saying, the way they edit the show, you know immediately who is not going home.  Has Teri gotten any time yet whatsoever?  No.  So she was safe.  Last week Dolores and Teri were completely safe.  They got no screen time.  At least let me get to know these people before you send them home!

I agree that Kristi looks significantly older than she is, and I kinda wanted her to go home this past episode.  She is worried that she won’t be able to have a second baby because of her weight?  She is blessed to have one!  Plus, she’s a lawyer.  How is she taking all this time off of her practice to have children?  

I can’t believe Katarina and Micah are only 23.  I definitely sympathize with the idea that some people are just fat because they’ve eaten too much for too many years.  I think that is the case for Kim.  If you’re 23 and you’ve found your way onto this show?  I think there is something really wrong.  I do predict Micah will take the whole thing, though, but if he wants to look like Steven, which is what he said he wanted to do, he is going to need skin reduction surgery.  When he weighed in this past time, I already noticed his stomach is sagging down in that heart-shaped way that’s not going away without surgery.  I hope this show covers skin surgery for them if they lose all the weight.  

I will continue to watch, but I’m going to start fast-forwarding through the platitudes, which should get me through this in about 3 minutes flat.  

I saw that disclaimer at the end too that said the weights are taken at a different time, which means that...what?  The producers are manipulating who gets weighed in sequence so as to give us the maximum drama?  I wish they would just give it to us the first time around and let the chips fall where they may.

Does it drive anyone else crazy when they are weighing the contestants and the number doesn’t just show up, and instead the scale bounces around between numbers?  Just me?  

• Love 6
On 2/12/2020 at 8:57 PM, ShortyMac said:

Sticking birthday candles in apples and bananas was funny.

Yes, but who wants that for their birthday dessert? This would have been the perfect time to introduce banana nice cream. You freeze a banana, then put it in the food processor (or a heavy duty blender) with a little milk, and you have 0 sugar added ice cream. For flavor you can add strawberries or matcha or cacao  or just about any flavor you want. 

• Love 5
On 2/13/2020 at 7:23 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

I don’t like this new format.  Everyone says that diet is 70-80% of weight loss, but we see little, if any, of that.  I would so much rather have one bite of cake than an apple and a banana for my birthday.  They will never talk about food.  Michelle Obama even had to switch from talking about kids dieting to kids exercising because the food lobby is so strong.  Oh, excuse me, I take it all back—Steven usually eats a protein shake an hour or so before going to an event.  Life-changing shit right there!

I don’t think Phi or Domenico were trying very hard.  Domenico will never lose the weight.  In his follow-up, he was eating pizza, he works in food service, and he didn’t say how much weight he lost.  Not a good sign.  Phi only lost 20 lbs since leaving?  At 357, that should be a breeze.  Glad to have them gone. 

OMG, the edits!  There is so much touchy-feely bullshit, and speeches, and exercise and challenges, but we don’t even get to see where they live?  Instead of telling us about Kyle and Jim being roommates, why don’t they show them in their bunks?  Show how they pass their time.  A few seasons ago I think they were doing this.  Dolvett tracked down this young blonde girl to her room and yelled at her that she’s going to lose all her weight and then gain it back if she doesn’t face why she’s 18 years old and 255.  I miss that.  

Even if they’re exercising eight hours a day (doubtful), and sleeping eight, they are doing something else for the other eight hours.  Why don’t they show any of that?  

But, as I was saying, the way they edit the show, you know immediately who is not going home.  Has Teri gotten any time yet whatsoever?  No.  So she was safe.  Last week Dolores and Teri were completely safe.  They got no screen time.  At least let me get to know these people before you send them home!

I agree that Kristi looks significantly older than she is, and I kinda wanted her to go home this past episode.  She is worried that she won’t be able to have a second baby because of her weight?  She is blessed to have one!  Plus, she’s a lawyer.  How is she taking all this time off of her practice to have children?  

I can’t believe Katarina and Micah are only 23.  I definitely sympathize with the idea that some people are just fat because they’ve eaten too much for too many years.  I think that is the case for Kim.  If you’re 23 and you’ve found your way onto this show?  I think there is something really wrong.  I do predict Micah will take the whole thing, though, but if he wants to look like Steven, which is what he said he wanted to do, he is going to need skin reduction surgery.  When he weighed in this past time, I already noticed his stomach is sagging down in that heart-shaped way that’s not going away without surgery.  I hope this show covers skin surgery for them if they lose all the weight.  

I will continue to watch, but I’m going to start fast-forwarding through the platitudes, which should get me through this in about 3 minutes flat.  

I saw that disclaimer at the end too that said the weights are taken at a different time, which means that...what?  The producers are manipulating who gets weighed in sequence so as to give us the maximum drama?  I wish they would just give it to us the first time around and let the chips fall where they may.

Does it drive anyone else crazy when they are weighing the contestants and the number doesn’t just show up, and instead the scale bounces around between numbers?  Just me?  

It's always been this way and exactly for the reason of drama. 

• Love 2
On 2/16/2020 at 12:27 PM, Whimsy said:

It's always been this way and exactly for the reason of drama. 

I know that they’re trying to create drama.  I think that people going from fat to thin is plenty dramatic enough, and I also enjoy organic drama, such as the interactions between the contestants, which we never see, but should.  I like this show more than others, such as 600-Lb Life, where they go from really, really, really fat to—at best—really fat, because TBL seems to gives people a new lease on life.  No one on TBL ever starts and ends in a wheelchair.  So IMO they don’t need to resort to the cheap tricks they do for it to be good.

As far as it always being this way, I’m aware it’s always been that way, but when they announced a new format—I thought the “new” might include at least some real incorporation of the “diet” in “diet and exercise,” a glimpse into their lives when they’re not exercising (and Bob’s Fireside Chats are ridiculous, they don’t count), and how they resist temptation on a day to day basis.  So I don’t like the new format.  I liked the old format better, but I think they can do a much better job overall.  

• Love 3

I wish they would stop making folks feel bad for losing pounds in the single digits.  It just sets them up for false expectations for how quickly the weight will drop each week.  When they said the format had changed, I was hoping that they'd done away kicking people off weekly, as many of them need the time there to really learn how to care for themselves physically and mentally before being sent off to try it on their own.  And I don't mind Bob and his talking circle as much as some people, but they really need a fucking (qualified/certified) therapist.

• Love 5

Does Bob do anything other than Biggest Loser? Jillian definitely did things outside of the show. I used to see her products all the time, and still do on occasion. I don’t know about the other trainers, but I imagine they do.

Bob though, just only seems involved with the show and its products. He was a trainer on every season, and now that it has all new trainers, he’s a host. I mean, I suppose it’s not really a bad thing. As a trainer, he became downright unlikable because that seems to happen on the show with trainers. Jillian became a victim of this as well, but she seemed to improve after taking time off.

The show could definitely be improved upon, and it seems that might not happen because those involved in it the longest (and Bob is the representation of all of them) are too fixed in their ways on what Biggest Loser needs to be. The show is, at least to me, basically the same. The Bob circle is probably a good example of an “improvement“ that’s really more of the same.

• Love 1

I figured Team Red was due for a challenge win, not surprised they won the weigh-in, either. 

Delores only losing one pound. Wow. I wonder if her nutrition was bad, or she just hit a plateau? 

The extra dramatics with Kristi's weigh-in had me yelling at my TV.

• Love 1

I know!  I wanted Kristi to get sent home so badly, but I was 100% sure she was safe, because, once again, she had not been featured on the episode.  This week, Kyle got, like the feature edit, of The Star (two weeks ago it was Megan, last week it was Micah) and It was crystal clear that the person going home was either going to be Dolores or Katarina, with possibly Kim as a dark horse.  

I feel bad for Dolores.  I wanted her to stay.  I wonder how much wiggle room they get for dehydration tactics and stuff.  I was telling her in my head to take off her earrings and her weave so she would weigh less, but then I remembered that little disclaimer at the end of the show that says the actual weights are taken at another time.  

But these trainers have got to relax, man.  The guy gets angry and the woman gets so emotional every time someone goes home.  They talk about the cosmic unfairness of it all.  Earth to you guys—someone is going to go home every single week.  This is a competition.  These are the rules.  So far it has been evenly paced between the teams.  I know it’s part of the show, but relax with the theatrics about the reality of what you knew was going to happen coming in, damn.  

• Love 1

It does make me wonder if the contestants that are doing poorly are eating a ton of bad stuff- in prior seasons they touched on it , but what you eat is such a crucial part of what your success is , i want to know what they are eating! I do remember the show used to have some wierd food temptation challenges but I’m close to not watching anymore because without the actual diet part I’m getting just part of the story .

• Love 5

RE: on the topic of throwing up and let me add one more issue "having to do #2 - like suddenly & now" happens when one exercises.

Especially if you at still getting used to a routine - both eating (what and when) and the exercise itself. Even wearing a too tight exercise garment can set off bio functions. Nothing to be ashamed about - just let it go and keep it moving.

Porta Potties exist for a reason at most 5ks all the way up to marathons. 

Now does TBL have to show someone relieving themselves in a mop bucket  - no. 

• Love 1

3 episodes in..

So Bob cannot train (ie yell) anymore, due to his heart attack? I agree it's time to bring in a 2nd generation of trainers, but I'm not sure I like him has the couch-sitting-therapist...

What happened to Dr. H, Robert Huizenga, M.D. - indicted for something ? 🍿

Pet Peeve from the 1st generation of this show, that is repeated: Is it not possible to be overweight w/o all of the emotional baggage ?  Something is wrong with the job (past or present), something is wrong with a relationship (mom/dad./sister/brother/boyfriend/girlfriend), something is wrong with cat/dog/children/lack of children, something is wrong with their spiritual life, something is wrong with the car/house/bike/boat .. why can't the only thing be wrong is that one is overweight ?

I too miss the eating challenges and the little cooking food-prep segments. Did the biggest loser kitchen remodel get cut out from the budget? What happened to food sponsors like Jello - or is that product considered unclean eating now? 

I am glad the show is 1 hr long.. the 2-hr every single episode was a bit much. Filled up the DVR too quick, so one could skim though the commercials.

Let me go read the bio on Trainer Erica - she had to do more than just go to Planet Fitness.. Planet Fitness is nice but they are also big in "do-it-yourself" as their trainer/class selection is limited.

Edited by sATL
4 hours ago, sATL said:

Pet Peeve from the 1st generation of this show, that is repeated: Is it not possible to be overweight w/o all of the emotional baggage ?  Something is wrong with the job (past or present), something is wrong with a relationship (mom/dad./sister/brother/boyfriend/girlfriend), something is wrong with cat/dog/children/lack of children, something is wrong with their spiritual life, something is wrong with the car/house/bike/boat .. why can't the only thing be wrong is that one is overweight ?

I too miss the eating challenges and the little cooking food-prep segments. Did the biggest loser kitchen remodel get cut out from the budget? What happened to food sponsors like Jello - or is that product considered unclean eating now? 

A lot of people turn to food for comfort. It is easily accessible. People who have healthy relationships with food don't get to their size, unless for an uncontrollable, medical reason. Phi's dad was murdered, and she felt responsible, so, she ate. Robert's dream of playing pro football was ruined, Domenico always quit everything his whole life and felt like a failure, Kyle was a closeted gay man until recently, and used food to hide, Micah's mom was a drug addict, and he and his siblings had to fend for themselves, meaning, processed and fast food. Jim's bio says,

Spoiler

"having lost both of his parents much too soon," so, that is traumatic.

We haven't seen it mentioned on the show yet. 

Ha, remember when Dannon (yogurt) and Subway were sponsors? lol

On 2/13/2020 at 7:23 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

I forgot to reply to this. I completely agree.

• Love 3

Wow! That was the most boring Bob talk ever. Why didn’t they just save us the time and have a Bob head in the corner during the conversations, making his own little comments? Actually, I just skipped through most of it anyway.

“Did you tell your family about your boy?”

Did anyone else think that was weird? That the guy brought up the gay guy in the first place (I’ll bother to learn their names when there’s a lot less of them. LOL) was strange. His family even seem to have WTF looks on their faces. I mean, do they really care that much about his new housemates? Then when Bob had his question, it was like “*Click.* Oh they told him to bring up the other guy.”

I admit though, part of the issue I have is that it feels fake. TBL wants drama, and it feels like they are squeezing everything they can out of everyone, which makes a lot of it feel fake. 

Dolores and her 1 pound loss is another example.

Scale: -1
* Several seconds of everyone’s shocked faces, complete with dramatic music.*
Bob: *somberly* You lost one pound.

Their need for theatrics ruined the emotion of the moment for me. Instead of feeling for Dolores like I should have, I was more focused on Bob saying the obvious. However, I can accept that she needed a moment to herself, and applaud her for quickly deciding not to let her bring her down. 

On 2/20/2020 at 7:42 AM, LibertarianSlut said:

But these trainers have got to relax, man.  The guy gets angry and the woman gets so emotional every time someone goes home.

Yes, he’s becoming quite unlikable in his anger. I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing him disappear next season. 

14 hours ago, sATL said:

Bike? 😂

In the past Jillian (and I think later Bob) outright said that 100+ pounds overweight means big emotional issues that need to be solved. That’s not true, but the show ran with it. The number of emotional eaters on the show exploded, and the show hasn’t looked back. As someone who is 100+ overweight, I find it insulting that the show stuck a label on to the issue, and focuses so heavily (pun not intended) on it. After all, what does that say about those of us who don’t have emotional baggage? 

Speaking of emotions, I realize my post is mostly negative, so let me add this. I like the show. Part of my negativity is that I feel the show could be better. However, in spite of its flaws, I still find it entertaining and inspiring to watch.

• Love 4
On 2/21/2020 at 5:20 AM, sATL said:

RE: on the topic of throwing up and let me add one more issue "having to do #2 - like suddenly & now" happens when one exercises.

Especially if you at still getting used to a routine - both eating (what and when) and the exercise itself. Even wearing a too tight exercise garment can set off bio functions. Nothing to be ashamed about - just let it go and keep it moving.

Porta Potties exist for a reason at most 5ks all the way up to marathons. 

Now does TBL have to show someone relieving themselves in a mop bucket  - no. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runner's_diarrhea