Type keyword(s) to search

Barefoot Contessa

• Start Topic

On 3/18/2019 at 3:59 PM, chessiegal said:

I've been seeing Tate's CC cookies in the grocery store for month - the ones Ina uses in her ice box cake. I finally bought some today. Boy howdy are they good.

I always thought they looked so gross and Chips Ahoy-ish.  Then I bought a bag of the chocolate chocolate chip and I will forever be reminded that I doubted Ina Garten on something.

• Love 4

Lordy, the rerun today with Giada at Ina's cooking. First we get Frank in the garden (freezing cold and gloomy outside!) why did they have to eat outside and why was Frank there?

I knew I was going to be commenting here as we see Giada driving to Ina's in the Fiat! Oh so Italian! I don't know why she bugs me so much but I really don't like Ina around her either. Weren't they on Food Network Live Thanksgiving show together along with Bobby Flay? Or was that Alton Brown? Giada just ruins every show for me.

I want to see that clip of Ina in the bar with Seth now. Hopefully I can find it?

• Love 3

I finally saw that drink-a-rama with Seth. He's so mischievous, getting Ina tipsy. The two of them are so funny and I think Ina would've been funny & relaxed with Seth even without any booze. It reminded me of the show that Ina did featuring guest chef Michael Symon. She was so relaxed & enjoying Symon's hilarious personality.  Around the right (personality-wise) guests, we get to see what might be the real deal Ina☺

• Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Just remembered that the new season starts tomorrow! It will be a welcome contrast to Rachel.

Do you know when this episode might repeat?  I hate to miss tomorrow’s new BC but will be at church in the early a.m.

3 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Do you know when this episode might repeat?  I hate to miss tomorrow’s new BC but will be at church in the early a.m.

Looks like following Saturday (4/27) at 8:30 am.

10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It could be me, but I thought this premiere was lackluster. Still it’s good to see her back. 

Yup. Throughout the show, I kept thinking about the original BC. It was such a cozy, relaxed show that also included her friends & tips on flower arranging & tablesetting. However, I too am sooooo glad to have Ina back on TV. While she was at a farmstand, they showed a clip of a tomato, avocado, & corn salad that looked so good. I need to make that! I'm sure this series is a lot easier to tape than her original show. 

• Love 2

The infamous Honey Vanilla Pound cake episode was on again today.  I noted Ina used cake flour and can't remember if I used that in my many attempts; I more than likely did.  Still can't figure out why it doesn't turns out like hers.  Maybe I'll use a bundt pan next time because it is a delicious cake.

Has anyone made it with complete success?

I never heard that about creme fraiche stabilizing whipped cream. I don't think I can get creme fraiche in my wee town but that's still a good technique to know about.

• Love 1

Ina said that using ex-large eggs has made her a better baker. That caught my attention since I'm just a so-so baker. She made that lemon poppyseed cake. I'm tempted to make it but without the poppyseeds. They followed this show with a rerun of the highly criticised (by us) episode in which she served an outdoor meal to the family with a 7 week old baby & featured the huge lit balloons & everyone was bundled up in coats. Her spicy turkey meatballs looked good😊

• Love 1

I always but large eggs so that caught my attention too. I think I'm a decent baker but I'm curious now. Let us know what you think if you do change.

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Looks like Ina and Jeffrey are in France. Last week she was posting pictures on Instagram of food she was eating in Paris. This past week she's been posting pictures from Provence.

I'm actually headed to Provence tonight, so I'll keep an eye out for our girl!  Obviously I will need to say hello and tell her how much I love her.

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, larapu2000 said:

I'm actually headed to Provence tonight, so I'll keep an eye out for our girl!  Obviously I will need to say hello and tell her how much I love her.

Enjoy! Good time of year for their Rose wine.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

Have a wonderful time. And, if you do run into Miss Ina, tell her we love her too!

• Love 3
On 4/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Yup. Throughout the show, I kept thinking about the original BC. It was such a cozy, relaxed show that also included her friends & tips on flower arranging & tablesetting. However, I too am sooooo glad to have Ina back on TV. While she was at a farmstand, they showed a clip of a tomato, avocado, & corn salad that looked so good. I need to make that! I'm sure this series is a lot easier to tape than her original show. 

I think you're exactly right - the original show took forever to tape. Ina used to (mildly) complain about how disruptive it was, so I'm not surprised by the format change. The old episodes are definitely the best, but Ina does seem back to her cheery self this season at least.

• Love 2

Hers is the only show I watch on TFN anymore. Gosh, in the days of yore, I watched so many. Alton, Sara Moulton, young Dave somebody who was charming & cooked with few ingredients, Anne Burrell. Emeril before he got loud, Sandra Lee so I could snark on twop. But I learned from Ina & Giada. I have their cookbooks. Ina's my gal not gonna lie--she teaches. I also learn from Gesine on her baking show. Grrrr, I hate when the true cooks are taken off air & are replaced by more contests. Damn I want to learn, Food Network!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, rhys said:

Hers is the only show I watch on TFN anymore. Gosh, in the days of yore, I watched so many. Alton, Sara Moulton, young Dave somebody who was charming & cooked with few ingredients, Anne Burrell. Emeril before he got loud, Sandra Lee so I could snark on twop. But I learned from Ina & Giada. I have their cookbooks. Ina's my gal not gonna lie--she teaches. I also learn from Gesine on her baking show. Grrrr, I hate when the true cooks are taken off air & are replaced by more contests. Damn I want to learn, Food Network!

I wish I could "like" this 1,000 times!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, rhys said:

I stated on another thread that TFN should have a block of programming devoted to classic shows.  I mean, I realize that if they did that they wouldn't be able to show 5 hours of DDD in one day, but none of the older shows mention current events or topical issues.  3 hours of Everyday Italian, 30 Minute Meals, Barefoot Contessa, Good Eats, and so on.  It would bring attention to their other shows and cookbooks as well, and it should be cost effective.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I stated on another thread that TFN should have a block of programming devoted to classic shows.  I mean, I realize that if they did that they wouldn't be able to show 5 hours of DDD in one day, but none of the older shows mention current events or topical issues.  3 hours of Everyday Italian, 30 Minute Meals, Barefoot Contessa, Good Eats, and so on.  It would bring attention to their other shows and cookbooks as well, and it should be cost effective.

And make it the early Every Day Italian in which Giada isn't a grinning fool, but a serious chef showing us how to cook delicious Italian food.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

And make it the early Every Day Italian in which Giada isn't a grinning fool, but a serious chef showing us how to cook delicious Italian food.

Yeah, I like those shows where she is too nervous to show teeth😁

• Love 1

I always forget how much I love grilled oysters and remembered my friend who is having a bbq isn’t far from an oyster farm today so had him pick up a few bags for tomorrow! Will definitely do her butter.

• Love 1

Her grounds (looks too big to call it a yard!) are amazing. I wonder what they spend each month on upkeep. It's really lovely and I don't think Ina is the kind of person who does anything but clip herbs for cooking and flowers for the tables. I know that's what I'd do. I'm actually surprised whenever I see her grill.

She looks about 16! I think she was only 19 when they married but she (& J, too) look even younger than they are. Nice pic on her IM.

• Love 1

Does anyone remember the party Ina held in which everyone would bring a DVD that was cued up to their favorite part of the movie? I just turned on the TV & was scrolling through the channels & found The Goodbye Girl & glory be--it was my favorite part, just after Richard Dreyfuss shows up to take over the apt. & he's letting Marsha Mason know what he likes & doesn't like. Once he said, "al buffo!" I turned it off & thought of Ina's party. I'd love to have been at her party & I'd have taken this movie with me.

(edited)

By chance I found this Barefoot Contessa recipe which sounds so delicious that I was drooling with longing!  I've not seen it feature on B/C Cooking Like A Pro but, there again, in the UK the episodes of Ina's show are shown in a rather random way, darting from one series to another. 

Edited by Mandolia
On 5/27/2019 at 4:18 PM, rhys said:

Her grounds (looks too big to call it a yard!) are amazing. I wonder what they spend each month on upkeep. It's really lovely and I don't think Ina is the kind of person who does anything but clip herbs for cooking and flowers for the tables. I know that's what I'd do. I'm actually surprised whenever I see her grill.

Probably a lot - and I'll bet it's a nice tax deduction too since it's featured in the show.