Type keyword(s) to search

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was glad to find this.  For some reason, I've been thinking of Anthony today.  I'm not sure why.  I haven't read or heard anything about him recently......just missing his presence really.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was glad to find this.  For some reason, I've been thinking of Anthony today.  I'm not sure why.  I haven't read or heard anything about him recently......just missing his presence really.  

Same here. 🙁 Tv isn't the same without him.

• Love 2

As we get closer to the 1st anniversary of Tony's death, he's been on my mind lately.  Last night I googled him and turned up some interesting articles I hadn't seen before.  I also checked this thread.   Then tonight Mr. Yeah No came home with a gift from one of his best clients - This knife and a printed article explaining why Tony claimed that this is the one knife everyone should own.  I was incredibly touched - and a little spooked.  It reminded me of when I went through my mother's things after her death and found an olive oil mister she had bought for me as a gift but never got to give me.  She had prophetically taped a note on it that said, "For (my name)".  Talk about spooky.  

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:50 PM, Yeah No said:

As we get closer to the 1st anniversary of Tony's death, he's been on my mind lately.  Last night I googled him and turned up some interesting articles I hadn't seen before.  I also checked this thread.   Then tonight Mr. Yeah No came home with a gift from one of his best clients - This knife and a printed article explaining why Tony claimed that this is the one knife everyone should own.  I was incredibly touched - and a little spooked.  It reminded me of when I went through my mother's things after her death and found an olive oil mister she had bought for me as a gift but never got to give me.  She had prophetically taped a note on it that said, "For (my name)".  Talk about spooky.  

That is the same knife I own thanks to Anthony Bourdain.  My husband had read that very same article and then got me the knife for our anniversary.  I absolutely love it and use it as my primary knife. 

• Love 5

I went to Uruguay recently, partly inspired by the Parts Unknown episode on it. I feel a little dorky admitting that (while also eyeing flights to Senegal, partly based on that episode too), but I don't regret going. The best part was the restaurant featured in that episode -- Jacinto -- was literally across the street from where I happened to be staying. I went there as my last dinner, and it was fantastic. Could've held its own in New York, 100%. So I'm still grateful for his shows, and I hope his legacy endures for a long time.

• Love 11

It's been a long time since I've been able to watch any of Anthony's shows. He'd meant so much to me - my mentor who taught me that there was more to traveling than just seeing sites and checking things off my list. That there is a big difference between a traveler and a tourist and I became a more curious, adventurous traveler because of his influence. Many of my most cherished traveling adventures in Japan, Thailand, Budapest and others were guided by his influence. His death had hit me hard. I would walk by where his old restaurant, Les Halles, used to be and think about him a lot.

My traveling the past two years was curtailed by both Covid and the recent death of my mother, who had been one of my biggest travel cheerleaders. I had wanted to take my parents on a trip that they would have loved, in a country that they had never been to before but all travel got shut down. Then Mom was diagnosed with metastatic pancreatic cancer and I lost her barely three months later. I've been in a pretty dark place ever since.

Last week, I started watching Anthony's shows again and while they were bittersweet, I found myself smiling at his antics and cherishing the wonderful curiosity he had about the world. I remembered how he impacted so many people and the wonderful legacy he left and I was determined to keep exploring. I'm taking my Dad to Europe this fall and we're going to Budapest (which I loved) and Vienna (where I'd never been before). Anthony will continue guiding me and Mom will be with us every moment. And Dad and I will find a few moments of joy and healing. 

• Love 11
On 4/13/2021 at 6:54 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Eric Ripert posted a picture with Anthony’s new book (which comes out next week!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNnfW7un2LI/?igshid=oun1v2nolj7y

I know this book will have family and friends reminiscing about Anthony and have some of his previous writings included.  I really miss his way with words.  He was such a great writer.  When they had those last couple of episodes of his and there was no voice narrative from him - it was so sad.  

I will watch the documentary too.  If it's in a theater - I will be going - 1st time since Covid.

• Love 3