Type keyword(s) to search

Community - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Pop! Pop! Every ‘Community’ Christmas Episode, Ranked

No series was better at producing memorable theme episodes than Community. From paintball to zombies to exploring parallel timelines, Community’s legacy is sitcom innovation. In a medium that often rewards conformity, Dan Harmon’s comedy about a gang of misfit community college students continuously subverted the traditional rules of television structure in order to craft something truly original. Community was at its absolute best when it was allowed to color outside the lines, but despite the show’s affinity for ingenuity, the series also produced a number of traditional Christmas episodes… or at least as traditional as Community gets, anyway.

There’s no such thing as a bad Community Christmas episode, so we’re ranking these holiday treats from best to… slightly better than best.

(edited)

The latest episode of Ken Jeong and Joel McHale's podcast is just a zoom call with Dan Harmon and the main original cast, seems like it's from directly after shooting the upcoming table read. 

Edit: Oh my god it is so hilarious. I can't wait for the table read. And after that I'll just be constantly searching for movie news. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 5/9/2020 at 10:10 PM, Maximum Taco said:

The latest episode of Ken Jeong and Joel McHale's podcast is just a zoom call with Dan Harmon and the main original cast, seems like it's from directly after shooting the upcoming table read. 

Edit: Oh my god it is so hilarious. I can't wait for the table read. And after that I'll just be constantly searching for movie news. 

I watched it a couple days ago and was SO delighted. I was so glad Donald Glover participated, nice to see he’s still willing to be a part of the Community community. I’m rewatching the series now. It is still the best.  Can’t WAIT for the table read to drop Monday!  

• Love 6

It was so much fun watching the original cast together again and with Dan. loved Pedro Pascal breaking at the part where the canisters of sperm were given out was my favorite part. I've always loved that episode and how they managed to make Pierce's character present even though he died.

• Love 2

You will know that you have looked at too many Community clips since the table read when youtube goes into the annals of history and decides its time to recommend the episode of Conan where Alison Brie explains that she took a picture of her boobs and Joel McHale took a picture of his butt crack and they put them on twitter to see if anyone could tell the difference.

• Love 2
On 5/31/2020 at 10:18 PM, ParadoxLost said:

You will know that you have looked at too many Community clips since the table read when youtube goes into the annals of history and decides its time to recommend the episode of Conan where Alison Brie explains that she took a picture of her boobs and Joel McHale took a picture of his butt crack and they put them on twitter to see if anyone could tell the difference.

It's okay. I'm looking up Annie/Jeff ship videos, muting them, and then playing "She's Like the Wind" because I couldn't find any ship videos that used that song.

God, it was such a well-done ship, because they never really went there aside from a few kisses. The melancholic in me really loved that it mostly remained unrequited, and with Jeff letting her go at the end because he knew that she needed to go off and do her life while he came to terms with the fact that his life was Greendale.

• Love 2

On 5/24/2020 at 5:52 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I was an intermittent watcher in real time but with quarantine I've been researching the show. Currently on the start of season 2. So much fun.

I’m reconnecting with the show during this quarantine period, as well.  I watched a fair portion of S1-S3 originally.  My mom and I were huge “The Soup” fans and followed Joel to his new show.  We even went to see his standup in DC circa 2008-2010-ish at the National Theatre.  I don’t remember any specifics of that set, other than being super impressed with the tightness of his material, and that the theater was packed.

He is so good in Community:  aside from impeccable comic timing, he’s very talented at conveying what’s going on beneath Jeff’s surface and conveying a mixture of bravado and insecurity.  I’ve tended to remember his snarky self from “The Soup”, and his performance here has been a pleasant reminder of his talent.  I can’t believe I had forgotten.  Plus, his “What the hell?!?” line delivery in “Remedial Chaos Theory” after Pierce was shot makes me laugh every time I think about it.

At the time the show was starting, I was traveling for work for weeks and months at a time, and I never caught up on eps that I missed, and never went back to S4 onward, either.  I did download from iTunes at some point “Modern Warfare” because I’ve watched it on planes and in airports on my phone more times than I can count.  But I definitely had never seen the S2 follow-up paintball 2-parter until this quarantine, and I feel like part 1 surpasses “Modern Warfare” in its brilliance, probably because it so prominently featured Alison Brie, who is just the best.

I got all the way through S3 during my quarantine rewatch, but I’m a little iffy on pushing through the rest.  In my new obsession with the show, I’ve now gone back and read about all the drama of S4 onward (although I’ve also read all the “S4 isn’t that bad” takes, so I get that I may need to give it a shot).  I don’t really want to see Troy and Shirley leave; I actually can’t imagine enjoying the show without them.  Pierce dying, I will welcome, as Chevy Chase seems to be a colossal ass, and I have never thought he was a good actor on this show in any episode.  (I did watch the YouTube table read, and that ep of Pierce’s will reading did sound hilarious.)

I was a Jeff/Annie shipper in my original watch, and I’ve tipped into hardcore shipper now, so I have read how the show ends, and I don’t think I could take seeing  it.  If the “andamovie” had ever happened and gotten them together later on in their lives, I could maybe stomach that ending for them on the show, because it makes sense that Annie had to leave then and that Jeff would not want to anchor her for his own needs (plus he needed to complete a journey of selflessness).  But they love each other, and I need the happy ending.  The show seems to have gotten some juice again being on Netflix and with Ken and Joel’s podcast, so maybe a Netflix movie could happen someday.  Nonexclusive streaming rights for Netflix doesn’t bode well, though.

It’s tough wanting to discuss a show that everyone has discussed to death years prior, lol.  Sorry for the long post.

• Love 5

Been rewatching from the beginning and I forgot how much I love Britta and Troy. I always wanted them together from the 1st season, but I completely forgot they actually did become an actual couple - it's such a shame they never did anything with them. They were so cute together and I loved when she called herself the worst and he told her that she's the best

• Love 5
On 8/10/2020 at 11:58 AM, Hybridcookie said:

Been rewatching from the beginning and I forgot how much I love Britta and Troy. I always wanted them together from the 1st season, but I completely forgot they actually did become an actual couple - it's such a shame they never did anything with them. They were so cute together and I loved when she called herself the worst and he told her that she's the best

I wasn't against their ship but I think "Basic Human Anatomy"(where they break up) written by Jim Rash is definitely the best season 4 episode. It's the one that really captured the spirit of the previous seasons 

I'm watching for the first time and I've gotten to season 6. I got to the part where Britta gives her definition of "hoist by your own petard" and while I'd never given it much thought I do think I'd had a similar definition in my head. I feel like that's a bad sign. On the other hand, I did look up the real origin, and I am not disappointed. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Dan Harmon: 'Gears are turning' on Community movie, despite 'philosophical question' he hasn't answered

Like with Hannibal, I'm torn on whether or not I want Community to come back in some form. I was pretty happy with where the show ended, but love it so much that I can't help wanting more while also being worried that a botched revival would affect my enjoyment of the show as a whole (which is what happened for me with Veronica Mars).

• Love 5
(edited)

The official Community channel on YouTube is doing a full rewatch, putting up a new (well, new to YouTube) episode every Thursday and Sunday. They’re just two episodes in so far. I remember thinking years ago that it wasn’t till 1x07 (Introduction to Statistics) that the show really hit its stride.

also, turns out that was the first episode that Justin Lin directed. This show was stacked with talent. I think all of the main cast have gone on to at least one more starring role, and of course both Lin and the Russo Brothers went on to be cornerstone directors on blockbuster film franchises.

Edited by arc
  • Love 4