Type keyword(s) to search

Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee - General Discussion

• Start Topic

We watched the Ellen DeGeneres episode last night, and immediately followed it with her new Netflix standup special.

Imagine my surprise when a lot of the supposedly spontaneous conversation from her turned out to be verbatim bits from her act.

That isn't exactly a crime, but I always did use to think that we were getting an unpackaged look at the comedians on the show, and I've lost my innocence a bit on that.

I also now wouldn't be surprised to learn that the idea for Jerry to have Ellen out for coffee came from Netflix. A bit of the old cross-promotion, nudge nudge, wink wink.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

I'm still on season 9, the last episodes of that season... I just saw the Christopher Waltz, and got a little disappointed... no chemistry between them, it looks like Jerry didn't know what to talk about with him, besides the Viena talk.

But I love this show so much, that even the bad episodes are fun to watch.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Netflix just dropped a new season of this show, and so far it is just wonderful! Check it out gang!

The Eddie Murphy ep has some laugh out loud moments. I couldn't really get into the Ricky Gervais ep. I'm going to try again when I'm not jetlagged.

• Love 2

The endless eating reveals how long these 15 minute shows take to film ... enough for two meals and a snack!

This is one of the shows I dip into whenever I need a lift and a laugh, but I would have preferred fewer repeat guests; there are so many other intriguing comics in the world.

It was interesting to hear Jerry say he talks to Barry Marder every day because I just don't picture him as someone who reaches out for regular contact like that. Wrong again in this life.

I was similarly surprised that Jerry has such strong dislike for [someone], because he's not one to start celebrity beefs or badmouth people in public. Bobcat Goldthwait seems like a solid guess, though.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, palmaire said:

The endless eating reveals how long these 15 minute shows take to film ... enough for two meals and a snack!

Great observation! I never really thought about how much food and coffee was being consumed, but I did have an unexamined belief that what we were seeing took place in the space of, let's say, a three to five hour visit. Like maybe, including driving time, Jerry picks up guest at 10:30 and returns him or her home by 3:30. I should know better, because my career was shooting commercials, and I know what's involved in shooting on location, but the show has a looseness that just made me buy the premise. In fact, it could take multiple days to shoot one episode! (They just make sure to wear the same clothing each day.)

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

I absolutely HAVE to know who Jerry and Bridget Everett were talking about! 

I think it's Gilbert Gottfried. It sounds like they were talking about a comic contemporary of Jerry's known for  "the voice". Also, if you look at their jaw movements under the black square, it matches. 

It was weird seeing Jerry go off like that.  It completely took over the episode.  I feel like we need another episode where we get to know more about Bridget.

14 hours ago, PBSLover said:

Jerry eats so much on the show. Or am I just used to no one eating on television???

Everyone definitely ate more this season than in previous seasons.

I like the additions of clips that show what Jerry and his guests are referencing. 

Overall this is a strong season, which is nice because last season seemed off.

I'd like to see him interview Catherine O'Hara and Andrea Martin. Basically more SCTV and Kids in the Hall members.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 4
On 7/21/2019 at 1:15 AM, DiabLOL said:

I absolutely HAVE to know who Jerry and Bridget Everett were talking about! 

Right????  Jerry was pissed off. He’s said that he swears in real life all the time, just not in his act. He was on fire with the f-bombs. Who is this person they’re talking about???

On 7/21/2019 at 2:00 AM, palmaire said:

This is one of the shows I dip into whenever I need a lift and a laugh, but I would have preferred fewer repeat guests; there are so many other intriguing comics in the world.

It was interesting to hear Jerry say he talks to Barry Marder every day because I just don't picture him as someone who reaches out for regular contact like that. Wrong again in this life.

I was similarly surprised that Jerry has such strong dislike for [someone], because he's not one to start celebrity beefs or badmouth people in public. Bobcat Goldthwait seems like a solid guess, though.

I started the series over again last week. Bob Einstein joked that he and Jerry have been shooting for 6 hours and yeah, he had to take a bathroom break. Lol

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/21/2019 at 2:44 PM, 7-Zark-7 said:

I'd like to see him interview Catherine O'Hara and Andrea Martin. Basically more SCTV and Kids in the Hall members.

Pamela Adlon would be interesting....

And Awkwafina!  He could ask her for her opinion about the Chinese joke.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 5

I'll add Maria Bamford and Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson to the list of comedians I'd like to see on this show. I think there's only 2 women out of 12 comedians this season.

• Love 4
(edited)

Loved this season--particularly Eddie Murphy, Mario Joyner, and Melissa Villasenor--but as a long-suffering (is there any other kind?) Mets fan, I was over the moon for the Matthew Broderick episode! Jerry's baseball skills aren't too shabby. And Matthew completely charmed me by citing the Bowery Boys and Abbott & Costello (and enjoying Jerry's beloved W.C. Fields sketch), thereby proving himself to be a very old person trapped in a middle-aged person's body--a weirdness we have in common.

Also? Their "fight" in the coffee shop was priceless.

Edited by spaceghostess
Facts!
  • Love 4
On 2/23/2019 at 2:15 AM, ArthurEngel said:

I'm still on season 9, the last episodes of that season... I just saw the Christopher Waltz, and got a little disappointed... no chemistry between them, it looks like Jerry didn't know what to talk about with him, besides the Viena talk.

But I love this show so much, that even the bad episodes are fun to watch.

I just watched the Waltz one last night. It just didn't work, felt awkward and not in a good way. Just a mismatch.  IHOP! 

• Love 2
On 7/23/2019 at 4:03 PM, Soobs said:

I'll add Maria Bamford and Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson to the list of comedians I'd like to see on this show. I think there's only 2 women out of 12 comedians this season.

Bamford is a genius! I'd watch any of these women, but she's tops to me. So darn funny.

• Love 4

Just finished the latest season. In the last episode, where they were talking about the 2:00 dentist appointment being delayed by 30 minutes, I thought sure they were going for a tooth-hurty joke. Apparently I'm six.

and Jamie Foxx - man, that guy takes up space! The legs stretched out, the arm over the back of the next booth... I enjoyed the conversation, but I'm not sure a regular person could get away with that. 

Overall, though, really enjoyed the season. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Just finished the latest season. In the last episode, where they were talking about the 2:00 dentist appointment being delayed by 30 minutes, I thought sure they were going for a tooth-hurty joke. Apparently I'm six.

and Jamie Foxx - man, that guy takes up space! The legs stretched out, the arm over the back of the next booth... I enjoyed the conversation, but I'm not sure a regular person could get away with that. 

The arm over the back??? I started to watch the guy on the other side of the booth when the arm drape started moving lower and lower into the other booth. I was really distracted by this. I was wondering if this was worked out beforehand or another case of CELEBRITY!!! Let them act as rude as they want because they are a STAR!!!

BTW loved the Eddie Murphy episode and the first part of the Ricky Gervais.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm glad to get the info that there are more episodes. I really like listening to comics sitting around talking shop, and this has been a great show for that. 

Amazing that Eddie and Jerry were on the same card, also Gilbert was next on that list. 

It's really amazing how long these people have been at it. 

I love stuff like, 'yeah I played the Copa.' You know it's like, whoa. I had one moment like that and it's fantastic. 

Really interesting point about so many options leading to a lack of greatness. I don't know if that's entirely fair because the options give more people a shot. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3

I'm new to the series and watching them on Netflix. When I checked an episode guide, it appears they are wildly out of order on Netflix. I found the time references jarring, recent vs 7 years ago. If you binge watch (easy to do) that's an issue. 

Some of these have really surprised me. I don't really like Kristin Wiig's performances but I found her a lot more likable and attractive than her sketch work. There was a really awkward moment when Tina Fey asked Jerry how his kids handle Santa Claus...."We're Jewish?" .... It was just odd, not played for laughs. 

The cars are amazing as is Jerry's facility with car knowledge. As a former DOT functionary, it really bugged me when he drove the commercial bus and the 18 wheeler (Aziz). Unless he has a CDL, that's illegal. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Heh. I, too, am six. My dad's to blame for a long line of such jokes embedded in my subconscious. But he gets credit for raising me on Mel Brooks. He showed me The Producers when the movie was ten years old and I was six, and The 2000 Year-old Man was a road-trip staple in our family. The Mel Brooks/Carl Reiner episode was a beautiful thing.

• Love 5
On 7/23/2019 at 7:36 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

Then I agree 100% with Jerry. I too despise Bobcat. 

Yeah it has to be him because as Jerry said, he has no act. Amazing to see Jerry go off like that. I mean, that's a show biz guy. He's right, the act is the currency. You have it or don't. What struck me was that Jerry was implying Bobcat didn't work for it, and I totally see Jerry as a 'pay your dues' guy. If you look at the comics on the show, there's always a story about 'coming up.' Respect the hustle. 

I didn't think it was Gilbert because he's been around as long as Jerry and it's still doing gigs. Plus he really strikes me as a 'comic's comic' when you see him around other comics, they love him. You take his voice out of it and he still has killer jokes. 

Why was there a roll of scotch tape on the table in the restaurant with in the Barry episode? I'll tell you what, you're selling jokes to the likes of Letterman and Leno, you know what you're doing. 

There seemed to be a lot more eating this time too. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/26/2019 at 7:36 AM, Quickbeam said:

I'm new to the series and watching them on Netflix. When I checked an episode guide, it appears they are wildly out of order on Netflix. I found the time references jarring, recent vs 7 years ago. If you binge watch (easy to do) that's an issue. 

It all depends on what the meaning of "order" is. 🙂 Someone (Netflix or Jerry) decided to group all the pre-2018 episodes by "theme," rather than chronologically. So there is an order to things. I agree it's not as useful an order, but it's an order. I have a theory as to why they did it. Some of the episodes are really old at this point, and they didn't want people to think "old stuff" and not bother to look at them. So now (despite the thematic groupings) it's kind of more like a garage sale that forces you to look through everything to find the treasures. And the age of the episodes is effectively disguised, since old is grouped in with new, by "theme." People, not rejecting any episodes as stale (because they can't tell how old they are), may end up watching more episodes, which of course is what Netflix wants; eyeballs glued to Netflix for more time means eyeballs not glued to Hulu, Amazon, etc., since time is a zero-sum commodity. Eyeball market share maximized.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 7/27/2019 at 12:49 PM, Milburn Stone said:

It all depends on what the meaning of "order" is. 🙂 Someone (Netflix or Jerry) decided to group all the pre-2018 episodes by "theme," rather than chronologically. So there is an order to things. I agree it's not as useful an order, but it's an order. I have a theory as to why they did it. Some of the episodes are really old at this point, and they didn't want people to think "old stuff" and not bother to look at them. So now (despite the thematic groupings) it's kind of more like a garage sale that forces you to look through everything to find the treasures. And the age of the episodes is effectively disguised, since old is grouped in with new, by "theme." People, not rejecting any episodes as stale (because they can't tell how old they are) may end up watching more episodes, which of course is what Netflix wants; eyeballs glued to Netflix for more time means eyeballs not glued to Hulu, Amazon, etc., since time is a zero-sum commodity. Eyeball market share maximized.

Thanks. I was just going in Netflix order, now I’m going by guest. 

On 7/25/2019 at 9:28 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I saw that too, but figured it was because the booth was tiny and they both couldn’t face each other and still be on camera. 

• Love 1

I just am  watching the rant on the not funny comic with Bridget. First I thought it was was Gilbert too but agree is Bob Cat the least funny and most irritating person  I don’t know who Bridget is and I think she  was thrown off by Jerry’s tirade. ( I was !) 

I would die a happy woman if. Could be in the backseat with Jerry and Rickie and Sebastian .Brian Regan maybe Martin Short. And Kathleen Madigan  There is nothing better to me that see two comics making each other loose it.

The HBO special Talking Funny he did with Chris Rock Louie CK and Rickie Gervais I found funny. 

• Love 1

I finally started watching this show, and binged almost all of the episodes over  the past few weeks. The only one I couldn’t finish was Kristin Wiig, because the number of times she said “like” drove me insane. Someone her age really shouldn't speak that way. I enjoy the dissection of comedy and specific bits. Also, when you are worth $950 million, you can afford to not care about much and do what the heck you want.

Edited by Ottis
Added depth
  • Love 1
On 7/21/2019 at 2:44 PM, 7-Zark-7 said:

I think it's Gilbert Gottfried. It sounds like they were talking about a comic contemporary of Jerry's known for  "the voice". Also, if you look at their jaw movements under the black square, it matches. 

While I don't think it's necessarily Gilbert he's talking about in this case (as has been pointed out Bobcat Golthwaite fits too), there definitely is no love lost there. Gilbert does an impression of Jerry, and it doesn't really come off as one driven by respect.