Type keyword(s) to search

Agent Carter - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

Doing a rewatch on Disney +, and I just want to say how much I still love Peggy's platonic-but-blinding chemistry with Mr. Jarvis. James D'Arcy is just endlessly entertaining in the role, and a brilliant match for Hayley Atwell. Howard might be the role of a lifetime for Dominic Cooper; or maybe it's just that it's the most I've ever liked him.

I enjoyed the "Captain Carter" episode of What If... but it feels a little superfluous somehow; that is, I agree with the comment upthread that giving Peggy superpowers seems almost beside the point.

Edited to add: Not that I didn't enjoy watching Captain Carter hand out lollipops and whupass...
Also, the moment Peggy picked up that sword to slash at the Hydra tentacle, I admit I thought of Captain Britain. (Excalibur, here we come?)

Edited by Sandman
Titles, and such.
  • Love 5

Before the cancellation and Endgame screwed everything up, I would have loved the show to end with an older Peggy and whoever Mr. Carter turned out to be (not Steve) looking back on her life and accomplishments and passing the torch on to Sharon.

• Love 3

From the new behind-the-scenes Marvel Studios book that was recently released...

Marvel Studios Just Revealed That Agent Carter Is Actually MCU Canon
By Russ Milheim    October 20, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-mcu-canon-agent-carter-show 

The Story of Marvel Studios: The Making of the Marvel Cinematic Universe recently hit stores, and it contains hundreds of pages of new information regarding the creation of the world that Marvel fans adore.

In the book, there's a section within its 2015 chapter that brings up the release of Agent Carter , the show on ABC that starred Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter.
"Launched on January 6, the series debuted on the ABC midseason slate. Notably, Agent Carter marked the first time an MCU-originated character would transition from the big screen to the small screen, with canon storytelling that would eventually dovetail back into future films."

A show revolving around Peggy Carter had been trying to get off the ground for years but "had been difficult to push through on the theatrical side, due to impasses with Marvel Entertainment in New York."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

TV's Best Two-Season Shows, Ranked: Now Featuring Timeless, Detroiters, Witches, For Life and Other Updates
By Team TVLine / November 18 2021
https://tvline.com/lists/best-tv-shows-two-seasons-cancelled-list-photos/

10  MARVEL’S AGENT CARTER (ABC, 2015-16)
What at the time was TV’s most MCU-adjacent live-action Marvel series found Hayley Atwell reprising her Captain America role, with Peggy fighting to prove herself at the pre-S.H.I.E.L.D. Strategic Scientific Reserve (SSR) while also abetting the industrious Howard Stark. Season 2 moved the action from NYC to L.A., eventually leaving us with a cliffhanger — who shot [OMITTED WORD] in order to steal an explosive file about Carter? — that, alas, will never be resolved.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Female TV Trailblazers: 25+ Characters Who Made a Big Impact on the Small Screen, From Lucy to Buffy and Beyond
By Team TVLine / March 8 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/best-female-tv-characters-iconic-women-photos/i-love-lucy-ricardo/ 

PEGGY CARTER, AGENT CARTER
We first met Hayley Atwell’s Peggy on the big screen, where she flexed her liberated muscle while keeping the mighty Captain America on mission. And soon as the credits rolled, we had to know more about this woman of substance. As the focus of her own ABC series, Peggy once again bumped heads with pig-headed superiors at the SSR, all while all-too-ably masterminding top-secret missions tied to the next-gen handiwork of Howard Stark. It was very much a 1940s man’s world that Peggy lived in, yet she again and again proved herself to be quite a wonder woman.

• Love 3

HA said that Enver Gjokaj (who played Sousa in both Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD) had called her, asking if she minded that he was in Agents of SHIELD ("he felt like he was betraying me somehow"), and she jokingly told him not to have as much fun as he did on Agent Carter...

HAYLEY ATWELL Peggy Carter Panel – Awesome Con 2022
Fandom Spotlite   Jun 8, 2022

• Like 1
  • Love 1

TV's Best Two-Season Shows, Ranked: Pushing Daisies, Timeless, PEN15, Smash, Galavant, Mindhunter and More!
By Team TVLine / September 1 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/best-tv-shows-two-seasons-cancelled-list-photos/

9  MARVEL'S AGENT CARTER (ABC, 2015-16)
What at the time was TV’s most MCU-adjacent live-action Marvel series found Hayley Atwell reprising her Captain America role, with Peggy fighting to prove herself at the pre-S.H.I.E.L.D. Strategic Scientific Reserve (SSR) while also abetting the industrious Howard Stark. Season 2 moved the action from NYC to L.A., eventually leaving us with a cliffhanger — who shot [______] in order to steal an explosive file about Carter? — that, alas, will never be resolved.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Every Marvel Cinematic Universe TV show, ranked
By Samantha Nelson, Tasha Robinson, and Zosha Millman  Updated Nov 25, 2022
https://www.polygon.com/tv/22561233/mcu-tv-shows-ranked-marvel-cinematic-universe 

2. AGENT CARTER (2015-2016)
Where WandaVision explores what happens when an immensely powerful superhero loses the love of her life, Agent Carter flips the formula by exploring the same kind of grief, but steeping it in powerlessness. After the events of Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America’s “best girl” Peggy Carter is mourning his supposed death, but also trying to carry on as a hero in an environment that increasingly doesn’t want female heroes.

Mimicking the real-life societal shift that moved women into traditional men’s work during World War II then sidelined them again when the soldiers came home, Agent Carter deals closely with the sexism and condescension Peggy (played fiercely by Hayley Atwell) faces on the job at the FBI-like Strategic Scientific Reserve. When her sexist fellow agents contemptuously treat her like a side-piece Captain America foolishly allowed a little equality, she’s forced to chase down America’s enemies on the sly alongside Howard Stark’s butler Jarvis (James D’Arcy). The series is sharp, with meaningful conflict, a satisfying Marvel-movie overplot, and a noir-movie concept of both the gender wars and the job of a private investigator. Atwell and D’Arcy make a terrific team. And the show even looks spectacular, with a Technicolor-style sense for style. It’s unquestionably MCU-modern rather than a period piece, but it takes all the most beloved ideas about costuming, cinematography, humor, and storytelling from the period it’s evoking. —TR

• Like 1
  • Useful 1