Type keyword(s) to search

A.P. Bio - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

This is probably our favorite show. Great ensemble cast—great writing to keep them all unique (except the three teachers—they’re meh but at least show doesn’t put them on a sticky sweet pedestal like every other comedy with a teacher in it). That video and happy birthday 😂. Jack not stealing the joy from those who think they saved the budget cuts. Helen’s ass. Perfect.

• Love 3
On 4/19/2019 at 8:56 PM, meatball77 said:

She's on facebook live and she's got tons of people watching all her rants.

Thanks! I watched her introductory scene again and had an epiphany: her job is the school's social media. I like to imagine that she is providing [inappropriate] content for the school rather than slacking off.

• Love 1

Helen's ass and the no honk zones were cracking me up.  She is my second favorite character after Jack. The pop/jazz add was pretty funny.  Does anyone here watch Teen mom 2? I thought the girl in the glasses all glammed up with the curly hair looked like a grown up version of Leah's daughter Ally.  I don't mean that  a rude way. 

• Love 1

S2.E9: Dr. Whoopsie

After an embarrassing video of himself falling off a stage goes viral, Jack plans a viral video of his own. Meanwhile, Durbin, Helen, and the teachers track down Whitlock's most notorious litterer: the Sugar Daddy.

Original air date: 5/2/19

Just now, meatball77 said:

I loved the lady teacher saying that she always knew who did it on SVU (it's never the second guy they interview). 

And the Law & Order-esque scene of the interview with the custodian continuing to work.

Sullen, rebellious Victor and his "get out of my way now please" was charming.

• Love 5

It’s been such a pleasant surprise how much I’ve legit enjoyed the second season of this. The characters have leaned into their strangeness in ways that are consistently funny, whereas the first season had a more coherent overall arc that didn’t let the supporting cast shine.

Paula Pell needs to submit this past episode as an FYC screener for the Emmys: She’s rapidly emerged as a challenger to Howerton’s *other* underappreciated comic genius co-star, Kaitlin Olson, as the funniest performer on TV right now. Her timing when she went through her filing system was *everything*.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, omophagia said:

It’s been such a pleasant surprise how much I’ve legit enjoyed the second season of this. The characters have leaned into their strangeness in ways that are consistently funny, whereas the first season had a more coherent overall arc that didn’t let the supporting cast shine.

Paula Pell needs to submit this past episode as an FYC screener for the Emmys: She’s rapidly emerged as a challenger to Howerton’s *other* underappreciated comic genius co-star, Kaitlin Olson, as the funniest performer on TV right now. Her timing when she went through her filing system was *everything*.

My tablet is hating me at the moment and I can't link it but: Patton Oswalt was on Seth Meyers and talks about how Paula Pell is the funniest person alive. 

• Love 3

I have bruised ribs, and it hurts to laugh. So I nearly died from pain at "oh my smashed butt!" after Jack fell off the stage. I am laughing and wincing now just remembering it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

This has also become my favorite show. I look forward to it every week. Dan Decker and the girl with the glasses are my faves. The teachers worked well this episode for me. Normally, they're the weakest part of the show.

• Love 3

I thought this season was over but two more episodes on 5/30, at 7:00 and 7:30 CDT (and I believe two more after those):

10: When he's kicked off his Harvard phone plan, Jack is offered a chance to leapfrog onto Mary's on one condition -- he must help her break up with her scuzzy boyfriend; Anthony becomes Durbin's right-hand man.

11: After his computer breaks, Jack rallies his class to win the annual Whitlock's Got Talent competition so the prize money can go toward a new laptop; Helen and Durbin host the show; Mary, Stef and Michelle prepare a hand-bell routine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/25/2019 at 1:28 AM, biakbiak said:

I assumed but now it’s official:

Unfortunately it was probably doomed when they waited until midseason to bring it back. They got off to a bit of a slow start the first season, wasting too much time on the other teachers, not giving Paula Pell enough material, and not having faith in the younger actors to carry the show even though that's where the writing was sharpest from the jump. I think if it came back in the fall at the same level of quality they would have gotten more people who checked it out and lost interest or never saw it to give it a chance. This isn't Brooklyn Nine-Nine with a devoted fanbase eagerly awaiting it's return and seeking it out so it kind of got lost in the shuffle. If they had scheduled The Office the same way it probably would have ben two seasons and out as well.

Edited by wknt3
ducking autocorrect...
  • Love 6

Best comedy this season and will always be in my top five. The students—omg, such distinct characters, bringing their own kind of funny every episode. Just amazing. Patton Oswalt with Paula Pell, Patton Oswalt with Glenn Howerton—the best. Genius writing and directing. I’ll buy the DVDs but will miss this group and will look for these talented actors elsewhere. 

• Love 5

From TVByTheNumbers:

The cancellation doesn’t come as much of a surprise, with “A.P. Bio” only averaging a low 0.5 live + same day rating among adults 18-49 this year – making it NBC’s fourth-lowest-rated scripted title of the season.

S2.E10: Handcuffed

When he's kicked off his Harvard phone plan, Jack is offered a chance to leapfrog onto Mary's on one condition -- he must help her break up with her scuzzy boyfriend; Anthony becomes Durbin's right-hand man

S2.E11: Spectacle

After his computer breaks, Jack rallies his class to win the annual Whitlock's Got Talent competition so the prize money can go toward a new laptop; Helen and Durbin host the show; Mary, Stef and Michelle prepare a hand-bell routine.

Original air date: 5/30/19

• Useful 2
On 5/28/2019 at 9:51 AM, Aileen said:

So disappointed in this cancellation, especially when NBC has yet to cancel Abby, which is just a horribly unfunny show.

Abby's was cancelled today, along with two other shows. 

5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Interesting that they're apparently going to show the remaining episodes even though it's been cancelled. Have to get those advertising dollars, huh NBC?

Why wouldn’t they? They paid for the season. Yes, shows don’t always air all their episodes but more and more networks are showing all the eps particularly when it’s a complete season.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:
9 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Interesting that they're apparently going to show the remaining episodes even though it's been cancelled. Have to get those advertising dollars, huh NBC?

Why wouldn’t they? They paid for the season. Yes, shows don’t always air all their episodes but more and more networks are showing all the eps particularly when it’s a complete season.

Exactly. Plus, it wasn't outright cancelled in the second season, it just wasn't picked up for a third.

Nothing next week due to the Stanley Cup, but we get the last two eps on 6/13.

Edited by Ms Lark
grammar
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/30/2019 at 6:32 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

On 5/30/2019 at 11:38 PM, UnknownK said:

The might as well show the episodes since nothing else is going on.

On 5/31/2019 at 12:20 AM, biakbiak said:

These days it seems that networks only leave episodes unaired if ratings are terrible AND they really believe that creatively it's a complete turd. Otherwise you just alienate the audience and make them less likely to take a chance on your shows. Also as @UnknownKpoints out it's not like they have a lot of better options. Only CBS has shows that win their timeslot in reruns against originals. I'm glad they are letting it finish out it's run and while I'm sad to see it go and think NBC has made mistakes, I don't think they've been underhanded or hypocritical in any way.

Edited by wknt3
ducking autocorrect...
  • Love 1

Was an OK show, but I have to say I am glad Glenn will be able to focus again now on Its Always sunny.  I thought the last season of that show was the weakest in a long time, maybe ever. 

The might as well show the episodes since nothing else is going on.

And therein lies NBC's apparent attitude toward this show: better than nothing!

Here's the problem I see with showing the remaining episodes after the cancellation: first, likely the only people watching will the small number of people who had been watching it already. Second, if any new viewers decide they like it and want to see more? Oh well. Either way, IMO it could turn people off of taking a chance on NBC shows.

I think this show was perhaps better suited for the USA network or one of the streaming services. The older broadcast audience probably couldn't buy into a concept where a bunch of super smart kids are made the victims of an authority figure. Some people may have wondered who they were supposed to root for.

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Was an OK show, but I have to say I am glad Glenn will be able to focus again now on Its Always sunny.  I thought the last season of that show was the weakest in a long time, maybe ever. 

I think people who have been on a show for too long are looking for a way out to do something different or to show they can be a lead instead of an ensemble cast. He will probably look for something else to star in.

People think Lauren Cohan is going back to TWD after her show was canceled but I think she will likely look for another leading role elsewhere. Same with Glenn.

Not too shocked this got canceled it is a niche show. I was more shocked Kaitlin Olson's (also from Sunny) show The Mick got canceled last year since it was funnier,

• Love 2

"I'm dead." " I'm dead too, now take me to heaven. "

OK, I'm paraphrasing a bit but damn, the students play was funny, I mean "laugh out loud and scare my dog" funny. 

And I know the teachers aren't everyone's cup of tea, but the hand bells...OMG!😂😂😂. My mother was in a church bell choir, and those people can be intense about their bells (phrasing!?!😂).

So sorry the show was canceled. I know Patton Oswald was trying for a #saveapbio movement but that doesn't seem likely.

• Love 3
(edited)

Does anyone see bits of Dennis from its alway sunny, in Jack? Especially last season.  I think Glenn is an amazing actor.  I love this cast and hope someone saves the show!!! 

It was sweet to see the softer side of Jack when he told Mary, that she is a catch.  That was sweet.  And any comedy with the stair elevator cracks me up. 

Edited by Cherry Cola
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, UnknownK said:

I think people who have been on a show for too long are looking for a way out to do something different or to show they can be a lead instead of an ensemble cast. He will probably look for something else to star in.

People think Lauren Cohan is going back to TWD after her show was canceled but I think she will likely look for another leading role elsewhere. Same with Glenn.

Not too shocked this got canceled it is a niche show. I was more shocked Kaitlin Olson's (also from Sunny) show The Mick got canceled last year since it was funnier,

Oh I am sure they will all be looking for other opportunities.  I don't blame them for that. 

But Glenn was still on Its Always Sunny even while involved with this show as well.  I think he was just less involved with the writing last season.  I can't see him leaving the show.  If he wanted to do that, he would have already

I though the same thing as well about the Mick.  It was a better and funnier show than AP Bio, was surprised it was cancelled.  It had a good all around cast. though Kaitlin Olson really wasn't playing a character much different than Dee Reynolds on The Mick. 

On 5/30/2019 at 3:32 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

That's fairly common. I remember several shows being canceled (even as far back as 20 years ago) and the networks aired the remaining episodes. Sometimes they wait until the summer hiatus to burn off the rest of the episodes, but unless a show gets yanked fairly early in the season (like the infamous Girls Club being canceled after two episodes), it's pretty normal for the remaining episodes to get aired eventually (not during sweeps, obviously), especially in a case like this where the show was simply not renewed for S3. They already filmed and edited all of S2 so there's no reason for them not to air the last few episodes. By the time the network announced that the show was not coming back for S3, there were only four episodes left of S2 to air so it doesn't really hurt them to let them air.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2