Type keyword(s) to search

Iron Chef America - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm resurrecting this thread since I've been watching some of these old shows on demand.  I remember thinking it had really devolved by the time it ended, and the newer iron chefs weren't as good.  I think I was wrong on both counts.  The biggest issue I have with the last season is only having 2 judges, which I just don't get.  Maybe it was a cost savings thing?  That has the biggest impact to me.  And in the couple seasons prior to that, they were trying to do too much, imo, with the culinary curveball, but even that wasn't as bad as I remembered. 

As to the quality of the chefs, Garces is so much better than I remember.  He is really quite good, and I don't just mean in regards to wins- his food is more inventive, and seemingly tasty, than I remembered.  I also remember Forgione getting dissed, and he actually didn't do that many competitions, it seems, so it is harder to judge.  And some of those were "specials" like the IC tournament of champions (where they battled each others) so it is harder to get a fair assessment.  

I do still think they ended up with too many Iron Chefs - Izard, Garces, Forgione, Zakarian, Guarnaschelli, Symon, Morimoto, Flay...  I wish Stephanie Izard had had more chances to compete.  She was the last one added, iirc, and then that was the last season.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

As to the quality of the chefs, Garces is so much better than I remember.  He is really quite good, and I don't just mean in regards to wins- his food is more inventive, and seemingly tasty, than I remembered.  I also remember Forgione getting dissed, and he actually didn't do that many competitions, it seems, so it is harder to judge.  And some of those were "specials" like the IC tournament of champions (where they battled each others) so it is harder to get a fair assessment.  

Garces is the only Iron Chef whose food I have tasted -- I went to one of his restaurants, Distrito, in Philadelphia a few years ago.  I don't recall exactly what we ate, except that there was a sorbet on the plate with the hot food.  But I do remember that it was a delicious meal.  It's a shame his restaurant group was acquired after he declared bankruptcy.

• Love 1