Type keyword(s) to search

Inspector Lewis - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm not on Twitter, but was reading an article today on 'cancel culture' that mentioned Laurence Fox, checked his feed, and wow does he seem awful. Hathaway was my favorite character on the show and I had also been wondering about a spinoff featuring him, but I think I'm good.

Wow that's a shame about Fox.

I'm a new fan having discovered this show during quarantine.  I would never have watched a Hathaway series, I like him as Lewis' sidekick, but I'm a little bit obsessed with Robbie Lewis and the Robbie/Laura relationship.  

• Love 4

I started following Laurence Fox on Twitter at some point during the last few years of this show, because he posted funny in-jokes, or little behind-the-scenes snippets, which I very much enjoyed. I recently found some of the things he tweeted distasteful, and unfollowed him. I feel like his tone changed around the time his marriage broke up, and has gone downhill since then. I agree with krankydoodle!

I miss my Robbie! I watched Inspector Lewis first–I didn't care much for Morse when it originally aired. (I'm watching it now, when my local station shows in on Saturday night, mostly for Lewis/Kevin Whately.) I look forward to new seasons of Endeavour, and enjoy the Thursday/Morse relationship, as well as Shaun Evans and Roger Allam in their roles, but nothing compares to my anticipation of the arrival of each new Lewis, when I was able, and how much I wish they were still making more. Though, to bring this post full-circle, I now think I wouldn't care for a Hathaway series.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Kindred Spirit said:

I miss my Robbie! I watched Inspector Lewis first–I didn't care much for Morse when it originally aired. (I'm watching it now, when my local station shows in on Saturday night, mostly for Lewis/Kevin Whately.) I look forward to new seasons of Endeavour, and enjoy the Thursday/Morse relationship, as well as Shaun Evans and Roger Allam in their roles, but nothing compares to my anticipation of the arrival of each new Lewis, when I was able, and how much I wish they were still making more. 

Me too!   It’s crazy I didn’t know who Robbie was a little over 2 months ago and I’ve come to adore him so much.  I miss him and Laura.  I had seen a handful of episodes of Endeavour a few years ago and I liked it but could never remember to watch it, and having now seen some of Morse has kind of tainted Endeavour for me because I can’t stand the character Morse and want to punch him when he’s mean to Robbie.  I really wish they’d make a Lewis special. 

Edited by partofme
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Well, it's clear that Laurence Fox is not Sgt Hathaway! After reading some of the comments here, I sniffed around Twitter and Google and wow! (Run, Billie, Run! Good girl.) Now, I can barely watch him without wondering how difficult it probably was (too bad) to deliver Hathaway's lines given his particular mindset. Which seems to get more and more confused as we go on.

On 7/9/2020 at 3:46 PM, krankydoodle said:

Hathaway was my favorite character on the show and I had also been wondering about a spinoff featuring him, but I think I'm good.

Yup. Ditto. That said, I actually enjoy this and Endeavour a lot. Morse, not as much, but it's ok since I watched Endeavour before Morse! We have several PBS stations: one is running the early episodes and another the later ones, so we get double doses of Lewis twice a week!

• Love 2

Late to the party. Just spent the last month+ watching all of Lewis. Loved it. Particularly liked the relationship between Laura and Robbie and, of course, between Hathaway and Lewis. 

I did not like the abrupt change from Jean Innocent to the new Superintendent. Did nothing for me. 

I did like Maddox and would have loved another series to see more of the trio.

• Love 2
On 6/26/2023 at 7:03 PM, LisaM said:

Late to the party. Just spent the last month+ watching all of Lewis. Loved it. Particularly liked the relationship between Laura and Robbie and, of course, between Hathaway and Lewis. 

I did not like the abrupt change from Jean Innocent to the new Superintendent. Did nothing for me. 

I did like Maddox and would have loved another series to see more of the trio.

Love having another fan!   I discovered this show during the pandemic and love it.  Robbie Lewis is my favorite fictional detective.    Robbie & Laura are my favorite couple, and Robbie has a great relationship with Hathaway.   Part of me would have loved to have seen the show while it was originally airing, but it was kind of nice to binge it and know everyone would live happily ever after.   I would love a reunion special but these days they’d have to either recast Hathaway or explain away his absence (which I would be okay with if I could get more Robbie/Laura)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, geekgirl921 said:

After having watched Morse which I have never watched, I decided to go back and watch Lewis just to see how the character changed. Imagine my excitement when I discovered the pilot which I  had somehow missed!!

I love the Lewis pilot!   It does such a good job of setting up the series and I just love Robbie.

• Like 4

I really loved this show as well and watched every time my PBS station reran it.

Sadly, it is no longer on the local PBS schedule and the replacement is not particularly interesting (DCI Banks).

Lewis reigns supreme!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Bringing this over from the Midsomer Murders forum. 

I cannot do a rewatch because of Laurence Fox. He opens his mouth and bullshit comes out. And he admits he got all his "opinions" from watching YouTube videos. Well, you know what Larry, there are YouTube videos that "prove" the world is flat, so SHUT UP.

I am just pissed because I really loved Lewis and I am struggling to separate the character/show from the actor.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Bringing this over from the Midsomer Murders forum. 

I cannot do a rewatch because of Laurence Fox. He opens his mouth and bullshit comes out. And he admits he got all his "opinions" from watching YouTube videos. Well, you know what Larry, there are YouTube videos that "prove" the world is flat, so SHUT UP.

I am just pissed because I really loved Lewis and I am struggling to separate the character/show from the actor.

Fox is a massive jerk .  

It helps that I was never that interested in Hathaway.  He’s great as Lewis’s sidekick, but that was all he was to me.   I like the show for Lewis himself and for the Robbie & Laura romance.  The storyline in the last season with Hathaway’s father and sister annoyed the hell out of me, that was airtime that I felt should have been given to Robbie and Laura.  

• Like 3

I'm doing a rewatch and I'm finding I can ignore Fox and just see Hathaway, which is good. It's been a fun rewatch so far (mid season 2 right now).

• Like 3