Type keyword(s) to search

Night Court - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Night Court is returning to the Laff schedule starting tomorrow after being off for a brief bit due to According To Jim.

According to Jim is one of those shows like Lotsa Luck that did not age well AT All. If a show like According to Jim tried to exist today as a "new" comedy it be off the air fast.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, readster said:

According to Jim is one of those shows like Lotsa Luck that did not age well AT All. If a show like According to Jim tried to exist today as a "new" comedy it be off the air fast.

And it most likely would not do well in the ratings.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:20 PM, readster said:

I was thinking the same thing when I was watching it. I watched According to Jim when it originally came out and thought it was funny then. So when it was coming to LAFF I was excited I hadn't seen the show in a long time (but not excited at losing Night Court. Couldn't take off that 70 show or cut into one of its hours?). It didn't take long to realize to notice that. I tried to watch the show because I did like it at the time. But it didn't really hold up. Its odd too I really do like Courtney Thorne-Smith, Jim Belushi, and Kimberly William-Paisley. Snarky Dana, her back and forth insults with Jim, and snarky Ruby. But it wasn't the same. Although watching Ryan and Jim leave Tanner in the mouth of T-Rex skeleton and Dana's reaction when she realize the baby in the mouth was hers was still funny.

• Love 2
(edited)

One of my favorite scenes:

Bull: Is it really that bad over there(the Soviet Union)?

Yakov Korolenko: You ever been to Milwaukee?

Bull: Yeah.

Yakov: Close your eyes.

Bull: Why?

Yakov: Please?

[Bull does]

Yakov: When you open your eyes, you're going to be in the middle of Milwaukee. No matter where you go, no matter how far you run, you're still going to be in the middle of Milwaukee. You can get in a cab, and drive two hundred miles in any direction, and you're still going to be in the middle of Milwaukee. You can get in an airplane, and fly two thousand miles, and you're still...

Bull [clutching his head] NO! STOP, STOP IT!

[Bull rushes away]

Yakov Korolenko: [to his brother] Works every time.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

There is going to be a Night Court marathon today on Laff that starts at 1PM and will end at 5PM. Most of the episodes are from Season 8, but the last two episodes is the Season 9 premiere which is A Guy Named Phantom.

The marathon will be ending early due to a movie called Police Academy.

• Love 1

I was watching old episodes of night court and it was the early seasons with Billie Young as public defender.   I akways did like her sometimes more than Christine Sullivan.  There was the episode Harry and The Madam where A Madam gets pulled into Harry’s court and when Billie introduces herself the Madam asks is she is one of her girls and then says she has the looks for it.   Billie just giggles it off.  I am not sure if Christine even through all her seasons could have done that.

• Love 6

I know the show always shipped Christine and Harry but in retrospect I always liked the Dan and Christine pairing a lot better. Some of the best scenes of the entire show were Dan and Christine being vulnerable With each other.   It would have been a far better show if it had dropped Dan the skeazeball and took Dan and Christine seriously.  

But that might be an unpopular opinion.  

• Love 7
On 3/5/2020 at 1:15 PM, AncientNewbie said:

Night Court remains, as an attorney, the most accurate depiction of what courts are really like out of all the shows I've seen. 

Reinhold Weege, the creator was a writer on Barney Miller, a show many cops cite as the most realistic depiction on TV of daily life in a big city police precinct. It's drudgery and paperwork and dealing with crazies on a daily basis and I assume it's that way with most courts.

• Love 5

Interesting info @VCRTracking, and pretty close to what I was thinking.  I don't have the recall to cite specific instances or episodes, but even the idea that it was an arraignment part with pressure to dispose of cases quickly is more accurate than the procedurals. 

The most unrealistic thing isn't the Brent Spiner appearances or the soppy judge, it's that court rules wouldn't permit Harry to wander as freely as he does or hang out in the lunch room for security reasons. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I was just watching Night Court at the Opera and it occurred to me how much I liked Margaret and wished the show had kept her around longer.   Harry and Margaret has pretty good chemistry and it’s a pity the pairing was ultimately shut down for the will they/won’t they Harry/Christine pairing that ultimately went nowhere.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I love the two times Larroquette hosted SNL. Here's the monologue from his 2nd time hosting. It's one of my favorite monologues from a host. 

So, John was not going to give away his ... spot. No he wasn't going to give away his ... spot. I always wondered what Lin-Manuel Miranda's inspiration was for that song. Sure, he changed a word or two, but the sentiment's the same.

• Love 3

Did someone say ..............  revival?????

NBC is "in development" to bring back Night Court.

Abby Stone is the daughter of Harry Stone (I "wonder" who her mother was???).

It's her first day being a judge for the Manhattan arraignment courts,

and she discovers that her prosecutor is .............   Dan Fielding!!!!!!   (portrayed once again by Larroquette)

(Apparently, Dan never got that promotion.    When you run against a dead guy and lose, the writing is on the wall).

The show will also be produced (and "may" have a first episode cameo only) by Melissa Rauch.

They NEED to bring back Brent Spiner's character.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

and she discovers that her prosecutor is .............   Dan Fielding!!!!!!   (portrayed once again by Larroquette)

(Apparently, Dan never got that promotion.    When you run against a dead guy and lose, the writing is on the wall).

The show will also be produced (and "may" have a first episode cameo only) by Melissa Rauch.

I hope its as good as the original.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

I for one am quite excited! I adore John Larroquette! Yes! 

• Love 3

Has there been one revival that has lived up to the original run?

I’d rather this have happened when Harry Anderson was still alive.  Although his death might be one of the reasons Larroquette wants to do it.   

I’ll check it out but Anderson was the heart of Night Court for me.  

• Love 5
15 hours ago, ch1 said:

Battlestar Galactica. Even if the finale was disappointing, the show far exceeded the original version. But I agree that it's very rare for the revival or a sequel to be better than the original.

• Love 3
On 12/16/2020 at 8:36 PM, ch1 said:

I’d rather this have happened when Harry Anderson was still alive.  Although his death might be one of the reasons Larroquette wants to do it.   

I’ll check it out but Anderson was the heart of Night Court for me.  

I agree on all of this. Plus, I could see Larroquette and of course most of the cast is alive, Hell John Astin (Buddy) is still alive. The show could work, but really, they have a center like Anderson was. The entire cast gelled very well, even if for the first three years, they had to go with a new bailiff and defendant due to death and payment disagreements. It's been 30 years, it could work, but who knows.

• Love 2

I hope they don’t go the route of all the kids of the original somehow working together. It’s so contrived. I can pretty much guarantee my kids won’t work with the children of my current colleagues. My guess is it won’t happen at all. The bloom is off the reboot rose.

After the success of Sam and Diane on Cheers, many sitcoms tried to develop a will-they-or-won’t-they relationship between the two leads. And Night Court suffered from that, trying to do that for Harry and whoever the female lead at the time was: Lana, Billie, or Christine.

I also liked Billie more than Christine. She seemed more like one of the gang and more down to earth, while Christine was always a little uptight and had this artificial air to her (they caked the makeup on Markie Post). I also think Ellen Foley was a better comic actress. Shelley Hack (!) was actually slated to play Christine and was let go before they taped a full episode with her. Markie was busy with The Fall Guy but came in to play Christine in a guest appearance, and then Ellen was cast. As soon as Markie was available full time, they let Ellen go.

• Love 2
On 12/16/2020 at 12:27 PM, Twilight Man said:

Never mind "only a cameo".    Melissa is going to portray Abby Stone.

It's questionable if the show will wind up on network TV itself,

but Peacock will no doubt have it as part of its streaming service.

All of these streaming services are hungry for more content.

Interesting, I had no idea about this until now.    I will end up watching it I'm sure just to see John Larroquette again.

I wonder if Markie Post will be available? 

(edited)

I was a fan of Night Court growing up and having John Laroquette return as Dan guarantees I will watch the series.  The show was a lot of fun and had,a strong cast but Larroquette was the absolute best thing about it.

I like Melissa Rauch and she'll be a fine lead.  Only thing is if this is a real time show, Melissa is too old to be Harry's daughter as Harry didn't have children on the series.  Not trying to be "agist" just acknowledging a fact.

With Harry Anderson sadly gone, Markie Post would be the next big get to return.  

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2
(edited)

To this day I remember when Mac's wife Quon Li's large family  come over from Vietnam and her grandfather played by Key Luke announces something in Vietnamese and Quon Li translates they're threatening to kill themselves unless they stay with them and Mac dryly snarks "Those are butter knives. What are they going to do, spread themselves to death?" 

Thinking about it, Mac was one the best Vietnam veteran characters in TV. I like when his buddy played by Tackleberry from the Police Academy movies who saved Mac's life now wants a favor in return to get him out of jail. That episode also had Key Luke, this time playing a Japanese ambassador who dies and it's sort of a "Weekend at Bernie's" situation with his dead body in a motorized wheelchair going around the courthouse but nobody could find him!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Japanese ambassador who dies and it's sort of a "Weekend at Bernie's" situation with his dead body in a motorized wheelchair going around the courthouse but nobody could find him!

I love that episode. Dan has some great lines in there, like when the Japanese embassy wasn’t going to be able to pick him up for awhile, he was all, “Ew, what are they going to do, leave him here till he sprouts mushrooms?” And when the wheelchair was terrorizing the courthouse, he complained to Harry about “Night of the Rolling Dead.”

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I love that episode. Dan has some great lines in there, like when the Japanese embassy wasn’t going to be able to pick him up for awhile, he was all, “Ew, what are they going to do, leave him here till he sprouts mushrooms?” And when the wheelchair was terrorizing the courthouse, he complained to Harry about “Night of the Rolling Dead.”

Or when Mac's buddy(David Graf) is sitting in the cafeteria, is accidentally bumped by the dead Japanese guy while eating a hot dog and starts choking, Mac does the Heimlich maneuver and the piece of hot dog flies out and lands in Dan's coffee cup while he isn't looking. He takes a sip and says to the girl he's with in a Spanish accent "Ah, Colombian, the richest kind!" like the coffee commercial!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1