Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

And I was struck by the season 3 episode where Roseanne asked Darlene if she felt like she expected less from her than Becky...and Darlene explaining that Becky was book smart while Darlene was street smart.  That if both ended up in the woods that Darlene would find her way home, but poor Becky wouldn't.

Darlene (pre layoff) seemed to have carved a nice existence in Chicago with her 2 kids as a single mom..even logically going back home when her job ended.  She usually had a plan B if things went awry...while poor Becky didn't.

Becky never had Plan B, she was always: "Oh no, it's all over!" When Plan A didn't work out and even when Sarah Chalk took over, it seem Becky never even got to a Plan A it was: "So, what's today like? Oh it sucks, well I'm going to complain now!"

I have been watch lots of old shows lately Golden Girls and The Facts of Life.  I decided to start watching Roseanne again, I've always liked the show but Roseanne is suddenly bugging me. I'm watching the first episode and the scene with Darlene's teacher is annoying.  First they made the teacher an air head then Roseanne is so dismissive of the concerns the teacher was bringing up. 

Lol, maybe im not into this show anymore.  I'll probably keep recording because i love the Thanksgiving episodes 😆.

9 hours ago, Cozytea said:

I have been watch lots of old shows lately Golden Girls and The Facts of Life.  I decided to start watching Roseanne again, I've always liked the show but Roseanne is suddenly bugging me. I'm watching the first episode and the scene with Darlene's teacher is annoying.  First they made the teacher an air head then Roseanne is so dismissive of the concerns the teacher was bringing up. 

Lol, maybe im not into this show anymore.  I'll probably keep recording because i love the Thanksgiving episodes 😆.

A teacher shown as an idiot or doing something that would have gotten them kicked out of teaching years ago? Oh a sitcome? Never. 

• LOL 1
19 hours ago, Cozytea said:

Season one wasn't one of their best.  And Roseanne's acting was horrible.   There was a lot of staff turnover the first season so I think that contributed to it not being as good as it became in the next few seasons.  

• Love 2

I think they were trying to show that teachers are smart enough to graduate by reading books and learning theories, but life and children doesn't always follow books.

It's like that joke "I know everything about raising children. Then I had one."

• Love 1
On 12/11/2020 at 8:10 AM, ifionlyknew said:

Season one wasn't one of their best.  And Roseanne's acting was horrible.   There was a lot of staff turnover the first season so I think that contributed to it not being as good as it became in the next few seasons.  

Season one is a season I rarely revisit. There was just enough good about it to make it worth sticking with it to the next few seasons where it truly got good. Wellman as a backdrop didn't work for me, the hair place was a marginal step up, but Rodbell's was the high point of work scenes. 

Roseanne's acting also improved exponentially from season 1 to 2. She lost the chronic screech and became quite natural in the role. One of the standouts for me is the episode where Becky gets drunk, it's almost painful to watch, she plays the disappointed/angry/scared mother role so well in that one. 

And her chemistry with Laurie Metcalf was truly impressive, those two really sold the sister relationship. There are some shows that I can't watch anymore once I learn too much about the lead (like the Cosby show), but I'm able to separate the nut job actress from the character in this case.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Season one is a season I rarely revisit. There was just enough good about it to make it worth sticking with it to the next few seasons where it truly got good. Wellman as a backdrop didn't work for me, the hair place was a marginal step up, but Rodbell's was the high point of work scenes. 

Roseanne's acting also improved exponentially from season 1 to 2. She lost the chronic screech and became quite natural in the role. One of the standouts for me is the episode where Becky gets drunk, it's almost painful to watch, she plays the disappointed/angry/scared mother role so well in that one. 

And her chemistry with Laurie Metcalf was truly impressive, those two really sold the sister relationship. There are some shows that I can't watch anymore once I learn too much about the lead (like the Cosby show), but I'm able to separate the nut job actress from the character in this case.

Yeah I can't watch the Cosby show or Everybody Loves Raymond because of my dislike of Patricia Heaton. Also had to give up Two and a Half Men because of Charlie Sheen.  I did not watch the reboot of Roseanne a few years ago because of her offscreen antics. Once it was changed to the Conners without her I tuned in.

The mid seasons were the best IMO.  Once they decided on which supporting characters to keep things started to gel.  I thought they used characters like Nancy, Leon, Bev and even Arnie just the right way.  They weren't in every episode and when they were they were simply part of the story for that episode.  I did a rewatch during the start of the pandemic and I stopped after season 8. I just cannot watch season 9 it was so bad.

• Love 3
On 12/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, ljenkins782 said:

On 12/14/2020 at 12:24 PM, ifionlyknew said:

The mid seasons were the best IMO.  Once they decided on which supporting characters to keep things started to gel. 

Completely agree with both of you. I've been consistently watching the re-runs on TVLand for the past several years, and seasons 3-5 are IMO Roseanne at its best. The only season 1 eps I really enjoy are the tornado episode, and the one where the salesman dies in their kitchen. Cannot stand the season 2 beauty shop episodes, but I always wonder if that's partly because Roseanne's short bob haircut is so off-putting to me, lol. But I love most any episode from the Rodbell's years. 

I'm through episode 3.22.

When did the Conners let Becky go out with Mark?  In the episode "Becky Doesn't Live Here Anymore", at the end, Roseanne says that they wouldn't budge on Mark.

But a few episodes later, in "Her boyfriend's back", it appears that she can openly go out with Mark, but Roseanne just won't like him.

The first season is embryonic and Roseanne’s acting is a bit tough to watch during the early episodes. Season 2 is a great improvement, and seasons 3 and 4 are just gold. Lecy Goranson and Sara Gilbert really came into their own during those years. I always thought that Lecy was the stronger of the two actresses, despite what critics said. Working at Rodbell’s diner was also the best workplace setup for Roseanne (Leon and Bonnie were great recurring characters). I also loved Roseanne’s occasional rivalry with Kathy Bowman. Pretty much every episode was a winner during this period. If they could have kept up that quality, it would rank as one of the best sitcoms of all time.

But things started sliding downhill with Lecy’s departure at the beginning of season 5. Becky’s absence threw the family dynamics out of whack. There were still some funny episodes, but it was definitely a step down from the previous two seasons. Bev and Jackie became caricatures. The Becky who returned in season 6 was a completely different character. The writing staff changed too and not for the better. The showrunners changed constantly. Worst of all, the Roseanne Connor character changed. During the early seasons, though sarcastic, she had a warm side to her. Think about how she swallowed her pride in front of the hated Kathy Bowman so DJ would have a playmate. She was a person you’d like to hang out with. Later on, that warm side disappeared and she became overbearing and bullying. She also became dishonest, like when she was trying to take advantage of a clerical error to get a free stove for the restaurant (the earlier Roseanne wouldn’t have done that).

On 1/23/2021 at 12:10 AM, nuraman00 said:

I'm through episode 3.22.

When did the Conners let Becky go out with Mark?  In the episode "Becky Doesn't Live Here Anymore", at the end, Roseanne says that they wouldn't budge on Mark.

But a few episodes later, in "Her boyfriend's back", it appears that she can openly go out with Mark, but Roseanne just won't like him.

Bump, can someone help?

(Wish I didn't read the previous post, as it had a spoiler).

Edited by nuraman00
On 1/31/2021 at 4:59 PM, nuraman00 said:

Bump, can someone help?

(Wish I didn't read the previous post, as it had a spoiler).

I don't know what was said about it. In the episode before Her Boyfriend's Back, Dan and Roseanne were trying to go to Vegas and the girls had a party. Jackie was looking for Becky and she said she was outside hanging with Mark and asked Jackie not to tell them. Jackie tells her that her parents said it was okay if he was there as long as Jackie was around. "I was gonna tell ya, but I couldn't find you." I always figured Jackie was just messing with Becky about that. 

Lol anyway I guess they just let her see him because she was going to regardless. That way they would know about it, and she wouldn't have to sneak off with him and lie to them about it. In fact I was just thinking that Roseanne may have said something like that to Jackie. They would be able to know where she was going and who she was with, and that she's safe and what not. 

• Useful 1

I was pleasantly surprised Roseanne's 1st hubby wrote 2 season 1 episodes that I always liked.  The overtime episode and the death of a salesman episode.  

Season 1 had some fun episodes, but as my mom said once upon a time...it was more about the punch lines with some plot thrown in.

Season 2 started the process of making the comic zingers come from relatable stuff vs the standard sitcom plots.

• Love 1
On 2/2/2021 at 5:36 PM, Kyle said:

If you’re reading a discussion board about a 25 year old show, you’re going to read about things that happened throughout the course of the series.

Agree.

Some shows on this board though have their own board, instead of a single dedicated superthread.

It would have been easier if this show had its own board, so I could have created my own thread with some questions, and thus avoided some spoilers.

I'm midway in season 8 now.  I think I've avoided spoilers of some of the other surprises that have happened, during the previous few seasons, so I'm happy.

• Love 1

I finished season 9.

Some questions:

1)  When Roseanne and Dan got married, was Roseanne pregnant with Becky?

Did Dan and Roseanne get married, because Roseanne was pregnant?

2)  In the "Roseanne-feld" episode, why is this episode titled that?

I thought it was supposed to be a play on Seinfeld.

But after watching the episode, I don't see any joke, connection, or reference to Seinfeld.

3)  SPOILER ALERT

In Season 9, Sarah Chalke is back.  What happened with Lecy Goranson from season 8?

Lecy came back in season 8 because she thought it was the final season and she wanted to finish the series. But she didn’t have a great experience on the show that year, and she chose not to return when Roseanne decided to do another season. Sarah Chalke only appears in a handful of episodes in season 9.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Lecy came back in season 8 because she thought it was the final season and she wanted to finish the series. But she didn’t have a great experience on the show that year, and she chose not to return when Roseanne decided to do another season. Sarah Chalke only appears in a handful of episodes in season 9.

Thanks for the explanation!

I'm early in Season 10 (episode 2).

Why did they make Harris the age of entering high school?

Shouldn't she be about 21?

Everyone else seems to have aged appropriately.  (Darlene, Becky).

Also, I wouldn't have really recognized Becky or DJ.  They look and sound a lot different from Season 9.  (Even considering the fact that Becky is a different actress between season 9 and season 10).

Darlene looks and sounds very familiar.

I'm liking season 10 a lot.  Definitely more than Season 9.  Season 10 looks and feels just like 2010s version of the show should.

Edited by nuraman00
3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Why did she come back for season 10?

(Thanks again for your answers.  Every time I try searching the internet for something about the show, I run into a spoiler about the characters.)

So I’m guessing here, but money talks. Since the revival came nearly 20 years after the regular series ended, and Lecy never had that kind of steady acting work again, the gig may have seemed more attractive in 2018 than it did in 1996. It’s also possible that whatever factor was making the job less satisfying during season 8 no longer existed.

Crystal seemed to be phased out as Nancy’s role got bigger. Apparently thinking was that Roseanne Conner didn’t need quite so many peers (Jackie, Nancy, Crystal) to hang out with. I’ve gotten the impression that Roseanne Barr herself had something to do with that decision. For the record, I liked Crystal much better. There was a retrospective special a few years after the series ended, and they included scene with Crystal in the background where they blurred her face. So West didn’t give permission to use her image, and that’s a possible indication that her departure wasn’t amicable (it’s fairly unusual for an actor to deny permission to use their clips). But Crystal has reappeared in the revival, so I’m assuming that any issues were resolved.

I liked in season 4 when Roseanne would have girls nights out with her girlfriends...Bonnie, Crystal, Ann Marie, and Jackie.

I hated that the show cut out all of Dan and Roseanne's friends after season 5.  It made the show more isolated and limited.  

Jackie after season 6 was one note...and she spent too much time with the family.

• Love 5

Totally agreed. I loved season 3 and 4. The consistency of the writing and episodes was amazing. Sara Gilbert and Lecy Goranson really came into their own. And this was when Roseanne had the best work setup - the Rodbell’s diner, with Bonnie and Leon. Leon was a much better foil as her boss than as her business partner (in the later years, at the Lunch Box).

• Love 2
On 7/9/2020 at 4:50 PM, pinkandsparkly13 said:

So I've always loved the Halloween episodes, like many people.

I can still sing from memory, "Oh, I come from six feet under with a dead guy on my knee..."   But my favorite one is where Roseanne is dressed like a man.  The look on her face always makes me laugh when she realizes that Crystal doesn't recognize her and thinks she's really a man.  

I liked in season 4 when Roseanne would have girls nights out with her girlfriends...Bonnie, Crystal, Ann Marie, and Jackie.

The bingo episode is classic with a bewildered Dan saying,"Was it tequila night down at St. Benny's?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

The bingo episode is classic with a bewildered Dan saying,"Was it tequila night down at St. Benny's?"

Oh yeah. And Edie McClurg as the bingo-obsessed lady with all the OCD-inspired good luck charms.

• LOL 1
On 5/13/2021 at 12:01 AM, nuraman00 said:

1)  When Roseanne and Dan got married, was Roseanne pregnant with Becky?

Did Dan and Roseanne get married, because Roseanne was pregnant?

Dan and Roseanne were high school sweethearts who married soon after graduating. If I remember correctly, when Darlene and David got engaged, Roseanne made some joke about how Becky was 17 when she got married, she (Roseanne) was 18, and now finally a Conner woman was mature enough to wait until she was 19. There's never any suggestion that Roseanne was pregnant when she got married, and based on the characters' ages in the first season, I think she was in her early 20s when Becky was born.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:51 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I hated that the show cut out all of Dan and Roseanne's friends after season 5.  It made the show more isolated and limited. 

I totally agree. Crystal was the biggest loss for me and made the least sense, since she literally became part of the family after she married Dan's father. I don't know if she was pushed out or chose to step away from the show, but I really missed her (and Ann Marie and Bonnie).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I totally agree. Crystal was the biggest loss for me and made the least sense, since she literally became part of the family after she married Dan's father. I don't know if she was pushed out or chose to step away from the show, but I really missed her (and Ann Marie and Bonnie).

Then shoved Nancy in our faces and the show had some love of Richard Mull and decided to bring Leon back, you know, because. 

• Love 1
On 5/15/2021 at 9:51 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Jackie after season 6 was one note...and she spent too much time with the family.

Jackie hanging out with Nancy gave us one of the best scenes ever...Jackie coming to Roseanne's after going to a singles mixer with Nancy and trying to make a full breakfast without ever realizing that the power's been cut off at Roseanne's house.

Roseanne and Dan having friends they saw often was another touch of realism in the show that other shows didn't have, people stopping by or coming for a barbecue, it was nice.

• Love 2

I couldn’t stand the Nancy character especially when she was paired with Tom Arnold, whom I also couldn’t stand.  He was too fidgety. I don’t know if that was during the time he was doing drugs, an acting choice, or if he was just hyper, but it was distracting as hell.  I wish they wrote Nancy off when they got rid of Arnie.  Crystal, Bonnie, or Ann-Marie would have been a better choice to bring back as a partner/employee at the Lunchbox.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:51 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

Agree.  Those episodes with Bonnie, Crystal, Ann Marie were great.  It allows for a different dynamic, than the normal family stuff.

On 5/27/2021 at 12:57 AM, Cherpumple said:

Dan and Roseanne were high school sweethearts who married soon after graduating. If I remember correctly, when Darlene and David got engaged, Roseanne made some joke about how Becky was 17 when she got married, she (Roseanne) was 18, and now finally a Conner woman was mature enough to wait until she was 19. There's never any suggestion that Roseanne was pregnant when she got married, and based on the characters' ages in the first season, I think she was in her early 20s when Becky was born.

Thanks.  I wasn't quite sure about the timing of Dan and Roseanne.  I knew they married after graduating high school, but wasn't sure how long they were married before she was pregnant with Becky.

How old was Roseanne in the first season?

Yes, Crystal was so important and funny, and kept the show's balance, keeping it lighter.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:18 AM, Kyle said:

So I’m guessing here, but money talks. Since the revival came nearly 20 years after the regular series ended, and Lecy never had that kind of steady acting work again, the gig may have seemed more attractive in 2018 than it did in 1996. It’s also possible that whatever factor was making the job less satisfying during season 8 no longer existed.

Crystal seemed to be phased out as Nancy’s role got bigger. Apparently thinking was that Roseanne Conner didn’t need quite so many peers (Jackie, Nancy, Crystal) to hang out with. I’ve gotten the impression that Roseanne Barr herself had something to do with that decision. For the record, I liked Crystal much better. There was a retrospective special a few years after the series ended, and they included scene with Crystal in the background where they blurred her face. So West didn’t give permission to use her image, and that’s a possible indication that her departure wasn’t amicable (it’s fairly unusual for an actor to deny permission to use their clips). But Crystal has reappeared in the revival, so I’m assuming that any issues were resolved.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

Thanks.  I wasn't quite sure about the timing of Dan and Roseanne.  I knew they married after graduating high school, but wasn't sure how long they were married before she was pregnant with Becky.

How old was Roseanne in the first season?

She was 35/36. She turned 37 in the last episode of season two which was the birthday episode where Dan built her a little writing area in the basement.

(edited)
On 6/16/2021 at 4:51 PM, Irate Panda said:

I couldn’t stand the Nancy character especially when she was paired with Tom Arnold, whom I also couldn’t stand.  He was too fidgety. I don’t know if that was during the time he was doing drugs, an acting choice, or if he was just hyper, but it was distracting as hell.  I wish they wrote Nancy off when they got rid of Arnie.  Crystal, Bonnie, or Ann-Marie would have been a better choice to bring back as a partner/employee at the Lunchbox.

Tom's  fidgety movements were so distracting for me. I also remember Rosanne seemed to pick up a few fidgety mannerisms but thankfully that didn't stick.

I just watched the episode with the "tongue bandit" lol. Best line was by Rosanne,  - it is my business, when you start sneaking out of the house to meet a boy I'd consider leaving your father for.- I always laugh so hard. Dan's reaction, just priceless 😄.

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 2
(edited)

The season one finale, "Let's Call It Quits", was just on, and I generally cannot sit through the bulk of it because Faber is such a realistically horrible particular type of person and boss, but I love the mass quitting at the end ("I guess we're not gonna make our quota today, honey bunch"). 

Everyone has enough on the line to make that a huge decision, and we're supposed to be most focused on Roseanne and to a lesser extent Jackie and Crystal just based on the structure of the show, but I am always most drawn to Sylvia -- at her age, she is going to have the hardest time getting another job and most needs the benefits, and there'd have been no shame in her deciding to ride it out until retirement (especially at a union job). 

But she's not even the last to join Roseanne in walking out, and the way she takes a deep breath and steadies herself before walking over to the time clock is an incredibly powerful moment, despite it not being centered.

Now the season two premiere, "Inherit the Wind" is on, and I won't repeat myself, but this is one of the most perfectly written and performed scripts in the history of television -- every joke lands, because they're all not just funny but also sharp and realistic, and the characterization is spot on, with an honest treatment of things often ignored, like embarrassing farts.  The first season is good, but the second season is when this show starts being something historic, and this is a fantastic start.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
(edited)

I miss the days when TV shows could have an ok first season and still get renewed. Quite a few shows didn’t hit their strides until their second and third seasons.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 5

Unfortunately, John Goodman lost to Richard Mulligan (Empty Nest) in 1989, Ted Danson (Cheers) in 1990 and 1993, Burt Reynolds (Evening Shade) in 1992, Craig T. Nelson (Coach) in 1992, and then the beginning years of Kelsey Grammar's Emmy domination 1994, 1995 and so on.  But yeah. He was royally screwed. I still don't get it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Unfortunately, John Goodman lost to Richard Mulligan (Empty Nest) in 1989, Ted Danson (Cheers) in 1990 and 1993, Burt Reynolds (Evening Shade) in 1992, Craig T. Nelson (Coach) in 1992, and then the beginning years of Kelsey Grammar's Emmy domination 1994, 1995 and so on.  But yeah. He was royally screwed. I still don't get it. 

Really? Richard Mulligan on Empty Nest? He was fine and everything, but not a standout to me. I adore Craig T Nelson on Coach and Ted Danson was great on Cheers, so he was up against some good competition, but John Goodman definitely deserved some accolades for his performance. 

Roseanne also got shut out, mostly by Candice Bergen on Murphy Brown. Another character I loved, but I genuinely think Roseanne deserved some credit too. Especially since she wasn't a trained actress and she improved so much. Seasons 2-5 especially. Laurie Metcalf did get an Emmy and there was a great end tag of them chasing her and her Emmy all over the set, lol.

• Love 2

Richard Mulligan was a solid performer, but yeah it’s a head scratcher that he won an Emmy. Didn’t he pretty much play the same character all the time? But by the same token, it didn’t make sense that Burt Reynolds won it either (other than the fact that Emmy voters love a comeback story).

On 9/9/2022 at 5:13 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Roseanne also got shut out, mostly by Candice Bergen on Murphy Brown. Another character I loved, but I genuinely think Roseanne deserved some credit too. Especially since she wasn't a trained actress and she improved so much. Seasons 2-5 especially. Laurie Metcalf did get an Emmy and there was a great end tag of them chasing her and her Emmy all over the set, lol.

There was the line on the Gilligan episode where Laurie was doing her Whacky Jackie as Gilligan, and Roseanne (as Ginger) comments, "Here comes another Emmy." At that time, Metcalf had won the Emmy for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy several times (three?), and Roseanne and John Goodman were continually being passed over. Wasn't there also a scene of Roseanne and Jackie on the couch and Roseanne commenting, "It's not like I'm going to win an Emmy or nothin'..." They always seemed to harp on Roseanne not getting one, but never any off hand sarcasm on John Goodman's yearly snub.

Roseanne did win an Emmy for Season 5, as she submitted the episode where her dad dies (Metcalf also won for this ep). Best Actress in a Comedy usually went to actresses who would do a more dramatic episode, but that rarely was the case for men.

I never understood how stupid the Conners were about money.  In season 8.17 "We're going to Disney", they take everyone and their friend to Disney World instead of saving and investing the big paycheck from the garage.  In fact, if Dan stayed at the city garage he would have been pensioned off at this point and not have to rely on a job somewhere else in his retirement age.

Yeah, it annoyed me too. But I think a lot of people are stupid about money, choosing short term pleasure over long term security. I know several people who leave above their means - it’s always about having the latest gadgets or the nicest car, as opposed to thinking about retirement and future financial security.