Type keyword(s) to search

Rizzoli & Isles - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

I recently watch season one finale of Rizzoli and Isles. Except for the part with their parents its a really good episode. The criminals were bold, the rest trying to hide from them, the poor witness, Frankie getting shot. I forgot how in tense it was. Maura having to cut a hole to and stuck the tube in him and pointing out that they still needed to get him to the hospital and the dirty cop. Jane making the decision to shoot herself with his gun knowing the bullet would go through her to him.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Jaded said:

I still miss this show and Major Crimes. 😞

In my market, they air in syndication on Saturday nights - two episodes of Major Crimes followed by an episode of Rizzoli & Isles.  It always reminds me of how much I used to like TNT's programming and how completely uninterested in it I am now.

• Love 4
On 6/24/2019 at 1:42 PM, Bastet said:

In my market, they air in syndication on Saturday nights - two episodes of Major Crimes followed by an episode of Rizzoli & Isles.  It always reminds me of how much I used to like TNT's programming and how completely uninterested in it I am now.

Same here. TNT used to have so many great shows and re-ran so many of those great shows. Then they dropped it all. 

Was there any reason why they brought Sister Winifred Callahan on the show? She was only there for two episodes in the precinct and all she did was complain and be crabby to everyone. Especially Jane and Frankie. Then suddenly she's gone.

On 8/31/2019 at 6:46 AM, andromeda331 said:

Was there any reason why they brought Sister Winifred Callahan on the show? She was only there for two episodes in the precinct and all she did was complain and be crabby to everyone. Especially Jane and Frankie. Then suddenly she's gone.

I have no idea what her purpose was but I was glad she didn't stick around.  She added nothing.  It's like the character of Riley Cooper. She was there for 2 episodes then gone.  It's like the only purpose she served was to make sure Frankie didn't get a permanent spot in Homicide. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

I have no idea what her purpose was but I was glad she didn't stick around.  She added nothing.  It's like the character of Riley Cooper. She was there for 2 episodes then gone.  It's like the only purpose she served was to make sure Frankie didn't get a permanent spot in Homicide. 

I'm glad she didn't either. I didn't like her. It was weird that they added her just for a couple episodes and then she gone. She didn't add nothing and wasn't really there for any real purpose except to be pain to everyone. Even more weird with Riley they seem to spend so much time on her. She was Jane's neighbor, Frankie and Frost both were interested in her and then it turned out she was a cop the whole time. It seemed like they were adding her to the team. Or least for awhile as a love interest for Frankie or Frost but nope. Suddenly she was gone too. 

The actor who played the FBI agent (Billy Burke) that helped Jane on a few cases, is also the actor who played Phillip Stroh on the Closer, and Major Crimes.    I keep waiting for him to turn out to be a serial killer on this one too.   I really enjoyed the first few seasons, in spite of knowing about the actor who played Frost.    But the last few seasons just didn't interest me.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't know when this is normally on (probably mornings, as I've never come across it before), but there's a block of episodes on Lifetime right now, and I'm reminded just how unbearable Ma Rizzoli is.  The show presents Angela's behavior as both funny and valid, and never acknowledges how wildly inappropriate she frequently is.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't know when this is normally on (probably mornings, as I've never come across it before), but there's a block of episodes on Lifetime right now, and I'm reminded just how unbearable Ma Rizzoli is.  The show presents Angela's behavior as both funny and valid, and never acknowledges how wildly inappropriate she frequently is.

Agreed. I hate Angela. I DVR the episodes so I can fast forward past Angela's scenes. 

Rizzoli and Isles airs Monday-Thursdays three episodes each until last week when Tuesday suddenly went to a bunch of episodes all day long. So far showing it continued the next two Tuesdays.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

They're showing '...Goodbye" right now and I'm crying all over again at the loss of Lee Thompson Young. Such a promising light that dimmed too soon. 😢

Same here. Its such a hard episode to watch. Very well done but so sad. He was such a good actor. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Jesus fuck, I had it in my head - having not watched from the beginning in real time, instead catching up in syndication and joining in progress several seasons in and thus probably never filling in all the gaps - that Angela got worse, more cartoonish, as time went on.  But, no.  She's horrible from jump, yet the show asks us to accept her as endearing.

I was just going around the dial and came across the beginning of season two, in which Jane graciously invited Angela to stay with her until the house sells (why Angela does not just stay there until it does is not logically explained) -- and quickly comes home to find Angela has splattered paint samples above her mantle. 

It's shit the ex, who never threw anything out, left in the basement, so Angela decides Jane should pick one of the four colors as her new paint color (at best, let's say she's proposing an accent wall).  Jane points out this is her home, she's happy with it as is, and Angela throws a full-on fit and storms out.

AND JANE KEEPS GETTING TOLD HER MOM MEANS WELL when she relates this creepy-ass incident to her friends/co-workers.  So she feels guilty and apologizes.  The hell?!  This is what carries on throughout the series.  It's gross.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Jesus fuck, I had it in my head - having not watched from the beginning in real time, instead catching up in syndication and joining in progress several seasons in and thus probably never filling in all the gaps - that Angela got worse, more cartoonish, as time went on.  But, no.  She's horrible from jump, yet the show asks us to accept her as endearing.

I was just going around the dial and came across the beginning of season two, in which Jane graciously invited Angela to stay with her until the house sells (why Angela does not just stay there until it does is not logically explained) -- and quickly comes home to find Angela has splattered paint samples above her mantle. 

It's shit the ex, who never threw anything out, left in the basement, so Angela decides Jane should pick one of the four colors as her new paint color (at best, let's say she's proposing an accent wall).  Jane points out this is her home, she's happy with it as is, and Angela throws a full-on fit and storms out.

AND JANE KEEPS GETTING TOLD HER MOM MEANS WELL when she relates this creepy-ass incident to her friends/co-workers.  So she feels guilty and apologizes.  The hell?!  This is what carries on throughout the series.  It's gross.

It really is. Angela just keeps getting worse and doing crappy things. But she never gets called on any of it. Deciding to paint Jane's apartment? Then getting mad. It was Jane's apartment not Angela's and she didn't even ask Jane. She just went a head and decided and painted four different colors of Angela's choosing on the wall for Jane to decide. Even when Jane decides its wrong everyone else tells her she's not. What? Its messed up. Angela just starts off bad. She hates Jane being a cop and blames her for Frankie becoming up. In the third episode she ambushes Jane with a date with Lt. Joey Grant who Jane hates for legit reasons. He was a jerk in all three episodes we see him. He cut Jane out of arresting the guy they thought was the Boston Strangler after refusing to let Jane investigate that it was him and then did the work to find the guy who it could have been. And he's also her boss which makes it inappropriate. Not that Angela cares. Towards the end of the series Maura makes a comment about how far Jane's come with her mother after a fight she doesn't go off on her mother but just tells her she loves her. But Angela never makes any progress. She never gets any better only worse. To the point you wonder why Jane doesn't throw her out of her life for good. She should have done that after hiding the cleared for duty letter and/or telling everyone about Jane's pregnancy despite Jane telling her not too. I could go on forever how much I hate Angela. She's not cute, she's not enduring. She's a crappy person.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 8/19/2020 at 10:20 PM, andromeda331 said:

I love Korsak's love of animals. I wonder how many pets he had. 

I'm just now doing a series rewatch.  The TV cop names of the dogs are so cute! 

I've got a big ol' Korsak crush this time around.  If there are middle aged men like him out IRL, I'd sure like to find one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 9/22/2020 at 11:34 PM, zillabreeze said:

I've got a big ol' Korsak crush this time around.  If there are middle aged men like him out IRL, I'd sure like to find one.

Me too.

• Love 1

Ew, seriously -- this show featured a cameo by Bill O'Reilly (in season two)?  Of course Angela is a fan; like I needed an additional reason to hate her.

Also, Charles Hoyt is an even more annoying recurring super-villain than Philip Stroh on The Closer/Major Crimes* and that's saying something!  I was paying marginal attention to an episode in which he's back and dying, and suddenly there was a scene where he had Jane and Maura as hostages and I figured it was a nightmare of Jane's because it was such a ridiculous scenario.  But no.

*I mention this not just because I've watched so few cop shows for comparison, but because these were "sister shows" on TNT under the original network execs, back when things were all positive.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I'm finding Hoyt really annoying upon this rewatch, I'm glad his story was wrapped up relatively quickly. Though the episode which saw his end was totally ridiculous, with Jane being forced into a life-or-death battle with him, followed by her going to a silly birthday party. She probably should have been in the hospital under observation after an ordeal like that, but everyone basically treated it like it was no big thing, including her. So she's literally fighting for her life and kills her adversary with her bare hands, then 10 minutes later is yukking it up at a silly party. Ooook...

While Hoyt is irritating, I love the whole Paddy Doyle angle. He's a great character. Any episode gets better if Paddy shows up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have been REALLY bored so I decided to watch Rizzoli & Isles on Hulu and I remembered why I both liked and hated the show.  All the cast had chemistry.  Some of the episodes were actually pretty good.   Loved Maura and her increasingly complicated family.   I wish the show had made her more morally dubious at times.   I really loved the episode where she landed in jail for murder.  That would have been a great two parter.   Having Maura actually deal with being a mobster’s kid in more then just a theoretical sense.  

What I hated though was the show’s desperation to pair Maura with almost every Rizzoli except Jane.   Heck I am surprised they didn’t have dad say  he was secretly in love with her.  

I know I know.  Never was gonna happen.  But damn it.   And I know the whole “can’t women just be friends” side of it.....but when the two main characters have zero chemistry with like 90% of the men they date and they come off like they can’t live without each other....Come on.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 9/29/2020 at 11:46 PM, Bastet said:

Ew, seriously -- this show featured a cameo by Bill O'Reilly (in season two)?  Of course Angela is a fan; like I needed an additional reason to hate her.

Also, Charles Hoyt is an even more annoying recurring super-villain than Philip Stroh on The Closer/Major Crimes* and that's saying something!  I was paying marginal attention to an episode in which he's back and dying, and suddenly there was a scene where he had Jane and Maura as hostages and I figured it was a nightmare of Jane's because it was such a ridiculous scenario.  But no.

*I mention this not just because I've watched so few cop shows for comparison, but because these were "sister shows" on TNT under the original network execs, back when things were all positive.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:47 AM, DXD526 said:

I'm finding Hoyt really annoying upon this rewatch, I'm glad his story was wrapped up relatively quickly. Though the episode which saw his end was totally ridiculous, with Jane being forced into a life-or-death battle with him, followed by her going to a silly birthday party. She probably should have been in the hospital under observation after an ordeal like that, but everyone basically treated it like it was no big thing, including her. So she's literally fighting for her life and kills her adversary with her bare hands, then 10 minutes later is yukking it up at a silly party. Ooook...

While Hoyt is irritating, I love the whole Paddy Doyle angle. He's a great character. Any episode gets better if Paddy shows up.

Same here. I always end up skipping that episode. Hoyt's annoying and I just don't care and I hate that Angela's planning a surprise party for Jane who doesn't want one. Because of course she is. Angela wouldn't be Angela if she didn't do what she wanted and not what Jane wanted.

I liked Paddy too. He was a really great character. He's really interesting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm glad others are re-watching and commenting.  I've been catching the occasional episode when I'm home from work, and although I know I saw every episode, I've really forgotten a lot of the plotlines for some of them.  I'm hoping TNT keeps showing them for a while so I can catch them from the first episode and record them to do a little binge watching.

• Useful 1

Lifetime continues to tinker with its R&I schedule, but it will be doing the marathon Mondays and Tuesdays, running the show for 17 hours, from 11 a.m.- 4 a.m., for at least the next three weeks. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 9/22/2020 at 10:34 PM, zillabreeze said:

I must have missed that. What does he call them?

• Love 1

I've been watching/recording the Lifetime marathons. I can't believe the show only ended 4 years ago. It seems so much longer. At any rate, I loved the show when it was on and watched every week. Now, I remember all the main and secondary characters (and some of the tertiary ones, too) and their relationships with each other, but for the life of me I do not remember a single case from any of the episodes! Not a one. Hey, new show! I think perhaps it was more about the relationships than the cases, at least for me. Still, so strange.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I think perhaps it was more about the relationships than the cases, at least for me.

I watched this show in spite of itself - I dislike 99% of cop shows, I found the plots pretty thin, and the acting was fine but not noteworthy - and that's because of the relationships, primarily Jane and Maura's.  So I don't really remember cases, either.

• Love 4

I'm enjoying watching the marathons too. Good point on remembering the cases...I really don't either, but enjoyed the relationships between characters.

A question...Dish just recently added Starttv to my tier. I am enjoying Crossing Jordan but I can't find a forum for it anywhere.Can anyone help? TIA

• Love 2

Unfortunately, this is the last week for the marathons, and everything else. Starting this Friday, 10/23, Lifetime is going all-Christmas-all-the-time. There are R&I marathons on Monday and Tuesday, three episodes each on Wednesday and Thursday, then nothing but Christmas until next year.

1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

Unfortunately, this is the last week for the marathons, and everything else. Starting this Friday, 10/23, Lifetime is going all-Christmas-all-the-time. There are R&I marathons on Monday and Tuesday, three episodes each on Wednesday and Thursday, then nothing but Christmas until next year.

Oh, that stinks. I really love the setup they have now. Three episodes of the Closer followed by Rizzoli and Isles. Its a good combination.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Oh, that stinks. I really love the setup they have now. Three episodes of the Closer followed by Rizzoli and Isles. Its a good combination.

I'd like to see them bring on Judging Amy. You can watch Crossing Jordan on Start but it would be a good fit here too.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'd like to see them bring on Judging Amy. You can watch Crossing Jordan on Start but it would be a good fit here too.

Both of those would be great to add to Lifetime. How great would that be to watch all four shows one after the other?

• Love 2

Now I'm even more annoyed by the stupid-ass Christmas movies taking over (for "the season", per the commercials - which, seriously, whatever fiction one wishes to create that turns a one-day holiday near the end of December into a season, it doesn't start back in OCTOBER), since the nighttime episodes of the Mon/Tues marathons are back to season one.

After football last night, I watched a couple of the final episodes of the series, and remembered how awful they were.  Tonight, I've watched a few early season one episodes, and would like continuing to do so next week and beyond, as they're better and I haven't seen them in a long time.  Thanks a lot, Lifetime.

I looked up an episode guide to see how close to the pilot I came in (it turned out to be episode five), so wound up reading descriptions of earlier episodes.  It's interesting that the show started off with a serial killer storyline.  One of the gazillion things I hate about most cop shows (and this is actually fairly far down the list, but it's there) is the gods-awful serial killer they almost all resort to, spreading out over episodes (or even seasons) about some diabolical yet brilliant villain they know is guilty but can't catch/make a case against.  So I judge shows by how quickly they go to that well.  For this one to start off that way makes me glad I didn't originally start watching it until several seasons in.

Also, someone upthread mentioned how it's impossible to see Billy Burke's FBI agent character without seeing Phillip Stroh if one also watched The Closer/Major Crimes (he was that franchise's annoying-ass serial killer), and I agree.  He's freaking me out.

• Love 1

Beginning on Jan. 4, StartTV is adding R&I to its schedule. It will run twice a day, at 5 and 10 p.m. ET. Also, now that Christmas is over, Lifetime will resume its regular weekday schedule tomorrow, which includes R&I Monday-Thursday, with those all-day all-night 15-hour marathons on Mondays and Tuesdays. 

Happy new year, Rizzles fans!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

Beginning on Jan. 4, StartTV is adding R&I to its schedule. It will run twice a day, at 5 and 10 p.m. ET. Also, now that Christmas is over, Lifetime will resume its regular weekday schedule tomorrow, which includes R&I Monday-Thursday, with those all-day all-night 15-hour marathons on Mondays and Tuesdays. 

Happy new year, Rizzles fans!

Yay!

• Love 1

Other than a trip to Lowe's to buy a dryer (to be delivered next week, yay!), I didn't do much of anything today except lounge around and watch episodes of Rizzoli & Isles, starting with the first episode (with a chore here and there).  It was nice, because I would let my DVR -- which automatically records as long as I don't change the channel -- get ahead of me while I did a few chores, so I could act the couch potato and watch while FF-ing through the commercials. I might do the same thing tomorrow! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

Other than a trip to Lowe's to buy a dryer (to be delivered next week, yay!), I didn't do much of anything today except lounge around and watch episodes of Rizzoli & Isles, starting with the first episode (with a chore here and there).  It was nice, because I would let my DVR -- which automatically records as long as I don't change the channel -- get ahead of me while I did a few chores, so I could act the couch potato and watch while FF-ing through the commercials. I might do the same thing tomorrow! 

Damn right! I did the same. Took a break to make meatballs for tonight's subs but that was about it.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Lifetime is altering its R&I schedule a bit. On Mondays and Tuesdays in January, it will run from 3 p.m.-4 a.m. ET; from 3-7 p.m. on Wednesdays, and 3-8 on Thursdays. 

StartTV starts running the show on 1/4, beginning with S1E1 at 5 p.m. ET, and with S4E1 at 10 p.m.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I wish they hadn't made Dennis Rockmond a psycho killer. He had great chemistry with Maura. It would have been nice to see him as boyfriend for her for awhile. 

I also really hate how they bring in characters that seem like their going to be around for awhile like the nun or new detective Riley Cooper only for them to disappear without a word. Do something with them or don't bring them on. I kind of wish the detective had hung around for awhile. They went to the work of having her date Frost and Frankie and named new detective over Frankie who's hostile to her for an episode along with Frost. Then she just disappears. There's no point.

Going around the dial, I came upon an episode of this show and recognized one of the guest stars.  So I stayed on it until I could figure out where I knew her from (an episode of Major Crimes, but it took me a bit because she was blonde in that and brunette in this), and was about to carry on channel surfing when the scene shifted to Frost's funeral. 

Ouch.  I cried just as much this time around.  Those behind the scenes photos they used for Jane's eulogy, so perfectly combining Barry Frost and Lee Thompson Young, got me, and then Jane breaking down at the end when she comes home to find the postcard finished me off. 

Kudos to Ernie Hudson turning up for a non-speaking appearance.  I understand the logistics, but it drives me nuts when TV funerals are missing key characters because it wasn't practical to schedule/pay a bunch of actors to sit in pews for a day as glorified extras.

In looking up articles about Young's death (because, since Frost's death occurs at the beginning of a season, I wanted to remind myself how much time the writers and actors had between losing Young and losing Frost), I found this recent article, about the foundation his mother and sister founded in his name, focused on erasing the stigma associated with mental illness. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Going around the dial, I came upon an episode of this show and recognized one of the guest stars.  So I stayed on it until I could figure out where I knew her from (an episode of Major Crimes, but it took me a bit because she was blonde in that and brunette in this), and was about to carry on channel surfing when the scene shifted to Frost's funeral. 

Ouch.  I cried just as much this time around.  Those behind the scenes photos they used for Jane's eulogy, so perfectly combining Barry Frost and Lee Thompson Young, got me, and then Jane breaking down at the end when she comes home to find the postcard finished me off. 

Kudos to Ernie Hudson turning up for a non-speaking appearance.  I understand the logistics, but it drives me nuts when TV funerals are missing key characters because it wasn't practical to schedule/pay a bunch of actors to sit in pews for a day as glorified extras.

In looking up articles about Young's death (because, since Frost's death occurs at the beginning of a season, I wanted to remind myself how much time the writers and actors had between losing Young and losing Frost), I found this recent article, about the foundation his mother and sister founded in his name, focused on erasing the stigma associated with mental illness. 

I didn't know his family did that. That's great.

• Love 2

I just watched the episodes where Jane shoots Paddy and recently, the early episode with Maura’s super rich ex who Jane thinks she’s choosing over her. I’d forgotten how lousy Jane is in those eps. In the one with Paddy, Maura freaks out at Jane when it happens (her mother is also in the hospital after a hit and run). As soon as she sees her again? She starts apologizing. Jane responds with attitude and all the reasons she was right. Next time they see each other is in Maura’s kitchen. Maura walks in and points out that Jane shouldn’t be there given that they have been ordered not to speak. Jane responds by making Angela choose between her and Maura. It’s bitchy and completely unnecessary. In the ep with Maura’s ex, Jane makes her prove her loyalty before she lets it go. 

I know those eps are not representative of their entire friendship but damn Jane is awful. And all the time, she’s stressing about whether their friendship will survive. 

There’s another ep I just saw too (these marathons are awesome) where Maura has an ex from Africa who shows up. She’s secretive and Jane and Angela just will not let it go. Eventually Angela goes through the man’s stuff and passes what she finds on to Jane, who contacts Interpol. Maura is shocked when she finds out but doesn’t get to be angry. She doesn’t even find out what Angela did. Normally Jane and Maura’s relationship is cute and fun, but it’s amazing how one sided it gets as soon as any stressors enter the picture. That’s not even touching the awful moments between Maura and Angela. 

• Love 1