Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
17wheatthins

NOS4A2

So far this looks good. Hopefully will see a full trailer soon.  

Zachary Quinto is better when he plays evil characters.  He talked about the makeup and the few pics I saw were nice. 

The book was a good read. 

• Like 2

And for those who don't want to read the whole linked article: The entire first season of the new series will also be available in its entirety on that same Sunday, June 2, for subscribers to AMC Premiere.

Sadly I do not have AMC Premiere. So I will have to wait week to week. 

I see stuff already cut or changed from the book but that happens. 

• Like 1

Quinto’s old man makeup was sooo bad...  no?

Edited by sisterspoon · Reason: Blank...
  • Like 2

I'm gonna have to give this a re-watch and a few more episodes before I decide whether I like this or not. I was distracted on my computer and missed some stuff and now I'm totally confused as to what I just watched lol. I usually enjoy weird stuff. Preacher, Legion, Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency so I'll stick around for a bit.

• Like 2

I know this isn't important, and I know if I were really curious I could look it up, but . . . doesn't the main character (the daughter) seem to be about the same age as the mother?

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Pilots can be tough because they have to set up many characters. I will give this a couple of more episodes. Poor Kid being a Vampire forever at that age. Did Charlie Manx not read or see Intrerview With The Vampire? 

15 hours ago, sisterspoon said:

Quinto’s old man makeup was sooo bad...  no?

I thought it looked pretty good. I liked when he was starting to look younger then he finally did look young again. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SamBeckett said:

know this isn't important, and I know if I were really curious I could look it up, but . . . doesn't the main character (the daughter) seem to be about the same age as the mother?

I know! When the daughter and her friend were first shown, I thought it was 2 wealthy housewives, until they started talking about looking at colleges. 

I'm not familiar with Joe Hill's stuff, but based on this, he's basically a Stephen King clone (yes, I know he's King's son). It's all there- the depressed and depressing New England mill town, the lower economic-class characters contrasted with the evil hypocritical rich people, the drunk father/husband, the perversion of childhood innocence, the psychic process that saps the savant's health, the minority character who's there to help the heroine, etc. 

Also, spend your money on art supplies, not on student debt/art school, girlie. 

The fact that I wasn't at all scared by any of this doesn't bode well. 

Edited by sempervivum
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

I was hoping for a new good vampire show since they canceled The Passage. Sadly, I don't think this is it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I watched a portion of it.  I'm sort of confused. I'll have to start over and think I"ll likely give it a couple of episodes to see if I will get into it. 

• Like 1

I grew up with a 1938 Rolls-Royce Phantom III, which my very talented father restored, much like the fellow in the novel (ours wasn't possessed, lol.) I never once considered the fact these classic cars were named Wraith and Phantom, until began reading the book. Weird!

I am halfway through the book. It's gotten kind of slow, so I might have to speed read to the end.

Similarly, the show is starting slow.... Of course I'll keep watching. I'm all about Stephen King stuff, and I have invested time in the novel.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how I feel about Bing knowing Vic... or do I not remember that part of the book correctly... 

Spoiler

I'm curious where it takes the narrative in later years, when Bing is tasked with killing Vic.

8 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Also, spend your money on art supplies, not on student debt/art school, girlie. 

AMEN (says the art-school dropout who paid for that nonsense until she was 27)!

Also, as as a Stephen King fan, I love that you can see strong SK influences in Joe Hill's work. 

That said, I was OK with this but a bit confused, even having read the book; I wonder if it might actually be clearer to people who haven't read it? I feel like I am not recalling enough about the book to form a valid opinion (which is weird for me). But I dig Joe Hill's work a lot--Horns is my favorite.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1

I admit to be pretty confused by this so far, but I can really feel the Steven King influences, just outside of Maine. It has that same creepy feeling to its thats hard to put your finger on. 

Christmasland is already super creepy, and we have never even been there. I dont know how the car is connected to vampire guy, but it IS a pretty cool car.

• Like 2

This started out interesting but it quickly lost my attention as it slid into a tedious teen story, and not a terribly compelling one either. I swear the "kid from the wrong side of the tracks" whose best friend is rich is as old a trope as I can think of, and we had to listen to her parents have the same fight over and over again. I just don't know if I'm on board for more of this. The parts with Zachary Quinto and "Christmasland" were certainly intriguing and I'm interested to know what's going on there. But everything about these damn teens is going to bore me to tears. 

• Like 5

I really wanted to like this, but I gave Ep1 three tries and  fell asleep every time.

I read the book  when it came out but don't remember much.  This TV version has a  meandering script, weak characters and poor direction.

Very disappointed so far.

• Like 1

I watched the second episode, and I don't know if I can keep going.  The family drama is extremely tedious.

I'll probably just have to watch clips of all the supernatural stuff when the season ends.

• Like 2

I am not done with it yet. Will watch the next epi next Sunday. It's not one of the best shows but it's not awful...yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peridot said:

I watched the second episode, and I don't know if I can keep going.  The family drama is extremely tedious.

I'll probably just have to watch clips of all the supernatural stuff when the season ends.

From what I can remember from the book, the family drama will be present throughout the series.  Vic is the protagonist and we will be spending most of the time with her as the story progresses.  The supernatural stuff will be secondary to Vic's story.  The book is similar to The Shining where the story is a family breaking down over a winter spent isolated in a haunted hotel.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I do not care about Vic's family at all. Shame because that is the only negative I have.  All of the Supernatural stuff I enjoy. I may just have to FF her parents.  

Liked the winking moon and evil snowmen. 

This was better then the 1st episode so I'll keep going. 

• Like 1

Come for the pink eye, stay for the penis drawings!

I do like that effect of her sticking her arm in the scrabble bag. I don't like that she is an orphan with no where to live, but has thousands of dollars worth of tattoos all over her body.

I think Vic's mother looks too young to be Vic's mother. They almost seem to be the same age.

I have no clue what this has to do with vampires. Maybe it doesn't, and I was just assuming from the name?

Maybe after dispatching this "Christmas Clown", the two girls could do some fun stuff with their special powers. I would watch that show.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

33 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I think Vic's mother looks too young to be Vic's mother. They almost seem to be the same age.

According to IMDB Virginia Kull (Linda) is 37 years old which seems to be the right age for the character. The problem is that Ashleigh Cummings (Vic) is 26 and looks her age when her character is supposed to be 18.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Come for the pink eye, stay for the penis drawings!

I do like that effect of her sticking her arm in the scrabble bag. I don't like that she is an orphan with no where to live, but has thousands of dollars worth of tattoos all over her body.

I have no clue what this has to do with vampires. Maybe it doesn't, and I was just assuming from the name?

Maybe after dispatching this "Christmas Clown", the two girls could do some fun stuff with their special powers. I would watch that show.

Charlie Manx (the evil guy) is a different type of vampire that feeds on people differently than a normal vampire (he feeds off the souls of kids). The NOS4A2 license plate is a call back to the classic silent vampire film Nosferatu about vampire Count Orlok.

• Like 1

I might've ponied up the coin for AMC Premiere to binge watch this series but, after slogging through these first two episodes, I couldn't imagine binge watching this series because I would wind up binge napping instead.

6 hours ago, paulvdb said:

According to IMDB Virginia Kull (Linda) is 37 years old which seems to be the right age for the character. The problem is that Ashleigh Cummings (Vic) is 26 and looks her age when her character is supposed to be 18. 

UGH. Yeah, I wasn't buying Vic was an 18-year old AT ALL. She's like the NOS4A2 version of 90210's Andrea.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 4

There are a lot of aspects of this show that I like, but the teens and the parts that have nothing to do with the supernatural stuff is just such a slough to get through. I want to get through this, because I keep waiting for it to be the show I want it to be, but its just not happening. 

Not helped that Vic looks like she should be finishing grad school, not high school.

• Like 2

I agree the second episode was better than the first, but that's a pretty low bar to get over. I think I could tolerate the teens if it weren't for the tedious parental fighting. It adds nothing to the story and feels unnecessary and intrusive. 

What did Maggie say Vic was? A "creative?" I think if my eyeball started to bleed every time I took a trip through time and space I would stop doing it. Not worth going blind over. 

I don't get what's going on with all the kids under the ice. Are those other kids that Charlie Manx drained the souls out of? Because the kid he took in the first episode aged and looked like a vampire by the end, but none of the kids under the ice looked like that.

So did Bing Partridge's father kill his mother on Christmas by putting a nail in her head? And Bing still lives in the basement? That's pretty sad. I really like the actor (I'm not going to try to spell his name, let alone pronounce it). He played Maria's boyfriend Scott in Lady Dynamite. 

• Like 1

I'll give it another few episodes.  Agree the family drama needs to decrease.  Don't care about drunk New England denizens with ear killing accents.

Does Stephen King know his son ripped off one of his short stories for The Shorter Way?

• Laugh 2

59 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Does Stephen King know his son ripped off one of his short stories for The Shorter Way?

The map shown in episode 1 with the inscapes of New England has many Joe Hill and Stephen King reference--

image.thumb.png.f039f3a91c690f38defdebbbf3d234e6.png

I'm confused... I thought this show was supposed to be scary and supernatural.  All I've seen so far is teenage angst and really bad acting.  After two episodes, not sure I can watch this stuff anymore.  Very disappointing.

• Like 3

Don't care about drunk New England denizens with ear killing accents.

Oh, Gahd. Virginia's Boston accent. "Get in the caah, get in the caah, get in the caah!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Wow.  I am really surprised no one likes this.  While it took me a bit to get through this and this isn’t really a binge show I found the first two episodes really fascinating.  Yes of course the actress who plays Vic isn’t 18 but that might be because she is essentially the lead and they want someone they do t feel swicky putting in dangerous (and sexy) situations.  

I thought this was essentially about the lack of parents.   Manx kidnaps children and feeds of their potential but also ranted to Bing  about saving them from bad parents who sounds like he had bad parents.   Vic’s parents look like they are the type that got married right out of highschool because they got knocked up with her and resented the fact ever since.  Her father wanted to escape and her mother turned the home into a prison for both Vic and her father.

The other girl who sticks her hand into the bag is an orphan so she has no parents. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Wow.  I am really surprised no one likes this.

I've been thinking the opposite. I don't particularly like it because it's not what I expected. The title suggests it's about vampires and although it does seem to be about a life-sucking creature, he's not the usual vampire and he's after children who are not the usual prey of vampires.

And then there's the family drama, which is not that bad if you want to watch a show about family drama, but I don't.

Now that I know this is from the son of Stephen King, I can see the kind of story it's going to be, but I'm not sure if I really care to take that journey.

• Like 1

I've been thinking the opposite. I don't particularly like it because it's not what I expected. The title suggests it's about vampires and although it does seem to be about a life-sucking creature, he's not the usual vampire and he's after children who are not the usual prey of vampires.

It's not just that. It's that the story itself isn't really about the vampire, it's about Vic. She's the main protagonist. We're two episodes in and we already know all about her. More than I care to, frankly. It's about her journey, her problems, her self-discovery, her supernatural abilities, etc. The vampire is just a subplot for her to solve. I get the impression they could wrap it up and do another season with another protagonist for Vic to bring to justice.

It feels like a bait-and-switch. The title should be "The Creative," or "Vic" or whatever.

• Like 3

In regards to the actress playing Vic.  Not sure this qualifies as "book talk" but to be on the safe side:

Spoiler

I think the reason that the actress is so much older than 17 is because Vic ages through the book into an adult (maybe in her mid to late 30's by the end?), so they needed to start out with someone in the happy medium range to play both older and younger Vic.

Edited by Sile · Reason: Clarifying the subject of the spoiler
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

From what I gather this is a weekly show in the US and only a few episodes have aired? The whole season is on german Prime. So, I'm not going to spoil anything outside of the spoiler area at the bottom. Just saying that this wasn't very good. The pace never picks up, if anything it gets slower. You probably could have told this whole season in three episodes. Can not recommend.

Spoiler

Well I'm highly annoyed by the cliffhanger ending. It sounds like the book spans a big timeframe and multiple adversities for Vic, but the showrunners don't seem to want to let go of Quinto. His character wasn't even interesting enough to be the villian for one season, let alone two.

There is surprisingly little even worth talking about outside of this.

I for one certainly won't be back for season two.

Edited by Miles
  • Useful 1

Episode 3 is a little early for filler, and Miles already answered the question I came here to ask.

I don't think I'll be around much longer.

• Like 1

I keep forgetting from week to week that this show is on. That's not a good sign, is it? I keep meaning to set it to series record, then come Monday I realize I've forgotten once again and have to watch it online with commercials. 

I haven't really warmed up to it much. I'm still mostly bored with the tedious teen plot and only watching for Manx. This still seems like a show that should be on the CW, except I guess they wanted to show explicit lesbian sex and use a lot of swear words.

Incidentally, making Maggie a lesbian feels a little too cliche to me. So does the whole dynamic with Vic and her rich friends from the other side of the track. The poor girl/rich boy thing has been done to death.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:02 AM, Miles said:
  Reveal spoiler

Well I'm highly annoyed by the cliffhanger ending. It sounds like the book spans a big timeframe and multiple adversities for Vic, but the showrunners don't seem to want to let go of Quinto. His character wasn't even interesting enough to be the villian for one season, let alone two.

There is surprisingly little even worth talking about outside of this.

I for one certainly won't be back for season two.

Oh for Pete's sake!  There's a Season Two!?!    I should research my shows more, I really thought this was a limited series, a "one and done" deal.  I thought it was a little better this week but I use "little" in the loosest sense.  Really something needs to happen, something that's not angsty talk about college loans and "I'm not bad I save the deserving children".   But I figured I'd stick it out to see if it picked up and if it didn't well then at least I'd see how it the story wrapped up.  But no wrap up and a Season 2?  If that's the case they really, really need to step up their game (IMHO at least)

Edited by sigmaforce86 · Reason: spelling counts!
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

I hope next week starts ramping up—-I understand needing to establish characters and motivations and everything but it’s time for some action. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Oh for Pete's sake!  There's a Season Two!?!    I should research my shows more, I really thought this was a limited series, a "one and done" deal.

SAME!

This show is terrible (horrible acting, lousy writing) but I record it for Mondays when there's nothing on and figured I could make it through as a limited series. No way I'm back for another season of this.

• Like 4

Yeah, I too am recording it to watch later when I have nothing else to do...like today. It's not picking up or getting better. 

• Like 2