Type keyword(s) to search

CBS This Morning - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Of course, Gayle King was at Meghan Markle's baby shower. Have they ever met before yesterday? And it is rumored that Oprah's private plane whisked Meghan back and forth to the UK. Gayle claimed she couldn't comment on the shower, because Meghan is oh so private. Big eye roll there. But, then she had to elaborate about how wonderful and generous she is because she "donated" the baby shower flowers to charitable groups. Um, the flowers were "donated" for a fee of $1750 by an organization that was featured in O Magazine. Gayle also claimed she had never heard of that organization. Does anyone tell the truth anymore?? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

There are rumors going around that CBS wants Norah to replace Jeff Glor on the Evening News.  There were rumors late last year about Gayle being unhappy with the direction of CTM and CBS wanting to revamp the morning show again.  Can't blame Norah for trying to move up to evenings if the future of CTM is in doubt.

• Love 1

After seeing clips of the R Kelly interview, I just have to say, Gayle King rocked!  When she said, “Robert,” I could just imagine one word and a look would have stopped her kid in his tracks! Not Kelly though, he just kept ranting, having his tantrum.

• Love 5
(edited)

Ick, Avenatti.  It was something to see people realize he was complete slime.

No surprise:  There are rumors that Bianna is leaving.  Since her deal stipulated a co-host spot on CTM, she is going to leave the network entirely.

The whole article is interesting.  Yashar is saying John Dickerson is still set to leave, and if Norah is moved up to Evening News, CBS wants Gayle to co-anchor with two men.  Anthony Mason is one of the names they want to co-anchor beside Gayle.  Didn't everyone say Anthony should have replaced Charlie?  John Dickerson was always a weird choice.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 2

The article stated that the CBS boss wanted two men to anchor with Gayle King. 

I defected from the Today Show because I like the content of CBS This Morning better. The mix of anchors on this show does not work so it is good that they are shaking it up a bit. Now, if they could just do something about the set. 

• Love 2

They picked the wrong anchor to get rid of, I am so tired of Gayle. She has to put some opinion quip at the end of every story. So annoying. Just give me the news I don't care about your opinion. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

I think they're keeping Gayle because she has tons of contacts and sources.  The article said Bianna did too, but I guess they think Gayle's people are more valuable to the network than Bianna's.

Gayle's been on fire lately too; she got a lot of press/attention for the R. Kelly interview and more recently the two women who alleged that the Lt Gov of Virginia sexually assaulted them. I like Bianna, wish she'd had more opportunities to shine, and will miss her. 

I caught the David Begnaud and Tony Dukopil tryouts last week. I love David, but I really love his reporting - an anchor spot would be a nice reward for his excellent work, but (selfishly) I'd rather see him chasing down new stories.  Tony Dukopil was kind of meh, IMO.  Do they have anyone else to audition?  I'll miss Anthony Mason big time on Saturday mornings  - and Norah too, but good for her if she gets the news spot -- if this plan comes to fruition.

• Love 1

I don't follow news about the news so these latest developments are a bit of an unwelcome surprise to me. I do agree that there are too many anchors and was baffled when Bianna—who I like a lot—joined the team. If her contract stipulated that she'd be an anchor, then TPTB should have waited until they actually had an opening. I'd be very sorry to see Norah go but I'm kind of ambivalent about John Dickerson. In general I like him but I don't think he's a good fit for the morning show. When they needed to fill Charlie's spot, I thought it would go to Jeff Glor or Anthony Mason. Gayle doesn't bother me in the least and I'm okay with her being a bit more of a personality than a straight news person. She good with the fluffier stuff and she's really come into her own with harder news. Her connections don't bother me either. Her friendship with Oprah (who I've never watched or followed in anything) may have given her a start but I don't think it would keep her in the position she has if she sucked at it. Overall though, I like the current team (the trio—again, Bianna was just an unnecessary addition) and think they work well together but whatever moves the network makes, pleeeease don't turn away for the current, more serious news format. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/2/2019 at 12:10 PM, junemeatcleaver said:

think they're keeping Gayle because she has tons of contacts and sources.

The only reason Gayle is on this show is because of Oprah. I just can't stand her commentary. Do you think Oprah would show up on The Today Show as often as she does on CBS This Morning? 

On 4/2/2019 at 6:45 PM, harrie said:

Gayle's been on fire lately too;

I'm sorry. They pumped up the R Kelly interview on late night and any other CBS show they could to make it a big deal.

She does not do real news. Just watch the first 20 minutes of the show. She's always the last to talk and throws in some short editorial quip at the end. Not what I want to hear.

Edited by Subrookie
  • Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Subrookie said:

The only reason Gayle is on this show is because of Oprah.

Well, yeah.  I don't think anyone is naive enough to believe that Gayle gained most of those contacts and sources on her own, she got them by being Oprah's ride or die.  And, yes, they also like that Oprah gives CBS first looks at her various projects.

We'll see if CBS's gamble of centering This Morning on Gayle pays off sooner or later.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Subrookie said:

I'm sorry. They pumped up the R Kelly interview on late night and any other CBS show they could to make it a big deal.

And so did Jimmy Kimmel, Ellen, and other non-CBS shows, even though they had nothing to gain by it. 

10 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Well, yeah.  I don't think anyone is naive enough to believe that Gayle gained most of those contacts and sources on her own, she got them by being Oprah's ride or die.  And, yes, they also like that Oprah gives CBS first looks at her various projects.

We'll see if CBS's gamble of centering This Morning on Gayle pays off sooner or later.

I don't disagree that Gayle benefits from her friendship with Oprah, and I too question making her the centerpiece of CBS This Morning. But sometimes you find out that someone you never suspected is actually the glue of a group, so who knows?  Or, it'll be a huge debacle.  (I'm an exception, I know, but I knew who Gayle King was before I ever heard of Oprah, as Gayle anchored our local news for 18 years.)

I think CBS added Dickerson for his political expertise - not a bad idea when some aspect of the government is almost without fail either the top or second story of the broadcast - but I guess he doesn't come across warm an fuzzy enough for many. I like him and appreciate his dry sense of humor;  and I hope he lands on his feet if there is indeed a shakeup.

• Love 6
(edited)

This has been a great discussion. On my end I still think, and I appreciate other opinions, that Gayle's only purpose on the show is because of her connection to Oprah and pop culture. 

I choose to watch CBS over the other channels because historically they do hard news. Gayle doesn't do that. She IMO doesn't do any of that. I might have an unpopular opinion here but I just don't want to hear an editorial opinion at the end of every news story they do, she does that. 

I'll watch another show if they keep this up. 

Edited by Subrookie
  • Love 6

I'll preface this by saying that I have no ill will to Gayle. She's a fine person, I'm sure.  But, she has no business on a news program, imo.  When Gayle first went to CBS Morning News I was flabbergasted.  I couldn't imagine it and actually thought it was a mistake or joke.  Eventually, I figured out what it was.  I don't dislike Gayle, but, when I think of the thousands of more competent people who would do so well in her position, it makes me a little resentful.  Here's an article on Oprah encouraging Gayle in her negotiations to get what she wants! lol  Cracked me up.  I would think they would be paying CBS for her to be allowed to work there, not the other way around. lol  OH......maybe,,....well, you never know.  Who's to say?

https://pagesix.com/2019/04/30/oprah-winfrey-has-been-advising-gayle-king-in-cbs-contract-negotiations/

• Love 3
(edited)

It sounds like a done deal:  It's being reported almost everywhere that Tony Dokoupil and Anthony Mason are Gayle's new co-anchors.  Norah is still expected to become the new anchor of CBS Evening News.

I wonder who's source for the NY Post article about Norah being a nightmare to work with.  They're saying part of Gayle's new deal was getting Norah off the morning show and that Norah was the one behind the 'CBS wants to fire Jeff Glor' rumors.  Norah's reps shot down the gossip about Gayle running her out, but nothing about her being behind the Jeff Glor rumors.  Hmm...

links
(edited)

I'm done with this show if this is the case. Norah wasn't great but at least she was a real journalist compared to Gayle. My favorite was Erica Hill but she's long gone. 

Edited by Subrookie
  • Love 1

For at least the last year the animosity between Gayle and Norah has been apparent. The show really suffered when Charlie got fired, because before that it at least seemed that the anchors liked each other.

John Dickerson is a fine reporter, but bland as bland can be. Per Blind Gossip, he's staying, at least for now. I really like Vladimir Duthiers and think he would be a good addition as an anchor.

I like Norah and hope she has a soft landing if she's really fired from CTM. She needs to lay off the Botox.

Gayle is likely to reap what she has sown with these machinations. 

• Love 4

Gayle is likely to reap what she has sown with these machinations.  

Norah isn't exactly innocent either if it's true she was the one planting rumors about Jeff Glor getting fired in order to angle for the Evening News job.  Maybe that's one of the reasons Norah and Gayle's relationship went south, they let their ambitions take over.  If any of that stuff about them hating each other is true, that is.

I can't see the new lineup doing any better than the current one.  I guess they'll be cheaper than Norah and John Dickerson.

• Love 1

I would think that Nora's move is a promotion, right?  I'd relish the prospect of getting off a news show with Gayle on the panel.  It was better when Charlie was there, but, I can't watch it at all now.  It's sad that I can turn to any of our four local stations and find multiple news anchors who are MUCH better than Gayle.  And there she sits.......I just find it irritating. I normally adore Oprah, but, this thing makes me scratch my head.  

• Love 2

Honestly, I don't fault either woman for their rumored ambitions.  And if everything pans out as been reported, they both won, whether it's depends on folks' personal opinions.  Norah's publicist did have a good point about how none of these rumors about her would be reported if she was a man.  I don't know about that, but I doubt it would be framed as CBS' two biggest news stars being in a catfight.

I do agree the show lost some of it's shine after Charlie was fired.  They should have auditioned people before settling on John Dickerson imo.

• Love 1

I really like and admire John Dickerson, and I'll be quite sad if he's let go. I'll also be very disappointed that he took this "promotion" out of loyalty to the network, leaving the job I think he really wanted—heading Face the Nation. Margaret is now entrenched in that position, and there would be hell to pay on the culture wars' front if he displaces a woman. But he was much better at the job than she is!

I'm probably an outlier, but I like having a serious journalist/reporter anchoring my morning news who is intelligent, capable of writing his own stuff, thoughtful and modest. Rose was a nightmare of ego, even before the revelations about his behavior, and Nora isn't nearly as smart as she thinks she is. 

• Love 5

I just caught wind of this today during the shows opening and they discussed the changes.  I won’t really miss Nora too much and luck to her on the evening news.  I record and watch Lester Holt in the evening.  I can only tolerate this morning show.  ABC and NBC morning shows are circuses and all that audience screaming just gives me a headache.  And these days I ff through most of the stories about war, IQ45, mass shootings etc.  2 hours usually becomes 30 minutes.  I am sad about John.  I like his calm tone and demeanor and hope things work out well for him.

One thing.  I really wish someone would talk to Gayle about her leg rubbing during the show.  I am pretty sure it is a ‘tell’ for her.  Wonder what it’s about.😈

• Love 5
On 5/6/2019 at 1:34 PM, Lifesabeach said:

I just caught wind of this today during the shows opening and they discussed the changes.  I won’t really miss Nora too much and luck to her on the evening news.  I record and watch Lester Holt in the evening.  I can only tolerate this morning show.  ABC and NBC morning shows are circuses and all that audience screaming just gives me a headache.  And these days I ff through most of the stories about war, IQ45, mass shootings etc.  2 hours usually becomes 30 minutes.  I am sad about John.  I like his calm tone and demeanor and hope things work out well for him.

One thing.  I really wish someone would talk to Gayle about her leg rubbing during the show.  I am pretty sure it is a ‘tell’ for her.  Wonder what it’s about.😈

Maybe she has leg cramps?  If so, she needs to sleep with a bar of unwrapped Ivory Snow between the sheets. It works!

• Love 1

I rarely watch CTM, but really like John Dickerson and thought he was terrific on FTN. I've only watched occasionally since he left and I'm not fond of his replacement. I think he's going to 60 Minutes, which will hopefully be a better format for him. His Whistlestop podcast (at Slate) is very entertaining. I think he likes that "storytelling" aspect of history and maybe he can bring some of that to 60 Minutes.

I'm not fond of Gayle and don't really have strong feelings either way about Norah. 

• Love 3

I've always liked Anthony Mason, and I was one of the people who thought he was the obvious replacement for Charlie Rose.  He was great on the Saturday program, though.  I also had hoped he would have taken over Sunday Morning after Charles Osgood retired.   

But I came to really enjoy John Dickerson on CBS This Morning.  He is witty and not as bland as he may initially come across.  I agree that he never should've left Face The Nation, though.

As for the new trio - I'll have to get to know Tony.  I definitely don't like the tweak in the graphics.  Trying too hard to replicate some aspects of Good Morning America (the "CTM" nickname), and the yellow behind Gayle is wayyy too bright.  Yikes.

• Love 3

If this turns into Today or GMA I’m out. I appreciate the more serious attitude they take toward stories at CBS and I agree the other two are like circuses. My take on Norah and Gayle is that they were at least work friendly (based on my instagram research!)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Maire said:

If this turns into Today or GMA I’m out. I appreciate the more serious attitude they take toward stories at CBS and I agree the other two are like circuses. My take on Norah and Gayle is that they were at least work friendly (based on my instagram research!)

I'm with you, Marie......I don't like all that pop culture, celebrity news, and other "fluff stuff" that Today and GMA fill their shows with. I've watched the new format and hosts on CBS, honestly, I'm not too impressed. Gayle is much too overbearing, and is drowning out Tony and Anthony with her loud voice and opinions.....JMHO. It will be interesting to see the ratings.

• Love 2

My take on Norah and Gayle is that they were at least work friendly (based on my instagram research!)

I was a little skeptical about the feud rumors.  Norah got a promotion, I don't think it was a big, Matt Lauer getting Ann Curry fired, type of situation.  Tension, maybe.  Out and out war, probably not.

It will be interesting to see the ratings.

I don't think they were that great in the first place.  There were rumors that CBS were thinking of host and format changes going back to November.

• Love 2

I just realized how much Gayle King and Oprah sound alike! Is Gayle "channeling " her idol?? Or, at least, her Idol's voice???? Still not sure I like the new format and anchors.....we shall see.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

I think I heard Oprah claims she was the one who started to sound like Gayle.  Considering their polar opposite upbringings, it's possible, but who knows what's the truth.

Jeff Glor is taking Anthony Mason's place on CBS This Morning Saturday.  That is one steep demotion.

I haven't read this thread much, so forgive the potentially redundant question, but what did he do to prompt the removal from evenings?  Was it a ratings play?

(edited)

I feel like my head is going to explode after watching the ignorant self absorbed cuntch “trophy hunter” this morning.  So many offensive things she said especially that the giraffe was delicious, with her big buck toothed grin and trying hard to not slip into her valley girl voice.  Why would they have such a person on a news program?  What is newsworthy about her?  I am pretty sure that all at the table wanted to reach across the table and bitch slap her till she was bloody but are not allowed by journalists standards to express personal opinions.  Way too bad.  This has ruined my day and I wish I could unsee and unhear her.  I hope so hard that karma comes back to her and takes a giant bite out of her.  Bet she’s not so delicious, just vile and maybe poisonous.  🤮🤮🤯🤯💩💩

Edited by Lifesabeach

I watched the Saturday morning show for the first time this weekend and Jeff seemed to enjoy his new job. Maybe it was a good move for him.

• Love 3

Saw O'Donnell's debut in the "Big Chair" tonight.  Pretty impressive. Came out strong, in-charge and oozed confidence.  I've always been a fan of CBS's news operation, the gold standard in my mind but I'm always worried when a 'morning host' takes up the flagship broadcast.  Something about having had to endure doing "10 Best Christmas Cookies" segments on the early shift does a number in the gravitas department when taking up anchoring the main newscast.  I guess it remains to be seen if the company brass let her stay no nonsense like she showed this evening. I hope so. 

• Love 4

Is it just me, or has Gayle King gotten more and more unpleasant to her co-hosts? She took Anthony Mason to task on air yesterday for briefly stumbling over her name. I mean really, Gayle, you got rid of the co-hosts you wanted to get rid of, and I assume handpicked your new ones. Still there is little chemistry. Try not to be overtly rude to them.

I would have thought that the lead of a major network news show (as "CTM" likes to bill itself) would cut short a vacation to cover crises like the mass murders in El Paso and Dayton. Not Gayle. But the truth is, I like the show better when she is on one of her many vacations.

The irony is, I started watching CTM years ago because of Gayle. It's sad that I am actually considering going back to Today or GMA. 

• Love 1

Gayle is a diva. Always was and always will be. Years ago when she was a young reporter she was obnoxious even then. But she is good on this show and I like Anthony and Tony. The show has improved.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Is it just me, or has Gayle King gotten more and more unpleasant to her co-hosts? She took Anthony Mason to task on air yesterday for briefly stumbling over her name. 

Yeah, that was rude and made for a very awkward moment. Gayle does bring in the awkwardness with some regularity with the other hosts and guests.

That said I do like most of the changes- talk of the table and before we go segments in particular. I could do without the overly repetitive teasers and the recap at 7:30 and 8:30. People who tune in late can get it when they repeat the leads at 8.

Still the best, most news oriented morning show, which is the reason I watch.

Edited by knitorpurl
Because with and without have completely different meanings.
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, knitorpurl said:

Still the best, most news oriented morning show, which is the reason I watch.

Agreed, and same. I guess there may be better cable morning news shows but I want my local news and traffic updates on the half-hour.

I especially like the What to Watch segment with Vlad Duthiers. He is great! I was surprised that he wasn't moved to one of the co-host positions, but maybe that's better for him...

• Love 1

I record and watch this everyday, with much ffing. I cannot stand the other morning shows with the audiences screaming all the time......Annoying!!!

And yes, Gayle has definitely positioned herself as the Queen Bee of that hive.  I like all the guys.    I used to think it would be cool to hang out with gayle and Oprah, now not so much.  

As each day goes by, I am more annoyed by the way too long bangs on Gayle's wig. Trim those effing bangs!

I think it's a symptom of my general annoyance with her and the way she's lauded as a great interviewer when I think she mostly throws softballs. But for the love of God, trim the bangs.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I used to think it would be cool to hang out with gayle and Oprah, now not so much.  

I had heard Oprah, Steadman and Gayle are very, very close, almost to the exclusion of anybody else.  I can't fault them for that since just about everyone in Oprah's life has sold her out.

I don't care about Gayle ruling the roost, but it's really annoying when she talks over her co-hosts.  It's a smart move to keep the show mostly the same, too.  It's still a nice, occasional alternative to the other network morning shows and I think it's better than the AM shows on cable.

• Love 1

Is everyone sucking up to Gayle now, since she is the queen bee at CBS (and, of course is best friends with Oprah)? She went to the wedding of Misha Nonoo (a designer) in Rome over the weekend, despite only having met her a few times. Social climbing Misha sat Gayle at the head table alongside Misha and Misha's billionaire husband. Gayle is also besties with Meghan and Harry now, don't you know and one of their staunchest defenders. Cannot stomach any of these people and their enormous egos. 

• Love 1

I often rag on Gayle, so I have to give her props for her comment this week after a story about the cost to women for follow-up testing after mammograms. She said that if men had to have their penises squeezed in a machine the way women's breasts are for a mammogram, there would be a different method for cancer screening. I agree.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5