Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: NCIS: Los Angeles

MostlyC
  • Start Topic

I don't mind the boat plot but how many plots did we have with somebody connected to Sam in the past resurfacing being caught up in something shady and Sam insisting on their innocence? Harley's cool and I love her. Mosley was okay - interesting that for once she did not mind all the dead bad guys. And Callen: nope, I'm not impressed by the idea of spending Christmas at the pool-side, quite the contrary.

Pet peeve alert: If you own a Porsche you should be able to pronounce it properly.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

how many plots did we have with somebody connected to Sam in the past resurfacing being caught up in something shady and Sam insisting on their innocence

Have there been that many? I remember Ruiz, his former partner, and the SEAL guy that he trained from season 1 (but he wasn't really connected to Sam except that Sam trained him) and Mo, the "lost boy" from the Sudan, but outside of those, I don't remember any others from his past (but there probably were). Anyway, they were all so different I liked them because they gave us a little background for Sam's character.

I'm not impressed by the idea of spending Christmas at the pool-side, quite the contrary

Maybe not Christmas, but when the Rose Parade came around, the announcers always marveled at the beautiful weather on New Year's Day. lol

I you own a Porsche you should be able to pronounce it properly

Absolutely! But it's surprising how many people who actually own one don't pronounce it correctly.

I like the idea of the boat- allows Sam to work and keep busy - like Gibbs and his basement. Harley was great on this episode. 

Where’s Moseley getting her money from?  A Porsche, really expensive guns, private club membership - in LA, where she just moved to.   Wonder what the backstory is.  And why was her Porsche in the motor pool with the keys in it? 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I like the idea of the boat- allows Sam to work and keep busy - like Gibbs and his basement. Harley was great on this episode. 

And why was her Porsche in the motor pool with the keys in it? 

I like the idea of the boat. I did like Harley in this ep. Mosley kind of reminds me of Tony in NCIS who had "family" money. As for the Porsche, it was probably transported to LA and the motor pool lot would be a logical place to deliver it and some transport companies leave the keys with the car. 

• Love 1

Not loving the way Mosely is using her status/position - she seems to think she is all that and a bag of chips at the moment.

In the Criminal Minds forum there was a lot of discussion about the appropriateness of Garcia's attire for the FBI - I have to say that Mosely with cleavage and lace bra showing is far from appropriate for an enforcement agency.

Hope Eric gets to grow up a bit this season.

• Love 2

What happened to Nell this week.  Eric had long, long scenes where he was alone in OPS with his little tablet, and Nell was nowhere in sight.  I was beginning to think she was not in the episode at all, but suddenly she popped up to say one line, then a little later she popped up again--then poof! gone again.

I like Nell and I like her spunk when they use her in the field, so I hope they are not shoving her aside for Harley.  However, if Nell had been doing the undercover event staff role--could she, or would she have shot that bad guy that was shooting at Callen?

There has always been speculation that NCIS has been grooming Nell to one day be Operations Manager but if she is ever to be in that position, she has to be MORE than a smart analyst.  She needs to be more hard core--like Hetty.  I was going to say that she should be a "mini-Hetty", but I don't think that is possible. 

Edited by UncleChuck
  • Love 1

I like Nia as an actress but not in this role. Why do the writers always bring in a commanding officer w this characteristics? Only thing I'm liking is Kensi/Deeks Densi

ETA: the actress that plays Anna isn't that good of an actress thus can't ever get into her scenes

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Samantha84 said:

I like Nia as an actress but not in this role. Why do the writers always bring in a commanding officer w this characteristics? Only thing I'm liking is Kensi/Deeks Densi

ETA: the actress that plays Anna isn't that good of an actress thus can't ever get into her scenes

I like the Mosley character because she brings some tension to the team; everything with Hetty was getting too cozy and familiar--and that can be boring. I also happen to like how the writers are handling the changes Sam's going through (his scenes with Callen have been really good) and I love the dynamic between Callen and Anna (episode 2 had some terrific scenes with them). I hope we see a little more of Eric and Nell, but I think we're seeing enough of the other characters--and I'm glad the writers seem to have brought the Densi scenes down a notch. All in all, I'm liking the direction the writers are going this season.

@Samantha84 you're back! I haven't seen you on here in months. Where've you been?

Decent episode tonight. Nice to see OverWatch spray making its return. I've always felt like they don't utilize that enough. In fact I'm surprised they don't tag themselves when they are going undercover. It would make it much much easier to keep an eye on each other in scenarios where com's or cell phones wouldn't be appropriate.

I really enjoyed episode 5, I am starting to like Hidoko, Mosely grates on me, but I think she is meant to.  Arkady is hilarious.  I thought it was perfect with the shower scenes and Kensi and Deeks' reaction, but the jewellery was a little bit odd.  I am missing Hetty.  I know they overwatched the "bad guy", and they left it so it can be a story arc that comes back, but it felt a little unfinished to me.  Finally, does anyone else think Callen doing a Hetty?  

My main problem with Mosley is that we've seen this plot already twice and third time's not the charm. For once I'd like to see a new boss waltz in with a laid-back attitude and just tell the team to proceed as usual. They'd all be reeling from shock.

I loved how Callen did recognize Arkadi's jewelry on Deeks (who should have given it back and nix the receipt).

Is Callen about to pull a Hetty on that kid? Sure looks like it.

• Love 3
On October 24, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Tony Dickson said:

And again with the firing two pistols at once trope.  I'm sick of it.  

Really? When was that done before on this show?

23 hours ago, MissLucas said:

My main problem with Mosley is that we've seen this plot already twice and third time's not the charm. For once I'd like to see a new boss waltz in with a laid-back attitude and just tell the team to proceed as usual. They'd all be reeling from shock.

I loved how Callen did recognize Arkadi's jewelry on Deeks (who should have given it back and nix the receipt).

Is Callen about to pull a Hetty on that kid? Sure looks like it.

As for this same plot, I don't see how--given all the problems this team's had recently and Hetty retiring--any boss would come in and say, "Just do what you've always done." And outside of Duggan, who else did that? Not Granger and Hunter only for one case (for a very specific reason).

I didn't think the receipt was for the jewelry; I thought it was for the cash "buy in" Arkady had to give just to come into the place.

I sure hope we see more of Finn (great scene).

On 10/31/2017 at 7:24 PM, Tony Dickson said:

I'm sick of the two pistol trope in general.  What was funny was that her pistols had fancy optics on them, implying she could focus her two eyes separately.  Maybe Mosely is from another planet.

Your comment would make sense IF Mosley fired the two pistols simultaneously, but she doesn't (I watched the scene again). She fires 4 distinct shots in rapid succession, so using sights on the pistols doesn't mean that she's focusing on two separate targets at the same time.

• Love 2

Great episode tonight!

Love the opening scene between Kensi and Nell. Passed the Bechdel Test with flying colors!

It was nice to see some of Deek's reasoning behind why he remains an LAPD liason, rather than becoming an agent like the rest of them. And it was nice to see both Bates and Whiting acknowledging that he is a good cop. Not to mention Kensi, Callen, et al juming into help no questions asked.

• Love 3

I had a bad feeling after watching the 11/5 episode.  So many stories, so little time devoted to each.  I couldn't help but wonder if word had gone out that this was the last season, and they had stories they wanted to tell to fill three years.  I may have blinked, but I don't think I saw either of the two new folks.  OTOH, there was so much action- maybe too much.  And all of a sudden we go to Viet Nahm.  And get a Chegwitten (however it's spelled) clue.  And an Owen Grainger clue.  And then a 'we're not through with you Deeks' clue. 

44 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

I had a bad feeling after watching the 11/5 episode.  So many stories, so little time devoted to each.  I couldn't help but wonder if word had gone out that this was the last season, and they had stories they wanted to tell to fill three years.  I may have blinked, but I don't think I saw either of the two new folks.  OTOH, there was so much action- maybe too much.  And all of a sudden we go to Viet Nahm.  And get a Chegwitten (however it's spelled) clue.  And an Owen Grainger clue.  And then a 'we're not through with you Deeks' clue. 

I'm wondering if I watched the same episode. The main story (plant virus) seemed pretty clear and was brought to a close. You didn't see Mosley or Hayley because this episode was filmed at the end of season 8 (when Bates says he's not ever getting close enough to that tiny lady, Deeks doesn't tell him that Hetty's retired).  As for the Deeks-Whiting story line, that may continue (I wonder if Callen's statements in the earlier episode, "Do we ever really know anyone?" relates to this since only Kensi knows Deeks killed his partner).  I didn't see anything other than the Hetty-Vietnam story line being developed further (a future episode is titled "Prisoner" in Vietnamese), and AJ is due to return several times this season (Granger, however, is not coming back). I'm not sure what you considered the "Deeks' clue."

37 minutes ago, 123BP said:

the "Deeks' clue."

Didn't his ex partner get an 'as she was dying' confession from Deeks that he had shot and killed someone, and then she didn't die?  I think that's what the woman was referring to at the end of the episode. 

I didn't know that CBS had this leftover from last season.  So how many months will Hetty languish in a prison in seAsia?  

No, this episode was meant to be where it was in terms of Vietnam. Hetty has not been a prisoner in the previous episodes. 

Deeks’ secret is known by Hetty, Kensi, and Whitney. Nell now knows there is a secret, but not what. The rest just knew he got roped into helping Whitney. He is still subject to LAPD orders as a LAPD liaison. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Deeks’ secret is known by Hetty, Kensi, and Whitney. Nell now knows there is a secret, but not what. The rest just knew he got roped into helping Whitney. He is still subject to LAPD orders as a LAPD liaison. 

It's not only Nell but Callen and Sam know Whiting has something serious on Deeks because she was able to compel him to help (the "arrangement" that she mentioned). I'm just thinking there might be some kind of fallout later this season the team learns that Deeks' killed Boyle.

42 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

How many people know that Deeks killed his corrupt, dangerous, misogynist, murderous partner?  I feel like almost everyone knows.

The character of Boyle isn't the issue, Deeks killing him is. It's also a problem that Deeks told Kensi because Whiting has threatened to subpoena Kensi, if necessary, and Deeks doesn't want Kensi dragged into this.

• Love 1

My VCR usage puts me a couple weeks behind. " Plain Sight" 9.04 Was glad that Byron Brown wasn't bad. Thought he looked familiar, used to be running back in NFL. But we should know if Sam has a intuition that he is good, he is. But Callen should be right once in awhile also. Was surprised they identified the alive person, Tony Young, but not the dead bad guy, truck driver, or the dead guard. Usually the live one is last.

Should have known the wife, Sasha Livingston had something to do with it. She was a recognizable actress, (The Mentalist). But at-least until they are 100 percent sure, they also arrested the husband, Charles.
I noticed when Sam had the sniper on the hill in sight, there was lighter lines down to his right. When Sam snipped him, he rolled right over them just like they were made from him 'practicing" his dying.
Do like Assistant Director Shey Mosely and Harley Hidoko. was surprised that Leon Vance didn't make at-least a video appearance this season. Did they actually aknowledged that Owen Granger passed? Last season he left the hospital looking to solve something I thought? Hetty found the note.
Liked Deeks and the Porshe, but figured that it would be someone specials car. 

Also in the season opener, Sam wore his weight belt as he and G talked. Well being a diver myself that is usually after my fins and mask, is the next thing to take off, it gets heavy out of water.

6 hours ago, webruce said:

Thought he looked familiar, used to be running back in NFL. But we should know if Sam has a intuition that he is good, he is. But Callen should be right once in awhile also. Was surprised they identified the alive person, Tony Young, but not the dead bad guy, truck driver, or the dead guard.

Byron was also in the episode Kulinda last season; that's how Sam knew him (wasn't sure if you'd seen that). They probably mentioned Tony cuz they were looking for him (prime suspect).

6 hours ago, webruce said:

Did they actually aknowledged that Owen Granger passed? Last season he left the hospital looking to solve something I thought? Hetty found the note.

They haven't actually "found" Granger's body, but they acknowledged that he's probably dead in an episode from last season (Golden Days).

• Love 1

Was Deeks suggesting they both quit, or just Kensi?  Because it the latter, that's just messed up.   And if the former, that's all well and good for him.   He can go be a lawyer.   And by the way Deeks, Michelle was already "out" and still died.  

Did I miss something?  Why was the charge to blow out the door not made powerful enough to kill them?   I get wanting to take them alive for intel, but given the stakes I think you take every shot for the kill.  But I shouldn't be surprised because dumbest. plan. ever.  You don't think detonating 50 nukes around the global is going to cause environmental havoc for the world, including the US?  You don't think enemy powers will detect the launch and send a counterstrike before they realize the targets...or even if they do?  You don't think the US will be at best cutoff from the rest of the civilized world when it condemns them for crimes against the planet?  You don't think the global economy will almost instantly melt down?   

I thought Deeks and Kensi being together was against regs and Hetty and Grainger were looking the other way.  Why is the new hardass Assistant Director totes cool with it? 

• Love 1

I don't think Deeks was suggesting that Kensi quit. When it's come up before he's always been the one to volunteer to leave. I think they are both just recognizing that either they stay together and keep the jobs that they love and are good at and therefore have to live with the terror of losing each other at anytime, or one of them has to leave. They love each other too much to break up and I can't really see that happening now. But each of them also has a very strong sense of duty and won't easily be able to leave their jobs. Particularly because those jobs legitimately involve stopping horrible things from happening. I was actually pretty pleased to see Deeks reference what happened to Michelle in the context of losing Kensi. This is three times now when he's been faced with losing her, of course it's probably getting to him.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

You don't think detonating 50 nukes around the global is going to cause environmental havoc for the world, including the US?  You don't think enemy powers will detect the launch and send a counterstrike before they realize the targets...or even if they do?  You don't think the US will be at best cutoff from the rest of the civilized world when it condemns them for crimes against the planet?  You don't think the global economy will almost instantly melt down?   

You think people who come up with a plan like this think like that? They're delusional--like so many others who commit acts of terror. These things aren't really thought through. That's one of the things about fanatics--they wear blinders and see only what they want to see.

1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

I don't think Deeks was suggesting that Kensi quit.

I got the feeling he wants both of them to quit because if Kensi stays, he could still lose her. Deeks could become a lawyer, but he could also go back to being an LAPD detective. I'm thinking this might lead to them splitting because they can't deal with the stress? It'll be interesting.

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Why is the new hardass Assistant Director totes cool with it? 

Maybe she still thinks of Deeks as temporary. Anyway, she encouraged him to call Kensi--that was nice.

I think Deeks would be the one to leave. I always thought if ECO wanted to leave the show, that's how they would write Deeks out. Or when the shows ends they will be ready for a family and both leave to do something less dangerous.

4 hours ago, Maverick said:

Was Deeks suggesting they both quit, or just Kensi?  Because it the latter, that's just messed up.   And if the former, that's all well and good for him.   He can go be a lawyer.   And by the way Deeks, Michelle was already "out" and still died.  

Did I miss something?  Why was the charge to blow out the door not made powerful enough to kill them?   I get wanting to take them alive for intel, but given the stakes I think you take every shot for the kill.  But I shouldn't be surprised because dumbest. plan. ever.  You don't think detonating 50 nukes around the global is going to cause environmental havoc for the world, including the US?  You don't think enemy powers will detect the launch and send a counterstrike before they realize the targets...or even if they do?  You don't think the US will be at best cutoff from the rest of the civilized world when it condemns them for crimes against the planet?  You don't think the global economy will almost instantly melt down?   

I thought Deeks and Kensi being together was against regs and Hetty and Grainger were looking the other way.  Why is the new hardass Assistant Director totes cool with it? 

One would think the designers of the missile silos  would've placed some bars and grates on the shaft to prevent what they did for entry.  Didn't they ever see the movie The Dirty Dozen. 

I get they are highly trained field agents but even swat teams and military have to train with regularity to for things like tactical repelling let alone shooting/fire fight tactics. Don't they do administrative duties after shootingS at NCIS, seems like they don't even have to fill out paperwork. The frivolous mention of excessive shootouts by Mosley early on was exactly that-frivolous.

10 hours ago, Maverick said:

Did I miss something?  Why was the charge to blow out the door not made powerful enough to kill them?   I get wanting to take them alive for intel, but given the stakes I think you take every shot for the kill.  But I shouldn't be surprised because dumbest. plan. ever. 

I think the launch "bunker" was built to withstand a nuclear attack, so maybe the only vulnerable spot was the escape tunnel, and I would think they want to be sure that the people inside are dead which means they'd have to cause a blast that wouldn't cave in the tunnel so someone could check out the situation.

5 hours ago, misstwpherecool said:

One would think the designers of the missile silos  would've placed some bars and grates on the shaft to prevent what they did for entry.  Didn't they ever see the movie The Dirty Dozen. 

I get they are highly trained field agents but even swat teams and military have to train with regularity to for things like tactical repelling let alone shooting/fire fight tactics. Don't they do administrative duties after shootingS at NCIS, seems like they don't even have to fill out paperwork. The frivolous mention of excessive shootouts by Mosley early on was exactly that-frivolous.

It's an escape tunnel for the people inside, so bars might not be a good idea. And Kensi was chosen because of her size, right? It didn't have anything to do with SWAT not being qualified. And please, don't have them fill out paperwork! The show is less than an hour already; I don't want to waste more than 1-2 minutes on paperwork.

• Love 1

I was claustrophobic just watching Kensi shimmy her way through that tunnel and into the bunker.

Confused as to why Kensi couldn't just shoot the lady, though. Was the bunker metal that bullets would have richocheted around?

• Love 2

I think they were hoping to use the grenade to disorient both of the rogue officers. And it was easier to deal with both of them at once using a grenade. Kensi is a great shot but all it would take is one of them managing to get a shot at her. She had no cover at all until she got out of that tunnel. Which is when she discovered that the officers were both dead.

1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

I think they were hoping to use the grenade to disorient both of the rogue officers. And it was easier to deal with both of them at once using a grenade. Kensi is a great shot but all it would take is one of them managing to get a shot at her. She had no cover at all until she got out of that tunnel. Which is when she discovered that the officers were both dead.

I seem to remember her exiting the tunnel into the bunker (or at least, hanging out at the very end of the tunnel with a clear view of the bunker), seeing the woman holding a gun to the (unarmed) guy to tell him to get back in his seat (with the woman's back to Kensi), and then Kensi tossing the grenade. To me, it would have made more sense to shoot the woman in the back. Kill her, there's no longer two of them to release the nukes, and then if the guy showed even a hint of aggression, Kensi could shoot him also.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

I was claustrophobic just watching Kensi shimmy her way through that tunnel and into the bunker.

No.  Kidding.

That one camera angle where they showed the tunnel and the shoring pipes getting smaller and smaller, and Kensi's face when she realized what she was being asked to do, you know, to save the world, and her realization that she was going to have to suck it up and do it?  Yikes.

I'm still confused, though, on the political motivations behind launching the nukes.  Maybe I was in the kitchen pouring a glass of wine during that part...

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I'm still confused, though, on the political motivations behind launching the nukes. 

I didn't get any political motivations. I think the motivations were more military: there is no end in sight for the war against terrorism, so this was a way to end that war once and for all (more tactical than political).

44 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

The political implications were that the nukes were being targeted to muslim-majority cities and countries.

Yes, but it was still a tactical decision--if there was a foreseeable end to the war against terror (which is essentially against Islamic extremism), they wouldn't have taken over the launch sites. It was because there is no foreseeable end; therefore, it's more tactical than political. Miller mentioned that the war will continue for years with unknown casualties; their purpose was to prevent this. If the terrorists were Buddhists (or some other group), they would have been targeting that group.

Did anyone find Moseley's comment at the end, "Hunt them down,  kill them if you have to," a little odd considering she has been so anti-killing people?  I would have thought they would have wanted at least one of them alive so they could try to get the names of the others.  

Is this the start of a new storyline arc?

And wen are we going to find Hetty?  I was thinking in he 200th episode, but the preview didn't seem to suggest that at all. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, LittlePeas3 said:

Did anyone find Moseley's comment at the end, "Hunt them down,  kill them if you have to," a little odd considering she has been so anti-killing people?  I would have thought they would have wanted at least one of them alive so they could try to get the names of the others.  

And wen are we going to find Hetty? 

I didn't find it odd. I always thought Mosley was talking more about collateral damage (but maybe not). Obviously, these guys are extremely dangerous. I was wondering if these people might be part of the group that was searching for Asakeem (I think he's back next episode). Isn't AJ in the next episode? That might be the beginning to wrapping up the Hetty storyline.

I took Mosleys comment as a way of underscoring the severity of the situation. That the person who has been trying to get them to dial back on the kill count is now urging them to take these people out means that if we don't do this the world is going to end.

6 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

And wen are we going to find Hetty?  I was thinking in he 200th episode, but the preview didn't seem to suggest that at all. 

I guess ' if you have to ' was their disclaimer.

Ms By The Book also accepted a 2 premium pistol set from a company that was part of an official investigation a few epis back.

The plot might have been a bit far-fetched, but I'm happy that the show is trying to do new things rather than endless variations of the COTW, and it seems like the Patton Project is going to be an arc this season, which I prefer over the ubiquitous mole storyline. 

I appreciate that Kensi and Deeks have had this conversation a few times on different levels, because there isn't an easy answer. As Kensi pointed out last season, they could leave NCIS and one of them could be hit by a bus crossing the street. In this case, the conversation was clearly less of a logical, "In order to have a family one of us will need to leave and let's talk about that," and more of an emotional reaction to the actual situation that had manifested. It was nice acting by ECO in particular. 

To me, it would have made more sense to shoot the woman in the back. Kill her, there's no longer two of them to release the nukes, and then if the guy showed even a hint of aggression, Kensi could shoot him also.

I could be wrong, but my take on it was that Kensi was too far back/at the wrong angle to actually see what was going on in the bunker. When she pushed herself out she was quite high up rather than at the same height as the chairs/people--in such a narrow opening at that angle she wouldn't have been able to see her targets from even a few inches back. I also don't think she could have taken a shot without making herself a target, since her arms wouldn't have been unrestricted until she was actually out of the tunnel and she had no cover. It was unclear to me that Kensi even knew what was actually happening in the launch center when she came through.  

Did anyone find Moseley's comment at the end, "Hunt them down,  kill them if you have to," a little odd considering she has been so anti-killing people?

I don't perceive Mosley as a person who is "anti-killing", so much as she is career-driven.  She knows that many of the people in D.C. who control her career aspirations believe that the LA team is too quick on the trigger.  The D.C. perception is that Callen, Sam and the others leave more dead bodies behind than any other unit and maybe they need to be monitored.  She wants her superiors to be  happy more than she wants her team to be happy.

However, when it comes down to the nitty-gritty of stopping a group who could end the world as we know it through their reckless behaviors, she is more than ready to do what needs to be done.

It is interesting that Hetty's unit seems to kill more bad guys in any one season than Gibbs and Pride have  in Total.

17 hours ago, misstwpherecool said:

Ms By The Book also accepted a 2 premium pistol set from a company that was part of an official investigation a few epis back.

No, she didn't. Those were her personal pistols--hence the question by Callen about their cost. Nobody in the office would be likely to take gifts from an organization or person under suspicion.

10 hours ago, Jillibean said:

In this case, the conversation was clearly less of a logical, "In order to have a family one of us will need to leave and let's talk about that," and more of an emotional reaction to the actual situation that had manifested. It was nice acting by ECO in particular. 

After re-watching the episode (and I know this will anger a lot of folks), I just think Deeks is NOT agent material. I mean, this is what they do, this is their job. Sam loved Michelle every bit as much as Deeks loves Kensi (and vice versa), but as dangerous as it was and as much as he hated her being in danger, Sam understood when she joined the Sidorov operation (and yes, he broke out of jail to protect her, but he didn't ever ask her to leave that operation and that act didn't put the team in jeopardy). This kind of work takes a special kind of person--like any that entails daily risk and uncertainty (military, police officer, and more)--and not every one is cut out for it. I'm just wondering if Deeks is still cut out for it.

10 hours ago, Jillibean said:

I could be wrong, but my take on it was that Kensi was too far back/at the wrong angle to actually see what was going on in the bunker. When she pushed herself out she was quite high up rather than at the same height as the chairs/people--in such a narrow opening at that angle she wouldn't have been able to see her targets from even a few inches back.

I agree--not to mention all the smoke.

This whole scenario didn't work for me from the second the guy in the other launch command killed his coworker in the bunker. A launch has to be carried out by two separate launch control facilities and both people in each facility must take part in the launch. It's set up that way so that one or two people can't take over a facility and launch. Two people must turn the key at the same time and hold it for set period of time. The key ports are set very far apart such that one person can't do it alone.  This must be done by two people in two separate facilities. From the moment the other guy shot his compatriot, there was no danger. I was just at the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site last week, so this was just too hard to handwave.